Can sever limbs and explode torsos

>can sever limbs and explode torsos
>can drop an ork nob in an eyeshot by frying its brain
>extremely accurate
>doesn't suffer from bullet drop, wind resistance
>significantly faster than a projectile weapon
>durable, reliable, sturdy, cheap
>almost infinite charge packs that can be regenned by putting them in sunlight or a campfire
>can be supercharged and used to explode dreadnought armor
>can be overcharged and used to cut through multiple squishy targets
>often volley fired by thousands of soldiers at once
>these volleys are capable of disintegrating titans and dreadnoughts

>"lol flashlights"

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/08/17794gw-homepage-post-4/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It just goes to show how much the memes have taken over the percetion of the 40K universe.

And yet has nearly the same statline as a normal slugthrower in Derp Hurresy

In our modern world the Las Gun would be an incredible weapon, almost overpowered for an infantry rifle. The problem is that 40k starts with enemies who can take a grenade to the face and works it's way up from there in strength.

Not that I disagree with you, but:
>almost infinite charge packs that can be regenned by putting them in sunlight or a campfire
Isn't really ideal. I have to imagine the former takes forever and the latter ruins the charge pack.

Still, Lasguns are rad and I wish they got more love.

The lasgun and flak armour are really fucking good compared to our standards, it's just that compared to bolters, gauss flayers, shuriken cannons, and pulse rifles they are a bit lacking

>thatsthejoke.jpg
its funny because it IS incredibly powerful, its just that the every other weapon is stronger still

the last part isnt true, as S3 will never penetrate a dread, much less a titan, no matter how many volleys you fire, and even in the fluff lasguns are told to fire at the infantry at the titans feet, not the titan

>and the latter ruins the charge pack
I would assume they're fireproof, and designed so that you can do that. OP would be really dumb if he just assumed you could put them in campfires without reading it or something somewhere.

Nope, at least to the second bit. Old lore (which, while old, has yet to be retconned AFAIK--it just hasn't been brought up one way or another in a long time) had battery packs--indeed all batteries--be science-fantasy crystals that easily took in most forms of energy with incredible efficiency and stored them indefinitely. Tossing one in a fire is less "emergency last-ditch hack" and more of a standard recharging method.

Hell, IIRC, the crystals took in all forms of energy, including kinetic. Bang it against a rock to charge it up! That might have just been a joke between me and my friends, though.

They updated that bit of lore. As early as 6th Ed Imp Guard, throwing your las pack into the fire was a last ditch method due to it having a good chance to ruin the pack, or in the parlance of their time "offend the weapon's spirit." I don't have the codex on-hand to quote, however, so grain of salt.

OH SHIT NIGGA I HAVE AN UPLIFTING PRIMER forgot about that

Lasguns are a logistical wonder, that's why the guard use them, but they are no more powerful then autoguns, which are slightly derpier modern assault rifles.

>str 3 ap -
Fleshlights is more accurate.

I remembered something to this effect being said in Gaunts Ghosts when they were defending the alien fortress and running low on ammo.

Plus Only War says something to that effect, but I didn't want to start a canon slap fight by sourcing it.

Why would a laser need lubrication if nothing's moving like a piston or hammer?

so the tiny machine spirits can fit down the tube duh

No idea, but they reference it again in Gaunt's Ghost's in the in the first book I think.

putting the las battery pack in a fire charges it, but cuts down on the life of the battery, it says that in the fluff of one of the older codexs

gotta keep that trigger in condition, good thing your commisar isnt here, hed have words with you

Only War says you can lose over half the charge when doing it.

But again, not canon anymore and was only dubiously canon before that.

what if you could get a lasgun model that discharges a continuous beam. Now imagine a thousand of this lasguns focus on one point on one target. Boom instant death ray

Lasguns were considerably better than Autoguns. The only upside of Autoguns was they had a higher rate of fire, but even then Lasguns not only had selectable power settings but also multiple ROF settings. Autoguns had a higher fire rate and were better against shields but were otherwise inferior by a wide margin. Still significantly better than modern assault rifles though, if not derpy in design.

>Commissar
>Words
What paradise regiment do you live in?

There actually were but none of them were capable of sustaining a full power beam for very long. Most of the continuous emission models were used as welding, cutting, or impromptu surgical tools, since they could not only cauterize wounds but were far less painful and grisly than a bonesaw or combat knife if anesthetic wasn't around.

my commissar speaks a lot. its mostly pew pew pew, but sometimes its blam!

The thing about the Guard and their armaments is that by any sane estimation, they're well trained, extremely well equipped and deadly professional fighting force.

They're just put against transhuman killing machines, eldritch horrors made manifest, and superhuman aliens.

>Placing the pack in an open fire will also have an effect, but this shortens the pack's life and reliability
>will have an effect
>shortens the pack's life

sounds an awful lot like it's implying that shit'll explode
that's an effect alright, and definitely shortens the pack's life and reliability

Probably oils to prevent corrosion and damage from constant heating and cooling.

Isn't *BLAM* a word?

Really depends on the regiment, but in general yes. Most of them would be easily comparable to any modern 1st world military. It's just like how Commissars have a reputation for constantly killing Guardsmen. Only have that reputation because of the shit they have to fight against.

Hmm....sounds like a good source for emergency explosives. Throw power pack, shoot with something hot, watch the pretty colors fly.

Do larger than regiment military forces exist in the Imperial Guard (Brigade, Division, army, army group etc?)

In Ghostmaker, Mkoll manages to destroy the front armor of a chaos dreadnought by rigging his power pack to explode.

What said, plus I recall reading at some point that lasguns typically have a small device in them to emulate recoil as a sort of force feedback. Supposedly a bit awkward to use without it.

>Do larger than regiment military forces exist in the Imperial Guard (Brigade, Division, army, army group etc?)

Yeah, but they're informal and weird. From what I can gather from Gaunt's Ghosts, anything larger than a Regiment is put together by Crusade leadership and only lasts for that campaign. I think?

Beams are a pretty inefficient use, especially on anything that moves.

Recoil would be a bit much, but mechanical feedback would be pretty important. Accidentally holding down the trigger and shooting something you didn't want to is a potential issue.

Lasguns are neat in fluff but tabletop they're flash lights.

A gun that can be fully automatic and have no recoil would be a godsend. The only reason for a lasgun to have recoil is if it's an fps video game and the devs don't want people spamming full auto.

Maybe something like a jolt that doesn't recoil, but does confirm that you fired the gun?

Trigger discipline is a thing.

You'd figure that the bright light shooting from the front of the gun would be a good enough indicator.

Most of the time laspacks are recharged at a proper charging rack. I assume most troops are issued a connector that allows interface into most power sources of Imperial design in kit. The ability to recharge in sun does take a lot of time but is still benefitial if cut off from proper supply/behind enemy lines.

Fire recharge will charge a pack in an hour but is indeed an emergency act as it reduces the effective life and reliability of the charge pack in addition to potentially ruining it if done incorrectly.

The rules changed. Lasguns can now take down anything up to and including titans. Fluffwise I think it stayed the same, but recently 40k rules became dumpster fire tier. They aren't even trying to have a semblance of balance anymore

>troops issued connector
More likely the connectors are standardized so they can plug the laspack into it.

8th ed? I've never played the wargame, only the RPG.

Has the exact same stat line as a slugthrower in 40k.

and thus, why, even as an anti-40k fag myself, if I were to choose one weapon that could be distributed to my nation's army as a standard equipment piece, it would be the lasgun.

if I could pick two, I would also use Sandvich since it's self-replenishing rations and medical equipment that can heal bullet wounds.

Haptic feedback would probably be within reason, but it wouldn't shake the gun. That would be counter-productive. It'd be something more like the vibration on a game controller where it vibrates a bit. A bit of physical feedback is going to be harder to ignore in the heat of combat than a flash of light, particularly when there are a lot of other flashes from a lot of other weapons going off.

I imagine it would also have a positive psychological effect on the soldier. It's easier to understand the danger of the weapon in your hand if it doesn't feel completely inert when you push fire downrange.

8th they can potentially damage one, but it'd take you longer than the game runs for.

I'd disagree. Compared to literally all of my other guns, my .22 LR rifle has absolutely no recoil. I don't even notice it. This doesn't some how make me any less aware of the danger it presents. That knowledge of how dangerous it is, is due to purely my training when I was in the military. You might have a case to make because some guard regiments are almost completely untrained, but I just can't see it being relevant. People are usually intelligent enough to realize which end is the pointy one, so to speak.

Alright. I was just making a guess that it was a rule change coming with 8th ed (at least, I don't think it's released yet). From what you're saying, it sounds like a case of "you need to be super lucky". Which I don't see being a super bad thing, but like I said, I don't play the wargame.

In any other world, this is a nearly perfect weapon. In the grim darkness of the future however, it becomes vastly outstripped by the space barbarians.

Don't listen to what said. He probably just heard some of the meme bullshit an idiot in the 40kg posted. While technically true, you'd need, on average, about 500 shots with a Lasgun against a Dreadnought (Or was it a Land Raider?). You'd probably need thousands and thousands of shots to down a something like a Warhound or Reaver Titan, not to mention a Warlord Titan.
It's simply not going to happen in a normal game.

I think you quoted the wrong person mate. wasn't saying anything about lasguns killing titans. That was

Oh yeah, wrong one. But my point stands.

Though in fluff a few volleys of average IG magnitude will accomplish both of those feats. There's a reason why no one ever attack the IG head-on without having a huge number advantage or some Warpspawn artillery/daemon to summon in the middle of them. The Chaos gods themselves couldn't survive a few volleys of 50,000 lasguns.

Void Shields seem to do the job quite well, otherwise Titans wouldn't be feasible to use, if you could just point a regiment at them and obliterate them.
The thing is, a titan will probalby have 100+ wounds (We've seen the profile of a Gorkanaut, it has 18 wounds, Imperial Knights will probably sit at 20-24) and a saving throw of 2+ (and maybe some extra rules for void shields and being such massive things), while the Guardsmen will probably need 6s to even attempt a wound.Now you might be lucky and shave 2 or 3 wounds off the titan. Congratulations, it's his turn now and he will wipe your guard-blob from the face of the earth. It's just not a feasible tactic. Better to take a few Deathstrikes and Shadowswords and actually accomplish something against the titan.

That's all in relation to modern firearms.

Compared to it's 41st millennium counterparts it's a bag of shit.

T. Eldar main

It's on par with the Eldar Shuriken Catapult though, so it's not fair to say everything's superior to the Lasgun.

In terms of the fluff, it's superior to the Ork Slugga, on par with the Shuriken Catapult, and the only regular infantry weapons that beat it are Tau pulse weapons and SM/CSM/IG boltguns.

the shuriken catapult rends and shoots more. Seems better to me.

>Sandvich
Someone's been playing tf2

>effectiveness reduced by weather conditions

It has a shorter range, is less accurate, and has less stopping power than a lasgun.

source?
inb4 'it's obvious'

to be precise: I agree about the shorter range, though it only comes from TT which is pretty unrealistic about ranges. But I can't remember anything about the rest

One fires very tiny sharp objects, the other fire a charged laser beam with variable settings.

It really is obvious that it'd have more overall power and range.

what about bladestorm? I mean, lasguns can never be AP2

24" S3 AP- (up to AP3 for hellguns)
vs
12" (up to 18" for DA) S4 AP5(sometimes 2) Assault2

What makes you think a lasgun has more stopping power? Seems to me like it has less armour penetration and less strength

There's a difference between not noticing the recoil, and not having a recoil. Even if you no longer notice it, the gun will still twitch, you'll still feel the vibration of the shot reverberate through the grip.

In the fluff.

The game mechanics and fluff often disconnect.

lore in the past has specifically mentioned lasguns defeating enemies that in game they literally couldn't even scratched. For example there are multiple times in the Gaunts ghosts series where guardsmen defeat dreadnaughts and other vehicles with the humble lasgun. Granted this is usually implied to be one in a million shots through driver slits or weakened armor, but when you're firing thousands of shots it makes it a bit easier.

while we dont have any stats for the upcoming vehicles, we can still assume that if the T of a vehicle is still more than twice the S of the weapon, then they still cant penetrate

which means a T of 7 is all that is needed to be completely immune to the lasgun, a dreadnought would likely have a T of 8

never mind
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/08/17794gw-homepage-post-4/

forget what i said, you can still wear down any vehicle in the game, although it is still not recommended, and it can be done faster with a bolter

They said in the faq that you can always harm an enemy regardless of toughness and strength, it's probably just going to be something like rolling 2d6 and getting 2 6s to wound.

nope, a 6 would wound (assuming a toughness of more than 6, which is probable. But you still have to touch it (vehicles now have armor saves), and even if you touch it, vehicles will have multiple wounds.
Food for thoughts: a Dread is T7 W8, Morkanaut is T8 W18, Imperial Knights have been confirmed to have 20+ wounds
Someone calculated yesterday you would need 500 lasguns shots to kill a Dread

>doesn't suffer from bullet drop, wind resistance
A gravitational field will bend light. The atmosphere will also bloom the beam.

gravity will affect it FAR less than a comparable slug, simply because light is faster
a target far enough for a lasbolts "drop" to be relevant would be physically impossible to hit at all

atmospheric bloom will not be a problem for a a sudden intense burst, like the kind a lasgun produces, bloom is more of an issue for long cutting lasers

>Sandvich
>not medigun which can heal wounds in a short moment, grant limited invincibility, and potentially limited resurrection when more equipment is supplied
Don't get me wrong, it would be harder to manufacture than literal sandwitches, but the potential would be immense if you distribute it down to squad level.

>laser gun
>recoil

You just made me imagine an honor bound IG regiment with autistic soldiers. If a commissar disproves of your behavior or wants everyone to be better he just walks up to a Guardsmen and yells BLAM to tell them of their lack of worth and give them great shame.

There's also the problem that a directed energy weapon has almost negligible penetration properties.

Thick mist off a river or a particularly thick hedge will stop/disperse energy discharge about as sure as a concrete block with stop a BB. Unless you have a slower burn or a really, really powerful beam then dust storms and thick undergrowth are going to be a real fucking problem.

Conversely, firing into metal, stone, or concrete cover is suddenly not a terrible option. Flash heating whatever the other guy is standing next to is a good way to cause some havoc. Imagine liquefying the concrete wall the other guy is crouched behind. You might burn off his face just by firing in the general location of his hiding spot.

Of course, 'slow burn' could be something as short as a quarter of a second. I don't know exactly how that would impact the lethality of your shot, though.

Out of curiosity, have you ever done the math to discover how many centuries of sunlight given a 100% efficient solar panel with the surface area of a soda can would need need to store enough energy for equivalent 100 shots of .50cal BMG? Or how many decades it would take for just one shot?

>all those supposed features
>enemies don't die when you shot them with it

lol flashlights

Actually, I think I read somewhere once that the 'recoil' is actually the gasses around the aperture of the barrel being super-heated fast enough to cause expansion and a small jolt to the weapon. Given that the lasgun's sheer wattage is VASTLY greater than anything we have today, even bleeding into the visible spectrum, I can believe that.

It's a game where poison kills necrons.

>lasers are coherent focused light
>bright light shooting from the front of the gun

You do realise that photons don't just suddenly do a 180 as they leave the barrel and hit the firer in the eyes, right?

So do you have a copy of the 8e rules or are you that retard who keeps spamming Fabius Bile vs Titan?

There seems to be a huge influx of posts and threads fellating the imperial guard lately.
Are people still butthurt that they revealed Gorgutz is the canon winner of Soulstorm and Stubbs is a useless little bitch?

The amount of energy you'd need to start melting things would be immense. It's far more likely for them to be pulsed lasers and to deliver their energy very quickly to small area.

Yeah they can technically. If you put Misfortune on your target.

This.

Cause it is shit tier weapon.

In modern setting you may compare bow to thrown rock and write how awesome a bow is, but still bow is shit tier weapon in comparison to modern rifles.

IG sends people in combat with inadequate weapons and that is why it is a meme, like IG in general that use retarded tactics and is leg infantry in space setting.
Investing in ground forces on galactic scale is bad idea when you should aim to get space superiority and orbital bombard planet into submission.

>"lord commissar, we can't hold ! "
>"wavering in the face of the enemy ? Coward !"
>"I sentence you to death, BLAM !"
>"sir, I do not under..."
>"BLAM ! your dead to me private, for you are a coward and cowards do not exist in my glorious regiment. You're not even worth a Bolt round let alone a Las shot !"

Guardsmen starts weeping, drops all his gear except for his comat knife and starts charging the enemy to his death.

Also this.

Something like one hour and a half of sunlight for one shot.

We didn't make up the wargame and RPG rules ya dipshit.
Complain to those guys, sheesh.

Honestly it's pretty wrong, so far no war has been won solely with an airforce, you pretty much always need boots on the ground.

But without ground forces how will you control anything? Sure with a navy you can just bombard your enemies but that gives you no way of actually claiming planets and conquering shit. And even if you could threaten the locals from orbit the second you leave they would have no reason to continue doing what you want.

If you were the Tau you could use a megacannon that only wipes intelligent lifeforms.

Better than autoguns or other more primitive weapons. Probably better than an Ork Shoota too, just in terms of accuracy.

Orbital bombardment isn't the solution to everything. If you're trying to retake a factory world that's devolved into rebellion, you don't want to fuck up all that infrastructure, some of which might be near irreplaceable. It would also probably be unwise to risk harming any remaining loyalists. You should really only fuck up a planet - from an agri world to a hive world - if there's no way you can really save it or saving it within a narrow time limit (i.e. before daemonic invasion) requires fucking it up a bit.

And on the defensive, you have to be prepared for when the enemy has either a larger naval force than you, or one that's just able to avoid yours entirely - because space is fucking big, you can do that. Orks are going to smash through a large fleet eventually, and Eldar ships could probably run circles around Imperials.

I dont remember where i read this, but apparently you can overload the charge pack to detonate like a weak melta bomb. Dont remember at all so if anons could prove me right or wrong, well thatd be juuust greeeeeat

If it wouldn't help in the middle east, how would it help in the 42nd millenium ?

Thus saving themselves from danger because Tau dont think

AntiTau salt never gets old.