Ok tg, lets discuss

If playing d&d, if you don't roll for stats, you're a faggot, and not welcome to play.

If you write in CN, TN, LN, Or any evil.......you're a faggot and not welcome to play.

There are several books for backgrounds, we'll roll for a background. Based on the background, you can decide your backstory.

This will be your character. Can you play it? Or are you only able to play a snowflake faggot?

We'll roll 3d6, reroll 1's (since I'm feeling generous) and lets go.

I hear there are some that DO NOT, roll for stats. Even worse, I hear some aren't happy with alignments.

Why is Veeky Forums unable to play the correct way? Is it because so many here have NEVER played? Or worse yet, only played online?

B8 harder m8

user pls

No one should have any issue with any of that.

It's because most of Veeky Forums cannot stand the game not being "fun" for them. The problem is their definition of fun, which is "anything outside of my control is not fun, anything that causes autistic roaring laughter and pounding the table causing the microbrew bottles to quiver, is fun"

Also, most of Veeky Forums are minmaxing fucks as you can see by visiting /5eg/ and /pfg/, so rolling for stats means they can't completely control their character's stats. This triggers them because they think that playing someone who has a 5% less chance of hitting will ruin their game experience. They also use strawmans of "hazing new players" and "wah I rolled all 3s on my stats" ignoring that (1) most people don't "haze" new players unless they are jack-asses anyways and would do something rude to the new player whether they roll for stats or not, and (2) most DMs allow rerolls for abominable stat rolls... in fact, the book even has rules for when you are supposed to reroll your stats.

Then there are those who are butthurt that their friend rolled two 18s on their first D&D character. But you know what? That happens. Some people get lucky. Deal with it faggot. At least you didn't nat1 on a death saving throw.

>He thinks the primary reason for preferring pointbuy is minmaxing

Nah, fuck off mate.

No, the primary reason is the need for control and the inability to play an even slightly substandard character because that isn't "fun".

Well guess what you fucking faggots, your "fun" doesn't always matter. Don't like it? Get the hell out of the game. Some people enjoy rolling for stats, and if you are too much of a pussy to handle playing a character who doesn't start with two 18s, then fuck off.

>Also, most of Veeky Forums are minmaxing fucks
^this

>oh no they aren't biting
>I know! I'll respond to my own bait!
>that's a neat trick!

Simply proving a complete misunderstanding of why rolling stats is inappropriate for certain playstyles.

Playing a substandard character isnt the problem. Playing a substandard character when another partymember has two 18s.

>hen there are those who are butthurt that their friend rolled two 18s on their first D&D character

Did the friend get MORE dice to roll? or was the friend given bonus points?

If not, that sounds fair to me.

Are you saying that some of these little bitches demand equal outcome, as opposed to equal chance?
Also, when did d&d become a player vs player competition?

>why rolling stats is inappropriate for certain playstyles.

You mean the playstyle of "I can't handle being completely in control because I'm a huge pussy"? Why don't you play Dungeon World, you dont roll for stats in that. It'd right up your alley.

>lets discuss
>...how you're a faggot if you don't play exactly how I do, which is the CORRECT way

As usual, OP is the biggest faggot of all. Get over yourself, you elitist bitch baby. saged.

Before the butthurt commences, give me a fucking reason to even bother trying to play this thing.

You gave no edition, setting or anything to bother caring about your shit.

I came to make a shitty thread worse.

Also...

...I Came.

NOW WHO THE FUCK WANTS TO LEARN ABOUT FETLIFE, OKCUPID, POF, BADOO, AND DATING FROM A DEGENERATE?!?!

In no time at all I'll teach you guys how to get a girl, get a guy, and learn the secrets of how to Wang Chung tonight. Don't worry, Chung is down for all kinds of crazy shit.

That wasn't OP, you fucking retard.

>since I'm feeling generous
This is the only real part that makes you a faggot. This kind of attitude is cancer.

>I'm not as good as some other people

That's life, faggot. Get used to it.

B R A V O

>I hear some aren't happy with alignments.
>He says, after banning 2/3 of them.

>I hear there are some that DO NOT, roll for stats.
>He says, after letting people reroll shit rolls, negating the whole point of rolling in the first place.

>your "fun" doesn't always matter
even though I prefer rolling over point buy myself, you're still an insufferable bitch who obviously doesn't understand that "fun" is the entire point of playing games in the first place. I haven't seen a post so autistic since someone in /v/ tried to argue that "fun" is "just a buzzword". Please consider suicide, the world would be a lot more fun without you.

>That's life, faggot. Get used to it.

>That's not fair! H8 u!

Yep. If you cannot play any character in front of you you're just shit at roleplaying.

>tfw you miss playing a 4 man fighter crew because no one qualified for anything else

>it's a "there is only one way to play and different creation rules for different purposes isn't the answer" episode

Different campaigns call for different things. Evil campaigns are fun.

What board did you come from? This is superb bait.

>letting people reroll shit rolls, negating the whole point of rolling in the first place.

By that logic, FATE, Savage Worlds, and D&D 3.5 through 5e are shit.

>wah wah it's not fair even though everyone gets to roll the same dice

Rerolling 1's isn't that horrible.

And for 99% of games, people should play one of the good alignments.

By any reasonable logic, OP is shit, what's your point? We've clearly abandoned logic at this point.

Imma fuck a d12 and poop it outta my peehole. Should I use motor oil or canola oil for lube?

WEAKNESS!
IGOR ONLY ALLOW PREGENERATED CHARACTER SHEETS AT IGOR TABLE.
IGOR MANDATE THAT ALL PARTIES MUST INCLUDE HYGIENE OFFICER.
IGOR NOT TOLERATE COMMIE MUTANT SPIES.
EXCEPT WHEN IGOR DEMAND COMMIE MUTANT SPIES.

Rolling is for games where PC's are expected to die, a lot (Paranoia, Call of Cthulhu) while point buy is for games where PC's are expected to drive the plot forward (WoD, ShadowRun).

Of course, you're just going to ignore this and claim that anyone who doesn't do as you say is a bitch that hates fun or some shit.

Why so prescriptive, moralfag? Cant handle some morally grey characters in your fantasy capeshit adventure?

Wait, Druids ha r to be Neutral, and Monks must be Lawful... So, I can't play a LN Druid-Monk multiclass?

My Anus is full of Dingos and their Berries!

If we're running an evil game, then sure.

>Rerolling 1's isn't that horrible.
Either all rolls are random or you're just fishing for 6's, go big or go home faggot!
>And for 99% of games, people should play one of the good alignments.
Then what's the fucking point of the other six alignments?

You can. We'll make an exception for class restrictions.

But....you'll have to figure out how you'll fit in with the rest of the group. Why would the NG mage even want to travel with a Neutral guy who may stab him in the back?

>By any reasonable logic, OP is shit

Explain that logic, please.

>We've clearly abandoned logic at this point.

Clearly you have.

LE can easily exist in a good/neutral party, it's the chaotics that you have to worry about. Hell, even LG can be disruptive if you're anything less than a knight in shining armor.

You know what's fun? Let htem have those heropoints to reroll and avoid trouble.

Then take them away when the plot has advanced too far for them to back away from it. Instant and total tension. sudden every roll matters, and every roll is life and death..

Conversely, why would a LG paladin want to travel around with a NG/CG group who isn't under his restrictions?

>Rolling is for games where PC's are expected to die, a lot (Paranoia, Call of Cthulhu) while point buy is for games where PC's are expected to drive the plot forward (WoD, ShadowRun).

Not at all true. Rolling for hit points, maybe. But not for stats. Also, whether or not PCs are "expected" to die depends on so many more factors than that, that the stat-gen method is pretty low on the list. Also GURPS characters tend to die alot, especially in modern combat situations, and that is a point-buy system. So, your argument is invalid, given that your only "argument" was a couple of example systems.

SOMEBODY FIST MY WALRUS ALREADY!!!!!

LG doesn't have to be Lawful Stupid.

And why would a good character hang out with an LE one? The dude is evil. You going to let him watch your back?

>There are exceptions, clearly the rule is wrong!

You can't see a difference between NG and CE?
Or understand why a Pally would travel with one, but not the other?

WaKkA wAkKa.

My two cents: Rolling is more appropriate for shorter or grittier games. Point boy is more appropriate for games where players want to be able to make a character that delivers on an idea they have for that character and want to see it develop over play.

If watching your back was in his interest? Yeah. I'd trust him more than someone CN.

If he's a friend of mine? Yes. I'd watch where his hands were, but yes, I'd trust a LE companion I've worked with before.

Because sometimes, you need someone who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty to get the job done, and sometimes it's just a matter of him being a friend of yours.

Lawful Evil doesn't mean totally antagonistic anym,y more than Lawful Good means stupid stick in the mud.

>LG doesn't have to be Lawful Stupid.
and chaotic/neutral/evil doesn't have to always be disruptive either, yet it doesn't stop morons from ruining it for the rest of us.
>And why would a good character hang out with an LE one?
Circumstance.

Do my pubic hairs make my ears look fat?

>Neutral
>Stabbing people in the back.
GM, I don't say this often but, "bitch please". Neutral is just good lite. If someone plays a Lawful-to-true neutral character as a backstabber, then they are Playing. it. Wrong. Most people in the world are neutral of some flavor. What kind of dipshits do you interact with on a daily basis that makes you think that Neutral = Backstabbing?

Also: another legit combo, Barbarians must be chaotic, Druids must be Neutral. Look at this background I rolled! "Born to primitive tribe", "warrior culture", "acolyte of the god". Fuck man, that's barbarian-druid.... Maybe barbarian-cleric. I have the stats for it, I mean, I did roll all those those 15+ stats. In front of you. On 3d6 rerollin' 1s.

Both are capable of performing actions that the Paladin would find abhorrent, especially if the pally in question is lawful-stupid.

Except you have yet to prove how the "rule" logically follows.

Can you please stop shitposting??

And how will you start at lv 1 and make it "In his interest" to not kill you and take your stuff?

You're over valuing the "lawful" part of LE.
As for CN, only a madman could even be CN.
So no argument there from me.

> Determining backstory before rolling stats.

Wat. Get out of my game.

>If he's a friend of mine?

>Thinking evil has "friends" that aren't disposable.

>My two cents: Rolling is more appropriate for shorter or grittier games.

And why is that?

>Point boy is more appropriate for games where players want to be able to make a character that delivers on an idea they have for that character and want to see it develop over play.

So your character concepts require stats to be *exactly* as you want them to be? Sounds pretty shitty to me. Rolling for stats in no way stops you from "delivering on an idea," it just makes minor alterations to how you do so.

Unless you mean rolling 3d6 in order, which is definitely not a good idea for that kind of game. But D&D hasn't worked like that for... a long time now. It's been 4d6 to get 6 scores which you then distribute as you please. So if you can't stand your Strength being 1 lower or higher than you wanted, or your Intelligence having to be lower so you can have the Con you want, well, sorry, you're a fucking control freak.

No. I can post whatever the hell I want and it can't be the worst thing in the thread because of OP. Wouldn't you use that liberating knowledge to do whatever the he'll you want?

Besides, I'm just greasing the wheels until someone comes up with the REAL topic of the thread.

You realize level 1 people have back stories. They don't pop out of the womb level 1. Two level 1 people could have known each other for more than a decade.

Also the paladin has no way of knowing a level 1 guy is evil unless he is a cleric. They don't give off an aura yet.

You're dumb, learn the rules.

Fair point.
Stats first.

>not in order
No user you're the one who wants to play a speshul snowflake. You're cancer.

Listen man, I don't know what to tell you. Look across the board and you'll find this to be true.

Believe me or don't, I don't care, I'm not a teacher and this thread's shit from conception.

>Also the paladin has no way of knowing

When the evil guy starts fucking up (and he will, since he's evil) it will be clear. Even if the pally doesn't detect evil on him.

If the player doesn't act evil, then he's clearly not playing his evil alignment. Thus negating your entire argument.

I'm no different than people who want to pointbuy.

I've "looked across this board" plenty. I understand how game design works, moron. Rolling for stats has absolutely nothing to do with how "gritty" the game is. I highly doubt you even know what "gritty" means.

>Look across the board and you'll find this to be true

>Veeky Forums posters PROVE (x)

that's funny stuff

>Implying evil doesn't have friends
Lawful Evil is another word for "I'll do what he can't, not because I want to, but because it's necessary."

>Lawful Evil is another word for "I'll do what he can't, not because I want to, but because it's necessary."

wtf? No user. Just no.

he wasn't even close to lawful evil. Probably more the absolute self-serving Neutral Evil who just went along with the team because it was the best setup he had and he was smart enough to know that.

>When the evil guy starts fucking up (and he will, since he's evil) it will be clear. Even if the pally doesn't detect evil on him.
Evil isn't going to fuck anything up unless he's being played chaotic-stupid.
>If the player doesn't act evil, then he's clearly not playing his evil alignment.
Or he's smart enough to realize that only CE morons blatantly burn kittens and rape orphans just because they can and knows that it'd be in his best interest to be helpful while keeping anything reprehensible on the down-low.

>Shorter or grittier
Randomized stats have certain drawbacks, including the potential to have players have substantially better or worse stats overall when compared to each other. Shorter games (one-shots, like MAID, for example), or games where you're expected to die frequently and roll new characters (Call of Cthulhu) avoid this issue as no player is stuck with a given character for very long, and with enough iterations all players get to experience the highs and lows.

>Point buy for specific characters
I acknowledge that the 4d6b3 can do this job decently well. However, it still has some of the issues of randomized character gen- What if I really wanted to be a SAD caster because that's what I'd most enjoy playing, but I didn't get anything higher than a 14? Or the classic issues of players have much higher or lower scores. Point buy simply lets you avoid this issues and make the character you want to make. Yes, it does remove the interesting challenge of figuring out how to make a set of rolls work for you, but if that's something that you like, you'll get to do more of it if you play a shorter/grittier game.

>Rolling for stats has absolutely nothing to do with how "gritty" the game is.

Not a single fucking thing, does rolling have to do with "gritty".

tg how would you feel about classless system where everyone starts at 1 or zero everything and level skills independently

If that's how you feel then who am I to get in the way of that?

Shine on you crazy diamond.

>Or he's smart enough to realize that only CE morons blatantly burn kittens and rape orphans just because they can and knows that it'd be in his best interest to be helpful while keeping anything reprehensible on the down-low.

There's thousands of different ways that he'll out himself, without burning kittens.

Killing prisoners. Stealing. Lies. Etc.

>I'm no different than people who want to pointbuy.
No you're not, you're a special snowflake "muh agency" faggot.

If stats don't matter why roll 4d6 to begin with? You can have a fun character if with roll 3d6 in order, that just makes minor alterations to how you do.

Honestly, I thought I deleted the picture when I posted it. I'd delete and repost without it but, who cares, it's a troll thread.

>classless system

kys

You realize you can just not do evil things in front of the paladin, right?

Except having slightly better or worse stats is not an "issue." So the length of the game doesn't really matter.

>What if I really wanted to be a SAD caster because that's what I'd most enjoy playing, but I didn't get anything higher than a 14?

Then play a character with a 14? Oh no your saves are a bit lower than normal. A bloo bloo. Also, play a race that boosts that to a 16. If your highest stat is a 13 the book even says to reroll, so I don't see what you are whining about.

>Killing prisoners. Stealing. Lies. Etc.
Good people can lie.

>Dividing the party

That's always a great idea

>No you're not, you're a special snowflake "muh agency" faggot.

Sure. And pointbuy characters aren't? Explain how they aren't yet I am? If both of us are, fine by me. I prefer 3d6 straight down and you can switch two scores just so you aren't a rogue with 8 Dex, but you have no control over what your other stats are.

Evil people tend to have ways of brokering information that generally good characters wouldn't. Like you wouldn't find a Paladin torturing a dude to find out where the cultists are meeting at for their ritual, nor would you find a Paladin bribing some unsavory folk who are working below the cuff either.

Have you never watched a story where two bitter enemies are forced to work together?

>it's a "the party must be within eyesight of each other at all times in all circumstances" episode

You realize that's only a thing during dungeon crawls right, so that individuals aren't caught out. Only fucktards things the party needs to be attached at the hip ALL the time.

And kill prisoners if they're always Chaotic Evil, like orcs (it would actually be an Good act then).

No, they are too. You're both fucking cancer.

Killing evil prisoners is a good act fucktard.

Good people can lie and steal though. Also, why are you assuming that evil's going to go for some obviously evil bullshit the moment it presents itself to them?

Are good characters going to automatically save every damsel they encounter in the woods?

Why won't you play a Rogue with 8 dex, you're just a couple points less likely to succeed in sneaking and picking locks?

>Have you never watched a story where two bitter enemies are forced to work together?

Sure.
Now, explain why those lv1 guys are "Forced" to work together for the greater good.

And why they wouldn't go the opposite way from each other as quick as the immediate danger was over.

Because you cannot qualify for rogue with that Dex score, dumbass.

>Are good characters going to automatically save every damsel
>The woods are FULL of Damsels!

And yes. Good characters are going to try to help others.

>Now, explain why those lv1 guys are "Forced" to work together for the greater good.
Explain how this lvl 1 guy is forced to commit evil acts whenever they present themselves, lest he no longer be considered evil.
>And why they wouldn't go the opposite way from each other as quick as the immediate danger was over.
Because spending time with someone for an extended period of time may cause them to realize that they actually have a few things in common and that they enjoy each other's company to turn from enemies to rivals?

Again, you see that shit happen a lot too.

>Why won't you play a Rogue with 8 dex,

Because you need a 9?

>If you write in CN, TN, LN, Or any evil.......you're a faggot and not welcome to play.
No issues there

>There are several books for backgrounds, we'll roll for a background. Based on the background, you can decide your backstory.
No, there will be no backstories, your back story is that you are from what eve podunk village I place you in. You develop character story while you RP.

>We'll roll 3d6, reroll 1's (since I'm feeling generous) and lets go
Pretty generous.