WIP - Work In Progress General

It's neat that filtering for "WIP" nets me both the current /WIP/ thread *and* /btg/ (). What're you ladz workin' on?

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Panther, I need Charlie Zone status. Report!
youtube.com/watch?v=YzWP-C8oDPw

>Previous WIP threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GIDSZ4xRZ4U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Saint Duncan.

Just finished this 15mm squad from white dragon that i picked up from salute. Also working on the mech and just finished its scenic base.

Also working on finishing this up after its debut at salute.

Wow

Posting my khorne lord. I had him almost done before I decided to switch his head for this one from skarr bloodwrath. But now I'm stuck on what color to paint his hair. Any ideas lads?

I was getting a little worried when it wouldn't let me post.

I've spent an hour or two building a prototype for my ocean bases. It's ugly right now, but it's also my first time working with Lexan *and* working with a Dremel, so I expect they'll get better as I get closer to a workable master for resin casts. Same overall height once the sand/other terrain substitutes are in as a normal base would be, but 3mm of recess to do ocean textures and water effects in. Bottom right is what I'm aiming for, though with less foaminess. I'm working on these for flyer bases as well, which I'm going to try and keep to Lexan for stability's sake. Sand putty and water effects are in the mail, so no news for a few days. Basing scheme ideas, currently:

>Kabalites/Wyches: Sand bases, bloody sands in the latter's case, maybe a few with elements of water.
>Scourges: On their rocks in the middle of the sea, splashing foam, et cetera. Core of my army, so they'll get the most.
>Talos/Cronos/Razorwing: Over water with jet/gravitic wake behind
>Raiders/Reavers: Leave them on their clear bases at the moment? I'd like to do them like the Talos/Cronos/Razorwing, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to actually build a recessed base without a rim to work with.
I'm still debating how I want to do my Archon, Succubus, and Haemonculus. Succubus will probably be on-rock like the Scourges since I'm using Scourge legs, Archon I don't have an idea yet, same with Haem or his Grotesques/Wracks.

Thoughts on either part?
Turned out great, man, I enjoyed it the last time you posted and I'm enjoying it now. Still makes me think KOTOR before anything else though

what game is this for? these look sick and i love the aesthetic

good question. I want to build a table to play on so i've been looking for a rule set. I was thinking rogue stars or laserburn but they're both a bit grainy for me. I might use warpath firefight with a very low model could, or use double tap and just steal some of the scenarios character building stuff from rogue stars.

I'm about to descend into the abyss

>I'm about to descend into the abyss

Emperor's Teeth! ... and here I am intimidated by a five-man devastator squad. Good luck, m8!

Damn user.
Good luck!

What's awesome is I heard from a coworker that the box was at a nearby store (I was traveling for work) and I knew I wanted it because you can't get them online anymore. (Well see about restocks).

So I called my wife so she could help me not buy it but when she heard she told me to drive back and buy it. And brushes. And paint. And the skink star seer.

I freaking love this woman.

>five-man devastator squad
painting those fucks with the weapons attached to the body is extremely annoying

What are the essential citadel washes? I know nuln oil gets touted as one for general and Necron purposes as well greasing effects but anything else?
I think the blue wash as well for various weapon effects like force weapons and barrels

depends what you paint. I don't use nuln oil at all but use alot of agrax and flesh shade, plus crimson and occasionally blue for tattoos and bruising.

to be honest if I was going to restock my whole paint rack, I'd just buy them all.

Agrax is the one you'll need the most. It works for leather, dark skin, clothes, literally anything that isn't metal and even then it works for gold and bronze.

>How to Moldlines

Moldlines are one of those things that enrage me when I see them on a painted model...but I have no room to look down at anyone. Doesn't matter how I turn the model and look at it, I always miss at least one, and it sits there mocking me.

Okay, right now I was on Crisis suits and have nuln oil.
I don't really want to buy like 30 different paints so I don't want to buy every single paint

Got a question for Tau players;
Do you guys fully assemble fire warriors/pathfinders before painting, or paint them in sub-assemblies?

I paint mine fully assembled. I try to do everything I can fully assembled though. Its' up to you. They don't have to look perfect they just need to look good in groups of 10.

Holy shit what perfect timing, user!

How does Veeky Forums like my tau trees?

I saw that at Salute! Looked good. Didn't get to play on it though :<

Maybe next time!

That's unironically horrifying to look at.

>I can't feel my legs shas'ui!
How do you glue them together though?

Looks to be a bountiful harvest this year.

The smart ones avoid painting the connecting parts, or otherwise scrape off paint from them.

With superglue?

I use poster tack to cover areas that need to be glued so I can still superglue them plastic-to-plastic

You don't have to go full autism like me, but I HATED painting an assembled Strike Team and swore never again. So take that for what's it's worth. At least paint the arms separate from the chest so you can paint the chest well

Oh and don't glue the shoulder on until after attaching the arm because the shoulder's fucking huge and can fuck with the head placement

nuln oil is fine for suits if you want them to look clean. If you want them to look dirty go agrax earthshade.

Yours look much better than mine but seeing that on my desk would just completely demotivate me haha.

Nah yours are fine

I will say that you might want to paint their feet a different color than undifferentiated black, though

As I understand it they're not wearing shoes, just sock like things around their calves

That highlighting on the leg armor must have been painstaking

yeah that pic is old the feet are painted now

I honestly can't remember doing it. I can't decide if that's good or bad

lel my wife is the same way, about 6 months ago I went into a GW for first time in my adult life and my wife saw how awestruck I was with the hobby again so she started putting stuff on the counter (she knew what sets I was considering) and she wouldnt take no for an answer or let me put stuff back. I know you already do but treasure your wife user, and may you have a long life together

So I hate the stupid monopose commissar that comes with that start collecting box so I made some modifications in the hope that they will be useful in 8th. Any opinions?

I like that commissar :<

Looks good, get it painted and see how he looks!

mine went with me for the first time as well.
I only bought the cheap chaos terminator set and some paints, but while I was looking at models she bought me a hundred fifty dollar gift card and gave it to me later that night.

Anyone order parts from spellcrow before? Can you give a general review?

Hey anons, do any of you have a scan of the Tyranid painting guide? The blurred example pics on the GW site with the Maleceptor and the cool looking non-codex hive fleets have me interested!

Got the hair done today, I'm not happy at all, I've found it really hard to paint since it's so wispy and it's nigh on impossible to actually get a brush in there.
Total accident that the hair matches the bark too, it was going to be dark brown but after a few fuckups it ended up like this.

Finished a DA veteran and an Iron Hands whirlwind today.

>and the cool looking non-codex hive fleets have me interested!
Dude. Poison frogs, tropical fish, chameleons and bugs are great sources for alternate Tyranid paint schemes.

Have you checked the mega archives in the 40k general already?

The Mega refuses to work for me, and I haven't been able to find the Invasion Swarms painting guidebook anywhere, unfortunately.

There's the one of the Blue chitin with red carapace hive fleet that looks kinda cool and has yellow markings on the chitin, and a few others in there, but I can't find them anywhere, unfortunately, and I don't have $33 to spare.

I got their Salamandra heads. They're too small for spess mehreens.
Detail was alright though, and I didn't have any imperfections.

from what I can see... she got a bit of a stunned mullet look in her eyes, i rekon make the pupils bigger, but other than that, its coming along great! (sorry if i sounded too quick to criticize about the eyes)

Uh you sure
Nuln oil does plenty to make them look dirty

I do get what you mean about the eyes, I'm just scared of ruining what i've already got by going back over them

this red is very photogenic

not him, but i don't think it's worth the risk of changing. they look fine as is.
I think the only thing I see wrong is that the bark is really close to the color of the hair as you mentioned before.

What is it?

Current WIP Hive Tyrant. Hoping to have him done by the end of the week. Feedback is always appreciated.

And front view. Will be doing washes tomorrow, but I wanted to post a progress pic while he was still clean and base coated.

Glad I hate biotech at a base level so I'll never need to paint Nids

I suck at transitions

I still have a long way to go until I'm comfortable with mine. Until then, washes make for amazing blenders.

>biotech
???? nids are bugs with a hivemind. they dont have technology.

He's referring to the fact that their weapons are alive/attached to them.

Looks decent, power fist on characters might be useful again if the challenge rules are different, if the Commissar have a fixed 3+ to hit then his attacks will be highly useful

>The termy posing like he's from some kung fu movie

This guy is suppose to be a Culexus assassin in train who has gone rogue

Still have to work on the cloak

So custom IG regiment. Currently making here in Veeky Forums. Here's some of the first guys Ive painted. Flamer is still wip.

Also how do you paint straight lines?

>How do you paint straight lines
masking tape

>Also how do you paint straight lines?
The first instinct would be to go slow and steady. Since few people actually have steady hands that tends to look squiggly. Best you can hope for when going slow is consistent line thickness. Probably won't be a straight line though.

Best way to do it is quickly. If you got the necessary brush control and practice you'll even be able to get a consistent thickness over curved surfaces.

Things you need are
>confidence to try it
>skill to pull it off
>brush with reservoir big enough to do it all in one go

THIN

do yourself a favor when you can, and invest in this forgeworld one. i got him on ebay on the cheap. pic releated not mine, but one of my fav models

Thanks for the advices!

I have thinned the paints roughly 50/50 ratio. Should I thin them more?

Masks looks quite derpy when upclose. My GSskills isnt that great.

I'd try light grey

Duncans smiles are so awkward
Bless him

>tfw you spend nearly 6 hours putting as much detail and care into your model to the best of your ability.

>tfw it's just a troop and he is probably gonna be taken off turn 2 by some poorly glued unpainted tau army list clearly built for WAAC.

>playing the game and not selling your army to raise funds to buy another one to paint

You confuse me.

Because user, I want to bring the Sons of Sanguinius to battle in all their glory. I want the enemies of the Imperium to look upon my minis and know the divine and the ferocious might of the Blood Angels have come to punish them for their heresy.

>In reality though until 8th edition drops I will just be continuing to be tabled by turn 3 against Tau and Eldar.

Terrible lighting, but here's a dwarf blitzer

What's the go with drilling for magnets etc?
I'd be worried about going too far with an electric drill, but can't imagine how you'd manage to hold the piece without breaking it while using a hand drill.

I'm guessing it's just "Be really fucking careful" with the electric?

Be carefull and go really slow.

>I'm guessing it's just "Be really fucking careful" with the electric?

That... but I highly do not recommend it. You can easily break the plastic with an electric drill and if it gets caught it will fly out of your hands and smash against the wall. Get a hand drill, the right sized bits to match the size of your mags.

Also very important, make sure you always have your mags on the right side. You want it to be consistent for your whole army. As for drilling, go as deep as the mag needs to go, and use super glue to have it stick, plastic and PVA is too weak to make sure the mag doesn't slide out with the one it's attracted to.

Drill a bit, check the hole, keep drilling if it its too shallow.

How do you hold it while drilling, with a hand drill?

Maybe it's cause I'm used to a super old drill for woodwork when I think hand drill, but it very much required 2 hands to operate.

You can buy a hand drill from some hobby shops, it should use one hand. Use a sharpie to mark the magnets

Really not happy with how he turned out and Christ, I just noticed how retarded the skull on his knee looks.

It looks good, user. What are you talking about?

The cloak's a mess because I really have no fucking idea how to make the 'worn, torn and dirty' look work. But, I guess the paintjob is good enough for playing with.

Starting an ADM army, with the metalica color scheme, heres my first test mini. Too bad the metalica decals dont exist any more, so gotta freehand.

Dude I would say it's beyond table top quality. The cloak is far from awful. Maybe could of gone with more contrast in highlights but that's just nit picking hard. If you really want it to be dirty, maybe flicking some brown to look like specks of mud?

you would win in style if nothing else. i waste about just as much time for each krieg guy i paint, and i dont give a fuck

>tfw it's just a troop and he is probably gonna be taken off turn 2 by some poorly glued unpainted tau

Shame on you for not being smug enough to realize one of your models is better painted than an entire dudes army. Grognards are gonna grog, man. You do you.

What special effects do you guys like to use, I wanna learn more
Been practicing lenses a bit and looking into heat warping of barrel with shades.
Any other fun ones?
Oh and I wanna try force effects on swords

I already posted in /40kg/ but they ain't helpful so I repost it here.
I might want to start a chaos themed GSC army... like, using GSC rules but using chaos models and/or GSC and chaos kitbashes.
How would you think I should go about it?
Using regular chaos cultists as neophytes is a no-brainer (or probably use GSC weapons and some bits with chaos cultists) and the vehicles is also clear but what would work best as acolytes or abarents and the other models?
Opinions?

Epidemius is back in stock, but he's 30 fucking quid. Not paying that for finecast shit, how would you kitbash him?

I need him to be a Tallyma of Nurgle, but he doesn't have to look the same as I'm not fluffing him as THE Epidemius

>and the vehicles is also clear but what would work best as acolytes or abarents and the other models?
>Opinions?
Does your army have a particular flavor of chaos?

Cause generally speaking you could just use mutants for those other guys.
Kitbashing parts from all the ranges can yield surprisingly good looking mutants.
There was someone here a while ago that did a Scavvy warband for Necromunda.
Mixing beastmen, skaven, ork, kroot and zombie bits should get you halfway there.

The other obvious options are of course 3rd party manufacturers.
What specifically you could use depends of course on your theme, which is the reason I'm asking.
If you are going with Khorne I could see some werewolf looking mutants work for aberrants, or if you are going with Nurgle you could kitbash Blighkings and the like.
The nice thing about this is that Chaos gives you the ultimate freedom thematically .

Neat.

Northstar miniatures has a rather stylish Insectoid demon man for Frostgrave. Could account for the palaquin and would thematically fit to nurgle too.

I would go with chaos undivided because using GSC rules, they only have a general cult flavour and not a particular chaos god flavour... rules wise at least.
But yeah, maybe I could kitbash some daemon parts from minor daemons like bloodletters or even possessed marines to make some mutants?
I just had the idea that I could just use a changeling as a magus but he is more tzeench flavor than chaos undivided so maybe not? I don't know.

Good shout, but won't that mean I can't use it in tournaments or even in a GW?

looks great! what's your recipe for the cloak and the red parts?

You could use any of the chaos sorcerers.
If you check reaper for wizards there are loads of other options too.
Heresy has some nice cultits as well.

If I was in your shoes I'd also look into the undead range. The various flavours of ghouls could be useful for mutant conversions.
Maybe even the odd LotR sculpts. There are half trolls in that range. Which reminds me of Scotia Grendel. Their Urban War range has some odds and ends that might be useful too. Nothing particularly chaotic, but they have some cybered up sumo ringers that act as bodyguard in the game. Those would fit right into 40k as well.

The sky's the limit basically. There are some pretty good Inq28 blogs out there. They always have some original ideas for kitbashes. Maybe you could approach building your magos from the same angle that people approach building inquisitors.

>but won't that mean I can't use it in tournaments or even in a GW?
Fair point. That's something I don't usually consider.
What about kitbashing plastic plaguebearers then?
Could bitsorder an undead horse and just put him on that.

Working on a fresh batch of termies

Thanks, and im using the duncan method:
youtu.be/GIDSZ4xRZ4U

Hey Veeky Forums, just working on my Imperial knight here, wanted to get your guys opinion on how to paint his chainsword. I was thinking of making it black with red teeth, or red with black teeth, or should I just stick to the classic black and yellow stripes?