/5eg/ ~ 5th Edition General

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

Does your party belong to a larger organization? Do you have a cool party name?

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
sgiz.mobi/s3/7e74b19937c1

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1466/38/1466384400192.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I shall pollute 5e with another homebrew of mine. Looking for criticisms and yada yada. General preface as always is that these are just mechanics I have come up with that I thought would make the archetype desirable, and have not yet been fine tuned or nerfed from the original idea so I don't waste 2 hours fine tuning it just to realize it should be something else.

Feature names and numbers are subject to change, looking for fluff as well since the best I can think of is "Natural knack for controlling blood".

How do you do lootations?

No larger organization this campaign, our de-facto name throughout has been the "rib-ticklers," one of our PCs played a necromancer and we needed a name at the time that really sticks to the ribs

homebrew/10

Meh they technically work for the Empresses Guard, even though it consists of maybe a handful of survivors and no they are horrible at names.

You too.

What kind of monsters would you put in a "Legion of doom"? It's meant to be a bit silly.

An Orc Chieftain, Red Dragon, A Lich, Beholder, a Drow Noble, A hobgoblin Warlord, what else would be a good fit?

What would a Silver Knight even be? A Paladin of Amaunator?

Goblin alchemist/bombmaker.

A mindflayer in person, or maybe a kraken that communicates through a big crystal ball that interrupts the council's bickering to give the final word before the scene ends.

An owlbear

No and no.

We're a bunch of rag-tag fuckers, and it looks like more and more we're gonna be facing off against a rogue goddess. Our party's existence is mere happenstance.

I will pitch the idea of naming our group next session, however.

Vampire waifu.

A dmpc

A Michael Myers-like bugbear

One of the vaguely humanoid things is a rakshasa but none of them know which one it is

Cleric of Light/Avenging Oath Paladin multiclass.

How many forever DMs actually use multiple settings?

I've come to believe that CR is pointless and that I should only look for amount of actions the enemy(s) can make

I feel like if I did I would have an awful time. Mixing stuff up

>A Michael Myers-like bugbear
I hope you meant the comedian, because a Fat Bastard bugbear sounds amazing.

How do I make homebrews look like official 5e material

How does Veeky Forums feel about the bulk of UA?

Are they reasonably balanced/can I give my group the green light on using them all without having to check every single one?

Do what you want, but I meant the slasher movie villain.

Don't allow people to multiclass UA stuff and you're usually fine. Lore Master is a powerful outlier.

The revised ranger UA should be mandatory over the PHB version.

Don't let them multiclass UA

Don't let them play Lore Mastery

Check over it if they're playing Mystic and make sure their capabilities are in line with what you're okay with.

Other than that, it's all pretty okay.

They're not really balanced. I wouldn't suggest it with a group obsessed with min-maxing/power gaming, but I think UA is good to draw from when a player needs something from it specifically for their character.
It's also fun to play around with if you're bored of the PHB classes.

Goblin: CR 1/4
Nimble Escape
Attack: Scimitar
Attack: Shortbow

Pegasus: CR 2
Attack: Hooves

umm...user...

Typically they are good, some are even underpowered which is more than fine.

As said Lore Wizard should be a flat no. In my opinion you could multiclass UA but you need to go over it with a fine tooth comb, cause I can guarantee there are multiclasses that are insanely good that the community hasn't picked up on yet.

to add to this:
Purple Worm: CR 15
(multiattack)
Attack: Bite
Attack: Sting

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
Though I think copying the writing style is more important than looks.

>As (You) said Lore Wizard should be a flat no.

No, I said it's powerful. I allow it, but I would tell someone to play something else if they tried to bring that to the table with a group that had a monk, barbarian, and ranger in the other spots.

>Crimson Hunter
An unlimited and more powerful version of Divine Sense

>Vampiric Endurance
Something that Fighters don't get until high level, now available to a d6 hit die class at 1st

>Blood Conduit
This is fine

>Sanguine Scribe
Incredibly overpowered. All you have to do is capture a wizard, and during downtime you drink his blood and allow you to recover. This feature alone makes this the most OP bullshit sorcerer homebrew I've ever seen

>Red River
Eh, sure

I run with the League of Extraordinary Sarcasm, The House of the Rising Pun, and the Truly Horrible Adventuring Company (THAC0 for short).

Reposting from last thread, thanks to the kind user that shared his experience but still looking for more feedback.

Anyone here had experience with 3.5e(?)'s Savage Species or monstrous races+classes in general?

Part of me likes the idea of race exclusive classes or subclasses, like bladesingers, but I understand it's not quite the mentality for 5e. Same goes for races that might be stronger/weaker that 'common' races or just overall harder to adapt without giving/taking too many stuff to them.

I run with The What.

One of my players wants to use this Gunslinger homebrew.

I think it looks a little strong, what do you anons think?

Wouldn't that just be THAC?

Why ban it with some classes, if it's too much with 1 class it's probably really really strong with other classes.

Thanks for the advice.
We don't really have munchkins in the group, so it sounds like I'm good.

It can be insanely strong, watch a latter episode of Critical Role and you'll see why.

I loved Savage Species. Had some cool ideas for feats for monsters to make interesting use of their abilities, it had a huge table of anthro races, which I actually liked because it let me have tiger men as rakshasa underlings and boar men to wage war on the gnolls.

Unfortunately, it's from 3.5, and everything from 3.5 is shit so Savage Species is also shit, also fuck anything half-animal-half-human because that's furry shit, so I hate all of it. I burned my copy of Savage Species as soon as 5e came out, and once I saw that they had replaced situational bonuses with "roll twice take best" mechanics i was just in awe. Nothing like that has ever been included in an RPG before. I was amazed at this inclusion of a satisfactory replacement for "DM's best friend" type situational bonuses, before I saw that the rules included them in many situations. Twice the fun! And they don't even stack, meaning if they have a smart idea but already have advantage, they can't gain benefit of it twice! Absolutely fantastic. Not only that, but now you can ROLL your hit dice to heal lost hp. What a unique and interesting new use of that mechanic! Oh, and now they included backgrounds. This is truly groundbreaking, as I can't think of a single other RPG that has background mechanics.

Yeah 5e is truly the best edition. I don't know why we even allow 3aboo to continue living.

Hey team, How do I warlock? I'm usually the DM of my group for a variety of RPGs but a player of mine is stepping up to run Storm Kings Thunder and I was thinking about maybe playing a Warlock.

We are rolling stats instead of the usual point buy system so I'm less worried about that, and I understand the class mechanically but I'm not quite sure what it does that's 'fun'.

How would you make a fun level 1 warlock build and what sort of things would you keep in mind when progressing? I don't usually play spellcasters so thought I'd try something new and interesting but am I better off making a Wizard or Sorcerer with levels in rogue for added edgy sneakiness.

Keen for any and all opinions, thanks in advance guys.

Why is "the ability to use a gun" an acceptable concept for a class to so many people?

Paladin of Kossuth

Thanks m8, I really do appreciate the feedback.

>Crimson Hunter
My intention was basically to just give them Blindsight but not being able to detect golems, undead, and what not. Perhaps it needs to be worded better or changed out. Any suggestions?

>Vampiric Endurance
Actually only Champions get it at a higher level, and I think it is pretty widely accepted that Champions are kinda shitty/boring compared to other options existing. I based the healing off of Revenants who get 1 hit point per turn, making it scalable because I was looking for a defensive replacement to Drag/Stone sorcs who get their AC modified.

>Blood Conduit
Alright good, Blood Conduit is what I spent most of my thinking on to make it more balanced than the others. Wasn't sure if the Constitution advantage was too much or not.

>Sanguine Scribe
I figured it could be open to abuse, this is the level I had a lot of trouble coming up with. Should it be entirely scrapped, or could I just make it so it can only be used once per person/target?

>Red River
I feel like I made Red River pretty lack luster, and feared making it too good or interesting since the previous levels were already decent.

It's a bit too strong, but there are other options

He could refluff the Fighter Arcane Archer class to be using a revolver, or some other gun. In my experience, someone who wants to do that just wants to use guns and be a cool cowboy like character, so try and work with them to make that within your campaign before going to homebrew.

A player in my SKT game has it as a goal to rebuild his knightly order that was wiped out in his backstory (there were only like a dozen of them), and I'd like to have him recruit various NPCs he runs into over the course of the game.

These characters aren't meant to be second characters or DMPCs, but I'd like to stat them up if they somehow became more involved in the story.

Anyway, the point is, what would a reasonable build be for a monk[1-3ish]/fighter X build be? It doesn't need to be optimal; it's just an NPC, but something that would work okay would be great.

I need screenshots of Pathfinder devs being shitheads on their forums.

It'd be THA Co.

mentality of autistic teenagers

Why is "the ability to a musical instrument" an acceptable concept for a class to so many people?

Well now I just feel stupid.

Using a gun in a typical DnD setting is something spectacular.
Stop pretending it isn't.

why is "the ability to get mad" an acceptable concept for a class to so many people?

It's stolen a lot of ideas from Matt Mercer's Gunsligner Archetype. Only grit is now awful.

The edgy duster equipment is awful, cause disadvantage is supposed to actually be important, and just saying no to it for checks and saving throws for everything is wrong.

I'm not gonna read more but you should show him the artificer and Matt Mercer's fighter archetype.

>using mercer shit

Holy crap, I had heard about this homebrew but I had not actually read it until now. This is perhaps the worst shit I have read in one of these threads in a while.

>Waking up to a goblin ambush, a human reaches for the pistol she always keeps at her side. She leaps to her feet and begins to fire, blasting the nearest goblin away before he can strike.

Wait what? Is this the amazing description people have been fawning over Matt Mercer for? This is middle-school-tier writing. Alright well we can just ignore that. Moving on....

Alright, looks like he literally stole grit from Pathfinder. And there are loads of abilities that let you just flat-out ignore resistances. Apparently equipment is a class feature now and you can fuck up opponents with your called shots, even better than you can with Battlemaster maneuvers. So yeah he's better than fighter while also getting to do elemental damage like a wizard. I'd say that's broken.

That's not Mercer's gunslinger. It's someone else's.

>half-animal-half-human because that's furry shit, so I hate all of it.

As a DM yes I do because it would create a "well I gotta shoehorn this in somehow"

> I saw that they had replaced situational bonuses with "roll twice take best" mechanics i was just in awe. Nothing like that has ever been included in an RPG before. I was amazed at this inclusion of a satisfactory replacement for "DM's best friend" type situational bonuses, before I saw that the rules included them in many situations. Twice the fun! And they don't even stack, meaning if they have a smart idea but already have advantage, they can't gain benefit of it twice! Absolutely fantastic.

Or you know if they have a situational bonus a DM can easily lower DC or give a boost behind the screen.

>Not only that, but now you can ROLL your hit dice to heal lost hp. What a unique and interesting new use of that mechanic!

Oh no players don't have to rely on DM fist to heal up between fights or burn a bunch of resources that could be better used in combat.

>Oh, and now they included backgrounds. This is truly groundbreaking, as I can't think of a single other RPG that has background mechanics.

Yeah it's almost like they want to help players who have no fucking clue how to make a character. You can literally roll one up using the tables and it gives you a slight mechanical bonus.

>Yeah 5e is truly the best edition.

Debatable, at least you aren't bogged down with a shit ton of options and only about 30 at best are even usable.

>I don't know why we even allow 3aboo to continue living.

Because you suck the dick of a system that has several flaws but refuse to admit them and throw autist fits about it.

Inb4 I was merely pretending to be retarded.

Okay thank god. Well, that homebrew is complete shite. I bet Mercer's is even worse, it figures he'd have to shove guns in D&D so he can act like McCree since that is literally his only claim to fame besides starting this shitty D&D webcast.

he just adapted it to 5e for his players when they transfered their game from pathfinder to dnd.

he isnt claiming to be some amazing writer hes Dming for his friends, why does everybody hate on each other for this shit?

>I burned my copy of Savage Species as soon as 5e came out
shame, i would've gladly taken it from you.

i've only played 5e but there's a couple of source books with interesting stuff i'm struggling a LOT to get hold of. Like a Lords of Madness that isn't a million dollars.

Ah yes a classic

....... Are you retarded one of his players uses it, he is a forever DM.

That doesn't change the fact that there doesn't need to be a class devoted to it.

Wielding a +3 weapon is pretty spectacular but you don't need to make a class devoted to using +3 weapons.

Why does Pathfinder let these "people" out of their cages?

It'd be better as a fighting style instead. That way you can have standard gunslinger (fighter), innawoods gunslinger (ranger), and vampire hunter gunslinger (paladin).

The reason why Matt Mercer homebrewed a gunslinger class is because one of his players was playing gunslinger in Pathfinder. When they shifted the campaign to 5e he had to adapt the class.

It's not just wielding a gun. It's also being able to work/create and utilize the weapons, ammunition, and black powder.

>Oh no players don't have to rely on DM fist to heal up between fights

This literally never happened. If anything, hit dice / healing surges were created to regulate healing and solidify the four-encounters-per-day structure, whereas in 3.5 players could just get a CLW wand and keep going as long as they wanted.

You are hilariously misinformed.

>Or you know if they have a situational bonus a DM can easily lower DC or give a boost behind the screen.

Yeah, unless they already have advantage from some shittarded class feature. And now Mearls added a literal weapon focus feat so apparently the lack of modifiers thing was just until he got bored of it. So now it is completely pointless.

>Yeah it's almost like they want to help players who have no fucking clue how to make a character. You can literally roll one up using the tables and it gives you a slight mechanical bonus.

The fuck are you on about? Also if you build your system around helping new players, your system will only satisfy new players, and they will get bored of it far more quickly.

What monsters could an evil wizard have taking care of his topiary garden?

>McCree since that is literally his only claim to fame besides starting this shitty D&D webcast
You realize, of course, that when people heard McCree and asked "WOAH IS THAT MATTHEW MERCER?" it's because they were already familiar with him from the OTHER SHIT he'd been doing for years, right

i bet you'd vote for trump if you could

Matt Mercer's Gunslinger Archetype for the fighter.

archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1466/38/1466384400192.pdf

So he just ripped off the class? Wow. And people fellate him for doing a conversion anyone on Veeky Forums could have, just because he voiced a character in a shitty meme computer game? Fuck him. He's such a bad fucking DM and he is teaching hordes of rosties and normies that the point of D&D is "have fun" which to them means "roar autistically in laughter like a RoosterTeeth twitch streamer every time something mildly funny happens"

Normal humanoids with gardening skills that he employs with standard currency.

>You realize, of course, that when people heard McCree and asked "WOAH IS THAT MATTHEW MERCER?" it's because they were already familiar with him from the OTHER SHIT he'd been doing for years, right

Like what? If I haven't heard of him he clearly isn't that famous.

I did vote for Trump because I'm in my 20s, dumbass. That's irrelevant to the discussion here, though.

>there are people who won't get that this is a joke

I don't even like Matt Mercier, but this is just pure autism.

So is sage Advice or something coming out this week?

I guess that makes sense if in the setting those are esoteric skills akin to alchemy/magic.
But when the gun is totally mundane in nature I don't see why that would be the case.

OK Veeky Forumsuys normally im pretty creative but I'm having a true "white page" moment.

I wanna play a Rogue (Thief) Healer. He's a medic from trade but became a burglar by necessity. It'd probably make sense if he had some war experience (as a scout maybe?) but it's not necessary.

What's his story? I'm really having a hard time figuring that shit out. Even picking a premade background is super tricky right now.

>misfire chance
Why do people always feel the need to have this bullshit?

Major characters in normie-popular anime dubs like JoJo's, Magi, Sailor Moon, Aldnoah Zero, and Attack on Titan.
Oodles of side characters in vidya like Street Fighter, Ace Combat, WoW and related properties, and some main characters like when he replaced Leon's old VA in newer Resident Evils, Chrom in Fire Emblem, and PC voice stand-ins for Pillars of Eternity and Destiny.
Among other shit.

Cause compared to heavy crossbow and long bow it isn't a flat upgrade. It needs something to bring it back down.

>because I'm in my 20s
Do you think this is an excuse or something

So a straight rip of the Pathfinder gunslinger with some of the bloat cut out? Not bad I guess. Except for the fact he is shoving guns into D&D where they do not belong.

It's not a joke, though. Matthew Mercer is contributing more to the downfall of the D&D community than anyone else in history. Not even Monte Cook, not even Lorraine Williams, not even Micheal Merals, not even Gary Gygax himself have done as much damage to D&D. Mercer has made the game palatable to the kind of person who spends his Friday nights playing Cards Against Humanity while slobbering microbrews all over his beard while his wife's son is sleeping in the next room. The kind of moron who thinks mirthful laughter is the end goal of everything, and fails to understand the potential that RPGs have as a fulfilling hobby. Instead, he shits on that creative potential by turning the entire game into a joke, refusing to take anything seriously and making gimmick characters, bringing along his fat girlfriend to make a shitty elf druid character that she hardly roleplays, screeching autistically whenever she rolls a natural 20 because that is the only aspect of the game that her tiny female brain can comprehend, taking copious pictures of the game and posting them to Snapchat and Instagram to show what a geek she is, before getting tired at 11 and tugging at her cuck boyfriend's shoulder so that they both leave and disrupt the immersion even further, because the game doesn't matter to these people at all. It is a mode of entertainment, nothing else. And by entertainment, I mean they consider it nothing more than a Netflix special that they can pause at any time, because it is meant entirely to pander to their enjoyment and make them laugh to cover up how empty their soulless lives are. This hobby used to be full of passionate people who cared about the game and weren't afraid to show it. Now the hobby is being diluted by hordes of casuals who couldn't give a fuck.

Can't that be done in a way that's fun and doesn't suck?

It kinda makes sense for early handguns + balance.

It means I can vote, dumbfuck.
>JoJo's, Magi, Sailor Moon, Aldnoah Zero, and Attack on Titan.

Oh so he acted in a bunch of weeb garbage that only autistics watch. I recognize a lot of those games you mentioned but I don't play them because they are casual-tier shit. The fact that he did work for World of Warcrap just explains everything, to be honest.

>Merals
Why do you always do this and reveal yourself?

Kind of cheesy but just have him be a close friend of a medic while he served in the military during war, and that friend imparted enough medical knowledge to him to make him good enough at his job - not a skilled surgeon or anything but a paramedic at best. Gets home from the war that his side lost only to find that the war got to his home town and lost his old home and family and had to choose between stealing to get by or doing mercenary work with the skills he picked up.

reflex, fortitude and will were shit and i'm glad they are gone :^)

It's kind of funny to see someone pumping out damage until it blows up in their face and have to use an action to unfuck it

You're right, it's not a joke. You are. Could you please take your whining somewhere else?
Your "HURR DURR I DON'T LIKE THIS DM" grudge against Mercer is polluting the thread much more than Critical Role is. Before your rant, how much CR talk was there? None, but your brought it in and made it a focus.

I take it back. I thought it was too extreme to be serious but then I saw him out himself as the Meralsfag He actually believes this.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that among all the people here pretending to be autists for laughs, we have actual fucking autists.

>it's not a copypaste
>he actually spend his time writing this for a low quality bait
This is how autism in the wild looks like.

can we ignore the pretty obvious bait please

i mean come on this guy isnt even trying

He's not a developer in wizards of the coast just so you know, he is just a GM putting stuff in his old game.

If anything yell at Wizards of the Coast cause the thunder cannon in the artificer class is lots of fun and is also a gun.