Game Design General /gdg/

Call me god, I give you life: Edition

Whenever I see that there is no /gdg/ present on the catalog I will create a new one, I shall sustain you all through your laziness and creativity.

Also, do you have a real explanation for exp gains in your system? Sure it could be just regular training and learning, but can you really train enough to basically be on par with a demigod without any outside effects?

Useful Links:
>Veeky Forums and /gdg/ specifi
1d4chan.org/
imgur.com/a/7D6TT

>/gdg/ on Discord
Channel: #dev
discord.gg/WmbThSh

>Project List:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/134UgMoKE9c9RrHL5hqicB5tEfNwbav5kUvzlXFLz1HI/edit?usp=sharing

>Online Play:
roll20.net/
obsidianportal.com/

>RPG Stuff:
darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/freerpgs/fulllist.html
darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/theory/
therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=21479
docs.google.com/document/d/1FXquCh4NZ74xGS_AmWzyItjuvtvDEwIcyqqOy6rvGE0/edit
mega.nz/#!xUsyVKJD!xkH3kJT7sT5zX7WGGgDF_7Ds2hw2hHe94jaFU8cHXr0
gamesprecipice.com/category/dimensions/

>Dice Rollers
anydice.com/
anwu.org/games/dice_calc.html?N=2&X=6&c=-7
topps.diku.dk/torbenm/troll.msp
fnordistan.com/smallroller.html

>Tools and Resources:
gozzys.com/
donjon.bin.sh/
seventhsanctum.com/
ebon.pyorre.net/
henry-davis.com/MAPS/carto.html
topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp
www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/demo.html
mega.nz/#!ZUMAhQ4A!IETzo0d47KrCf-AdYMrld6H6AOh0KRijx2NHpvv0qNg

>Design and Layout
erebaltor.se/rickard/typography/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4qCWY8UnLrcVVVNWG5qUTUySjg&usp=sharing
davesmapper.com

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0BwHpyafMnHlsNHphcXhHNFQ4Uk0
expirebox.com/download/abb3d5bf34e72deb352cba21a27dca25.html
spreadsheeto.com/vlookup/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16bABR_JegwdcE4ngYLU7pSxkHyV5QEG4rab6DcEeJu0/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/a/ghchs.com/document/d/1x9PlZYhVhJfVpNzompv8ms9tnlYkI6T4ychJedCmDrc/edit?usp=drivesdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Skills you train, stats need magical means beyond the first few increases.

>experience
Earned by real life encounters, spent by training. Can be earned by training, but it's slower and has a cap.

>gods
Everyone has the potential to reach such lofty heights, for the gods are but powerful beings.

>Earned by real life encounters, spent by training.
my nigga

where will your game fit in on the list, /gdg/?

with all the time and effort i'm spending on it, it's gonna be pretty good, so it might even make cancer tier

Neither are great systems, but I have a lot of experience with both and imo 3.5 shouldn't be listed higher than PF.

If I aim for God tier it'll probably be cancer.

But if I aim for cancer, will it be God tier? Or will I just create some new form of super cancer?

>Fatal
>Ok Tier

No where. I'm not making an RPG.

Bump while I type something out.

I'm looking for systems for scenario-level procedural generation. I've been tooling around with one myself, but I'm curious if there are any examples of existing ones.
Something like pic related, but a little complex than a simple table. Something with more room for interesting emergent combinations.

Did you consult a roulette wheel while making this chart?

So I'm trying to work out circumstances when to apply stress to a model, without it becoming too fiddly, for my morale system. The system is simple, you take a test during the maintenance phase of any turns you gain stress. You roll your morale stat in D12's, and each die passes if it rolls over the stress on the model. If all the dice pass, the test is passed, but if any roll under, it fails. If you fail a test you remove some stress but gain a negative condition. The first time is suppression for the turn, and if you fail while suppressed, you flee.

The instances I have right now for gaining stress is if you are damaged by an attack, a friendly model within close range is killed or flees, you fight a terrifying opponent, and when a model performs a suppressing fire action. Most instances give 1 point, except suppressing fire, which can give multiples. Does this seem like a decent amount of triggers without going overboard? I want the mechanic to be important, but trying to avoid some pitfalls other systems have done that makes it too important.

What is the scale of the game? Small dozen-or-so model skirmishes, or big battles with many units?

It feels like it'd be pretty important (and potentially a good way of removing units), and it also seems to punish things with high morale, if I'm reading that right. Depending on the scale, it may also be very hard to keep track of how much stress is on each model.

I like the idea, just need a tad more clarification

Small skirmish. And that's part of what I was concerned. I may change it to roll as many dice as your morale, and choose one to compare to your stress; or make it so one passes, but any other successes removes stress. The average morale I'm looking at is 2 or 3.

Bump

After some light digging I found this from the AD&D Dungeon Master's Design Kit. Its what Donjon uses.

Are there any other lists of very general adventure scenarios? I probably won't be able to adapt them all into my system, but I'm still curious.

The comedian Dave Atell once said, "the joke is never done." I kind of think that might apply to games too, if they are labors of love. What I'm saying is, you can only get better.

I wanna make a shit-tier game!

Why is Cypher considered cancer-tier?
My friend looked into it but I never asked what he liked about it.

Totally ripped this from Goblin Punch, but, I really like the idea of 'conviction'.

How I have it set up for my shitty heartbreaker system is:

>A player writes down a 'Motive' for his character
>This motive can be anything within reason (IE, 'poking an elf' wouldn't be allowed, to avoid reaping infinite Conviction from your party's Elf), and is the reason why your character is an adventurer
>Examples I got from players were, 'To write the greatest romance novel ever', 'To pay off my massive bar tab', 'To take spells from better wizards than me so I'm not a shitty hedge-witch for the rest of my life'.
>Significant milestones that advance your character's motive (like slaying a mighty coin golem for the bar tab guy) gives you Conviction
>Conviction can be spent to reroll anything

Edge of Empire is Cancer-tier? You really believe that? It has one of the best dice mechanics in any rpg.

>4e is above 5e
Its just someone's opinion man. Doesn't matter if its wrong.

>best dice mechanics in any RPG

So you've played Edge of Empire and fucking D&D and that's it? Shut the fuck up. Protip: any dice mechanic that involves me spending 20 bucks on dice, is already out of the running for "best dice mechanic". Shoo shoo FFG shill.

Stay mad that you can't invest in anything beyond a pass/fail mechanic.

Stay mad that you can't invest in anything beyond a pass/fail mechanic. The fact you even say that while there is literally a free way to just convert the symbols to the appropriate sides on normal dice just shows how retarded you are.

>Stay mad that you can't invest in anything beyond a pass/fail mechanic.

Except I can. And I do.

>The fact you even say that while there is literally a free way to just convert the symbols to the appropriate sides on normal dice just shows how retarded you are.

Heh. The fact that you think there aren't loads of good MoS-based core mechanics (like PbtA's) that don't require funky faggot dice OR conversion tables, shows how retarded you are.

Go on, though. You made, what, two posts for EoE now? That's 0.04 in your account right there!

bumpage

>Also, do you have a real explanation for exp gains in your system? Sure it could be just regular training and learning, but can you really train enough to basically be on par with a demigod without any outside effects?
Reality is a bit more malleable. If you walk and talk like a demigod, you'll become a demigod. Or die trying, whatever.

WHy does dungeons and dragons use the spell system it does?

What are possible alternative systems and what is good and bad about them?

Boys, boys, there's no need to fight. You're both faggots.

Although D&D4E made you think you were stuck inside an MMORPG, I liked the way spell powers were categorically similar to attack powers (at least in combat, which was what the game encouraged).

The system I'm currently working on is going to be so rules-lite that I'd have to say maximum bad tier.

Rules lite is good though. At least in the sense that you aren't adding extra rules for no good reason to try to be super-simulationist.

At-will spells (spells you can use as much as you want) and daily spells (spells you can use once per day). Fuck spell levels and fuck spell points.

Eh fair enough. Rules-heavy is a personal preference of mine. Mystic Harbor is probably going to be total 10 pages (though, without design, could probably fit on 1 or 2).

However, my big boy system is like up to 300 now? Stark contrast.

Holy shit 300? post pdf

Pathfinder fixed the skill system, but 3.5 content >>>> Pathfinder content any day. It was the last edition where the fluff had real creativity to it and the art felt rich and real, not this crappy CAD childrens book crap.

Haha. 259 right now, but working on version 0.4 which adds quite a few things that I think will easily bring it to 300+

I have posted TLB on Veeky Forums before, but it was never very well-received. That said, it's my forever project, and my group and I find it to be one of the most incredible games we've ever played, there's so much you can do with it. It's fantasy heartbreaker-ish, and it breaks a lot of core design rules (like, there are 2 different resolution mechanics), but once again - it's my big boy system that I love.

Good luck user - drive.google.com/open?id=0BwHpyafMnHlsNHphcXhHNFQ4Uk0

>Hopefully link works

I'm doing an urban warfare campaign, and am looking for any stories or information from DMs who have run such a thing before. I use a THOROUGHLY homebrewed version of 1e.

>Point buy
>Margins of success
>Pretty to look at
>d%
>Granular skill list, might be a pro or con depending on the person
>Combat is complex from glancing over it
>Initiative involves weapon length ( holy shit this is a good idea, stealing this)
>But initiative uses 2d6 instead of the d% skills use?
...And I give up on page 78 out of 259
need-to-actually-play-to-make-judgements/10
At least it's not generic rules light schlock

Hahaha yep. It's ridiculously combat heavy, and ridiculously rules heavy.

>But initiative uses 2d6 instead of the d% skills use?

Yeah, in my original post, I mentioned that this system breaks the cardinal rule of game design, being that there should only be one resolution mechanic.

For skills, we have d100 roll-under

For combat, we (largely) have 2d6 additive contest

This system is NOT for everyone, and all of us that designed it fully realize that. We designed it for ourselves, basically, and anyone is free to play it/use it/steal from it.

One combat encounter routinely takes an entire session worth of time. Lots of granularity, lots of math, lots of rules.

By no means is this meant to be insulting, but judgement (on this system) will likely be futile. The few people I play with like the way it plays (because we're insane), and on top of that, we work on this game very, very slowly at this point in our lives. That said, I will totally pass on any feedback to the group, and we will definitely consider it.

I didn't say 3.5 should be listed lower than PF either.

Pathfinder fixed a number of things in 3.5 beyond just the skills, but it carried over some of the problems and created a number of new ones.

Imo they are in the same tier, whatever that tier may be.

If it makes you feel any better my system (well received among friends/"playtesters" thus far, would be horrendously received here) requires an excel spreadsheet to do even the most basic of anything at all

...in fact, literally everything, from spellbooks to traits (rpg vidya talents analogue/feats/etc) to crafting is stored on a highly interactive spreadsheet

(And i love it)

Pdf is only ~70 pages with major fluff included atm tho

So, I started building out my consumables. I haven't fully decided if I like how I structured the effects - It feels a little too uniform. That said, I do want to add more options that could spice things up, so that not every one is just +1 to X for 2 hours.

Coming up with consumables that are not better suited as "Favorite Things" is rough.

That's my experience too. Everyone who has ever actually sat down and played TLB has nothing but good to say about the system. On places like Veeky Forums and Reddit, it's usually dismissal, but sometimes also hate.

My theory is that people in general are pretty locked into the system that they use. Most people don't even understand the rules to the game that they play every week, so they have no incentive to look into other ones if they're happy with what they're doing.

It doesn't bother me though - I have found no published system that fulfills my needs as well as the one I created that no one else likes. Therefore, I designed a game for me. No problem at all.

>...in fact, literally everything, from spellbooks to traits (rpg vidya talents analogue/feats/etc) to crafting is stored on a highly interactive spreadsheet

This is intriguing. Can you share the sheet somehow?

need to find a better way of sharing it than onedrive, lmao

one sec

Is there any links or advice about making a currency system in a combat heavy game?

>Be making deathwatch-based campaign in the 30th Millenium
>Badass Thunder Warriors rollin around, killin the enemies of the Emperor on Terra
>Combat heavy as fuck, including one mission where It's literally just the players versus the horde trying to hold out till they kill everyone that isn't GLORIOUS GOLD

thematically it makes sense to have a 'skulls of your enemies as currency' style system, but with the amount of enemies I'll have them kill (of various classes and kinds) I feel like I'd oversaturate it and make it easy to get the bigger/more exotic weaponry I've got lined up for them.

TL:DR How do I make a balanced currency system for Thunder Warriors during the Unification Wars?

expirebox.com/download/abb3d5bf34e72deb352cba21a27dca25.html

there's a lot of shit i'm not gonna be able to explain, but basically:

i don't feel like including the PDF at this point in time for several reasons, but the spreadsheets are more interesting

use the protected version of the character sheet

you copy abilities and traits from the Compendium (Abilities) into the appropriate slot on the character sheet

mind/body/spirit change damage done, healing done, health, resources
the other stats affect various other things
the passive bonuses from traits and abilities must be added in manually
AP is basically time consumed, you get X AP per turn (based on the value in the resources section) to spend
PE and ME are like Energy and Mana respectively, but more setting-appropriate terms (long story, roll with it)
et cetera

it's definitely not a good game, and i'm not saying this to trash myself--i have very limited design experience and it's still a fairly new project and it (crazily) gets better with each iteration

also if you don't have excel this could be an issue, i think you can open it for free in excel online--just let me know if you need to know how

one more thing - the quick links broke when i changed the name of the sheet in compendium (abilities) from Abilities to Abilities (0.8.4)

if you want to use that (it makes it easier) rename the sheet to Abilities

It looks like you have a solid foundation. I'd keep working on it.

No insult meant, especially because you said this before I did, but yeah, the character sheet organization leaves something to be desired.

Going forward, try to learn Vlookup and data validation in Excel. It'll help you clean up your content area, and with it you can hide your data - so, for example, you could put your ability slots on the main tab of your sheet, do a data validation list to get a dropdown of your abilities, and then use vlookup to pull in the descriptions, costs, etc.

>spreadsheeto.com/vlookup/

Also, I recommend rebuilding your sheet in Google Sheets. It's free with a Google account, for everyone, and you can share and do collab editing. It has all the same functionality as Excel.

Here's an automated sheet for TLB. You can see the examples of Vlookup and data validation I was talking about.

>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16bABR_JegwdcE4ngYLU7pSxkHyV5QEG4rab6DcEeJu0/edit?usp=sharing

>Go to File - Make a Copy
>Go to Advanced Maneuvers tab
>Choose some maneuvers to see examples of data validation (dropdown list) and Vlookup (pulls in descriptions, costs, etc.)
>Reference tab shows values used in formulas

>No insult meant, especially because you said this before I did, but yeah, the character sheet organization leaves something to be desired.

yeah, 100% agree--it's the biggest challenge with something as numbers/values/modifiers heavy as this, IMO. getting all the data in one place easily

>Going forward, try to learn Vlookup and data validation in Excel. It'll help you clean up your content area, and with it you can hide your data - so, for example, you could put your ability slots on the main tab of your sheet, do a data validation list to get a dropdown of your abilities, and then use vlookup to pull in the descriptions, costs, etc.

will do, thanks for the links--I was actually looking for some way to do dropdowns, et cetera

thanks for the link to your spreadsheet--even just a quick glance at it gives me ideas on how to improve mine aesthetically in terms of coloration, et cetera (in addition to the organization)

fuck i hate spamposting like this but hey

i really like how you added comments/mouseover information to cells, i think i'm gonna make that a high priority for stats and other key areas (whereas an organization overhaul will be something i focus on closer to "finishing" the first edition)

Speaking of Suppressing Fire as an action, how does this sound?

In an economy of 2 AP for most models, with some with 3, its a 2 AP action. You make a ranged attack action against the target:
>Both roll 3D12 and choose the highest
>Both add their respective attack or defense scores
>Subtract defense roll from attack roll
>If the difference is 1+, take a hit, plus an additional hit for each time the difference meets the weapon's Rate of Fire
The difference here is that A. the weapon's RoF is reduced by 1, and B. you don't roll to damage, each hit just gives 1 stress. The idea to allow more hits, but you don't deal any damage, just force a stress test that can either Suppress a model, or if they are already Suppressed, force them to break and run for it. I'm debating making the RoF decrease just 1; or drop it by 2, but give a penalty to the roll.

Bump.

Bump

How about making it more of a reputation system?
Mowing down lowlifes is a trivial challenge for a warrior of that standing, so it should only contribute in ridiculous amounts and circumstances.
Taking down significant targets, fullfilling mission objectives etc. grants some decent credits. Doing so in style instead of just scraping by awards more. Depending on who awards them their money they might prefer to see different approaches. It might be more tactically sound to go from a flank or ambush. But if your quartermaster/commander likes full retard frontal charges you better do so if you want that shiny new gun right after the mission instead of saving up for another month.

You'll have to invent something above God-Tier for what i'm making

time lord tier?

I'm a borderline retard when it comes to math and probability. Would using 4D6 be a viable substitute for 4D2 by using either a 1,2,3=0 and 4,5,6=1 or evens=0 and odds=1?

Cortex Plus does the Star Wars dice mechanic, but better, faster, easier and allows more freedom to what you roll with.
Fate does too.

Real talk, Star Wars funky dice is babby's first narrative dice roll experience.

Yes but it would feel worse (i got 4 6s and its the same as 4 4 5 :-( )

I think that's why the systems I've seen do it use exploding dice. So rolling those 6's feels good.

I think Elder God is generally the next level

>do you have a real explanation for exp gains in your system?

It's an abstraction of the twisted magic of the that world slowly seeping into your being, changing you as you change it, making you stronger and at the same time... stranger. A bit of "when you peer into the void" if you will.

Anyone have any good tutorials for making a TTS Mod? I'm developing a game and I'm thinking making that would be a good way to test faster.

What's a good way to differentiate blocking with shields and damage reduction and evading an attack completely beyond "You dodge and take no/full damage" and "you block the attack and take no/full damage"?

Evasion could be an all or nothing thing but I'm struggling with blocking. Maybe have it less effective than a successful evade but still offer some DR on a failed roll?

Could give it 2 success thresholds, say if evade avoids the attack on a 15+ on a d20 then block might deflect harmlessly on a 17+ or just provide bonus DR on a 10+. Far more consistent mitigation, less chance for total avoidance.

Sorry, I should've mentioned that my system is essentially opposed d6 pools, but I see what you mean. I could make the two thresholds between results a static number, so assuming two combatants are rolling 3d6 for attack/defense, maybe a difference of 5 is one level of successful defense and a difference of 10 is another?

It was just an example, obviously you'd need to adjust it to your system and test values to see what actually feels good. Just go with your gut and throw down some arbitrary values so you can get on to testing.

>Opponent beats your roll
You missed.

>Beat the opponent's roll
You hit them, but on a strong part of the armor, doing reduced damage.

>Beat the opponent's roll by X
You hit a weak point in the armor, full damage.

5 and 10 were my gut value numbers, haha

My only concern is making a formula or system that makes investing in blocking or guarding worthwhile. As of now, damage reduction is only gained from armor and shields, but every weapon also has an equip load of sorts that can also grant DR in emergencies.

Could the first threshold be something like taking full damage against your DR and the higher threshold be something like only taking half damage? Does that sound like a step in the right direction?

Just occurred to me that my suggestion was literally just yours I accidentally swirled through my brain and repeated. Sorry m8, but it helped me with getting on track. Thanks again

Just because you put 'real talk' in front of something it doesn't become true.

>Also, do you have a real explanation for exp gains in your system?
There's no experience, only levels.

You gain a level when it makes sense for you to gain a damn level. That might be a major moment in character development, or that you've survived a couple dungeons and aren't hopelessly wet behind the ears anymore, or because you found a sweet magic sword, or because you have a castle now. You get the same amount of mechanical stuff for progressing your revenge plot, becoming a more competent rogue, or having a totally sweet sword.

Not a terrible choice, you've essentially just removed a layer of bookkeeping and obfuscation from the fact that the GM decides when you level up no matter what system (that has levels) that you're playing. Only real loss I can see is some players may miss the feeling of working towards the next level and watching the numbers pile up or may be more inclined to bitch at the GM if they feel it's been too long between levels. Though the latter problem tends to be more of a shit player issue.

Which program did you use to create/design your book, it's really neat (sorry can't comment on the content)

I do something like this in my system, but instead of "full" level ups, you usually get to level up one (or more) of your features per session, and once you complete this level's "features package" you "unlock" the next level, and a whole new tier of features (there are only 6 levels in my game, but being a full level ahead of someone means a lot)

My recommendation would be to change your values and your durations
Juice Box could give you a bonus towards a certain problem for half a day
Firecrackers could be a higher bonus towards one "enemy"
Candy could be limited per "group interaction" as well (making a whole group "friendly" until they part ways)

I'm working on a scifi system, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make a movement system that can account for people on foot, but also vehicles. Getting as granular as meters is a bit too much for my system, and I don't trust that I could stat that out accurately enough to satisfy myself.
Going completely abstracted I found made it hard to differentiate speeds enough.
So I'm having trouble finding a good middle ground.

Honestly, I gave up on XP and levels after realizing I couldn't accurately explain it. Instead whenever your group completes a mission/small arc/notable accomplishment everyone learns a new Talent from their Style of a Tier they have access to, and chooses either a Skill increase or a Talent from their Archetype in a Tier they have access to. You can also train skills in downtime. The Attributes themselves rarely change too much, so demigod status isn't really gonna happen. But the longer you play, the more skilled and talented you become.

Not OP, but I really dig that idea

That seems pretty solid. You might want to work in something to represent that Suppressive fire generally involves expending more ammo than shooting to kill. If you're doing an ammunition system.

I like what the above user wrote, but just to throw shit out there, you could give the shield it's own HP, and have it take the hits when you succeed with it. So it avoids the damage like dodging, but it's gonna break if you keep taking hits. Especially if, say, axes do extra damage to shields. So maybe you still want to work some dodges/parries in there, but the shield can take the hits when you're too fatigued to dodge/parry.

Vehicles are a bitch, I've never seen a single RPG handle them and individuals at the same time and do it well. I don't really think it can be done, what you have to do is handle them on different scales. If a vehicle is involved in a primary individual scale encounter treat it as a set piece and wing it as necessary.

Shields having HP is a nice suggestion. I have another question though

I'm looking to add a bunch of general use feats or talents to my game, something any character could learn and use. Where could I look for inspiration? I just downloaded some GURPS material and I'm flipping through it for some ideas but I'm not finding anything so far

Been working on a war game. A bit of fluff, the gist is that humans drove themselves into extinction until the Earth have up its soul to save its favorite child, giving humans a massive fertility boost and the cost of the Death Shroud, which means once humans die their souls are shredded for eternity. The one exception to this rule are wizards, who mutated an extra organ that lets them process the Death Shroud and send some souls back to the Realm of Souls. Even better than these guys are Necromancers who can bond souls to bodies, dead or alive. Obviously a WIP.

docs.google.com/a/ghchs.com/document/d/1x9PlZYhVhJfVpNzompv8ms9tnlYkI6T4ychJedCmDrc/edit?usp=drivesdk

I have a cinematic ammo system, so I might be able to fit that in.

I need to read through it, but glad to see you are still at it.

Hoping to at LEAST make cancer tier.

Its a good start. I'd suggest the thing to focus on next is to work on establishing how things work on the battlefield. You mention units and ranks and such, but there's nothing to indicate what these actually mean. I'd make that the next goal.

I'm developing a new short burst RPG.

All of the players are prototype super-soldiers created by a malfunctioning god-like AI system.

Each player gains a:
>Power
E.g. the ability to turn any liquid into gasoline or multiply an objects amount or size (can be multiplied by zero).

>Item
Anything from a tin lute to an RPG7 that fires tinsel bombs.

>Mutation
Your head transforms into a camel's head? Sure. Your arms are replaced with broomsticks? Of course. The whole surface of your skin is covered with teflon tape? Why not?

The games will consist of short missions, such as.
>Rescuing a hedgehog princess from the gulag.
>Beating Stone Henge to death with a large salmon.
>Collecting a rare olive-dip that only grows on the sun.

Almost none of them will make sense, and will only be completed when the AI (GM) can interpret what you have done as completing your mission.

This game is still in the embryonic stage as I only thought of it today.

A game could also take place in a bugged out training simulation created by the AI.

Each character will have five skills.

>Shoot
Firing guns.

>Fight
Brawling and close combat.

>Run
Speed and maneuverability.

>Power
Success with using your Powers.

>one "specialist" skill
An area of expertise such as Lockpicking or Explosives.

Incomplete list of powers.
(note: all of these powers have a chance to affect their wielders).

>Enhancifation
Enhance an object’s properties or size.

>Lasarismatism
Fire lasers or grant an object the ability to fire lasers.

>Pyroarmancia
Expel fire or cause objects to combust.

>Multiplicication
Multiply an object’s quantity (this value can equal zero).

>Arterychokification
Manipulate and destroy blood.

>Liquigasification
Transform liquids into gasoline.

I've been working on something similar (d6 pools).

Have you considered shields allowing for rerolls? Like, if your shields Deflect value is two you can reroll two dice on your Evasion.

How do you handle your cinematic ammo system? It's hard to find a good ammo system.

Are you planning to have separate entries for each item/power/ect, or do you plan to have a smaller number of more generic blocks that can represent many other things?

I've just started developing an rpg system and I'd like some feed back in the core dice mechanics. It's supposed to emulate Star Wars narrative dice but without the proprietary bullshit.
So like Star Wars you have ratings for attributes (Str-Con-Dex-ect) and skills (medicine, navigation, shooting, ect), with skills and attributes paired. Size of the pool is the bigger of the two numbers, with the smaller number saying how many of those dice are upgraded. These checks are opposed to pools constructed in a similar way.
The actual mechanics are
>base dice are d10, upgrades are d6, circumstantial boosts are
>rolls of 1 and 2 count as one success each
>rolls of a die's max value is an advantage
>opposition dice work exactly the same but cancel out your successes and advantages
>you pass the check if you have one or more
>advantages and disadvantages can be spent on secondary
>both skills and attributes are between zero and five, if you have a zero in both roll a pity d12

So Veeky Forums tell me why this is shit and how to make it not shit. I feel like this is an engine that cuts out alot of FFG bullshit and doesn't require expensive single function dice.

Why did my post get dicked
The actual mechanics are
>base dice are d10, upgrades are d6, circumstantial boosts are d12
>rolls of 1 and 2 count as one success each
>rolls of a die's max value is an advantage
>opposition dice work exactly the same but cancel out your successes and advantages
>you pass the check if you have one or more successes
>advantages and disadvantages can be spent on secondary abilities
>both skills and attributes are between zero and five, if you have a zero in both roll a pity d12

Sadly true. I certainly haven't figured it out at least.

Wellthen as it's own self contained system, what do people generally prefer for vehicle movement?

I kept it simple. If you roll doubles or trebles on the hit roll, you crit. If your weapon has a crit effect, it applies, and you get a bonus to the roll, but afterwards you have to test. Each model has a tech stat and the weapon has a malfunction stat (the system covers ammo running out, weapon jamming, overheating, etc.).

You roll a D12 for each point of tech and choose the highest. If it rolls over the malfunction, everything's fine. If it fails, you can't use the weapon until you spend an action to fix it.

I'm not making it overly complicated, since you have to manage several models at once.

>Size of the pool is the bigger of the two numbers, with the smaller number saying how many of those dice are upgraded.
This was always an aspect of the system I disliked, even though overall I love the FFG Star Wars core mechanic. I think attributes always forming the base of the pool, and skills upgrading to that as a cap makes so much more sense. That is just my opinion though.

As for replicating the mechanic without the need for proprietary dice, I would say that your concept lacks a lot of the nuance that the FFG dice provide with how the results distributed across the different dice. My suggestion would be to go with a color coded system, where results are assigned a color which you place on the dice faces. You could do this super cheap with dollar store stickers, or buy blank faced white dice and color in the faces with sharpies for a little bit more.

hey Veeky Forums

should i press the button?

What are you using it for?