Traditional games have been infested by normies

>traditional games have been infested by normies

How do we drive them away, Veeky Forums? This is a serious situation.

Say you're not playing D&D, Warhammer, any card game, or WoD

> n0rmies REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You infect them. Make them like you are. Show them the appeal of the game and draw them in deep. Have fun and encourage them to do so.

It's how fucking sports does it. And there's a lot less bitching about the barrier to entry of understanding and appreciating NFL/MLB regulations than this shit.

>t.normies

>infect them
>show RPGs are fun
>more normies flock to hobby
>create shitty mary sue chars
>demand "social justice" and c u c k the games up
>invite "lmao i'm a gamer guuuuuuuurl" bullshit

worst idea, or worst idea?

Normies coming to traditional games was the best thing that ever happened to traditional games, friend. It means that the general autism levels of the community as a whole have gone down and we re finally free from our own that-guyness.

...Yeah, honestly, this? The guy who thinks it's a laugh-athon or the girl who only wants to describe pretty transformation are WAY EASIER to make into decent roleplayers than Max-Autismos. Because they'll actually listen to feedback instead of just REEEEEEEEing

Then you are a shit teacher

When I first started playing trpgs I was a total disaster that made mistake after mistake and retarded characters and eventually I stopped being a "that guy"

And you and most people were probably the fucking same

Dude, it's seriously not hard to break people out of making Mary sues. Fuck man, I've done it for a least a dozen players. Just ask them about their character, and after they tell you about being half-succubi half-angel half-elf with heterochromatic hair strands and

>normies
Woah, I thought I was on /a/ for a second there.

Normies don't have the attention span to play warhammer.

Even hipsters don't.

Holy shit, I've never noticed how true this is until you mentioned it

>have a "lol, I'm such a nerd xD" girl that joined recently
>she makes mistakes but is eager to learn and is slowly, but surely, improving
>there is also a real fatass stereotypical turbo nerd
>never admits his mistakes, acts like an insufferable smartass and dares to correct the GM if he thinks something isn't realistic
>he doesn't even play, just hangs at the table interrupting with derogatory comments like a pedant fuck

Guess which one I prefer

>normie
Tell me, you are one after all.

*... And how they slew their hyperdemon father and shit, (hit submit by accident), then you say "so, this character sounds like they already have their own story. We're starting a new one. Maybe you could make something who is more of a blank slate, so they fit in to the group and have a legitimate reason for staying? Also, you seem to think Chaotic Neutral is funny, gonna tell you now, that shit doesn't mean funny, that shit means annoying. Like jar jar Binks annoying, like that friend who would steal the batteries out of your TV remote and try to sell them back to you because she has a very serious drug problem but neither of you are willing to address it even though you know it's killing her but she's too proud to either seek help or beg and it eats you both away from the insides so all you can do is keep your own place free from addictive substances and keep her here as long as possible because when she's here she's clean but there's an open door so she can leave at any time because you respect her freedom as an adult woman levels of annoying.

Generally, after a pleasant talk like that, they're ready to make a much more normal PC.

That "that guy" is probably extra threatened by the presence of new people, especially women*, and is going hyper-defensive by retreating into a pattern of behaviour where he tries to be correct at all times and corrects other people to point out how correct he is.

*(not actual women who are largely politely disinterested, the loud judgemental bullies that live in his head and essentially nowhere else)

He's basically a sea urchin at this point. Based on personal experience, I think the only way to get him out of his shell is to not talk to him for five years and hope he gets over it. Worked for me, I was that That Guy at one point.

>so, this character sounds like they already have their own story
Preach it.

I try to make sure that any character I make for actual play works as a main character and a support character. What would this character do in a scene about them? What would they do in a scene about someone else?

Fun fact, Captain Jack Sparrow fails that test based on the actor's commentary for Pirates 1. You can hear Keira Knightley talking about what Elizabeth is doing in a scene and then (light-heartedly) complaining that Johnny Depp is flouncing around in the background stealing the scene.

That "that guy" actitude was always like that, even prior to the girl joining

Even then I can't, because he is a veteran of the association and even if we could kick him we are too polite to do so

Luckily is not like he comes often, but the times he does I can't stand him

Don't play with women.
>It drives away women
>It drives away white knight normies
>It filters everyone who isn't interested in actually fucking playing the game (except maybe the 0.5% women who aren't horrible but that's an acceptable loss).

the thing I like about playing with "nerds" is they actually read the rules, understand them and activly try to know the world. The thing I like about playing with "normies" is that they can genuinly enjoy a lot of the things I've prepared because they dont have an image of the rulebooks memorized, giving me room to be creative about my monsters.
It depends on what kind of game you want to play and the person you are playing with. As a rule of thumb, everyone willing to discuss things respectfuly and talking about their needs openly will be fun to play with, eventually.

>the thing I like about playing with "nerds" is they actually read the rules

But what about "That Guys" who are, you know, guys?

>players
>ever reading the fucking book
Hah!
Good one

we dont play with the same people then. Two people from my VtM group know the rules better than I do as the storyteller. The other two read exactly as much as they had to to make their characters. All of them are pretty good roleplayers, so I'm okay either way.

I'll admit this is weird, but I've never once had a DM that fully read the book either. I've had one DM that didn't even touch the book once, and he took us on a wacky LSD adventure that I genuinely enjoyed. Another DM had read more of the books than any person I have ever gamed with, which was still scant, and spazzed out every time we did something unexpected.

You do as one should with a douchey piece of shit and tell them to fuck off.
>MAYBE in a more polite fashion than that.

Or you collectively use "that guy" to further your own enjoyment of the hobby/activity. Somehow. No idea how. But you could.

Could even make them the centre of attention and then get on with having fun however you want to, by simply occupying "that" guy's time with "that guy" appropriate activities. Whatever those might be in your particular game.

You'll need some other filter to account for them. I propose not being a little bitch and just telling them to either play along or leave.

first, OP, you must fuck yourself

Oh, I know how to deal my That Guys, I'm just curious how you were planning to deal with them. The gender filter just seemed strange since the correlation has been closer to 0 in my area, but you seem to have more to your methods and be content with them and I don't feel like arguing.

That's what you get for playing with normies.

>implying fat grognards that infest tg for years are any better
I for one welcome our new normie overlords

>That's what you get for playing with nerds.
FTFY