Character info is up on warhammer community:

Character info is up on warhammer community:
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/09/new-warhammer-40000-characters-may9gw-homepage-post-4/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nDMXNMudaq0
warhammer-community.com/2017/05/09/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-astra-militarum/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>no more joining units
Not sure if this was the best way to deal with the problems caused by deathstars.

It absolutely was.

There was all sorts of fucking weirdness that happened which didn't make any sense when you just piled tons of Characters into the same unit.

>No more deathstars

Farsight's Eight / Buffmander BTFO

>Kroot shapers actually good for something

The age of the Kroot is now.

>hive tyrants likely have less than 10 wounds

good luck, I'm behind 7000 termagants

>There was all sorts of fucking weirdness that happened which didn't make any sense when you just piled tons of Characters into the same unit.
Yeah, but that could have been fixed by simply not letting the rules that allowed for that affect models which join a unit.

Either way, I don't think it will be a big deal one way or the other. Characters still have a !LoS, they can still affect nearby units and they can still join in a fight against a nearby enemy. Fundmentally I guess not that much has really changed, esspecially since it's not like you can't move a character and a unit like they're one (like selecting multiple units in an RTS I guess) even though they aren't.

However, this does raise some issues with units that were created for the explicit purpose of joining characters, like command squads or honor gaurd. This basically undoes their entire function.

If the rule doesn't apply to Magnus you can be sure it won't apply to the other huge character models.

So a terminator or jump pack character will deepstrike on their own instead of with a retinue.

Yikes.

I like that characters can't be targeted though.

>"Shoot the Big Ones" returns
>Tyranid Synapse / Monstrous creatures can be targeted as normal regardless of intervening models

Not to mention it heavily implies 'big' heroes can't hide behind ranks anyway

the article said it doesn't apply to magnus because he starts with too many wounds

what's the likelihood of a hive tyrant to have more wounds than a primarch?

>primarch
I mean guilliman here

>>command squads or honor gaurd
>>This basically undoes their entire function
Likely it will be the exact opposite, they will be the only thing a character can join. Just slap a special rule on them that one character can join such a squad and your good.

This still helps the death-star problem by keeping you from having multiple characters in any kind od squad you want.

>Characters can't join units anymore

FINALLY GRIMALDUS DOWNSIDE IS GONE.

PRAISE BE THE GOD EMPEROR!

Now I'm just curious how Transports will work.

>what's the likelihood of a hive tyrant to have more wounds than a primarch?
very likely? a hive tyrant is a 30 foot tal 40 ton monster....
a primarch is a man.....
i would expect 12-16 wounds on a tyrant, considering the buffs that AT weapons are getting.

It's pretty likely that a Hive Tyrant will have enough wounds to not have the hiding rule.

It's meant to represent the Character not being found amidst his army, which Guiilliman can still reasonably pull off with his in-universe size being "only" about as big as a dreadnought. A Hive Tyrant not being found surrounded by small bugs that aren't bigger than a large dog is very unlikely.

That's not what it says at all, it only mentions his wounds and invuln as a way of explaining that it doesn't mean he'll get his shit pushed in because he can't hide behind his marines.

Best part, is row-boat has been specfically mentioned as being hidden by units
woop woop, best primarch

>characters can't join units
I fucking said so all the way back to the initial stream but no-one ever fucking listens.

>Can only target characters if they are the closest unit
>Vehicles can't be killed in a single shot anymore

The Age of Chariot Lords returns

Alternatively, just give people the incentive to keep their characters next to Command Squads and Honor Guards by either giving the unit a bonus while guarding one or by giving the Character a bonus by being guarded.

They could easily add a rule to Honor Guard reading "Any Independent Character in a 3" radius to any model from this unit can't be the target of an attack or Psychic Power", which would mean you could put your Chapter Master to the front of your army and be the first to charge in without the risk of taking a ton of wounds prior.

>Grimaldus
>row-boat

I think you are confusing your spess marehns, user.

It seems to be an afterthought, focused solely on ending deathstar stuff and then going "shit, so how do we make characters not die?" "fuck it, they can't be shot"

A situation like that might just have vehicle rules subvert the character designation since vehicles can't join a unit anyway.

So what are the chances that sniper weapons are going to be able to ignore the "you can't shoot an IC unless their closest" rule?

No, i am not, you were talking about a chriacter who previously couldent join units, and so was i

>That's not what it says at all

This represents the difficulty in picking out individuals amidst the maelstrom of battle and applies to all Characters with a Wounds characteristic of 10 or less, including things that previously might not have benefited from any protection. For example, Roboute Guilliman, who has 9 Wounds, can now realistically advance in the centre of a disciplined Space Marines army, directing his troops while remaining relatively safe from incoming weapons fire. Really big heroes, like Magnus the Red, will still need to brave enemy fire, but with, in his case, over a dozen Wounds and a respectable invulnerable save, he holds his own just fine.

>Chariot bumps the lords wounds up to 11
>Gets blasted with lascannons and deep striking melts
I'd kek

I had a lot of fun with Farsight's bodyguards, sad to see it gone. I really want to see how the new buffs are going to work.

Hive Tyrants might not work

But Warrior Primes might actually be worth taking now.

I mean it's pretty reasonable, especially with the usual humanish sized characters. You shoot at big targets (large groups and large creatures or vehicles) and hope you do some damage. Though likely if they have like precision shots and sniper specific rules those can probably shoot characters regardless.

a morkanaut has 18 wounds
a dreadnought has 8
guilliman hs 9
only "the biggest tyranids have a dozen wounds"
tyrants are literally the smallest monsters the tyranids have, what are you guys smoking to think that a tyrant will reach over 10 wounds?

>what are the chances that Marine, Eldar, and Tau troops can ignore this rule

>Only those factions have sniper rifles

>snipers can pick out characters
>Guilliman taken down by a crack squad of ratlings

Would make sense if they could but would be overpowered from a game perspective. 60 point sniper squads teeing off on independent characters won't be a good thng for balance

Ah, apologies, of course.

I seriously hope weapon types of that kind will exist

They could still add a rule to them that means Farsight can't be shot while any of them are alive.

>troops

>I don't know about the Imperial Guard

It doesn't say "a dozen" wounds, it says "over a dozen wounds" you mong. That mans anything 12+ and might as well go up to 20.

Also, Tyrants are their smallest "monsters" but still bigger than Warriors, Gaunts, Lictors, Zoanthropes and many other things. Hell, they're bigger than every non-siege unit they have.

None. There might be characters or weapons that can target ICs behind a meat wall but the base troop will not have a rule like that for anyone.

THE AGE OF THE SCOUT IS NIGH!
RG CONFIRMED TO BE THE NEW TOP OF THE META!

>Really big heroes, like Magnus the Red,
>really if heroes
Maybe it's because he's fucking huge, and the wounds are a byproduct

I'd be disappointed as fuck if the Assassin didn't have that rule.

I'm also hoping for a buff to Snipers in general, the non-spammable snipers are pretty underwhelming right now. Transuranic Arquebi are some of the worst weapon upgrades in the game.

>and applies to all Characters with a Wounds characteristic of 10 or less

We aren't sure deepstrike scatter is still in
nice trips by the way

>Characters can’t join units anymore. The age of the -star is over
>Instead, you’ll tend to find that a lot of Characters will have an ability that affects nearby units with a certain Keyword within a radius of effect.
>To counter the fact that these Characters cannot join units and “hide” from enemy fire, there is a rule in the Shooting phase that means you can’t target a Character unless they are the closest enemy model.
>The final part of the Character ruleset is Heroic Intervention. This allows Characters near a combat to pile in and attack if the enemy comes close enough, even if they themselves aren’t charged

All of my yes, GW.
Also, happy since bugs are definitely viable again.

We have a picture yet of the nu-marines?

I'm honestly just worried about my strategical choices. I use plenty of HQs joined to units in my armies to grant particular rules. Not shit like FnP, but stuff like Outflank that allow me to play my dudes in the theme I gave them. I'm quite wary of this.

we can be sure it isn't because the scatter dice is out

I completely forgot about Ratlings.

yes

GUARD BLOBS BTFO

Fucking sucks. There will be a character limit (hq) and guard are the weakest. The commissar and priest only kept them holding the line. Now guard is a tanks only army.

FUGGGGGGGG

You talking about that ancienct thing that could simply be a good wip or a leaked box art?

>Can't target characters unless they're closest
We all Corax now

no

What are you smoking, this made Guard Blobs way better.

Put a Commisar in the middle of 3 or 4 Guard units, he'll affect all of them and not just one and the enemy will have to shoot through 40+ dudes to get to him as opposed to a single unit.

inb4 priests give every unit within 6 inches their buffs and you place them to buff 4 units of conscripts at once.

>Now guard is a tanks only army.
>implying anyone will field tanks when any vehicle, even a titan, can be destroyed by fabius bile in one turn

Talkative one aren't you?

All this is just making me more and more worried this is true.

I like the character rules, but the more and more of the rumors on that list get confirmed the more I get worried.

>I don't want my army of 12 years to be fucking WORSE than it is right now.

Noice

Gully has 9 wounds, so he is exempt from this.

Advancing solo Spiritseers/Warlocks/Farseers? WTF Geedubs? Seer Council is still in, right? It has to be, motherfuckers.

>Implying Commisars/Priests won't be 1-5 per slot.

>can't be shot unless closest unit.

He can't keep getting away with it!

>That pic
>Can't fire from a transport anymore.

RAT SHIT BAT SHIT DIRTY OLD TWAT SIXTY NINE ASSHOLES TIED IN A KNOT, HOORAY LIZARD SHIT

FUCK.
U
C
K

>guards with lasguns are gonna wreck my titans !
>oh noes, now guard is a tanks only army !

Some people just don't know what they want.

youtube.com/watch?v=nDMXNMudaq0

>That rumor makes me want to cry.

More like both sides are over reacting autist cucks.
>>Oh no my titans! IG blobs can kill them!
>>Oh no IG blobs! We have no rules but commissars and priests must suck now!

We don't even know if standard commissars and priests will be characters and not squad upgrades. Not to mention the possibility of one priests affecting multiple squads which would be awesome.

Please describe your army, and explain how it could be fucked and made obsolete in any way by those changes in 8th.

Looks like Big Meks are back in business

Well dunno how they'll handle it but they'll probably do something more like the character can grant a unit the outflank rule outright or maybe just for a turn for a command point or similar.

read a little closer

An army built on one of those mono-Formations, like Ahriman's Exiles

Does this mean Warlocks won't be stuck with each other in Warlock Conclave? Stronger, more flexible Seer Council?

They still will be, guaranteed. This is clearly for what used to be Independent Characters.

>guaranteed

Dangerous word to throw around when you know as much as anyone else: nothing.

Kroot Shapers are just Sargent upgrades

Dark Eldar. Mostly Kabalites in Raiders using overwhelming amounts of poison.

Currently each boat squad is putting out 22 TL poison shots when within 12".

This change would slice that down to 10 shots, not twin-linked. A 55% reduction in fire power.

Compare that to a venom, 12 poison shots from the transport alone.

Basically shits on the Dark Eldar Army I have run for nigh on 12 years and pushes FUCKING VENOMS even more than they do currently.

>I have nothing against venoms, I just like to have more than 1 type of unit in my fucking army.

Buffmander now potentially capable of buffing multiple units of suits at once, as long as they're within range!

I see. Well, admitting that this rumour is true (I doubt it), I'm having an hard time believing GW would stop the Dark Eldars from doing what they do best - shooting stuff while pimping in their cadiacs.

At worst, DE vehicles will probably have a special rule to allow it.

Yeah, I hope to god they don't. But its GW, they can be that stupid sometimes.

>inb4 NewGamesWorkshop.TM

Just rework splinter rifles into assault weapons and let spiky elves actually hit people with their armour already.

Glorious Hunter Cadre buffmaner abuse returns!

>remove characters joining units
>add target priority
That was weird.

I mean, they have to let some characters join certain units, right? What about tau drones? What about bodyguard squads? What about boss nobz for boys? Sergeants still have to be a thing, right?
I dunno, I really liked min maxxing my orky deathstars. I understand why they did it, but surely it would be easier to nerf invisibility and similar broken rules to not confer?

Calm down user, this is clearly addressing ICs.

I think the idea is to force you to make difficult choices when placing, moving your units, as well as charging with them. It is a mean to give more tactical depth to the game, just like when retreating to let other units shoot at your opponent.
And I really like that.

I do like it to a degree, I believe the single best change 6ed made was wounds are allocated from the front of a squad first, but so many rules and mechanics were based off of small IQs joining squads to grant small special rules. I understand why they didn't want 15 chapter masters on bikes in a squad, but this blanket nerf, if nothing else fundamentally changes how units like priests, commissars, painboyz, and other small ICs work. And I love my bodyguard squads, I just picked Farsight up the toehr day, painting him ATM and if he's lost his single defining special rule I'll be more than a tad pissed.

That is, unless they let him assault from deepstrike. Then I'll be happy again. Very happy. Melee tau best list.

Couldn't they just have limited the number of IC that can join an unit?

I play mechanized grey knights with no dreadknights...and now I'm reading that I can't shoot out of my metal bawkses...and that my characters probably can't be in metal bawkses with my squads...

who are you trying to scare. chariots were bullshit because you could direct the small arms fire to the vehicle, and the big guns to the rider to invun save away. thats gone. I would not be suprised if they had just enough wounds to be targeted like any other vehicle now.

Even Ratlings – with their sniper weapons allowing them to pick out and target Characters – will now be reaping a tally on your enemy’s leaders in the name of the Emperor!

Source:warhammer-community.com/2017/05/09/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-astra-militarum/

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/09/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-astra-militarum/
u wot?

my orks use battlewagons as mobile firing bases. I have shot 20 lootas out of them before, or rolled up to 10 terminators with 15 burnas and burned them all down due to a single template covering 8, making like 60 hits.

so it affects me greatly.

>implying everyone in the world did not want the eldar to take a huge cock up their ass this edition.

Honestly I hope eldar players commit mass sudoku on launch.

That's an old ass rule from 4th, paired with target priority. Ld test or shoot the closest unit, characters were untargetable if they were within 6" of another unit. This was better than 3rd when units blocked LOS to the unit behind them.