Starcraft Lore

Better than 40keks edition.

In other news, why hasn't the UED returned yet?

Trying to make sure they can actually bring their new tech now tha blizard can be arsed to render it

Who would even care about this dead franchise?

>SC2 expansions still cost 20-30 euro

this is Veeky Forums?

did someone fuck up /v/ again?

Do it in a d6 system, not 4e. 4e doesn't havr enough customization for race/class combos.

Honestly, you're best off making your own system for it.

I'm Korean. I'm obligated to care.

If I cut you, would you exude vespene?

/v/ never talks about starcraft, and we they do bits only the gameplay, lore is Veeky Forums related for world building and the game does have an old rpg that some would like to build off of

I was hoping the whole of WoL and HotS that the UED would show up to fuck with everyone in a hilariously lopsided battle. Did Broodwar imply the Zerg sent forces to Earth, which the UED was too scared to tell it's populace about?

No, just that none of the UED fleet ever got back to earth

I need more Stukov in my life. The addition of Stukov to the roster might actually convince me to play Heroes of the Storm.

I don't know what about that manly bad russian accent does it for me, but I squealed for centuries when he showed back up in HotS (spoiler alert I guess?).

Then again, I've got a thing for military necromancers and I noticed recently I've worked some kind of military necromancer into nearly every setting or session I've ever run. He fits the bill almost perfectly and I think his reappearance in HotS just struck all the right notes for me at a moment where those strikeable notes were particularly strikeworthy.

Like... seriously I'd get a Stukov bodypillow. Post-infestation, obviously.

Faaaaaaaaag

You're what's wrong with Starcraft.

>starcraft lore thread
Reminder the Warcraft threads devolved into utter dogshit pile, after 2-3 months.

Veeky Forums isn't a kind place.

Willing to admit but I plan to enjoy it while it lasts

For Stukov, yes.

I'm okay with that.

Remind me: That one brood mother that was used to infiltrate the protoss ship. Was she part of the brood mother recall for the Dominion invasion or is she still a loose outlier running around in deep space killing protoss?

I don't know if canon has done anything with her in the spinoff books/comics/etc, but I figure someone here might know.

Well she ship she was on is probably drifting around until it reaches a Protoss planet. Then the war sparks up again and we have Starcraft 3

She's basically a character and plot device who can be dropped about anywhere, granted the ship should be drifting towards shakuras, well where it used to be now

I think Stukov implies they will be back at some point, which likely doesn't bode well given the Domain is weaker than it was when they struck the first time.

Stukov either should have stayed dead or remained de-infested, leading a merc band/UED reservist force fucking up the Koprulu Sector until he has enough warp-capable ships to bring everyone back home, then return at the head of a massive battlefleet and exterminate everything.

Take it to the Blizzard general on Veeky Forums you gimboid.

StarCraft isn't a traditional game.

see
Who the fuck cares anyway this is a daily occurrence on Veeky Forums

Earth probably consider action in sector inefficient cost wise.
Starcraft takes place away from Earth lgistics would be nightmare, planets are rebellious backwater and full of hostile xenos.

Small expeditionary task force was worth a risk.
Full scale military action would be to costly for what gains could it bring.

Probably. Going by Brood Wars lore, UED trashed all local factions with small part of it's fleet. Most of it should steamroll everything

Doesn't it have a board game or something like that?

Because why would you want Veeky Forums to be an overflow for /v/'s autism?

Starcraft: Alternity says hi. The system may be old than you, since it predates the D&D 3.0

Is it true that Koreans are now so good at it that they can defeat non-Koreans while the game is loading?

Because /v/'s autism prevents Starcraft talk of any sort

Four board games if you count Risk and Monopoly.

So I've got to ask while I've got the chance, has anyone e else here just ignored everything that happened in the lore after the end of Wings Of Liberty?

>after the end of Wings Of Liberty?
You mean just before the end of Wings of Liberty?

Kerrigan getting magically zapped back to being human was where it jumped the shark. If that game had ended with Raynor shooting her in the head like he promised to do when she murdered Fenix back in Brood War it could have been a masterpiece.

I wish I could ignore everything after sc bw or even after second last mission of bw. WoL dumbed everything down so much I just stopped caring about the lore.

Yeah they shit the bed.

You have Starcraft: Remastered.

Your country has spoken. They are not interested in the story, only e-sports. Shit even SC is dying compared to MOBA's and for good reasons.

As long as Alarak remains canon I really don't care.

If I ever play in an evil campaign, either him or Megabyte will be the ones I wish to emulate.

Pretty much, yeah. I've spent more time than I'll admit anywhere but here rewriting the plot in my head, if only because I used to love the setting.

why do people have such a revenge boner against a person explicitly victim of outside corruption?

Why do people assume Kerrigan wasnt 100% sane of mind when she was the Queen Bitch of the Universe? She isnt a victim, she used to be a victim and was given almost god-like power over a huge army, she became what she hated, a monster bent on gaining more personal power at the expense of anything and anyone, she became just like Mengsk.

because corrupted or not she was slave to nobody when she betrayed everyone, there was nothing left to save, not every bad girl is ment to be saved, the real kerrigan was evil to the core and not worth anything but a boss fight. Ther was no "true self" to save, the queen bitch of the universe was her true self.

when I played broodwar she came off as... not herself even without the overmind's control, she sounded and acted nothing like who we met in episode 1, thus leading me to feel as if it was still something in the nature of her zerg like mind, not her own personality.

hell even that could be played for a tragic angle if wanted, a woman who has always been owned and used as a weapon by others, by the confederacy, by megsnk even when she didnt realize it, by the overmind, it would make sense that her first taste of freedom, true freedom could make her psychotic, especially with the looming threat of a new overmind to make her its thrall. Now she had the army, she had the power, she would be the one to own and use others as her tools, after all, thats how shes been taught to see the world by her life, use or be used.

The tragedy isnt in the victim, its the life that raised a monster who cannot ever be reasoned with, who will never be the good person she could have been.

It's not that I have a revenge boner against her, it's the ham fisted BEHOLD THE CHOSEN ONE AS FORETOLD BY THE PROPHECY direction the story went in.

as a pro-redemption player, i still hated the chosen one angles they gave her, that was absolute shit, I could see her being one of a number of critical players, needed to prevent the bad future, but full on anointed one? fuck that.

Raynor: are you telling me she's some chosen one or something?
Zeratul: She is no more chosen than you or I, merely one crucial piece of a larger puzzle

something like that

Well she was corrupted, she was corrupted with absolute power and she was free to do anything in Broodwar, she could've dismantled the zerg and gave herself in but instead she consolidated her power in the swarm and betrayed everyone just to remain powerful.

Queen Bitch of the Universe is a great character, rendering her to a victim is a disservice to her arc in Brood War and the same thing happened to Mengsk, he was an actual human with good intentions but bad actions, just like any other revolutionary and was just turned into a caricature of evil.

Yeah, something like this. Kerrigan is the story of a slave gaining freedom and killing everyone for there is nothing but resentment and vengeance in her heart

I don't understand... making her less then pure evil is a disservice?

Thing i loved about voids ending is it created the foundations of a rpg setting.
I would not be surprised if Blizzard shocked everone with a starcraft open world game or mmo soon.

It's not the direction I would have gone in but I would have been fine with a redemption arc if it had been more to the tune of a gradual realization over the course of HotS that hey, maybe we should stop the three way pissing match (four way if you count Space Anduin vs Ebbil Dad) and maybe look into getting ready for the giant looming threat that is the Hybrids?

I'd play it. Races would be Terran Protoss and Primal Zerg, right?

each race would have options

Tribal backgrounds for protoss
Auir
Nerazim
Tal'darim
Purifier

Military trainings for Terran
Marine
Medic
Ghost
etc.

Zerg would have strains
Broodmother
Alpha Strain
Primal

Why not use the Cerberate Broods from Brood War? I liked the fluff on them and how each one employed different tactics.

I'd be surprised if Blizzard released another MMO to compete with WoW, I'm sorry to say. As much potential as there is I don't see it happening any time soon, 12 year old Worlds of Star craft jokes or no.

a. The cerebrates all died
b. It's weird for the player race to not have free will

>implying it'll compete
As long as they don't make it another tab-targeting MMO, it'll be fine.

>muh corruption
Blizzard, please go and stay go.

You've ruined enough settings with this bullshit.

>Why do people assume Kerrigan wasnt 100% sane of mind when she was the Queen Bitch of the Universe?
Because her character did a 180 in alignment, and the only thing that could've reasonably caused that is infestation.

I didn't think deinfested Kerrigan deserved a bullet. But HotS Kerrigan did.

You are incorrect about SC dying, even more so in Korea. Currently they have started up the ASL again with Brood War tournaments. We are nearing the end of the 3rd Tourny so far this year for it.

>people actually think Brood War Kerrigan had free will
wew

Would be cool if they also introduced ship battles. You could go light as a corsair or scout, or pilot a carrier with teammates. Vikings would be fun as fuck too.
Not sure what zerg would do unless they had the ability to mutate on demand.

Ghosts had brain implants that basically overrode their personalities. Combine that with a ludicrous amount of mental conditioning and anyone would flip their shit the moment it's removed. Before becoming a ghost I'm sure Kerrigan was a nice person, but there's a reason every ghost out there are ice queens/stone cold assholes depending on gender.

If I remember correctly she also took great pains to deprogram herself as much as possible, implying that she was striving to reclaim her individuality for herself and that, while insane, she was still acting according to her own will and with the pursuit of strengthening her will as a goal.

Although I think she was fucked up even before she got her implants removed, which happened after her infestation and not before iirc.

It is when compared to things like LoL.

RTS games are dying off.

As they lay it out in the epilogue the current major factions in the setting are
Terran
Protoss, High Templar, Dark Templar, Purifiers and converted Tal darim

Antagonist factions are
Zangara's brood
Alarak's Tal darim

Biggest clue that they set it up for somesort of open world setting is the segment about worlds becoming habitable mysteriously. Doesn't seem really significant to mention that unless they wanted a diversity of ecosystems in the setting.

I'm not actually sure which of the games from the SC2 triology is the worst. WoL laid the foundation for all the crap that would come, made Mengsk a joke and overall felt stupid, but the other two are probably even worse in the grand scheme of things.

Because starcraft sucks now

I assumed she would be used in LoTV as the reason for protoss fighting zerg, I haven't played it yet though so I cant really comment on what happens in the protoss campaign

She may very well not have been herself, but she wasn't under any control at that point. If she wasn't under influence then old Kerrigan was simply dead and the new one was a massive bitch, she worked well as a bad guy, its a shame they turned into whatever the fuck she was in starcraft 2

Your theory doesn't hold up, because the parts of Kerrigan's neural inhibitor that affected her personality and memories were removed by Mengsk when she was 18.

Next theory?

Because obviously the way your raised and the enviorment in which you were raised clearly doesn't have long-term effects on your adulthood...

It's C&C Tiberium Twilight all over again.

But dealing with Kerrigan specifically, literally the mission before she got caught by the zerg she not only was worried about the civilians (because she thought the protoss would glass the planet) but she also thought it was reprehensible to use psi emitters.

Your argument would be more valid if we didn't see that pre-infestation Kerrigan had a defined moral compass. A moral compass that did a complete and immediate 180 the moment she became a zerg.

Seems like more than natural character progression was at play here.

Also, Kerrigan had about 6 years with the Sons of Korhal after her neural inhibitor was removed. Yet in that time, she didn't show the Queen Bitch of the Universe's trademark sociopathic tendencies...until AFTER infestation.

Besides, this argument is irrelevant because we have both in game and out of game sources that confirm her psyche was altered by zerg mutagen. Canon confirms she wasn't in her right mind.

The Queen of Blades is the Mr. Hyde to Kerrigan's Dr. Jekyll. While Kerrigan wasn't being mind controlled, she wasn't herself while she was the QoB.

Daily reminder that Kerrigan was originally a one-and-done throwaway joke character.

>SC lore
>Better than 40keks edition.
HAHAHAHAHA. SC lore died after broodwar.

Enjoy your shit story about a long-haired hero who gets corrupted, kills former friends and then.... wait.. is that the SC story or the WC III story? Oh its the same shit.

Amon has plenty of zerg under his thrall instead

But user, I want to use my vast blizzard monies to work with a female celebrity that I have a crush on and have called hot in multiple interviews. How will I ever get to work with her if I kill off the joke shit character that is Kerrigan?

Also Hoes b4 bros, fuck you tychus

YOU NEED WINGS AND HEELS IN SPAAAAAAACE
also boobs

>No more Tychus
>No more Mengsk for Valerian to rail against
>No more Raynor chasing Kerrigan to kill her
Is Blizzard the epitome of wasted lore potential?

SC2 should have been Jimmy and tychus on a quest to find and kill Kerrigan.
StarCraft was supposed to be a game about 3 races fighting for galactic dominance. Instead we get mopey cuck Jimmy and a love story (THEY HAD 3 LINES TO EACHOTHER IN FUCKING SC1) and super sayan kerrrigan

The UED won't appear again because blizzard forgot they exist.

Stukov idly muses about their return in Heart of the Swarm. It would have been irrelevant with Amon's victory, but it sets up room for an SC3.

SC3 has 3 options:
1. be a prequel
2. Recton ALL of sc2
3. Story is set after the disaster that is SC2 and be complete garbage

I don't see how 3 has to be that bad. The things everyone complained about are done with.
No more Kerrigan, Raynor's gone too, pretty much everyone else is irrelevant except Zagara and Artanis, leaving plenty of room in an unstable new frontier to create a new cast and new story with the same setting (which no longer has a prophecized apocalypse looming over it, which is what SCBW left us for a sequel hook).

To be fair, Kerrigan ceased being a joke character long before Tricia was part of SC2. Fuck they decided to make her more than just a joke before SC1 was even finished. They thought she was a good balance between Mengsk and Raynor, so they kept her around. Then they decided her infestation would be a good plot twist and give the player a human face to relate to in the zerg campaign.

But...well...it just snowballed from there.

>prophecy in a scifi setting

It was just a precognitive alien being esoteric as dick anyway.

How new are you to sci fi?

Because prophecies have been part of the genre for at least 40 years.

Hell, just look at Dune.

Also that. It was an alien fucking with the superstitious tendencies of dumber races

This, while I was.. alright with most of what happened *still bugged by lots of things* it's a sigh of relife that the setting is past its big looming evil awakened crap, we have the politicing intrigue of Valarian's new dominion, the struggle for peace with the Dealam protoss, Alaska being a total dick to everyone else, zagara's new vision for the zerg and abathur's clashes against it, and any number of pirates, scum and criminals we could imagine

The moral of SC2:
You can kill billions of people, destroy planets, and in the end you'll get off scott free if you have a nice ass.

Tychus did nothing wrong

>try to save universe and get paid while doing it
>catch a bullet to the head from your "friend"

fuck jimmy

Real life is like that too, though

With the Nova DLC (which was ok but Nova is just a kerrigan replacement character) it seems they are trying to move away from all the Xe'l Naga bullshit they pulled off in the main campaign. With Alarak making a neat apperance and factioning in the dominion.

Indeed, I wanna see stuff with the other sub factions

Man I have wanted to bang Nova ever since that game was announced

It's funny, the Writers had hoped that DLC would have maDE her more then replacement Kerrigan, but when your am thing is being a sexy female ghost agent it's kinda hard to avoid

The UED as a whole were something I loved. Stukov and Dugall were fine characters. Stukov in HotS was somewhat bland and uninteresting, and still managed to be the best thing this side of Abathur to come out of it. I definitely want more UED, hopefully with a bad Russian accent with it.

I was annoyed that he got re-infested though, after that dumb StarCraft 64 level where he gets cured.

in warcraft III the corrupted lon-haired hero, who wears huge pauldrons, even kills his daddy. now what does that remind me of...