EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Previous Thread Good Legends Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Whats your favorite way to copy/clone things?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-05-17-harvest-season/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rakdos-tax-collector/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/darksteel-reactions/
edit.magic.wizards.com/en/products/iconic-masters
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've had some spicy plays copying something with Dack's Duplicate, then dropping Phantasmal Image/Clone/Vasuvan Shpeshifter/Sakashima on Dack's Duplicate.

I am actually building him right now, despite buying

>accidentally hitting post
Him over a year ago.

Repostin'

I have used OCTGN for several years. Only issue I have with it, that it's bothersome to download the card packs every time they come out

How playable would a control deck with pic related, Shackles and Twiddle effects be?

Not very.

Most of the time worst you can do is to steal their commander, really. Thankfully it can be used to steal legendary lands as well, which can be pretty prevalent.

Garbage at best, unplayable shit at worse. If you want a mono-blue shell, go with Talrand and zerointeraction.dek.

Karona as your commander, proceed to ramp hard and drop in an Ugin to maximize your plays.

Consider the following. I'm running Falkenrath Marauders and Yahenni in my Marchesa, The Black Rose deck. I've found that Yahenni puts in a lot of work, but I'm considering replacing Falkenrath Marauders with Falkenrath Noble. I don't really have a lot of humans in the deck though, so the Noble's sac ability will probably not grant very many +1/+1 counters. I like big creatures and would like to have something like this to hit people with.

Opinions/suggestions for Falkenrath Marauders/Noble?

Also, another question. How does Yahenni perform in a Alesha, Who Smiles at Death deck?

>Noble
I'm a faggot. Meant Falkenrath Aristocrat obviously.

Marauders isn't really reliable unless you're dropping it turn 2 and putting vigilance on it. On the other hand, a 4/1 with a situational trigger in a deck that won't get it off as often is a one-and-done trade that *might* amount to 4 damage and a +1/+1 on Yahenni two turns later. If you're floating combat tricks consistently, go with Aristocrat and maximize your gains. If your curve is such that you end up ramping quickly most games, then stick with Marauder.

Yahenni is baller in my marchesa deck, and I ran aristocrat for a while then took her out for cheaper sacrifice outlets. I would never run the Marauder, and I would run aristocrat over them if I felt I didn't have enough sacrifice outlets, otherwise I would choose a different card. You are spoiled for choices with that deck and it's always hard to make cuts

>Whats your favorite way to copy/clone things?
Hard choice between Followed Footsteps and Progenitor Mimic. Probably the former.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind and be on the lookout for a replacement for Marauders then.

Dack's duplicate is honestly one of the best clones. Clones with haste are just nuts. I've accidentally gone infinite with it once. I don't run any infinite combos with deadeye navigator, but my opponents sure do.

It keeps being versatile.

Heres the sac outlets I use in marchesa:
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
Carrion Feeder
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Viscera Seer
Ashnod's Altar
Yahenni, Undying Partisan

I also have a few one-shot sacs, like Disciple of Bolas and Sidisi, Undead Vizier, but as we all know, Marchesa shines at abusing one shot dudes. My list's not super tuned, but these guys all do a lot of work. I don't think I'd replace any of them with Falkenrath Aristocrat, but it's gotta be better than the Marauders.

I guess so. I've been building a mono coloured deck for each of the colours. Having a hard time finding a fun, interactive deck in blue is harder then it looks because most of the time it devolves into hardlocking opponents.

Maybe just try to have fun?

I built Kami of the Crescent Moon counterspells and Titans. It was pretty fun.

About to order my boy here because instants are fun. List isn't really finalized, anyone have any experience? Should I run self mill or symmetrical discard? I figure cards named liliana are generally good for the deck. Wincon looks to be a fat X spell or turning him sideways while buffed

>self-mill
>symmetrical discard
What the fuck? Have you read Toshiro?

not the poster, but i guess those are ways to get instants into the raveyard.
i guess if you really want a big toolbox of instants in your raveyard, shit like mesmeric orb could do the trick. of course the easiest would just be to get them in there by casting them, and getting flashback value from them.
hatred could work in terms of wincons.

I think you should use either Animar or Kruphix, in my opinion they are the best commanders for big eldrazi since they ramp like crazy with colorless

Just play Ixidor, Jalira, Geralf or Lorthos, if your playgroup is mega casul

>of course the easiest would just be to get them in there by casting them
No shit.

Nah. Not in the mood for a Taking Turns-esque deck.

My group isn't casual, but I want a deck that is more 'fun' as my other commanders are things like Daretti stax, Chainer and Seton combo.

Ixidor might be fun. He also works with my collection of old bordered pimp.

Basically to put instants in the bin, make more tricks available. I think entomb is probably enough spice. I'm not to focused on mana doubling since space is tight, so free spells = gains

Entomb is neither self-mill or symmetrical discard. Those cards are generally awful. If any of those Liliana cards you mentioned weren't LotV they're shit too.

Dacks is a very underrated card
Unfortunately the only deck I run in red is 5c and stunt double just works with child of Alara so much better

Nothing like progenitor mimicking something then cloning the progen mimic and giving it haste/dethrone

Sun Quan counters and equipment
My favorite mono blue deck

Marauders fucking suck, Aristocrat is one of the better sac outlets even with 0 humans, the choice is obvious m8

Remember that a sac outlets makes you practically immune to exile/bounce/tuck which are otherwise hard counters to Marchesa's ability

Markov Blademaster is usually better, although it doesn't have haste

Looking for some feedback for my lovechild. Apart from "get better lands tutors" (which I'm slowly working on) do you have any recommendations? Am I blatantly missing any good draw spells, removal, or ramp?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-05-17-harvest-season/

Be gentle, famtachi.

Does anyone have the Vinzstudios box mapping apps for Android? I can't seem to find them anymore.

Stunt Double which I have a foil of, Body Double, and Cackling Counterpart as a trick is nice. Please rate my brew

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rakdos-tax-collector/

Blade of Selves

Whoops meant for

Added to my to-buy list. Thanks.

I'm somewhat new to MTG. Been playing some Pauper at my LGS, but I want to try some EDH because a lot of people play that format and I want to try some flashy cards that aren't common.

I like Ramp, funky color combinations (maybe enemy colors or Tarkir tri-color) and big beefy monsters. Which commander should I play?

Xenagod is a good beginner commander

just pick anything Gruul

Temur Surrak could be what you want as well.

Temur or Gruul, for sure. Animar, Surrak, Xenagod, maybe Radha.

Play Yasova so you can steal other people's big flashy creatures while playing some beefy monster on your own

As others have said, RG (Gruul) is the most straight forward answer, with Xenagos being the best stompy general. I'd take a look at Mayael as well.

Stop posting Hazezon, only I'm allowed to play him! My deck does enchantment theme, etb theme, blink theme, land ramp theme etc. Multiple tutorable infinites. By far my best deck.

How often do you actually cast your commander

I built this terrible combo deck trying to use alternate win conditions.
Have I missed any obvious inclusions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/darksteel-reactions/

What's the most embarrassing thing you've seen playing edh?

I've seen a grown man literally throw a tantrum when he had his Grim Monolith hit by a Naturalize. On the floor, screaming, flailing arms and legs.

I don't believe this

An aspy woman got mad at her husband because she jumped the gun countering an x spell with Mana leak before he declared the x value
Paid for it
Then he paid for it by getting a chair thrown at him

And this is why you always let the significant other win.

He hits the board almost every game. Original idea was that he'd be generating a bunch of dudes that were being given haste and had anthem effects for knock out swings but that was too glass-cannon-y. Turns out late game tons of tokens is fine enough on its own without any boost effects. Now the idea is that he's generating a bunch of etb effects, which is much more generally useful. My deck actually has him playing tons of roles now and cheeky combos now. My favorite is Shields of Velis Vale on an opponent, then let Hazezon die, and watch all their creatures get exiled. Among other things.

I countered somebody's shitty loxodon once, which made him salty because it wasn't even that good. Then the next turn another player played a domri rade, which made him even saltier since I didn't have a counterspell left for it. Then because we didn't have any good creatures the domri rade guy ulted him, which made the first guy seething mad.

After that the domri rade player killed him, and he stood up and threw his chair on the ground, screaming at me about how I let a domri rade ult happen because I was salty at him or something.

He sticked around ranting at the table for the rest of the game, but when I won with aetherling at the end he actually started throwing a tantrum and just straight up screaming. He wasnt even screaming words, he was just yelling, it was absolutely hilarious.

Guy in my group got his infinite combo with brago out and after his first trigger(wasn't a mana ability) I krosan grip'd his main combo piece after he declared everything he was going to do, he gets extremely pissy and starts drawing cards to get a counter despite not being able to do so with grip on the stack to grab a counterspell. Everyone points this out to him and he throws a shit fit about how he always gets targeted and threatens to target me every game for the rest of the night, each game after that I proceed to target him overall regardless of others boardstates because of his hatred for me and he gets more upset until he slams his fist onto my table and I ask him to leave. Regardless I'm sure I'm the asshole in this scenario for targetting him but I don't know why he got so goddamn upset about a combo having a flaw

>let the significant other win or else they will throw a chair at you
Cuck

>a friend returns to EDH after years of not playing
>joins his first game with our local group
>he gets out Shattergang Bros
>t8-ish he casts a Braids
>casual fag of the group starts tilting
>guy is new and exclusively plays gruul
>explain my friend didnt knew about the new banlist
>everyone tries try to relax him
>all agree on 'cycling' Braids after one turn
>gruul guy is still on defcon 1
>tries to alphastrike my friend
>fails horribly
>spaghetti's his deck all on the floor
>rages all over his cards as he storms out

Next week he asks if he can borrow one of our decks

Lazav is a dick.
>reanimate mindleech mass with lazav out
>smack that guy with my fuckhuge beater
>play the traumatize in his hand on himself
>wind up yarding Necrotic Ooze
>lazav is literally half the cards in this guy's deck
>he stares at me with cold dead eyes while his buddy is laughing hysterically
>calmly picks up his cards, walks to his bedroom to "sleep" at 3pm
>me and the other guy are sitting in his living room
>suddenly there is a loud bang, followed by a dull thud
>buddy punched his room safe, broke his hand and had the safe fall into him
>he's just lying there, beside the safe with a mangled hand, swearing like a sailor
>about how I did this because I'm such a dick, and it's all my fault for being cheap
>we call the ambulance, he tells it to Fuck off when it shows up and kicks us out
>his girlfriend comes home a few days later and chews him out for not going to the doctor
>never speak to him again

Unfortunatly already has a Kruphix deck in my meta, we don't want the decks to be too samey

I had the exact opposite happen once, like a someone cast Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and then my signet was countered. I have lost all hope for the guy, so I didn't even care. He has tried to Negate gods for at least 10 times and he never learns.

He was playing Melek and he had a counterspell on top that counter creature spells and deal damage equal to creature's power and he wanted to counter my Worldspine wurm after he already passed priority and I went through combat.

edit.magic.wizards.com/en/products/iconic-masters
Get ready for the value drop

I seriously thought at first in mid story that he just shot himself, for the bang and thud

>tribal focus for ICM
>all C17 are going to be tribal

I'm the bad guy in my group. My Mana rocks get a lot of hate, but they never seem to have removal left for doubling season?

>We chose to make the activation use white mana (remember green can untap creatures) to give Samut a Naya (red-green-white) color identity for Commander. Her abilities also played well with the exert mechanic, and red, green, and white were the colors for exert, helping Samut double as an exert commander.

We are to blame for this dumpster fire of a card, my dudes.

Nowhere do they mention a tribal focus for icm.

Isn't this old news? It's Eternal Masters 2: Nostalgic Boogaloo, with the same set size and price.

Spoiler that shit next time. I almost threw up.

We're not to blame for the art, would've played it otherwise.

It's nice to know that Wizards takes EDH players into account during their design, though. Languish was clearly a nice budget option to 'replace' Damnation for those without access to it, Cascading Cateracts seems a perfect fit for any commander deck with 3+ colours. Just lots of nice things you can slot in the 99, which I like.

>Angels, demons, dragons, hydras, sphinxes
I can't imagine a reason to print this set besides reprinting Iona, avacyn, and consecrated sphinx.
But I promise radiant, archangel will be at mythic.

>turn 8 braids from the 99
>somehow this is a strong play
How hypnotised by Sheldon can you get?

Sure but I'm not so enthused if it means we're going to get painfully forced clusterfuck cards.

He's a shame to the Clans and deserves to fight a mighty Ragebeast.

Know what happens when a format draws wizards' attention? Splinter twin gets banned, five cards get banned out of a standard that was designed to be half as big as it was released, top gets banned, top 8s are consistently 6 of the same deck and two t2 meta killers.

Edh players can make anything work. Please stop noticing us, wizards.

>the set brings an array of massive Angels, Sphinxes, Demons, Dragons, and Hydras alongside some of our favorite and most memorable spells.

It may be shit tribes but its still tribe

>Languish
>Not crux of fate

Thats not an declaration of set theme silly.

>not playing maelstrom nexus
For what purpose?

So my friends are bad at deck building. Or rather I'm too autistic for them, whichever you prefer. I still want to play with them, but I'd rather not build a non-functioning deck. How do I shoot myself in the foot and still have fun?

>down to me and UG player
>Palinchron
>Untaps some lands
>Sits there for a second
>Phantasmal Image
>On his Witness
>Getting back Venser
>Venser on Witness
>Getting back Chord of Calling
>Casts Chord
>Gets Woodfall Primus to kill I don't even fucking remember
>Passes turn
>Kill him
>mfw

It may not be but let's be truthful here everyone likely has all these goddamn creatures to begin with and they'll be printed at dumb rarities and the sole chase card will end up being Avacyn. All these masters sets are complete fuck ups anyways so we shouldn't bother discussing them

Play a pre-con

Aether Hub is basically a newer Tendo Ice Bridge.

Damn. That is embarasing. Did you tell him he had the kill starting him in the face after the game?

You can't. You may get to play with your friends but you'll still have a slug lodged in your foot.

>mfw I'm too stupid to understand

Don't spoonfeed me I need to figure this out on my own

Phatasmal image on palinchron results in infinit mana. From there he can do whatever he wants including win the game, provided he has the right cards, and chord is the right card.

Well obviously I'll lose some enjoyment being unable to play what I want, but the gain from playing with my actual friends instead of randos will outweigh that.
Probably a good idea.

Did he have a way to win with infinite mana?

Oh, you said DON'T spoonfeed you.

Its ok I figured it out but he said chord was in graveyard and was grabbed by witness, infinite mana doesn't win you the game if you have anything worthwhile to play

Is he even viable as a Commander?

He had Chord of Calling and E Wit. That's any two creatures from your deck. Any three if you Phantasmal Image E Wit at the end. If you can't win with that you need help.