Amalgams and Warlocks

thinking of working on a setting based off these pictures, where demons are not hellish souls but rather creatures of the world.

demons spawn in the world and cause mayhem, everyone knows about them, theyre a regular part of the world.

mages exist, and people have tamed these demons by turning them into familiars, some fail and get consumed by their demons.

Demons can consume a host to gain more powers, the most powerful ones are those who manage to consume a mage.

all this set in modern day. what else could this setting use? this in itself leads to a campaign where killing demons would be the main thing, but what else can be added?

will be posting pics

Other urls found in this thread:

mercenary-tributary.tumblr.com/post/111507084826/this-is-finally-done-a-more-concise-description
pastebin.com/4XczTEeA
mercenary-tributary.tumblr.com/
mercenary-tributary.tumblr.com/tagged/coronation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

all of that is from this account, you'll find more stuff like this, and then some of the usual tumblr stuff

mercenary-tributary.tumblr.com/post/111507084826/this-is-finally-done-a-more-concise-description

then you add in these guys, the players and or military force who uses these familiars.

you can find the art using the file name, Robert Chew.

I'm sure these images have been floating around Veeky Forums for a little while lately

i imagine the system would have to require good gun and melee mechanics, allow powers and supernatural, then lastly allow for good familiar/companion rules

honestly, i could modify Anima because it has lots of options for companions and has lots of powers, but the combat system is ghastly and guns are...no

thats it for the pictures, but ill still be here.

should the society borrow more from modern? or more from fantasy?

Looks pretty interesting. Isn't Cthulutech a bit like this? It might be a bit easier to run the setting by starting with our own world and then have the magic come back at some specific point in time, maybe like Shadowrun? There could be specific point in time that magic comes into the main it could be some time in the future if you want a bit more sci-fi, within the last century due to particular events within the 20th century, or maybe it's always been there but only now do we have the technology to make use of it.

What kind of characters could you play?

it might depend on the Campaign rules, but i imagine either military or freelance.

this gives the players a reason to have some combat oriented skills, if the game is combat instead of a Call of cthulhu game.

if they were military peacekeeper style then they would probably just be sent to places to kill demons or stop an outbreak each session

if they were freelancers like shadowrun then they could have any number of jobs, i like this idea better

also never read cthulutech, ill check the archives for it later

"See kids ? that is what happens if you do not establish dominance right at the start"

When an amalgam meets a golem host

MORE PICS!

If you've merged with a demon, would there be some sort of health-loss or corruption mechanic to represent you becoming a construct?

when it starts to merge with you, you might have to fight for control constantly, bleeding as well, all the way until you get cleansed. unless you dont get cleansed, in which case. i imagine you would die. since the demon would essentially be in charge.

unless there were some way to be only partially merged or something, then yeah i might say mental corruption, you might have nightmares or start to lose sanity because having a demon in you can be quite taxing.

but another thing to add to the setting "holy water" a water with some special chemicals or minerals that these amalgams/demons dont like or take pain from. scientific holy water. if you splash it on a basic demon before it reaches construct state then it would deal severe damage.

We don't need special chemicals, just impure water. Splash it with alcohol and make sure not to waste it getting drunk. The Robert Chew images show some sort of super-soldiers who clearly use the demons to advantage (is that from a different artist/setting?) that implies some sort of symbiosis is possible, which adds an interesting facet.

yes its a different artist and setting. but i too like the idea of both symbiosis and familiars

What system are you imagining OP?

aww shit, who's this from? were getting some good guy summons in here!

They're from the same guy who did
He did the seven deadly sins, now he's doing the seven virtue.

OP here, ill be back in a few hours, i hope its still up, thanks for the help.

Think the effect could be reached by inducing a partial construct state in a Mage, or by having specialized gear worn on their back that then has a familiar bound to it?

That's neat, forcing a partial construct and then performing a binding ritual or a new kind of ritual. Extremely painful and dangerous

Checked, best sin

more from fantasy. a fantasy society dressed up in a modern coat of paint would be great.

Partial Constructs are made from non mages, and have little to no higher brain function. The demon bound super soldiers seem to be coherent enough to stand upright and use modern weapons.

Well yeah, but in those cases it seems to be uncontrolled growth and Faustian burns. I meant more like you get a burn on your back and make it a familiar you can mold, but since there does not seem to be a term for that just went with the partial construct as a description.

OP here, back from classes.

i honestly dont know, i know very few systems. i know GURPS would work, but i hate GURPS now so thats a no. and i know Anima, 5e, Shadowrun. i think shadowrun could work i guess.

yeah maybe partial constructs are the result of amalgams margin with someone who wasn't strong enough where as those 7 deadly sins are the result of people who were strong enough to control it instead of turning them into a partial construct.

Does he have a page for the virtues, I managed to find the sins but that's it.

They're up on his Instagram. @masterchew

He's only done those four so far.

I'd say have it be fairly modern in terms of culture and tech levels(maybe even slightly futuristic in certain regards), but be set in a non-Earth world(like how most of the Ace Combat games are in a world similar to 20th/21st century Earth but with a different global layout of continents and countries), overall I get a Metal Gear(especially 4 & Rising) meets Full Metal Alchemist vibe from this setting

as for system, I'm personally thinking a variation of the Microlite family would be a good choice, possibly Microlite 74 with a lot of it's supplemental content mixed in and some additional rules added as well

thats cool, i hadn't thought about FMA for this.

microlite? I've never even heard of that in passing

okay I'm trying to post something but I keep getting a connection error

okay since for some reason Veeky Forums is being retarded about letting me post, here's what I was going to say hosted on Pastebin;

pastebin.com/4XczTEeA

It seems that there are a few issues with longer posts currently.

y'all could at least source the originals to this
mercenary-tributary.tumblr.com/
damn shame that the artist basically disappeared like three years ago

They mentioned it right up here, actually.

you're totally right I fucked up

also I meant to link this instead
mercenary-tributary.tumblr.com/tagged/coronation

i know, ive tried to commission them but they haven't gotten back to me, its too bad because i really love what they were doing.

bump

antagonist

pretty boy serving under antagonist? pretty boy pulling the strings all along??

more baddies

who's got the blue picture where hes going I'm sorry?

how could we work that in?

Possibly as a state before death of a host for a partial construct, or as a spreading Faustian burn.

Weirdly, Mutants and Masterminds 2e has great gun rules, and obviously fantastic selection of powers.

are amalgams sapient?

>Seven deadly sins
Ugh

?

i think so... whats the difference between sentient and sapient?

one more 3 and you would have had 666

It feels so tired and overdone.

True, but his things at least look really neat.

Sentience is realization of the self, sapience is capacity for abstract reasoning. Dogs are sentient, but not sapient. Im sure that demons are sentient, but I wanted to ask they were sapient.

Not one of these is Bibleman.
I am offended.

No one has ever made an interesting Sloth themed demon or magical thing.

My Man!

But how do you make a power based around doing next to fucking nothing?

while i do see your point, it is an easy target and kind of agree.
> muh cliches
> ugh its been done before

i dont see a problem with someone taking the same names, thats really the only thing hes repeating, these are all interesting unique designs

>40k tons

...excuse me?

ahh, hmm i think it would be interesting for basic ones to sentient. the ones that exist merely to find a host or destroy. but as they find a host and consume it, or become a familiar feeding off humans they develop Sapience.

but maybe were delving too far into Parasyte here

i...didnt catch that before

i knew this guy was big >for you

I think amalgams are sapient as it mentions them taking on human form and speech through illusions. Lesser versions seem to be aiming to hit that apex point though.

Make everything around you join in the doing of the nothing?

Bump!

Sloth, unlike most modern depictions, isn't just sitting around; it's all about wasting your own potential (especially since it was seen as rejecting the gifts and talents God gave you when the concept was first formed). A sloth themed being could very easily be tied into that.

>A sloth themed being could very easily be tied into that.

How so? Tempt people into doing nothing?

maybe a sort of bad luck/empty headedness effect?
something that forces someone to waste opportunities they're given, like a guy with a gun only going in with his fists. Making dumb decisions when there are far smarter alternatives available.
Maybe a sort of "locking" ability where certain powers or practices are sealed off and can't be used as a representation of "wasting one's gifts".

im a game with multiple actions, limit it to only 1 passive action unless you pass a willpower roll

meant to reply to

what about going in completely the other direction and making it something with super speed and an intense desire to finish anything as quickly as it can?

Instead of representing lethargy and passivity, it represents being too lazy to put work into something and completely half-assing it.

i always loved that idea for sloth in FMA, that he was actually fast and chose to be lazy most of the time

I can't disagree with this since it's right, but when it's well done and actual thought has been put into it it can be pretty good.

a big problem is that everyone always goes for the low hanging fruit interpretations, when they could easily go for another or even more then one.