/osrg/ OSR General

>Mr. Nuth, Lv.14 Thief
>11 Str, 14 Int, 17 Wis, 9 Con, 13 Dex, 8 Cha

Trove (etc.): pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
Here Be TroveGuy: discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-browser tools: pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

Prior: >Discussions:
Would you rather explore corridors or an empty room?
Of all the OSR blogs you actively follow, which do you like the least?

Other urls found in this thread:

soogagames.blogspot.ca/
luduscarcerum.blogspot.fi/2011/06/custom-reincarnate-tables-2-all-of-them.html
strawpoll.me/12856929
strawpoll.me/12856933
angband.oook.cz/steamband/Treasure.pdf
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/05/osr-unique-death-conditions.html
blogofholding.com/?p=7111
blogofholding.com/?p=7171
rememberdismove.blogspot.ca/2015/05/vampire-generator.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Of all the OSR blogs you actively follow, which do you like the least?

soogagames.blogspot.ca/
Into the Odd is good and the posts are useful and the system even has worthwhile things to steal, but the setting and most of the posts just aren't useful for my games. I'm vaguely annoyed by this. The content is very good but I can't /use/ any of it.

>Paint cans aren't the right for any job besides holding paint.
As any 2efag could tell you, the paint can class extends the bucket group.
And buckets have many uses.

Oh dear god it's spreading. Why couldn't dragon banking make the jump instead?

A dragon's bank would make for a neat dungeon.
Goblins a la. Harry Potter seem obvious, but what else? Coin golems? Other bankrobbers?
When you return to the surface, do you put the loot in your account at the same bank?

Alright, let's crank up the shitposting. What about 2hus in OSR games?
>Reimu is a specialty priest
>Marisa is a dual-classed thief/wizard
>Meiling is a monk
>Sakuya is a throwing-kinfe specialized fighter with the inherent ability to use time stop
>Cirno is the strongest fairy in existence with a whopping 9+9 HD and cannot die as long as the concept of cold exists

>coin golems

I've always found adding "X golem" to X themed dungeon was always really lazy and kind of unimaginative

>It's the temple of manos, the hand of fate. better watch out for the hand golems

>We're going into the tomb of the snake, better watch out for the snake golems

>Those fish people are gearing up for an attack! Watch out, those barnacle golems sure hit like a truck

Coin golem are really more of a Gotcha! than a monster.

>Plumbing the depths of a dungeon golem? Beware its fractal might!

Coin Golem of the First Blue Dragon Bank (BDB)
Stats: as a purple worm, except no stinger, and the effects below

Damage: takes half from slashing or bludgeoning. Immunity to piercing.

Swarm Composition: the Coin Golem operates more like a sci-fi nanomachine swarm than a monster. It will form bodies as needed. Each round, it can spend 6 points on the following abilities. Effects are cumulative

1 point: increase move speed by 10'
1 point: leap a 10' gap
1 point: fire a ranged coin blast attack at a target (30', 2d6 bludgeoning damage, Save vs Dex negates)
2 points: giant coin fist (extra d6 damage to a target)
2 points: convert 1d100 gold, silver, or copper pieces carried by a target into more coin golem. Gain the same 1d100/10 HP.

Wants: to protect the depositors and deposits at BNB. To swallow (crush) someone.
Behavior: as a giant flowing headless snake of coins. No, not a snake, a swarm of flies. No, not a swarm, a cloud. Not a cloud, a fist.

Blind, but can sense vibration very well. Will send out coin feelers that will tremble in the air.

>Swarm Composition: the Coin Golem operates more like a sci-fi nanomachine swarm than a monster. It will form bodies as needed. Each round, it can spend 6 points on the following abilities. Effects are cumulative

Pretty sure there was a monster like this in Final Fantasy 3 - quite literally just a swarm of "haunted coins"

>Pretty sure there was a monster like this in Final Fantasy 3 - quite literally just a swarm of "haunted coins"

I don't want to sound dismissive, but this comment is literally useless to me, and probably to anyone else.

It's not an original monster idea, obviously. But is there anything from FF3 that you'd want to steal or add or contribute or hack or otherwise /do/ something with, in relation to this idea? Any criticism you'd like to offer? Any other ideas you can riff on?

I was just going to do
>Fight as troll. Always regenerates. Loses 1hp/50gp restrained (HELD seperate) from it's bulk, otherwise immune to non-magical weapons.
But sure, what you've got is nice and spiffy.

I could imagine using what you've got as the core of a chase based dungeon.
The God that Crawls would be a good comparison; but honestly, I always think of the Sumberged Castle from Pikmin 2.

>The God that Crawls would be a good comparison

I've been meaning to rewrite TGTC as an actual... more usable dungeon. Not sure a coin golem is appropriate (the damn thing is literally worth its weight in gold, so the players will want to kill and loot it, not run from it).

I think the lack of sleep is starting to get to me. I just had a vivid hallucination of Werner Herzog as a lich, following a party around and narrating their actions.

I think I just got inspiration for my next villain - An ancient lich who starts shit just so he can view them in a crystal ball and narrate their actions to himself simply because he is bored.

Also had an idea for a theater in the centre of a city. You pay to view plays, or scenes via giant scrying mirrors made of falling mercury. You, and a dozen other audiences across the empire, can all watch the same live play taking place somewhere else. Or you could all watch the execution of a criminal, the outcome of a battle, or a grand tournament and feast. The technology is new and the fumes cause madness.

>Would you rather explore corridors or an empty room?

Corridors, for they can lead somewhere.

I made a simplified "interesting treasure" table. It's not fancy but it's quick.

About TroveGuy

Early last month TroveGuy stopped talking in the Discord server that he regularly spoke in. A few weeks later he returned and apologized for being gone. Since that day he's vanished again and is assumed to have moved on.

>and is assumed to have moved on.
By who? He said hi in the discord the 20th of April, and I haven't seen anyone talking about him much since. He's often online in the discord, just "away".

What will you reincarnate as? luduscarcerum.blogspot.fi/2011/06/custom-reincarnate-tables-2-all-of-them.html

An Ettin apparently.

I like it. Is the toxic aspect known? If so, are the signs of poisoning considered an affectation of higher-class or a grotesque form of social climbing depending on someone's social set?

Is there any good random encounter tables in the trove? Im looking but I can't seem to find any.

Nevermind, I found the right folder.

Tell me the folder too. I love random tables.

A choker.

This is a neat table.

Still waiting on an entry for location 3.

OSR blogs poll, URLs taken from the Pastebin:

strawpoll.me/12856929 (1/2)
strawpoll.me/12856933 (2/2)

#3 The Never-Was

"This place is a message, and part of a system of messages, pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here nothing valued is here.
What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location. It increases toward a center. The center of danger is here, of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited."
- Expert Judgment on Markers to Deter Inadvertent Human Intrusion into the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant

Ancient societies toyed briefly with temporal weapons in their darkest conflicts before the threat of wholesale destruction convinced those in power that such technologies were not worth the risk. The fallout from these weapons, when they could not be disposed of, was stored in places like this one. The containment of histories, presents and futures that never were or could be allowed to be are locked here under aging wards of this terrible purpose.

Those who stray through this area report bizarre encounters: pitched battles of bygone armies frozen in time, places where entropy flows backwards or stutters in loops or meetings with other versions of themselves. The landscape shifts here, many don't come back at all.

At the center of the flat, sometimes featureless plain grows a spur-tower of obsidian glass like a looming two dimensional reflection. Stretching taller each year it is a symptom that the containments are failing.

Shit, forgot to link.

intended for

You're pdfanon, right?
If you are, I hate to bother you again but I realized I did a pretty severe lexical error in the description for #2. Would it be possible to fix it? I'll put the errors and how it should be changed in the spoilers below:

"A tower of tungsten lays buoyant in it," should be "A tower of tungsten stands vertically in it,"
"A titan made of semi-molten rock lays sleeping" should be "A titan made of semi-molten rock lies sleeping"

>someone else thought of using this
I'm using that guide for a dungeon location in my planetary romance game.

Done and done. Hope this is good enough; if any additional changes are needed, I'll be sure to make them.

You're better than a hero, user. You're a goddamn swashbuckler. Thank you for compiling the whole thing.

It's great seeing /osrg/ get shit done.

Hello fellow tg'ers.

I've been looking all the morning (european guy here) for a d30 sandbox companion's pdf, but I'm out of luck today. I'm humbly requesting it, if any of you happen to have it.

Thank you fellas.

Has /osrg/ ever tried to make a campaign world together?

Is DeltaDnD's Book of War and Book of Spells in the treasure trove?

I think people are a bit scared of sharing it around here. The people who made it took down our trove several times a couple months back, so we had to remove it from there. I don't have it so I can't share it sadly.

I have a feeling that wouldn't work, people are too scattered and have such different design philosophies that I can't see progress being made. It seems like we work better as seeders. Ask for a map or dungeon to be stocked, or for a table on some specific thing to be made, and someone will probably produce something.

Well thank you anyways :)

Fat bitch v2 (fensir)

Aw shucks, you're making me blush.

Yeah, that makes sense. I suspected any attempt to be a bit wonky. It would be cool if we could group the different contributors by their philosophies and have them put something together for a singular continent, but organizing that alone would probably fall flat.

>filename

Like the other guy said, the guys who made that are faggots. Ask in the PDF share thread, maybe.

Will do. Thank you.

Lurkers aside, we have like 45 regulars.
The threads hit 60, but that includes tourists and people with multiple devices.

Anyways, of those 45 like 20 sometimes post content.
Bearing on mind disinterest or not being online, you can get like 5 people collaborating. Tops.

Your best bet is to make a system ambiguous thread (or pick a more popular system), then convert afterwords.

They've got the noses and everything.

Does OSR have any good rules for firearms or explosives anywhere?

LotFP has some good ones for early firearms. I recall seeing another set of rules talked about here that were in like a magazine, but Ican't remember the name of it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I took a look at this. Neat. The opening paragraph is a bit awkward when you're talking about levels and flooding. I get what you mean though. I'd add a small table or different ways to summon/otherwise come across a leviathan.

I like the generation table and layout for the organ dungeon a lot, feels medieval medical, especially the blood/bile separation and side organs. I'm inclined towards adding another few weird organs that don't make sense to mortals but that's more my game tone.

Haven't crunched the numbers on the odds of rolling 1-6 twice in a row for empty organs, but you could probably just have that be one roll with a different range. It would make that smoother.

I'm not sure about oxygen percentages. Part of me likes it, and if there's air supply equipment it adds another resource management part to the game and gives you weird organic breathable treasures and parasites to make deals with. But it also seems like it could become more of a chore with the current %. Not sure though, more of a feeling.

I'd give the Sea Beast Heart some sort of attack, or maybe charm person, or something. Also ways/rules for cutting out through the side of the beast.

Looks cool though, I'm definitely going to use it and keep an eye on your blog.

>ways to summon a leviathan
>Construct an arcane wind chime made from sea witch bones and suspend it from a buoy in a storm
>Dump 666 inscribed barrels of chum while sailing the middle passage
>Recite the forbidden verse of the Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner with no land in sight on a becalmed day
>Preform the savage ritual taught to you by the coastal hoodoo off the shore of an erupting volcano

You're probably thinking of Hack! Firearms. It's pretty good.

That's the one!

ACKs™ - Guns of War

>
This. I love Veeky Forums. It's incisive and direct. Anonymity helps, ofc. If I wanna talk about, home brew and play a were dolphin where else am I going to go, seriously?

>I like it. Is the toxic aspect known?

Only to alchemists, who write angry letters to local churches and nobles and are ignored completely. The madness is spreading like a cancer, but people still attend. Ushers in white masks discreetly remove anyone who disturbs the performance.

Seconded.

Any thoughts on this table?

I like it, though I feel compelled to point out that it tells me to roll a d50 to determine a number ranging from 1 to 100. Also, shields aren't weapons.

I can't find either of these in the trove.

Hack! Firearms is in supplements>misc.

Bah. I'll fix the d100 reference. And shields belong in Weapons for convenience.

I like the d100 treasure table. I don't like that something has just as much chance of being priceless as being worth 100 gp. I'd say make that a 2d10 table and rearrange the results for how likely you think things should be worth.

My logic on that table is that it's for when the GM doesn't know the value offhand.

In a referee-type system (players vs. rules, GM to moderate), you'd want a much more robust and balanced table. This is more like a... memory aid, for narrative plavers vs GM's world campaign.

So ideally, I'd know how much a given treasure is worth, because a 1,000 gp treasure would unbalance the party and a 10gp treasure is getting ignored or left behind. For situations where I /don't/ know or I'm in a hurry or I need a rough idea of the 10s digit of price, I wrote a table.

But even if it's just a memory aid, there being a 5% chance of the thing being priceless is kind of crazy. You say yourself that a 1000 gp treasure would unbalance the party, so shouldn't there be a bigger chance of a standard, balanced value being rolled?

What's your favorite "iconic" giant?
What's your favorite "obscure" giant?
What's your favorite "weirdo" giant?

Fire giants
Cyclopskin
Formorian

Frost.
Verbeegi.
Are there other weirdos than formorians at all?

>Are there other weirdos than formorians at all?
The spelljammer versions, the athasian versions, polarweres, and shadkyn? Plus any others from retro-clones.

Answering myself
>Fire giants
>Voadkyn/Wood giants
>Shadkyn/Wood giant werebats

>iconic
Storm Giant

>obscure
Shadow Giant

>weirdo
Fhoimorien Giant

>being a 5% chance of the thing being priceless is kind of crazy.

Think of it as a 5% chance to use the table, followed by a 5% chance of a priceless item.

And priceless can mean a lot of things. Unless one of the PCs is an expert in ceramic work they might not recognize the piece. They might sell it for a fraction of its true value. It might attract a horde of treasure-mad lunatics once it does sell. It might be "acquired" by a local lord for free. It might be smashed during a chase.

>narrative player memory aid
I'm probably one of those. Hot opinions coming up. I tend to use more detailed random tables to make list based memory aids for region encounters, random treasures etc and then put them on an index card. As is, the table in a spot where it isn't small enough to keep around just in case, and doesn't have enough meat to be inspirational. For an interesting treasure table that's suppose to be evocative find having a noun/verb/power set up works better.

I like the egg part though. That's cool. A table with random magical eggs would be great. Egg shell textures, colours, requirements for hatching, nests, contents and use for magic rituals would be great.

>textures
>1.Perfectly smooth
>2.Dimpled
>3.Metallic
>4.Wet & sticky
>5.Thorny
>6.Arabesque
>7.Angular & geometric
>8.Gritty
>9.Glued back together
>10.Dented
>11.Flower petals
>12.Hatching

stuff like that

Did any of the zines carry solo adventures like the BECMI tutorial?

Does anyone have a download of Empire of Imagination? The Gygax biography from a while back?

Can anyone summarize the differences between the deluxe and free versions of Godbound? Is it just the art and stuff?

text w/o comment

LEVEL 1
Halito (Little Fire) Inflicts 1-8 fire damage to a single target
Mogref (Body Iron) Reduces caster's AC by 2
Katino (Bad Air) Puts a group of animal or humanoid monsters to sleep*
Dumapic (Clarity) Tells you were the stairs are and what direction you face
LEVEL 2
Dilto (Darkness) Raises the AC of a group of enemies
Sopic (Glass) Caster's AC is reduced by 4
LEVEL 3
Mahalito (Big Fire) Inflicts 4-24 fire damage to a group of enemies
Molito (Sparks) Inflicts 3-18 damage damage to a group of enemies
LEVEL 4
Morlils (Fear) Reduces the AC of a group of enemies
Dalto (Blizzard) Inflicts 6-36 ice damage
Lahalito (Torch) Inflicts 6-36 fire damage
LEVEL 5
Mamorlis (Terror) Reduces hit% of all enemies
Makanito (Deadly Air) Attempts to kill all air-breathing enemies > 40 HP
Madalto (Frost King) Inflicts 8-64 ice damage
LEVEL 6
Lakanito (Vacuum) Kills all air-breathing monsters in a group
Zilwan (Dispel) Dispels (kills) a single undead enemy
Masopic (Crystal) Reduces party's AC by 8
Haman (Beg) Appeals to gods for help**
LEVEL 7
Malor (Teleport) Teleports the party to a random location on the same level
Mahaman (Beseech) A more powerful version of Haman**
Tiltowait (Ka-blam!) Inflicts 10-150 damage to all monsters

*Sleeping monsters cannot attack. They are easier to hit and receive 2x
damage from physical attacks.

**Haman and Mahaman can only be cast by a level 13+ character. Caster appeals
to the gods for help, consuming 1 experience level. If the gods help, one of
many things can happen:
-Silence all enemies
-Magic becomes more effective
-Dialko (softness) on the entire party 3 times
-Madi (restore) on entire the party
-Kill all enemies
-Protect the party
-Teleport monsters
-Restore the dead

(You) w/o comment

None off the top of my head. Have you looked at Black Stream's solo heroes/Scarlet Heroes? I've had a good time using it to convert modules to solo play.

Thanks! The Empty Room/Monster/Guarded Treasure/Treasure % is based on the Table V.F. of the Dungeon Master's guide pg 171. Whenever I use the original percentages for populating dungeons I would get an uncomfortable amount of empty rooms, so I just re-rolled the contents of the empty rooms.

>Hot opinions coming up.
*fans self* Ooh Mr. Darcy...

> I tend to use more detailed random tables to make list based memory aids for region encounters, random treasures etc and then put them on an index card.

That'd be handy. If you want more detailed treasure tables of all kinds this PDF has you covered: angband.oook.cz/steamband/Treasure.pdf

And it's very good and very useful and very... slow. I wanted to build a table I could glance at and then riff on from there. I can fill in my own verbs and powers for something like this pretty easily. I usually keep a word cloud on an index card that helps me return to core ideas for a dungeon or setting.

And let's see. After:
-Animist Wizards
-God Eater Paladins
-Unique Death Conditions
-Tomb of the Serpent Kings Session 4
-Tomb of the Serpent Kings Map Level 3
-Prismatic Dragons
-An example of cave building using Veins of the Earth
-Star Wars stuff

I'll add in
-Egg Table

I dig. The empty rooms count seems more like a thing for larger dungeons, because they're handy to have space to breath, but the sea monster innards aren't as large. I'll make a leviathan and see how it looks. Might end up making the empty rooms the unidentifiable organs.

Sea monster dungeons have been on the back burner for a while. Basically since I saw the Matt Kish illustrated moby dick.

Are there any better random charts and tables for diseases than what AD&D 1e DMG offers?

saw Talislanta pop up here a while back so i'll share this

Iconic-Hill/stone giants
Obscure-Sand giant
Wierd-Monster Movie Kaiju

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/05/osr-unique-death-conditions.html

All powerful creatures should have unique death conditions. Why do vampires get to have all the fun?

Speaking of vampires:

blogofholding.com/?p=7111
blogofholding.com/?p=7171

Not all vampires should turn into bats, not all vampires should be allergic to garlic.

Ooh, useful. Especially when combined with: rememberdismove.blogspot.ca/2015/05/vampire-generator.html

i entered the link, read that and got hooked on the minor angels and paradox angels articles.

Good to hear. If you liked those, check out the Summoner class or the articles on Elementals.

right now im reading the entities article. are you the author? should be really good to play a game with you.

I am. And I appreciate the sentiment, even though I don't run online games. Hopefully some of the nonsense I write is useful to you in your games.

At the price of being facetious, here is the /real/ Fire-User class.

Now if only I could read that.

What is your favorite module of A) Original B) Basic C) Advanced 1st edition D) advanced 2nd edition E) your favored OSR systems each F) overall?

See this kind of stuff grinds my gears
>my vampire is JAMES BOND except he turns into a FROG and is repelled by BARE FEET isn't it WEIRD

Congratulations, you've traded the generic stereotype for pointless weirdness, what's the next step of your master plan?

>favorite module of A) Original
Tegel Manor
>B) Basic
X1 Isle of Dread
>C) Advanced 1st edition
I6 Castle Ravenloft
>D) advanced 2nd edition
WGA4 Vecna Lives
>E) your favored OSR systems each
I am not sure what you mean.
>F) overall?
Either LotFP or BFRPG

>I am not sure what you mean.

I mean take all the OSR systems you like to play, and list your favorite modules for each.

>F) overall?

This also means your favorite module of the whole lot, rather than the OSR systems you like.

Oh, gotcha.
LFP0038 World of the Lost
>F) overall?
LFP0038 World of the Lost

World of the Lost is underrrated as fuck.

>OD&D
Is there even such a thing as an OD&D module?

>B/X
B4 The Lost City

>1e
Either In Search of New Gods (Gamemaster) or Keep for Sale (Dragon magazine)

>2e
I like lots of pieces of 2e modules that actually like the majority of. Maybe Adam's Wrath because of the great thematic dungeon.

>Labyrinth Lord
Smoking Pillar of Lan-Yu

>DCC
In the Wake of The Zorkul

>Heroes & Other Worlds
The funnel adventure in Cauldron #1

>What is your favorite module of A) Original
Caverns of Thracia
>B) Basic
Haven't played
>C) Advanced 1st edition
Dark Tower
>D) advanced 2nd edition
All shit
Rappan Athuk (Swords & Wizardry), Stonehell (Labyrinth Lord), Well of the Worm (DCC)
F) overall?
Stonehell or Dark Tower

Post about how cool it is, ask for input and ignore criticism?