Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's that one game that has great promise, and everything looks good on the surface, but underneath is your worst nightmare? Could you fix it and how? Any games that are serviceable but can easily fall apart (only work with right group, factions, map, w/e) that you love anyhow?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/R5sFIgzZ_S4
youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I
youtube.com/watch?v=6iA1pLuPxR4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You pretty much just described Talisman for me.
I don't know how I'd fix it though

Is there anyway to fix Terra Mystica so that it's not broken?

The D&D Adventure series games. I like the easy to play dungeon crawling, but the slow chipping away of player health with how the phases go, it feels like you just have to slog through it until you reach that one important tile you need buried in the stack. There's a better game in the box, and I'm sure the rules would only need a little modification to make it all work.

>What's that one game that has great promise, and everything looks good on the surface, but underneath is your worst nightmare? Could you fix it and how?
Seafall. Holy shit, just throw something other than Exploration and Research a bone. 90% of mid to late game glory comes from that skill. My brother set up a good economy and gets last place every time now because glory is only arbitrarily rewarded now from picking the right number on the tomb map and getting a shit ton of points. Whoever distributed the rewards for this game is retarded and makes me appreciate Xia of all things as a relatively well balanced sandbox game.

Battle Star Galactica

I fucking love this game, but I've only been able to get my group to play it once, and the one time we played the cylons didn't do anything (only contributed negatives cards like literally one time), and then the humans lost anyways. I keep wanting to play it but I dont want to be an asshole who keeps pushing for one game, especially since it takes a long while to play.

Use the starting go handicaps from the app version of the game or auction off races with vp at the start of the game.

>starting go handicaps
starting vp handicaps

There are supposed to be at least 4 races that are well balanced against each other. I just don't know which 4 of the races they are. :(

Ikea Bjursta double-extend table, birch color (my living room is green).

>What's that one game that has great promise, and everything looks good on the surface, but underneath is your worst nightmare?
DungeonQuest. Dungeon crawler is probably my favorite genre and the components are great. Unfortunately, the "game" ISN'T a game. It's the slowest manual movie ever. You don't really make choices, you watch stop-motion cardboard video that's randomly generated from start to finish.

>Could you fix it and how?
I don't think I could. I try to fix any game I don't like but DQ has problems starting at the core and spreading out to every single component. Ironically, DQ was made even worse by the revised edition by making combat literally rock paper scissors.

>Any games that are serviceable but can easily fall apart (only work with right group, factions, map, w/e) that you love anyhow?
Xia Legends of a Drift System. It's like what if you took a handful of the worst mechanics in gaming and made all of them work to add more flavor to the game and build an emergent story. You really need someone who understands that Xia is the opposite of a competitive or point-driven game, and is supposed to be about shenanigans. I normally hate that excuse but this is the one game that gets it right.

While it isn't exactly my worst nightmare since I still like it enough to want to play it again, it's probably Fury of Dracula. I'm appalled that even after shortening the game to the final week with fully equipped hunters and the last 3 locations revealed, it still took ~2 hours to finish. Inexcusable for a game with more sauce than meat.

How soon do you predict our precious hobby will be trashed by normies?
youtu.be/R5sFIgzZ_S4

DQ is just a series of unfortunate events: the game. Combat was always shit, so at least ro-sham-bo gets it over with faster. I do like DQ, because its not a game you play seriously, just to laugh at yourself and your friends getting fucked over and over.

Try the torchlight variant for tile placement, makes moving through the dungeon a little less random.

Is there a good board game with nazis?

Fortune and Glory if you liked Arkham/Eldritch Horrors.

Normies drive this hobby nigger, what do you think geek and sundry is? Why do you think (((Legacy))) model was so well received? Hey, you can destroy your game so you can buy it again! Great with friends!

Guys, how do I best play Space Alert?

I find it a very difficult game to introduce to people, not just from the needing sound, but also the wind-up to the main missions, learning everything a bit at a time.

Escape from Colditz
Black Orchestra
Secret Hitler
Memoir '44
Axis and Allies
Advanced Squad Leader
Tide of Iron
Barbarossa
A bazillion other wargames

Heroes of Normandie
Tannhauser
DUST

thanks, god damn it that's a lot of googling

i can tell you straight away that secret hitler is a piece of shit 'game' as all social shit

Carcassonne is better than Alhambra because everyone adding tiles the the same board creates better social interaction, but the card-buying of Alhambra allows deeper strategy to form. Opinions, anyone?

Anybody got an advice on how to print Secret Hitler and how much will it cost approx?

Well, I refrained from buying Carcassonne because it seemed just a nice random concept so...

>how to print Secret Hitler
They have print-and-play versions on their website, last I checked.
>and how much will it cost approx?
The cost of a few sheets of paper and some black ink.

Normies getting into it has brought Board Gaming into its current era. No doubt it'll all turn to shit eventually but st least we get a nice period where good design is meeting good production values.

>implying normies would ever finish all 12-24 games in the first place

Normies are there to buy games, not to play them.

>good design is meeting good production values.

Not really. It's not bad but it's rarely good.

What even is good design?
I usually just think "is it like a good GMT game or CitOW."

Sturdy board and components, cards. Like Kemet.

That's production value, not design.

it's also good design

most games have really shit art or look like proofs of concept, like Scythe.

Past a certain point, I think that's subjective. Anyone with half a brain can see that munchkin is objectively a worse design than say, Kemet. But arguing about Kemet being a better design than say, CitOW or a COIN game I feel is mostly subjective.

xd

>Any games that are serviceable but can easily fall apart (only work with right group, factions, map, w/e) that you love anyhow?

Maybe not quite what you're asking, but I'll be damned if I don't love Android, even in full recognition of all its faults. I've been able to get it on the table all of twice in 5 years of owning it, but it still holds a special place for me, for some goddamn reason. I guess I'm just a sucker for Blade Runner shit.

>auction off races with vp at the start of the game
As in "I will lose X vp at the end of the game to play this race"?

Anyone know what these 4 are?

I fucking love Carcassonne, partly because of the interaction it allows between players. I've never played Alhambra so I can't comment on that

> because it seemed just a nice random concept
Do you mean how the tile you draw is random? Sure, that part is random but it's up to you where you play the tile onto the board (assuming it's a legal move).

bump

should i get arctic scavengers?

Do you like deckbuilding? Do you like the theme? If yes to these questions, then I don't see why not.

i do like both which is why i'm asking, i'm curious if it's actually good and worth the price.

>Just sold my dark souls core game for $30 more than I kickstarted it for
>Still have yet to get the stretch goals and extras which I will probably make a pretty penny off of
And this is why I have zero worry with how Rising Sun turns out.

If you do get A.S. - get the version with the Recon expansion. The core game already has 'an expansion' built into it now, but the Recon expansion just sweetens the deal on replay-ability.

I haven't got it yet but I ordered the new one (with the additional expansions bundled in). Seems pretty good game.

To the person who posted in the last thread about their 6 ikea tables, could you take a photo of one? I am trying to picture what you're talking about but can only think of those cheap little kid tables

I'm confused. On one hand, I doubt it's a cash grab. No one would look at Deadly Premonition and think it's a gold mine waiting to be tapped. So there's probably someone who genuinely likes the game behind it. That being said. Rising Star Games is pretty pathetic. Their portfolio of projects is absolutely tiny and none of it is boardgaming. If it ends up an amazing game, then great! I will buy it. I would put the odds of that being really low however. It's hard to say much more, we really don't know anything else about the game.

>Is there anyway to fix Terra Mystica so that it's not broken?
It' not broken as it is. Stop trolling.

>There are supposed to be at least 4 races that are well balanced against each other. I just don't know which 4 of the races they are. :(
This only applies to tournament play. Unless you're planning on becoming a Terra Mystica pro, then don't bother.

Small World has a wargame theme, but there are no interesting wargame or area control decisions in the game.

Ultimately, it's much closer to an engine builder than any sort of wargame, since the only interesting or relevant decisions you're making involve counting future income based on the number of turns left and the rate of decay of your engine.

I'm kind of late, but Quartermaster General.

If you're into wargames, then there's a metric ton of them. "No Retreat!" series pretty much always involves one side playing Axis.

Try this:
>Monsters don't activate the turn they enter the dungeon, but villains do.
>Whenever a monster were to spawn in a black triagle tile, roll a die: On 1 no monster spawns, on 2-3 one monster spawns, on 4-5 two monsters spawn, on 6 three monsters spawn.
>You can buy a healing surge for 15xp
At least in Castle Ravenloft it makes the game more aggro but you'll be getting more treasure and should be getting enough exp to negate the worst events (plus there's no bullshit like mark of the wolf or a million volcanic blasts in a 99% volcanic vents dungeon). So it feels more like you're fighting through the hordes of darkness and less like you're barely surviving bad RNG.

My friend got upset because I called KD:M DungeonQuest with Dark Souls combat stapled for the lulz.
But it really is. Misery simulators, the both of them. But at least DungeonQuest is the fun kind of misery, kinda like watching an extremelly persistent noob play Dragon's Lair at the arcade.

So long as they don't start making stupid changes to accomodate SJWs and company-destroying executives like vidja and Magic did, we'll be ok.

Dumb question I know but is anyone else familiar with ancient games like Ur?

If by familiar you mean having heard of Ur, and vaguely knowing how to play, then yes.
I don't know of any more though, other than the obvious chess, go, and backgammon. And some Ancient Greek drinking games...

I mean play it regularly, I'm a big abstract fan and a fan of gambling games like Chinchiro. (Which by the way, speaking of drinking games works great with shots) I ask out of curiosity and in the case of Ur what rule set do you use?

What kinda Ancient Greek drinking games do you play?

Chess variants are probably the most interesting ones. Look into Chaturanga, Chaturaji, Sittuyin, etc.

For some of the more ancient games, we don't really have an accurate idea of what the rules were. Senet, Mehen, Patolli, and Bul are like this.

Tell me about Runebound bgg, is it the Heroes of Might and Magic board game I've always wanted? Is it at least better than Talisman? Is combat really resolved by throwing pogs into the air?

No, kinda, yes.

That's what I remember at least.

Kottabos, I haven't actually played it. It involves flinging the dregs left over from traditional Greek wine at targets named by other players, and required a lot of skill, or drunken confidence.

Another Greek one is just trying to drink out of these very shallow and wide communal drinking bowls without spilling it everywhere...

The rule set I use for Ur is basically the one in this video, but I wish I knew how the gambling mechanisms alluded to work.

youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I

Probably not, yes, yes and the pogs system is actually a lot better than you are probably thinking.

Looks good, thanks. When will they stop writing the name of the game on the game booooaaaard

Does anyone know like, a good board game for two players that isn't too loaded with baggage? I live with my grandmother since her husband died and she's been playing bridge for decades to keep her mind sharp, but recently she's gotten bored with it. I thought I might try to find something fun we could play together.

She likes quizzes, murder mysteries and puzzles.

Diamonds is a solid modern trick-taking game that might get her attention.
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective is a very solid cooperative mystery solving exercise.
And there's plenty of modern two player abstracts that aren't too complicated.
Onitama
The Duke
Hive
Santorini
etc.

Thank you, I'll look these up.

Obligatory Patchwork and Jaipur recommendation.

Biblios is also a great card game, quite strategic and not too complicated. Set collection game, get the most points in a certain suit and you win a d6 worth of points. Card drafting phase > auction phase > count and award points.

Seconding Onitama and Hive, both are very nice abstracts that require a different way of thinking as compared to chess

Could you guys give me/point me towards a quick rundown of the combat rules in Kemet? I heard that resolving battles is non-random and it involves card, where some cards have strong combat value while weaker ones eliminate enemy troops permanently?

Which color do you go for in board games if it's still available?

I'm a red guy. Second choices are purple, white and black. I hate green and yellow.

Black, orange, grey, red, purple, green, blue, yellow. In that order.

If my girl is playing she goes yellow, green, purple.

Red=Purple>Green>Orange>Black>White>Yellow

You have three stats in a battle. Strength, Wounds, and Defense.
Strength is derived from the number of units you have, plus a value on the combat card you play, plus any relevant special abilities you've acquired.
Wounds and Shields are derived from your combat card and special abilities.

You have a hand of combat cards with varying strength, wounds and shields. Each player will pick one card to discard from their hand without playing, and one card to play for the combat. When your hand is empty you will get all of them back.

Higher strength score wins the battle, ties go to defender. Loser must retreat his units to a neighboring neutral territory or sacrifice them, losing them but getting resources back. If the attacker won he gets a permenant victory point.

For every wound you have in the combat the other player loses one troop. Every shield negates one wound.

That's most of the essentials.

Twixt, breakthru, jumpin, and/or evade all of the 3m bookshelf collection

Black>Grey>Light Blue>Yellow>Orange>Red>Blue

Brown>everything else

Anyone has experience with Tabletop Simulator?
I'm considering buying a 4 pack for a few friends.
Do you have to pay for every game? (I'm seeing Scythe and Zombiecide for 8 bucks) Or are there ways free ways to get 'em?

>This only applies to tournament play. Unless you're planning on becoming a Terra Mystica pro, then don't bother.

I was thinking of it from a different stand point. I'd like to know so that if I want to teach new players the game, and still allow players with a bit of experience to play on a reasonably equal footing, then it would be nice to know the balance. I'd give the more experienced players the 'less powerful' races, and the new players the stronger races so that they'd be able to play on a more even footing.

No. Those are "DLC" which is a company's sad attempt at getting you to buy a digital copy of their game, block you from trying before you buy, and not making their own optimized app.

You buy TTS once and you can make or play anything available.

>What's that one game that has great promise, and everything looks good on the surface, but underneath is your worst nightmare?
Ponte sodding Vecchio. Great art, decent components, but it's just a dry dusty eurogame
>Could you fix it and how?
Just make the mechanics more thematic, I guess. Less bidding, more "Ha! I just played this card - that means I get more money!"
The new Star Wars Risk. It's always a hard sell, what with it technically being Risk and all, but when I get a group that's willing to give it a go, it's pretty damn fun.
I just go with whatever colour nobody else wants/the one least likely to be picked.

It supports the steam workshop which that community is very active, there was a working version of that dark souls 3 demo they showed off within a day.

It has already began
youtube.com/watch?v=6iA1pLuPxR4

You only have to pay for the official DLC games that have been added. You can get just about any reasonably popular game for "free" through the Steam workshop, which is technically piracy, if you care at all.

I've played around with it a lot for trying out games I was interested in and playing through the Gloomhaven kickstarter campaign while waiting for my own copy.

That's a conversation literally decades old. Staying true to the old source material means old criticisms of it are drudged back up.

I do have a slight moral quandary thing.

I want to make a game that, on paper, is basically project Elite. A real time shooting game about sci fi elite soldiers running through a base to complete objectives.

That said, should this just be something where I go ahead or not? ?I guess I just need the push for it, since i haven't even looked at Project Elite beyond the general description yet...

accordion solitaire

I actually just moved and gave them away, so I can't take a picture for you.

You might have the right ones in mind... They could be used as a kiddie table or as an end table. I think if you search "Lack" on Ikea's website you'll find them.

Does anyone have any pointers for Race for the Galaxy? I seem to do fine in my group but one of our regular guests runs absolute TRAINS on us, frequently winning by 20 points.

Social justice retards are meaningless, so long as executives don't use them and "market research" as an excuse to syphon company assets into bonuses for themselves, we're ok.

You can't trademark game systems unless it's something 100% new that can be patented.
You can legally make and sell the D&D Adventure System games by removing the IP and changing every single instance of keyword language. Because that's the only thing in a game that can actually be copyrighted.

Of course, it's best if you change things for the better when you're basing your design on another game, and you most likely will. Game design takes a lot of trial and error for you to arrive to the correct game feel you want from your product and from now to the point that your game is ready to hit the shelf it may be much more different and unique. So don't sweat it.

>I'd give the more experienced players the 'less powerful' races, and the new players the stronger races so that they'd be able to play on a more even footing.
I'm pretty sure an experienced player will always win regardless of race. Though it is true that certain races are easier to "get" for new players than others.

Which is better, The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire or Great Western Trail?

We're gonna pick one of the two to rent and play during the weekend and haven't played either before

>Does anyone have any pointers for Race for the Galaxy?
Play 1000 times against the AI to train yourself.

In a non-tournament setting, if people of the same skill level play, will the one with the most overpowered race always win?

No, the strongest race has about a 33% win percentage in 4 player games.

That really isn't that large of a percent chance to win. If you assume that each player has a 25% chance to win, then that's only an 8% increase. That isn't much of an advantage

What fucking game was Rob and the playtesters playing for 4 years that we got this? Were they squeamish about chasing glory? So much of the game is useless when mid- to late-game is over before the first winter? What's with all the rule discrepancies? Why is this an adventure game disguised as a 4x lite/ecomomic machine builder?
What the fuck is wrong with Rob that he won't acknowledge the game is jank as fuck?
This is all from a guy who won the last two games, too. This is a system that buckles under its own retarded weight the more boxes that are uncovered.
Why are some rules only in the captains booke? Why are some rules either in three places or none at all?

I'm pretty new to the boardgames world, is this what things are like when rushed? How can it be rushed when it was in developement before Pandemic Legacy? Is this normal in board games?
My reaction learned from the videogames world is to say "What the fuck, (Rob Daviau/Ken "shit idiot" Levine), why did you think any of this was a good idea?

The swing is a little worse on the bottom races but worst is still capable of winning a 4 person 15% of the time.

You want to pick up Titan if you want anything remotely resembling Heroes of Might and Magic in board game form

Purple>Orange>Green>Red>Yellow>Blue>Black>White

If it's that bad with some of the worse races, then people should just not use them

Tannhauser!

I've played varieties of Tafl.

God, I want a new edition of this so bad.