Help me flesh out a setting?

Running a Mythras campaign, and I need details for a setting, so I figured I'd pitch my setting and engage in the time honored tradition of tossing ideas around to see what sticks:

After the Eldritch Cataclysm Tyrant Horrors rise out of the abyss and sow madness across the land. Humanity is divided into factions of power struggling to survive while these horrors play games with them like a bunch of children who've found an ant hive. They are unknowable and unseen, but their presence is felt everywhere. Besides that, other terrors have risen across the land: monsters and colossal reality-warping behemoths that mindlessly ravage the land.

Sapient races have survived by harvesting the destruction of these behemoths as magic. The remains of their destruction leave the land warped and tainted, and resources harvested from these areas can be used to create magic and magic users alike. Wars are fought over these areas. The behemoths are thus the driving force behind change in the world. Kingdoms rise and fall by their hand.

Additionally, Pre-cataclysm tech is quite rare and powerful. Nations may form around these relics.

TLDR: Eldritch Apocalypse where civilization has been blasted back to the gothic horror stone age, behemoths roam the land warping reality and causing magic, Nations struggle for survival by hoarding magic and ancient tech.

Going for more Nobledark rather than straight grim. Sapients survive by being tactical and clever, and some have even managed to destroy the Behemoths, but one wrong move and it turns into a bloodbath.

Bumping for OP's sake.

Is it too long, or too generic grimdark?

>Is it too long, or too generic grimdark

It isn't long. It is general premise of world. Actually it doesn't tell anything about the civilizations at all. Also don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with that. No reason to go into extensive world-building but you should think about the general area where players will be playing, and surrounding areas, and give it the general premise as you did with overall world.

Is it grimdark? It depends about the approach? Scavengers. Fighting for bare necessities. Grimdark.

Bringing hope, progress? Band of Brothers? Noblebright.

Sounds interesting enough, what exactly do you want help with?

How are these reality bending behemoths both secret saboteurs playing with mankind and also their retarded playthings?

The behemoths aren't used, just the fallout of their destruction

Like final fantasy 6, the gods created espers accidentally mutating people with their giant death spells everywhere and radiating all of them

I would strongly consider bringing firearms into the campaign.

Mostly plot hooks and story ideas to fill out the map a bit.

The Eldritch Gods have the basic mentality of a group of five year olds who've discovered a large anthill. Their arrival caused the cataclysm and the rising of the behemoths. They're random, unfathomable, and wild, but not overtly malevolent. You never see them, but you feel their influence.

The Behemoths on the other hand, are terror made manifest. Huge hulking monstrosities that exist to warp and destroy the world around them.

If the Gods are five year olds poking an anthill with a stick, the behemoths are the rats, frogs, cats and other pets the kids brought with them.

Already considering it. Thanks!

I'm going to hijack this thread for a quick question regarding Mythras, if nothing else it bumps OP's thread.

I'm trying to make a Monk (So Mysticism) in my GM's homebrew world (using his races, the benefit of mine is that every time we distribute Skill Percentages I can divvy out 110 whereas others can only do 100). and I'm unsure if I should level unarmed or make a combat style that includes unarmed and leave the actual unarmed skill untouched. Furthermore, I'm concerned that a shield is absolutely necessary in mythras unless you are ranged so how badly is an unarmed character going to fair? Finally, I'm confused how you go about choosing traits for mystics without just taking a ton and being overpowered from the get go.

I don't know a thing about mythras I just saw the dude and assumed this was about a bronze age campaign

Have a settlement that survives via living inside the remains of one of the bigger monsters and entry/exit is through a system of tunnels outward. Think like a tree village but instead of trees it's ribs with rotting flesh.

> I'm unsure if I should level unarmed or make a combat style that includes unarmed and leave the actual unarmed skill untouched.

Normally, I would go for the combat style, since you could get the skill with multiple arms and get a combat trait, but it depends on the setting.

>I'm confused how you go about choosing traits for mystics without just taking a ton and being overpowered from the get go

Normally a combat style has only one combat trait, the one that better reflects its concept. That being said, Mystics ARE overpower if you give them full access to weapons and armor. But it shouldn't happen, usually. Mystic cults should be very restrictive when it comes to equipment, loot, etc.

It fits any tech level from the stone age to high middle-ages. It also has supplements about fire arms and modern weapons, though.

bump

If you go with a pure unarmed character you'll run the risk of being fucked in ways unimaginable unless the GM has the game's knobs twiddled and tweaked. Even with Mysticism things don't have to be auto-awesome. Spellcasting is not instant and automatic, and mysticism can be murder on your magic points.
The actual kung-fu monks focus on weapon techniques for the same reason Mythras advices you to create combat styles - weapons are simply that much better than fists.

A bump for any still in the dark about this game system.

Would a bo staff be enough for parry worries? I like the idea of a stereotypical kung fu fighter who only uses his arms and legs but I can also get behind a bo staff/short spear guy.

How do most go about making a Path for their Spell Casters to follow and how many spells/abilities to they do per rank?

A staff or spear is good for parrying and even better for reach. If you have an unarmed skill to match for when someone inevitably gets inside that reach, even better.
I just try to create a group of themed spells. Sometimes it's two of them, other times 10 spells.

back to the top you go.

Could I make a combat style that included a ranged weapon, bo staff, and unarmed and just use that or do I also need to level up my unarmed skill?