Backstory Improvement

Post the backstory of the personas you're creating if you want constructive criticism and suggestions. Include pictures if you want, it will give us a better image of your character. I'll start:

He is a former military cavalryman who was popular for his competency in battle and friendly demeanour, a blinding injury to his left eye forced him to retire at a young age. He became the gamekeeper on the estate of his old war friend, who was recently assassinated in connection to his political standing. Missing his military life, he leads the investigation into his friends death to deliver justice and cure his itch for action.
He has a wife and daughter currently living on the estate of her wealthy parents. He promises that once his investigation is over he will return home for a peaceful life, but secretly knows that would never truly satisfy him.

This is not a lvl 1 char right?

Formerly a hermit living on a snowy mountain, the ongoing calamity forced him to evacuate where he happened upon a caravan. As the oldest and strongest, leadership was forced upon him. Though reluctant, being relied upon for the first time in his life served as a contrast to the constant discrimination that caused him to become a recluse in the first place.

As the caravan reaches the last checkpoint and quarantine station, he decides to take this leader job seriously.

Nothing
He wakes up in a bar, his only memories are about basic functions (how to not piss on your legs, leanguage) and the price of the cheapest alcohol.

A Wood Elf monster hunter/slayer who hates all dragons due to one wiping out her entire clan. She carries a large bow and a great sword (to behead her kills more than anything) and travels to destroy all the monstrosities and dragons she can to make her clan name famous and live on through the ages.

She is not great with people, as her surly attitude doesn't always go down so well, but she's dependable as hell in the wilds and when needing to find someone or something.

She doesn't know her sister is still alive, and vice versa.

Any additional stuff you'd want to add in? Seems a bit thin but it's all based on rolls from the 5e background.

Na, level 5 is what I was told to bring. Out of curiosity, are level 1 dudes not supposed to have as much "backstory experience" as this guy does? I guess in order to make their low stats more believable, right?

Keeps a sack of seeds on her person at all times, planting and harvesting them in her downtime. They grow and fruit fast, but they don't spread well. People assume that it's a Wood Elf thing, but the dragonsbane wards off threats and the crushed seeds are effective irritants. Not lethal by any means, but a bit of spite can go a long way.

Ongoing gag about paying his tab to the barkeep.
Why was he discriminated against in the first place?

>Out of curiosity, are level 1 dudes not supposed to have as much "backstory experience" as this guy does? I guess in order to make their low stats more believable, right?
It's good form if level 1 character have not a lot of experience. No
>my char is a war veteran
Or all that crap. It's roleplaying etiquette

He remained unusually unchanged after his first metamorphosis, smaller and weaker than his peers. Even after living alone and evolving again, he is still weaker than most others of his age. The large age gap between him and everyone in the caravan is the only reason he is stronger.

He IS smarter though, from sheer breadth of experience.

>76 year old Fighter/Barbarian
>Adventured with a dwarf in his youth and the two promised to keep adventuring until they meet each other again
>Works 50+ years of avoiding conflict with relatively low-risk adventuring jobs like being a guide, or assisting with caravans
>Getting old, making one last effort to find his Dwarf friend after all these years before he keels over
>Has something like 10 dex/str/con, 16 wisdom, 15 int, 10 cha
>Also owns a dog he uses to carry some of his stuff and for it's hearing/smell

2 sessions into the campaign, he impressed his group of young, arrogant party members by

>Detecting traps and setting them off from safety/getting the chaotic dumb fighter out of a trap when he fell into a pit
>stabilizing and dragging someone to safety when they were knock unconscious in a fight against a mob of goblins
>Used his dog to sniff out a goblin ambush in 2 occasions
>Also used his dog to sniff out the dragon wyrmling the party was looking for
>Body blocking the party wizard from a dragon wyrmling hit, then proceeding to diffuse the situation with offerings of gold and other trinkets
>Going into rage for the first and only time when his dog was almost killed by a goblin
>Surprised the party by capturing another goblin and nonchalantly started cutting it's fingers off and stabilizing it with his medkit so it wouldn't die until it agreed to guide them through the dungeon
>Doused the goblin in oil and lit a torch for if it ever speaks in louder than a whisper

He kinda went into edgy territory after the whole dog almost dying incident. He was supposed to be the party chaperone and more of a laid back old man, but now I'm thinking that he actually has his fair share of battle experience. I was thinking that he'd just be super racist and if you were of a race that wasnt widely accepted as "good and wholesome", then he considers you an animal with no rights.

As someone who's also playing the oldest and wisest in his party, I do suggest that you keep this type of character in more of a "support" role than anything. It's the elder's job to guide the tyouth, not join them in the front lines if it can be avoided.

Since she's fighting giant creatures, maybe she'd want to get some sort of moun. The extra mobility is usually pretty helpful.

Shit this was meant for you, not myself.

I had this idea of a half orc who came from very loving parents who babied and spoiled him and now he wants to go adventuring to get his parents the greatest 20 year anniversary gift/get THEM a present for HIS birthday in celebration of going against the stereotype that all half orcs are rape babies and fucked up.

Dunno what to do with him as far as actual gameplay though.

An aasimar Warlock/Sorcerer who took a pact with a demon just to prove that his own celestial magic is better and stronger than any evil magic the demon could give him.

Going to be playing a recently escaped physic Slave girl in an upcoming Gamma world game. She was raised in a secluded compound for most of her life along with some other kids. They were fed a steady diet of Magic Mushrooms and LSD to bring out their full potential. She specializes in causing mind shredding hallucinations and the occasional brain hemorrhage. Just before her and the other children where about to be sent to the totally real mother ship she was kidnapped by slavers and escaped with the help of my buddy's character who's a military grade kill-bot from before the world went tits-up. Pic-related is the closest thing I have to our dynamic duo

cleric that was dropped off at a temple as a baby and raised very strictly. wake up, training, prayer, gruel and water, more training, study, prayer, more training type stuff. he discovered that clerics in another temple in a nearby town did not have to do the same kinda strict bullshit, but would drink and party and be sociable with everyone in the town, while they were respected but treated with caution by their own town.

long story short, other town falls to a plague, the medicinal knowledge of his order manages to keep their town mostly safe, so the now freshly risen of the nearby town (a side effect of the plague) and so, the clerics used their training - both physical, mental and spiritual and managed to repel it.
having squashed any and all doubts of his own duties and responsibilities so does he set out on the world, in an attempt to do as much as he possibly can, even if it would mean carrying the world on his shoulders.

Sounds fucking radical dude! How do you plan to play out their interactions? Do you plan on ever having your Warlock use some demonic power to get the party out of a tight jam, or are you gonna wait and see what the dice say? Will they ever come together to defeat a common foe with a big "Heaven and Hell" attack? I need to know more

We're starting lvl 9 and I realized that was high enough level for a Wizard to get Permanency so...

My experienced Halfling Wizard lost a bet with his familiar, and now his permanently reduced Tiny ass has to 'ride bitch' to a permanently enlarged raven "wizard" for a full year of adventuring.

I like this because it gives me an opportunity to play a high level character that's still legitimately dazzled with childlike excitement at the prospect of fisting mother nature and flipping off father time. The actual halfling wizard himself is a bit too bookish and boring and aloof to really enjoy his philandering with the cosmos, but the novelty hasn't worn off on the recently-intelligent raven.

That and I kinda want the raven familiar to be just a little bit of a dick to his master.

Suggestions for source material? Character personalities that fit this? Anyone got good character art of this sort of thing?

Failing that, anyone got birds (preferably non anthromorphised) in either dapper or wizardlike attire?

It's still early in the campaign and I haven't thoughto f anything big for this character. The way I see it, he's either going to eventually have his final boss fight against the Demon he's getting his powers from, or he's going to realize that he relies too much on his Warlock abilities and try to purge himself.

Right now his Warlock spells are all offensive, and the only thing his sorcery is used for is quick escapes and tricks.

He's not too smart so whenever he's doing a history/religion/arcana check or gets a nat 20 on a skill check, the DM says that his demon just told him what to do.

that sounds amazing and i onlyy wish i could help

I'm new to rpgs and this is my first character: a drow rogue. Hopefully it's not too grimdark or edgy

He was a male drow born to poor parents. They worked as servants for a great house in one of the bigger cities in the Underdark. In a fight for supremacy, a rival house attacked and the parents were killed, among many other soldiers and servants. The then-teenaged character fled the underdark to get away from the cruel drow culture. He managed to find an understanding elf near a small village who took care of him until adulthood. It's been hard living on the surface due to a sensitivity to sunlight and repressing and hiding his drow nature, but he hopes to someday leave all traces of the drow behind

>WFRP setting
>High level char
>Born from Uranai father and Asrai mother, both minor nobles. They break up during his infancy, raised by mother, does not manage to bond with father but is aware of his double cultural heritage. Learns Asrai combat and etiquette very good, partly because he risks to be a pariah, being half sea elf.
>Wants to see the world and goes adventuring in the Empire, meets humans and different cultures, bonds with another Asrai adventurer and they become bros in arms. Buddy dies couple years after while hunting chaos together. My char is shocked and goes back to Loren to better train and prepare to defend it from chaos attacks. Becomes a skilled wardancer.
>Orcs attack near bretonnian countryside, human refugees seek shelter within Loren but they still pose a threat. Char just wants to drive them off, another asrai noble wants them dead. Humans gets slaughtered and my char is exiled, renounces nobility and severes all ties with Asrai society.
>Back to the Empire once again. Char finds a party and goes adventuring for some years around the old world, grows up, hones skills. Finds love within the party, and enjoys a brief peace.
>Party member is secretly a chaos cultist. During a city insurrection he kidnaps Char's love interest, and flees. Months of pursuit, eventually finds them but love is sacrificed to slaanesh, possessed by a daemon, and chaos cultist is promoted to chaos warrior. Daemon disappears, chaos warrior is killed by Char.
>Char goes back to Ulthuan trying to reconnect with his roots/find his father. Search is not successful and life is hard in high elf land due to wood elf upbringing. Char's combat skills though are noticed by swordmasters of hoeth, and he gets recruited. Spends years training with them and is redeployed in the Old World as an agent/spy for the Tower of hoeth.
>After some years spent developing a network in Altdorf, Char discovers tracks of the daemon possessing his dead wife, and goes on pursuit seeking revenge.

>A drow rogue
>Not too grimdark or edgy

Pick one.

Havn't got a name for him yet, but he's an idea for a Eclipse Phase character.

Basic backstory is that he used to be a soldier for on Earth some 10 years before the fall. As various conflicts started to ramp up and his personal life began to degrade more and more he simply said fuck and sold everything he had to buy an Alpiner Morph and fuck off to the Martian outback.

By his lonesome he basically lived out of various cave networks where he practiced martial arts and got money and rep helping the various Barsoomian communities eventually getting involved with FireWall when the TITANs showed up on Mars and was rescued by a Firewall agent.

So in total he has a lot of A rep and some rep with Tharsis League because they helped to take care of him when he first got on Mars so he counts himself as a barsoomian. He has some G rep because he'll occasionally act as a guide for smugglers and get involved in various drug using circles. And finally he has F rep because during his isolation he's been working on playing the guitar and is something a folk singer/songwriter

a new one for a cleric

>older man late 40s early 50s
>was a priest of Chauntea, Goddess of agriculture
>kindest man you know
>had a wife and son
>new girl comes to village
>befriend swife
>was a succubus
>tempted both wife and son to engage in relationship
>He found out about the relationship
>tells wife to leave in order to separate her from son
>Wife and son ran away together
>committed suicide
>damned to the abyss
>now man travels to learn the resurrection spell to save cheating wife and dumbass son
>because he still loves them

WFRPG

Apprentice Wizard (Going to go Bright Wizard)

Born in a village outside Altdorf
His father is a bald mustachioed former Captain trying to retire
Has two older bros, twins, named Sigmund & Siegfried. They take after thier father & serve as soldiers/guards for a local aristocrat.
Younger sister who married a baker.
Youngest bro is a nerd who wants to design forts & shit when he grows up.
His father loves him but doesn't understand the whole magic thing going on. Kinda like any movie with a sports dad & nerd son, but with no guilty disappointment.
Joined the College, pretty buff for a wizard, & really charismatic. (45 Fellowship) viewed as a Chad by the other apprentices
Distrust anything Chaos
Uses his dad's old sword or his charm to solve most of his problems

Runs with a female dwarf ratcatcher & her Small but Vicious Dog

She's a young noble from a minor cadet branch trained in swordplay by her doting father after her mother's untimely death in childbirth. A vicious monster attack in her teens and the timely intervention of an enigmatic shaman left her marked by a supernatural power beyond her understanding as the price for her life.
Viciously arrogant on account of her pushover father, admittedly noteworthy skill, and the subtle influence of her magical gifts, she has become hellbent on achieving renown and improving her station the only way she knows how.

A tiefling boy, left to die alone in the woods for his horrifying appearance, was found by a band of roving thieves who decided to raise him as one of their own, having knowledge of the innate magic and natural knack for deceit tieflings possessed. The boy learnt fast, able to pickpocket the gang leader successfully after minimal training. He is initiated as a Thieves' Guild member at 18 years of age.

At 22 years of age, he leads the now notorious Thieves' Guild. A heist on a bay-side town goes bust and he and his companions are thrown in jail to await execution. A pirate raid on the town frees him and his remaining companions, and the pirates gang-press them into joining the crew, along with a half-orc woodsman they also captured. In his travels with the pirates, a mercenary wizard travelling with the pirates teaches him to cast spells. Instead of using conventional spellbook formulas and chants, the tiefling opts to adapt sea shanties and horn signals into spells, unknowingly cementing himself as a bard.

The half-orc woodsman is revealed to be a wereboar, and the mercenary wizard practices horrible transformative rituals on him in order to forcibly grant him the power to transform at will, hoping to utilize his brute strength to aid in raids. The half-orc has to be locked up in the rudder room of the flagship to prevent him from hurting the crew. The tiefling pities him and sneaks down to play music for him sometimes. They become fast friends.

Later, the pirate captain is captured in a raid on a fortified town, and his treacherous son mounts a mutiny. The flagship of the fleet is assailed with incendiary barrels and the ship burns down. He nobly helps the rest of the crew onto the escape boat, but there isn't enough space for them all. He stays behind, waiting for death to come, before realizing that he had left the half-orc in his holding cell. The ship goes down with them still inside. They wash up on a foreign shore, and start taking odd jobs to stay alive.

It's long as fuck, I know, but I'm a sucker for a good story.

>it's a lvl 1 character what the fuck am i doing

Seems alright. Interesting, you've got a few hooks out of it. I'd play with it.

He is an antique suit of armor of inhuman proportions and uncanny size, wholeheartedly devoted to his goddess and all that she stands for, to the point where he's literally incapable of even thinking of doing anything else. He is covered in detritus from the sea, and changes the subject when asked about his homeland. He is quite vocal about his dislike of the ocean.