/cyoag/ - CYOA General

Previous thread: Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

I got some time today to make a CYOA. Got any ideas?

>Dark Portal (Instant Portal): "body guards" should be one word
>Soul Trap: "dispeled"
>Soul Trap (Dark Ark): "owner" should probably be "opener"
>Possession: might want to rearrange the sentence from "ritual on [target] that takes [time]" to "ritual that takes [time] on [target]"
>Possession (Long Con): "sewing" should be "sowing"
>Allure (Love Slave): "posession"
>Allure (Overflow): "in midst of" should be "in the midst of"
>Vitality: "lot limb"
>Pain Network: "for use"
>Training: "spent" should be "spend"
>Training (Quick Learning): "masive"; "they're be"
>Juggernaut: superfluous comma in "hulking, humanoids"; "bulets"
>Thorn Turtles: "prety"
Typos and such aside, how does a Dynamo move about, exactly?

What's that vague discolored text-looking thing in the background (right below the first text box) say?

>Have CYOA written out
>have most of the images
>no idea how to use image editors
How do I do this? Please help.

It seems to be just stuff from the Defenders of Humanity CYOA.
Look up tutorials for whichever editor you want to try out. There should be some photoshop-specific tips by SDA in the pastebin.
Alternatively, you could hop on over to the Discord and ask someone there to teach you.

>pastebin
>sda's drive
>download help files
>follow them
>post oc

None that I'm not already bogarting.

I have Photoshop but it runs like shit on my computer.

Make a text pdf first. Add images some time later.

Dark Portal [Instant]
Direct Control [Upgrade]
Training [Proxy]
Technomancy [EMP]

Dragon
Dragon
Dragon
Explosive Seers (Dark Portal Bombing Runs)
Outsider Medic (Mount on a few dragons, support wing, portal in as needed).

This twisted game needs to be reset. We'll start over from zero, and entrust the future to the next generation.

1) Always use photoshop
2) Learn to create images and adjust the canvas/image size
3) Learn about layers, dragging and placing images in, and cropping
4) learn about the text tool
5) (opt) learn about layer effects
6) ???
7) profit!!!

I know all those things, but I don't know how to make pretty boxes that are all the same size and in nice even rows and all those little effects that make it not look like dogshit.

Reposting. Kinda surpirsed that the Consortation school isn't more popular, what with the maids and all, but I've been liking the builds so far.

some kind of escape cyoa e.g. from prison or serial killer's basement

>how to make pretty boxes that are all the same size
Just make one box and then duplicate the layer, dummy.
>in nice even rows
Move things with the arrow keys to get them autistically correct. Or crop/delete parts of the images so they fit. Also, holding shift while mouse dragging things makes it only move on one axis.
> all those little effects that make it not look like dogshit.
90% of what you see in cyoas is just clever application of Strokes, Outer Glows, and maybe layer masks + gradients for fadeouts if things are getting fancy. Even if you feel like you cant do it, images + solid colour background + text is perfectly acceptable as long as your color choices are good.

Escape from your mom's basement.

Don't forget punch through layers and shit. Plus rendering a quick background of clouds or such are a very easy way to make your CYOA look good.

>boxes that are all the same size and in nice even rows
Seriously?
You haven't read sda's guides. Go do that then come back because he explains it in one of them.

There is way too much text for me to bother.

Illiterate, huh?

>Male
>Catmancy 5 (Lets stick with cats for old times sake)
>Witchery 5
>Charms 5

>Bottle Stash
>Charm Charms
>Witch Hut
>Potions

A pretty neat little CYOA user. The only critiques I can think of are I think you're a bit too generous with points, it feels a little too easy to have lots of good stuff without any drawbacks.

Haven't seen this in a while, but its one of my favourites for the potential companions alone.

Yes, user. I am illiterate. That's the only explanation for why I don't want to read twenty pages of red/orange text, in a small font, with shitloads of words per line.
It definitely isn't because he vomited words or he's poor at formatting or being concise.

You forgot to pick your fifth item (one for free, plus one for being male, plus three for having three mastered magics).

Your words about words are tempting me to post something with even more words.

So I did. I can't even think what I'd take though, I already felt like I was getting too much

Its a matter of preference of course but I'd prefer it if I had to make some hard choices, as it is its very easy to have multiple immortality redundancies, getting just one should be an investment.

Is that supposed to be a jab at me? I'm not bothering with you posting something that isn't rewarding for me to read.

> being the girl is mandatory

Quite frankly I really don't give a shit of you want to be the girl, are into traps, even full on dig scat.

But I loathe when people try to force things like that into everything, especially on CYOAS

Nobody is forcing you to play a CYOA.

>Bottle stash: [...] Other than that,
Other than what?

>no elves

Love it already.
Fuck elves. Fuck them all to the bowels of hell.

True form
>Cutie Witch

Powers
>Potions 5
>Witchery 5
>Catmancy 5

Magic Items
>Potion of Witchiness
>Bottle Stash
>Witch Hut

Sure does suck that the hut doesn't have indoor plumbing, but it's nothing that can't be fixed. I might even make a few more improvements beyond that... I'll need a place to grow all the potion reagents I can, after all, and a pool would be really nice to have too.

Ah weren't saying it Finn
This is fine actually. Makes sense for it on this setting. Just doesn't in most of the others I'm bitching about.

>Forest, Coast (+1)
>Natural bounty, Surface deposits, Ancient ruins, Mother trees (-1)
>Humans, Elves, Dryads
>Paved roads, Sanitation, University
Wanted the Bazaar since trading is money but I figure the Paved roads are more important.
>Banking, Condensed rituals, Mechanical prostheses
Mostly because the idea of Dryads and Elves with metal limbs is wicked.
>Gaian, Charismatics, Divination

I'm a fan of this "you can carry over your choice to the next section".

Cutie witch

Potions 5
Witchery 5
Transmutation 5

Potion of witchness
Witch hut
Wand

>Witchery 5 de-aging cap does not decrease if you are a cutie witch
Shame on you

Beri made the OP CYOA girl only to fit with previously established lore in the defenders CYOA.

It's up to the maker what fits/makes sense in their setting. If you don't like it make your own 'hive king' CYOA or whatever, you fucking Termite.

>volcanic, floating islands, pocket dimension
Realm is bunch of floating volcanic islands. The lava comes from a magical pocket dimension. They erupt sometimes, but the capital is built around this problem, so it's always changing and can be very dangerous! Volcanic soil means there's places that are very fertile so there's lots of food.

>surface deposits cavern network, ancient ruins
Floating islands are connected by portals and are filled with caves that have ancient ruins and treasures and dangerous creatures! And there's lots of metals for the Kobolds to mine so we can make tools and weapons and stuff.

>elves, kobolds, dryads
Elves live in cities on top of floating islands and are best subjects. Kobolds live in caves and take care of labor. Since volcanic areas are fertile, there are groves of trees in the places where there isn't to much eruptions and lava. Dryads live in these places and are mysterious and wise with powerful magic. I ask them for advise sometimes.

>city walls, temple, sanitation, shipwright
Extra choice because perils. Kobolds take care of sanitation and every city has walls and shipwrights for protection and making airships. Capital has giant temple so hopefully pantheon likes me.

>improved metallurgy, chemistry, mechanical wings, airships
Extra choices because perils. Since floating islands aren't connected, we need airships. Lots of heavy armored knights and canons because fallen Queen, cult, and dragon. We can send messages between floating islands with messengers with mechanical wings.

>elemental magic, charismatic, true adept, secrets of the old ones
Extra choice because perils. Basically be powerful Sorceress Empress.

>fallen queen, cult, dragon
Lots of danger in this realm! As Empress I'd try to improve my magic skills as I hunt down the cult with my followers. Eventually I'll want to defeat the fallen queen and absorb her power so I can defeat the dragon!

Well, while I won't give an official apology on the grounds of me being a douche consider this the unofficial apology
Hive King eh?
Nah, I'd go for something more action-oriented. Maybe a modern soldier in high fantasy cyoa or something.

Text is fine, but the colors are eyecancer.

>Maybe a modern soldier in high fantasy cyoa or something.

>This guy insults other people's work.
>He literally wants to make a CYOA version of GATE.

Dohoho. I did check it out I ain't gonna lie. Hated it, absolutely terrible.

I was into the concept before desu.

JPG is a Mortal Sin.

Download GIMP. My Toaster can use it. So can you.

NO COMPRESSION JPG ONLY.

That is eyecancer.

Going to post a very old build I had for this
>Human
>Skirmisher
>Elven Mace
>Chimera Hide Armor
Basically a pretty solid but standard mace fighter with a weapon that reks undead and extra solid armor.

For companions:
>Bianco Darkfyre, half angel half demon mary sue
I've actually got a pretty good tolerance for this kind of thing in real life barring the odd rolled eye, and she's easy on the eyes and powerful
>Vermach, undead guardian
Just a really cool guy; can probably teach me to be a better fight, and probably knows a thing or two about fighting undead being one himself (which is important for reasons)
>Gannibal, tactician
The big drawback here is him taking over the party. But honestly, I don't mind! He's a better leader than I am anyway and frankly it seems like a lot of work and hassle I don't need. I'm happy to follow orders as rest of the party is a bit odd I'd probably slip nicely into the role of lieutenant.
>Semellore, dragonkin cleric
Probably the weakest link, but I'm putting together this specific party for a reason.

>Western Empire
>Ariana de Muerte

And this is why I put this team together. Normally in CYOAs I tend to err on the side of these challenges being more difficult than they sound, but this one should be in the bag. Myself, Bianco and Semellore (assuming standard cleric abilities) should all be very effective against the undead, and I imagine Vermach would be able to both infiltrate and advise us on how to be even better. But the real edge here is that Gannibal should run rings around the inexperienced necromancer, and with the Western Kingdoms full of well trained and equipped soldiers to draw upon I bet we can defeat her and her horde before they really take root.

Sure, it'll be more Gannibal's win then mine, but I'm sure there'll be money and glory enough in it for me too.

wat

Sure, I'll do a Consortation build. Not Consortation 5, mins. I don't like dealing in souls.

Sorceress
Charms 5
Consortation 4
Alchemy 4
Item: Potion of Witchery

Primarily a Charms/Alchemy build, but Consortation gets me access to Mammon, who will get me all kinds of useful potion ingredients for only thrice the price. Isn't it a good thing I can make Level 5 Luck charms to pay him with?

I think what user is trying to say is to save images as PNG's even if they become too big to post?

God damn it if Ravager isn't my favorite CYOA. Just letting you know in case you're reading this, author - you're awesome.

bbbut I just started learning paintnet and youre telling me to get gimp or photoshopppppp

>paint.net
Don't do it user

I mean I like it too but there's a lot of other CYOAs out there.

I keep seeing people saying that paint.net is shit and I cannot understand why. The only bad thing about it is horrible text editing, and it isn't much of a problem.
Personally, I always used paint.net for my CYOAs and it worked really nice for me, so what is so bad about it that people turn novices away from it?

There sure are many great CYOA, but this one is my favorite. I think that what makes it special in comparison to others is the existence of Defender, since it gives Ravager lot of perspective.

>Witch (Male)
I was going to make a Sorceress build, but I got really starved for those few extra points.

>Potions 5
>Charms 5
>Transmutation 5
Really synergistic, once you think about it. Counterfeit doesn't copy magical effects, but it doesn't say it has different properties - so once you have, say, a bar of gold, you can just Counterfeit more of them instead of buying them.

They're still limited by the amount of blood you have, though that can be fixed by using a Shape-Shifter potion to become a very large person yesImeanwoman, and relying on Charms of subtlety and luck (level 5 of each can basically work miracles) to go outside.

>Wand
>Charm Charms
>Witch Hut
>Necronomicon
The charms are to get started, the Witch Hut is for privacy (though I live on the plains - does it come with attached forest?), the Wand is for equivalent exchange, and the Necronomicon is because I had an item left over and it seemed better than level 1 Catmancy.

>three for having three mastered magics
>beyond the first
It's fucking bolded, and people like you still miss it.
You get ONE item for every mastered magic (minimum one), plus another one for being male.

Why watch a movie on a 10 inch screen when you can watch it on a 40 inch?
Paint.net is baby's first image editor. It is not powerful, it has a low skill ceiling. Everything it can do, Photoshop can do but better.
There's no point in using inferior software.

>Shape-Shifter Potion
>No matter what you look like, you still retain some elements of your witch type
Hope you're up for being a very large woman (male).

Who am I kidding, this is /CYOA/, of course you are.

It doesn't even make sense. If they wanted to be a girl, why not choose one of the girl options?

A cyoa where you become the waifu

I thought that was a possibility, but it wouldn't make sense to list out five of the possible 'elements' and just leave the fifth to be assumed - so I thought the witch (male) would be normal as well.

For the same reason that I picked Necronomicon instead of Potion of Witchiness - any given item is more useful than level 1 of a school, and I don't want to be a kid forever.

>true form
witch (male)

>powers
potions 4
curses 5
transmutation 5
witchery 2

>magic items
wand
witch hut
potion of witchiness

Need both curses and transmutation for true immortality - curses prevents you from dying, ever, while transmutation lets you stay young forever. Transmutation also solves money problems, since 1 pint of blood really isn't that much and 10kg of gold is nearly half a million dollars. Potions is needed because of panacea - eternal life while having cancer or whatever would suck real bad. Witchery is for utility - you get a comfy cloak that is perfectly climate controlled.

I really wanted to get charms, but anything below level 4 isn't going to be a huge boost, and being limited to three at a time pushed me to potions.

Waifu builder but you're the waifu or what?

Cyborg pit fighter!

Or forming a knightly order.

Knightly order sounds like gold

Oh, thanks for pointing those out. I'll fix them after work.
Dynamos jover above the ground.

That's a lot of dragons. Explosive Seers are a really good instant summon, since you can summon them very close to your enemies.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

Eschew all these retarded cyoa plebs and do this instead
>Torrent Adobe Illustrator CS6
>Open and make new file
>Go to the bottom of the View tab at the top of the UI
>Select "View Grid" and "Snap to Grid"
>Use the box tool and the text tool, and then drag your images onto the canvas
>Make CYOA
Watch some Illustrator tutorials, download some stroke brushes, get to know Illustrator and eventually you'll far surpass anyone using a non-vector image editor

Yes

Stop shitposting, scientist

>Implying it's not the truth that PS is shit tier compared to AI

We know you're australian but stop perpetuating stereotypes

Shitposting more like truthposting

That's easy. It's not like she locks me down here.

Wait, huh? What are you talking abou-

>True Form: Sorceress
Ooh! I wasn't expecting that~.

>Powers: Charms 3 [9], Witchery 2 [7], Catmancy (Cats) 5 [2], Curses 2 [0]
What a useful set of powers~!

>Magic Items: Charm Charms
Ooohohoho~! This should be fun!

Veeky Forums MAXIMUM FILE SIZE, SON

IT HARDENS IN RESPONSE TO .PNG

>roleplaying generic responses
never change user

I like whyisthishappeningtome user's builds

Male
Max skills in Charm, Witchery and Catmancy for my pickle pee waifu

I get 3 items. I'll get Charm Charms, 3 Panacea potions and a level 4 luck charm for everyday use.

I'll use my witchery to acquire all I need to create all the charms. I'll even dedicate my pocket realm as a charm factory of sorts.

Who?

The guy making these builds, dummy

Oh.

I assume it is the same user that makes the builds where the CYOA is sweeping past them & they just sort of react, notably with '-' denoting interrupted speech as changes occur.

I was tempted to repost Fulcrum and retweak and existing build and make supervillain alliance of the greatest hunters and killers, but instead I'll rework my big game hunter for this.

>Mortal Progeny
>Two adventures (+5 points)
Fuck your gods
>Boom-Stick 14pts
>Perfect Aim 7pts
>Colossus Hunter 9pts
>Grace of the Deer 7pts
>Unseen Stalker 8pts
>Raptor Mount 5pts
>Skin of Stone (Unless Beast Slayer stacks with Colossus Hunter, in that case I'll take that)

I will hunt and kill the biggest monsters I can find, and they'll never land a claw on me even if they do see me coming.

>Saorna
Would probably be less of a companion and more a semi-friendly rival with some tsundere overtones; I'm not adverse to helping her get better at socializing, but I'm a better hunter than her and I'm not shy about it. May end in fug
>Hakkar
Just seems like a cool guy and good drinking buddy. I'd imagine we'd have plenty of good stories to trade when we met up at a bar between adventures.

Speaking of which, first of all
>The Fire Witch
Child's play, no mere witch can hide her tracks from the likes of me. And who knows, maybe her patron would be a worthy hunt themselves.
>Boss Monster
I was made for this.

How ok/disrepectful is it to expand on someone else's cyoa?

Not ok
Make something inspired by it

Extremely
Don't do it

Perfectly ok. Especially if you fix shit the author was too autistic to.

Don't know and don't care about how disrespectful it is, but if you can cause some of the shittier namefags to REEEEEEEE the fuck out of here by modifying their worthless shit, do it.

>hating the people who make your entertainment

If you did that to one of my CYOAs, I would kick you with my feet and my hands.

>namefags
>making cyoas worth playing
They're attention whores.

It's considered impolite but nobody cares that much.

don't do it without the authors approval or at least make it extremely clear you're adding to something already finished, e.g. don't edit the page and add another page with clear explanation that it's not "canon" instead.

What's your cyoa, faggot? I will modify it right now.

>I would kick you with my hands.

>Editing someone's Intellectual Property without their consent is okay
It's not, kys

almost all authors have a name. that mean only the pill cyoas of ancient time are worth playing?