So now that the Galaxy is effecitvely split in two, along with the Imperium...

So now that the Galaxy is effecitvely split in two, along with the Imperium, do you guys think we should see rebels and renegades expanded upon in the fluff? Obviously we have tons of material on Chaos, but I'm talking specifically about non-chaos rebels.

I'm curious if we'll see a rising human power in the near future now that the Imperium is losing their grip on half the galaxy assuming they don't retcon the rift away with the Primarch of the Mary Sues discovering how to make his own pylons or something.

>So now that the Galaxy is effecitvely split in two
I've been out of the loop, what?

Cadia was destroyed and it caused massive warp storms in a line across the middle of the galaxy.

I love how everyone assumes the galaxy is a two dimensional object and you can't literally go over or under the rift.

Yet another example of WH40Kid stupidity.

I have a homebrew chapter that was invaded at the end of 999.M41
Now I'm trying to decide if I want them beaten up and besieged. Or if time distortion allowed them to rebuild, but the Great Rift has turned their already religious fanacticism up to 11 and now they're invading nearby systems and building a small somehow-even-more-tyrannical empire to maintain for the return of the true Imperium in a fit of obscene religious fervor - probably involving them going above chapter strength, which is unusual for them, since the Codex is a holy document, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

It presumably spans the entire galactic plane.

>Giving him a (you)
Shiggity Diggity Doo, where are you?

>Rebels and renegades

Doesn't sound like an army list that could sell Jewish Workshop many big toys. Don't count on it getting worked on.

Because of beliefs, and chaos and shit, even a normal rebellion quickly turns to chaos and sacrificing people to summon daemons and shit.

I actually love that. Some people are seceding because they just don't like the Imperium, some because of Chaos, and some are just getting even more fanatical without Terra's guidance.
There's plenty of lore of non-chaos rebels.

Maybe if they Faux-Latinized it, GW would be more willing. Whatever let's them get a new trademark.

>There's plenty of lore of non-chaos rebels.
Genuinely interested in hearing about them. All I know are the guys from ops pic

Woah. So it's completely impassable?

It's pretty much just the guys from OP's pic, because contrary to what chaosfags claim, GW has a chaos hardon that's only gotten worse.

No, if you look at high-res version of the map, there appears to be a place to cross near Belis Corona, and an explicitly labelled, "Temporary Rift Corridor" down at that thin point near the Tau and Macragge,

Interesting.

So I take it any black spots are warp storms?

Why is there any close to Terra?

I've always wanted to try creating my own faction based on either the Guard or the Tau (just advanced humans using Tau for rules and shit), and this would give me the opportunity to build one without the whole "Imperium would just exterminatus them if that happened".

The basic idea so far is that a human population of a world discover an ancient facility housing a powerful AI from the Dark Age of Technology. When they power it on out of ignorance, it begins to teach them about the ancient humans that built it and the technological wonders of their society.

This causes a bloody war between Imperial Loyalists who want to destroy the Abominable Intelligence and people who want to learn more about this Utopia. After decades of fighting, the "Utopians"(what their political faction is called) win and they make the AI the leader of their world.

I want to make the AI corrupted, but not in the Chaos sense, but in the way a computer program gets corrupted over time. Basically, it would be like a benevolent leader with Dementia. It wants to follow his original purpose to administrate its colony and make sure they are provided for, but its acts oddly and doesn't remember most of its original functions.

Basically, the army I create would go around to other planets looking for the original STC for this type of artificial intelligence or a uncorrupted version of itself on another planet using what knowledge this AI can remember about the surrounding worlds. Very similar to Mechanicus Explorator Fleets, but more human and with a more noble goal.

I'm also playing around with the AI just using the humans to fix itself because its actually one of the evil fucks from the Men of Iron, but I'm not sure if I want to go grimdark or nobledark with it.

There are other ones, the OP image is the only one that was expanded on at all (and that's not even really canon since it's FFG). What I'm talking about is that there are plenty of mentions of planetary governors getting tired of the Imperium's shit or getting a little too megalomaniacal and seceding from the Imperium before they get BTFO by a guard regiment or decapitated by a SM strike force.

The most prominent example is actually Krieg. The world rebelled and wasn't chaos, but one of the last holdout Guard regiments on the world basically cleansed it with atomic fire and recaptured the world during a 500 year civil war. The Death Korp are actually a direct result of the survivors trying to gain forgiveness for their rebellion.

If GW is going with the whole late antiquity roman empire theme like a few people are saying then we might see more local authorities throwing off imperial governance simply because the imperium cant even get someone to these areas of space just to deliver a harsh message about getting back into line.

I hope if they do an Eastern Imperium and Western Imperium thing they at least find a way to make the factions unique.

>but I'm talking specifically about non-chaos rebels
mate there's at least three more daemon primarch releases that are basically guaranteed, alongside any number of undecided chaos releases (also basically guaranteed because abaddon will probbaly get a new fat and ugly model)

expecting GW to put any real emphasis on non-chaos rebellion, interesting as that would be, is a pipe dream at this point

from what I can see I don't think it will happen

I think that your scenario is actually very close to a canon event. A human world (non-Imperium though) within one of the Tau spheres of expansion discover a complete STC. They were at about an iron age level of technology, but within a few decades the computer they'd built takes over the planet and they are fighting the Tau to a complete standstill (and it's implied that they could easily crush them if the computer wasn't acting 100% defensively).

I really wish I could remember what it was called, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't imagine this.

roll up some renegades?

That sounds pretty cool, I'd love to get a source on that if you remember.

I think GW has no clear idea what the fuck they're doing with this plot

Aren't the Severans still on the Imperium side of the galaxy?

they are in the extreme west i think

>advanced humans using tau rules

now i want to make the totally not federation, with crisis suits as Mobile Infantry backed up by riflemen and heavy hovertanks.

what sort of bullshit excuse could i use, i don't want them to be xeno buttbudies but the imperium would lolnope them into oblivion

So wait, a fucking god being born can cause a fuck murder hole in the galaxy, but one single planet being destroyed causes a gaping asshole across it
The fug

Renegades and Heretics sells plenty, though. Been a FW line for years.

Don't count on GW releasing an army that can be easily converted from existing model lines. They've come a long way but they haven't changed THAT much.

>Being stuck on the same side of the warp storm as the Tau
Just kill me.

Make them fleet based and a necessary evil the imperium grudgingly accepts because they are so tertiary and the imperium has got better shit to do.

The galaxy is absolutely massive, canonically there are still countless human inhabited worlds in the 41st Millennium that have never encountered the Imperium. Given these worlds tend to be located on the galatic fringes anyway, you could totally have an up and coming Federation with independent technological development or something like a partially-intact STC only recently encountering the greater galaxy.

It's in one of the 40krpg Deathwatch books, so not entirely canon. I'm on my phone, so can't check which one.

Nova Terra Interregnum lasted for centuries, spanned the entire segmentum pacificus and the only chaos taint was a couple of Fallen doing business.

Can fluff my ordo xenos/ad mech as an Ordo Machinum explorer fleet trying to reconnect with mars and terra

Other way around.

The planet was the only thing keeping the asshole that was The Eye plugged. Due to Necron tech lying around from their original attempt to seal off the warp permanently, iirc, but that may have been retconned by now.

Now that the internal pressure has gotten high enough to pop the plug, shit has flowed forth unimpeded.

>rising human power

Yeah, it'll be called Abaddon's Dark Imperium. You fucking idiot. What did you expect? The goddamn Federation?

That's Necron technology for you.

My question is, did the Necrons build those pylons right under the nose of the Original Eldar empire, or did they predict the birth of Slaanesh millions or billions of years before the Original Eldar even started their Chaos-god-birthing orgy?

>you could totally have an up and coming Federation with independent technological development or something like a partially-intact STC only recently encountering the greater galaxy.
No.

Because CHAOS, you dumb motherfucker!

After telling the Old Ones to fuck off, the Necrons wanted to seal off the warp permanently to ensure the OOs and their progeny wouldn't ever be a threat again, but before they finished the warp started reacting to the nascent Eldar race and carnage of the war. The Necrons took their nap, the Eldar spawned an Empire, lost it to Chaos, mankind spawned an Empire, nearly lost it to Chaos, the Necrons woke up to find the warp was *still* shitting everything up except now their Galaxy was crawling with sentients again.

Goddamn, if only the Necrons and the Old Ones had just sat around a table and talked it out...

>i have terminal cancer and im sad and i want the whole universe to be sad and dying like me
>i have an ego problem and i cannot stop creating new species despite that each of my creations goes batshit insane

This happened

>fuck our sun is AIDs and everything is death
>hey you, how come you're fucking immortal
>"we have complete mastery over biology"
>well what the fuck make us immortal too
>"lolno"
>[autistic screeching]
>"fite me nerds"
>*War in Heaven*

There's a little bit more depth to why the Necrons were so bitter against the universe as a result of the culture caused by their short cancer riddled lives, but otherwise that's pretty much what happened

Also the Old Ones weren't really having problems with the races they were 'uplifting' until the War in Heaven turned South for them ("o fuk they're unkillable robots now what'd I miss"), which is when they stopped uplifting for fun and instead uplifted for war. Prior to that they would just kinda fiddle with a species or two and then leave.

You called?

This.

I see no reason why this non-imperial human state couldn't achieve some atleast half-decent way to protect themselves from Chaotic corruption.
Perhaps the Computer-Overlord was programmed with information on how to root out Chaos or perhaps any knowledge not ratified by the Computer is deemed heretical and therefore BLAM!-worthy?

How about a society that evolved around blanks as a warp defense mechanism? Maybe they have blank and pariah breeding programs or they mass clone them because they had a chaos incursion before and were saved thanks to people or a person (since they're rare) with the pariah gene.

If you could clone blanks, I'm pretty sure the Culexus would have done so at this point.

>when your own gods created you to be dangerously autistic, overly emotional and inherently self-destructive in a way that can only lead to suffering and pain.

I think the bitterness and their monstrous culture was probably why the Old Ones refused to grant them immortality.

IIRC the immortality thing was just an excuse. The Silent King needed a reason to unite his race, or they were going to exterminate themselves with their constant warring. The Old Ones probably looked at this and were like "Uh, no, you're not ready yet, giving you guys immortality would only harm the galaxy. Come back when you've stopped wiping each other out over territorial squabbles."

And maybe their blank leader could be a Sensei? theres gonna be one or two left knocking about.

Well, it wouldn't really had lead to anything bad if the War in Heaven hadn't gotten to the insane level of horror it did. The Old Ones weren't really anticipating that the Necrontyr would escalate things so hard it would actually damage the collective unconscious of the galaxy.

I would love some Sensei shit back in canon.

user trust me, you do not want to go UNDER the rift.

COMMANDER FARSIDE OUT OF NO WHERE TO TEACH TAU HOW TO FIGHT DAEMONS CUS ETHEREALS ARE GOING COO-COO WITH WARP PROXIMITY.

OOO LOOKIT ME YA GITZ, I'MA SQUISHY POINTY EAR WIV A BIG GIRLY BUM N'NO CLAWZ OR POINTY TEEF OR NUFFIN AND WE GOTZ A SPOOKY ROCK MAGIC BUT LYFE IZ WELL ARD' WEEEEEHH

It's Nids isn't it?

>cloning in 40k

Why don't you tie bad luck charms all over yourself while painting the number 13 all over you while breaking mirrors and walking underneath ladders crawling with black cats?

The eldar will never recover from this.

>I see no reason why this non-imperial human state couldn't achieve some atleast half-decent way to protect themselves from Chaotic corruption.
>Perhaps the Computer-Overlord was programmed with information on how to root out Chaos or perhaps any knowledge not ratified by the Computer is deemed heretical and therefore BLAM!-worthy?
You goddamn fucking retard.

There are only three ways to deal with Chaos in 40k.

1) Do what the Imperium does right now. Kill off all heretics.
2) Do what the Emperor did back in the days. Kill off all religious people.
3) Do what Chaos does. Why contain it? 's cool.

It would be nice to see new lore how a non-imperial human federation deals with chaos incursions. Basically if empire is space catholics then make the other guys space muslims or something.

Are you suggesting Paranoia's Friend Computer In Spaaaace? Is treason punishable by death?

Having decent living standards for population makes deals with chaos stupid and inefficient as risks start to greatly out weight the potential benefits.

Putting cultural emphasis on scientific method and rationality makes idea of deals with some gods seem silly.

Lastly half competent police force should be able to deal with majority of chaos cults. Cults start getting dangerous when they start to sacrifice someone to gods and modern police is able to solve murderer case 95% of times. With better surveillance tech getting 100% is possible.

Only thing that society build without god emperor bullshit would lack would be psyker training program. But on the other hand Tau manage to keep their human populated world from going nova from psyker fuckery, being less trigger happy getting tutoring from eldar would be not out of question and lastly humanity lived for thousands of years with psykers and did not vent extinct.

If they were still canon, the Sensei alone might be a pretty good defense against chaos incursions.

The other option is to simply not have it happen yet. Sure, an independent human world would fall to Chaos EVENTUALLY, but that could be thousands of years later. This would be especially true if they're from a strain of humanity that is not particularly prone to producing psykers.

Seems to be working pretty well for the Krieg... Okay, I get your point.

I always viewed the Imperium the same way most western countries view america, backwards. religious, no healthcare, shoot first attitude and way to much guns/violence

I just realized, this might be a really cool way to use the Talons of the Emperor as a basis for a faction with a working STC (soldiers are Custodes count-as with grav tanks) that use blanks for chaos security(SoS count-as).

It will take a lot of effort for model conversions and writing up the fluff to justify using them on a table, but I've been looking for a project.

As an American I can tell you that is accurate.

Are you just trying to pick a fight?

>decent living standards for population makes deals with chaos stupid and inefficient
Not really. It might mitigate the "join Chaos or die" panic potential, but there's always getting one over on your peers and other temptations.

>cultural emphasis on scientific method and rationality makes idea of deals with some gods seem silly
Sure worked out for the Emperor, right? Up until those gods turned out to be entirely real and more powerful than your science. Then who looks silly?

>half competent police force should be able to deal with majority of chaos cults
Cults can be just as competent as your police. Heck, the cults can be in your police. And they're dangerous well before they get to murder.

A rational being doesn't worship chaos because they see that it leads to destruction of everything, so you need just to teach your populace to embrace rationality and enlightenment simple as that. You can't recruit ISIS terrorists from the ranks of atheists after all.

And they were right. Necrons went murderbot the moment they got their immortality.

This right here is a perfect representation of your average 40k player and why everyone thinks you people are sad little neckbeards.

Being rational doesn't mean being omniscient. The lure of the chaos gods isn't, "Hey buddy, wanna fuck up everything for everyone?" it's, "This is gonna be so good."

Again, that's exactly what the Emperor tried, and it didn't work. (Also a lot of ISIS terrorists are recruited from the non-religious.)

So you're still talking about a solvable problem of information distribution and the Emperor failed. Gee, what a surprise, the dude was a fuckup.

What information are you hoping to distribute about chaos, and why do you expect everyone to believe it without question?

I'm not saying the Emperor didn't fuck up, I'm saying he fucked up by trying exactly what you're proposing.

You don't need to believe it without question, it's enough to disseminate all the information freely and use basic logic to reason why chaos is a bad idea.

Since Tau ships ignore warp storms with their skip-drive technology, doesn't this mean they have access to both sides of the galaxy?

Not that it particularly helps them since their territory doesn't touch the storms anyways.

So everyone in 40k is a retard, then.

COMPELLING!

In what way can't 1 and/or 2 be applied to this suggested civilisation?

>Having decent living standards for population makes deals with chaos stupid and inefficient as risks start to greatly out weight the potential benefits.
Unless you mean utopian post scarcity living standarts chaos can still offer you more. Heck even then it can offer you something because it is not bound to physics.

>Putting cultural emphasis on scientific method and rationality makes idea of deals with some gods seem silly.
Big E tried that. Now he's venerated as a god.
So much for that...

>Lastly half competent police force should be able to deal with majority of chaos cults.
Local Arbites are competent. Adeptus Arbites even more so. But guess what? Everyone can be a cultist.

>Cults start getting dangerous when they start to sacrifice someone to gods and modern police is able to solve murderer case 95% of times.
For that you have to notice them. In a Hive there a billions of humans. Finding the one cult related murder in the batch of regular ones and suicides is close to impossible.
With psykers involved any suicide could be a cult murder. Or someone getting pushed down some stairs at rush hour. Could be an accident. Maybe one guy drew a Khorne rune with water on him, making it a sacrifice. But by the time Arbites are there it's gone, and no one will notice unless they know exactly what to look for.

>With better surveillance tech getting 100% is possible.
Because that works so well for us today? Hint: It doesn't. At all. That's just loading more hey onto the heap were the needle might be.

>Only thing that society build without god emperor bullshit would lack would be psyker training program.
Also something that keeps them united. What else do you think has a Krieg in comon with a factory worker from the calixis sector? Language? Fuck no, their comon dialects are more or less different languages. Upbringing? Nah. Education? Nah. Faith? Aye.

Humans are not completely rational.

The monstrosity of chaos isn't really deducible from any readily demonstrable facts though. Like it being uncontrollable (in the long run), and actively malicious. Smart, rational people are exactly the sort that wouldn't readily reach that conclusion.

>Also a lot of ISIS terrorists are recruited from the non-religious.
Why the fuck would an atheist sacrifice his life for something he doesn't believe in?

Some people just want something, anything, to believe in.

Probably because it gave them something to believe in. People are complex, strange, and not all that rational.

Berniebro suicide bombers? Seriously?

What is this from?

>getting one over on your peers
Tzeentch may have something good to offer. But fantasy China had legal Tzeentch worship and it did not fuck it over so his worship may work in stable society.

Slaanesh would be a bitch to deal with in consumer society.

Khrone and Nurgle have nothing to offer. For aggression you go to jail at first crime and get sedated or join the navy and purge enemies of state as productive member of society.
As for Nurgle it would probably be better to wait for new medicine while having universal health care than risk become mutant, also waiting would probably give you more chances to survive.

>Sure worked out for the Emperor
>Emperor
That was the problem. Hard line atheist state was probably going to fail with ruler becoming a new deity as Stalin did. Rationality and progress makes religion obsolete as in present world where it becomes tradition not a set of beliefs.

Also necrons once fucked the galaxy with science powers so it is a good way to go.
Also warp creatures are no "gods" they are powerful warp creatures and praying to elephants is lacking any dignity.

>Cults can be just as competent as your police
Lack of support, resources, structure, cadre. No they can't. There is a reason why in most places mafia did not overtake police and why ISIS members are not members of police force. Sure marginal problems are bound to happen but killing Russian ambassador by Turkish officer did not spiral Turkey in chaotic worship.

Edit of captain america, it's supposed to be the red skull.

cont.

>But on the other hand Tau manage to keep their human populated world from going nova from psyker fuckery
Actually omitted in the Tau lore. In the Word Bearer Books the quarantene psykers away. With forseeable consequences, when the Word Bearers land they are greeted by a once man with extremities of lightning and the planet fallen to the warp.

>being less trigger happy
Fanatic caste system. if you do anything unbefitting of you caste you have never existed.
The imperium will kill you, but people can at least cry for you afterwards.
In the Tau Empire that would be seen as reason for reeducation/medication. I mean someone did cry for a person that obviously did never existed. Dangerous mental illness I say!

>getting tutoring from eldar would be not out of question
Eldar do not give two shits about non-Eldar. Unless they have no other choice they would do jackshit. And even then they would manipulate their pupils, because they are dicks.

>humanity lived for thousands of years with psykers and did not vent extinct
Psykers getting far more common was one of the reaons why the DAoT ended.
The civilized worlds mostly got eaten. The rednecks worlds put a bolt in the head of every psyker they could find and survived quite often.

Mankind can live with it's psyker potential because of strict control.

Nothing unscientific and irrational if the gods are actually real and can give you real benefits.
Would you start an interplanetary cult whilst killing millions of people if in return you would get immortality, a tentacle dick and a daemonette harem? Sounds like a rational risk to me to take.

>Big E tried that. Now he's venerated as a god.
>So much for that...
A Computer-Overlord that has survived since the DAoT and rules over a small(ish) space-state could have access to alot of societal controll-methods that wasn't availible or practically implementable for the vast domain of the living Emperor.
For instance, without the stigma regarding AI it's fully plausible that the Computer-Overlord would have developed some sort of hardware which it could implant into its population to police its thoughts. Any 'heretic' tendencies could then be dealt with as soon as they are born.

It's a good edit, I thought it was real.

At which point they wouldn't be atheists any more.
Or am I being retarded?

>Khrone and Nurgle have nothing to offer.
Khorne: Neoliberalism offers chances a plenty to serve him.
Or just some eternal war for profits sake.

Nurgle: The Embracing of stagnacy and the absence of the will to improve things. Hate on the people who are trying to.

You are lacking imagination, user.

No, you're just using the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Aye, that could work.
On a planetary scale with a small'ish population it's a cool idea.

Just ideologues, unless they buy into Islam, in which case they're just muslims.