/STG/ - Star Trek General

Vorta Art Critic Edition

Previous Thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon_Intelligence
chakoteya.net/DS9/503.htm
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kahless_the_Unforgettable
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Hur'q
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Reliant
youtube.com/watch?v=tTuwo_TqlhQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Did the Founders surrender territory in the Gamma Quadrant at the end of the war? Or were they just booted from the Alpha Quadrant?

According to STO, the Dominion just left the Alpha Quadrant, and the Alpha Quadrant powers stayed on their side for the most part. According to the novels, the Bajorans rebuilt New Bajor I think, and the Feds are sending regular scouting missions through the Wormhole.

Not sure if it counts, but the Star Trek map-book shows the Dominion borders as having been reduced by the end of the war.

Was the creation of the minefield around the wormhole justified?

Of course it was. Why wouldn't it have been?

It took two years from the time the wormhole opened for the Vorta and Jem'Hadar to first show up, so that's probably the nominal Dominion borders but their neighbors still know to just let them do whatever.

Given that the Dominion were just shitting ships through it, yeah I'd say so.

But you know who were actually right? The Obsidian Order when they tried to destroy the wormhole in the first place. And, hell, that was Starfleet plan too when shit got real, only it didn't go so well for them.

Well either A) the people making the books made a mistake.B) some of the conquered people realised the Dominion isn't as powereful as previously thought and started to revolt against Dominion rule and they lost control of those areas. or C) It's due to Odos influense to the Founders and the areas where given independence voluntarily. Or all three possibilities at the same time

>The Obsidian Order when they tried to destroy the wormhole in the first place.

They did? I only remember O'Brien nearly shutting it down for good when that whole hate ghost thing happened.

The episode with the comet and the 3 cardassian scientists, one of whom wanted to get plowed by O'Brien.

The Romulans took a crack at it too.

Best BB bump.

Pretty much everyone but the Bajorans themselves have had a crack at it.

Why isnt there any good star trek vidya nowadays? I'd kill for a 4x set in the trek universe.

Also do you think the dominion will have huge unrest after losing the war? Losing a thousand ships to the wormhole you cant just handwave away when those ships could've been used in the Gamma quadrant after the war.

>Also do you think the dominion will have huge unrest after losing the war?

I'm willing to bet almost certainly, especially if the Federation shows up going all Fedaboo and offering sanctuary to anyone who wants to flee. They wouldn't be willing to seize and hold territory from the Dominion, but I'd bet you a lot that they'd be willing to send the big Explorers into Dominion space to safeguard refugee convoys and evacuate those with no means to leave themselves.

A Nebula, Excelsior and a Miranda showing up is how the Federation says "we're done ducking around with you."

>I'd kill for a 4x set in the trek universe.

Well, there's Birth of the Federation, which I'm fairly sure you can get as abandonware. It's an older game but it basically captures the feel of TNG quite well. I think it was remade as a mod for Civ 4, as well.

Then there's the 2 current front runner mods:

Star Trek: New Horizons is a mod for Stellaris that allows you to play as nearly any race from the show, in correct starting position, with ship models that upgrade to roughly correspond with the different eras

Star Trek: Armada III is a mod for Sins of a Solar Empire that allows you to play as the Feds, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians and Borg. It takes full advantage of SoaSE's random event feature to throw rogue Borg cubes, Doomsday machines, species 8472 and fucking Whale Probes at you until you crumble.

All 3 are pretty good.

>Why isnt there any good star trek vidya nowadays?

Because the only official Star Trek that's been around in the past decade is 3 nuTrek films and the as yet still unrealised threat of a new series.
And the licence in general is fucking expensive, and basically needs some sort of current zeitgeist to actually be able to move enough copies to justify development and licence costs.
The 50th anniversary didn't really do shit to change that.

>Why isnt there any good star trek vidya nowadays?
If you're a video game company, why bother spending money on the Star Trek license when you could just make a "Star Trek in all but name" game for much cheaper, spend the licensing fees on marketing, and if it's a success you have a new IP that you can make money on at-will?

Because you get a franchise and fanbase >>>>>>implying that collapses so quickly that by the time numero 4 comes around the dev team consists of precisely two (2) slavs

Even the Bajorans. The Pagh Wraith cults are all about fucking up the Celestial temple.

I could imagine the Vedek assembly throwing a shit-fit over it. And anybody with trading interests in the Gamma Quadrant would protest, but I'd imagine most people, including the Bajorans, would be much happier with the Dominion permanently blocked from entering the alpha quadrant.

If I were the Dominion, I'd be wore worried about Klingon raiding parties coming to get their fill of combat. The klingons have run out of neighbours they can afford war with. Popping through the wormhole for some cathartic, guilt free war against a worthy adversary is basically their ideal long weekend.

I'm sure the Feds wouldn't take kindly to the Klingons shitting all over their lovely treaty.

>Martok personally takes a fleet through once every few weeks and blows up a shipyard or breeding facility
>The Great Jello Puddin Pop is wibblin and wobblin in anger but does nothing because Odo distracts them with memories of the time he became Kira's underwear for a day

nigger what

Am I the only one who can't get over the dumbass techobabble?
Don't get me wrong I love star trek and have see nearly every episode, but jesus christ the technobabble, its not even that it's made up stuff, it's also that they aren't consistent with it.
And the fuck is with pointing different colored lights at wiring do? Live every time someone is working on a piece of equipment they just point a light at it. They use the stuff like it's all a sonic screwdriver but the sonic screwdriver has a telepathic interface, so how in the fuck can the "hyper spanner" seem to fix everything just by blinking a light.

I don't really like it either, especially when they use it to pad out an episode.

I'm not raging and sperging though.

Well, I wasn't sperging about it until I tried to watch TNG again and couldn't get through the first half.
It was an episode I hadn't seen for about 5 years and just in comparison, I'm able to re-watch the west wing and thoroughly enjoy it about once a year.

>Well, I wasn't sperging about it until

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that you were. The way you phrased it it came off as a legit criticism of how the show operated rather than some hardcore Comic Book Guy thing.

You forgot star trek legacy

Armada III borg are made to be a boss race that multiple players team up against. They are BROKEN as FUCK.

No. No one forgot that game. Ever. He was listing games that were, at worst, decent. Not ones that were ABOMINABLE.

what is wrong with legacy?

I personally don't find it *horrible*, but the mostly 2D maps, the phoned-in voice acting, the point system, and the balance of ships are all marks against it.

well, it's an old console game with limited budget, there wasn't much they could've done, but i'd love to see a similar game built with better mechanics

#notallcrystallineentities

>No faction of friendly crystalline entities

What was the Klingon counterpart to Obsidian Order/Tal Shiar/Section 31?

[screeches with diversity]

Remember when Kor told Kirk everyone in the Empire was under surveillance, even planetary governors?

I'd assume the ones doing the surveillance. Funny how we never hear anything about them.

The non-canon name is Imperial Intelligence.

And the canon name is Klingon Intelligence stupid, I know.

>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon_Intelligence

Is Klingon Intelligence a name, or a description?

You tell me?

>BASHIR: So you're saying he's a spy?
>ODO: The younger Darvin's mission was to derail Federation colonisation efforts by poisoning a shipment of grain which was, which is being stored aboard the station. However, eighteen hours from now, James Kirk will expose him and he will be arrested.
>WORF: That arrest will end his career. Klingon Intelligence will turn their back on him and he will become an outcast.
>ODO: From what we've been able to piece together, he spent the next hundred years eking out a meager living posing as a human merchant. Then in a final indignity, he was trapped in Cardassian space by the Klingon invasion.

>chakoteya.net/DS9/503.htm

Honestly? It could be either. Personally, I'd rather that it was an informal name for the Klingon Empire's intelligence and espionage service... but this is Trek we're talking about, so my expectations are not exactly high. This is the franchise that gave us warp 10 salamanders, after all. And no, that wasn't declared non-canon. That's a myth until proven otherwise.

There's also the 3 Klingons from O'Brien's time-travel episode. They were there to pose as normal, drunkard Klingons while spying on the Romulans.

>The great jello puddin pop is wibblin and wobblin in anger

Sisko is my favorite, but fuck if this didn't destroy my sides while reading it

Technobabble is a lazy, formulaic way of creating technology tailored to the core problem of each individual episode. And yes, it's terrible. At it's core, Star Trek having it's own technology with it's own rules is a good idea. Subspace, Warp Cores, Phasers, etc. They all have a loose set of rules that they adhere to, with some wiggle room for new ideas/problems down the road.

But Technobabble goes beyond that. It overly complicates the core concept by overwhelming the viewer with dozen of abstract terms that have never been mentioned before and never will be mentioned again, as a cheap way to sidestep continuity, and even then they sometimes manage to fuck it up by completely changing the purpose of a given technology. It's present in all of the series, but Voyager is, by far, the worst offender.

I honestly don't want to try and put a number on how many times it happens, but the following exchange, or variation thereof, is far too familiar.
>Be'Lanna. we need to boost power to the transphasic shields.
>I'm sorry captain, but our EPS relays are at bursting point trying to resist this geodessic radiation field.
>What if we tried remodulating our subspace field stabilisers to emit a duotronic phase amplifier wave?
>That might just form a subspace-poleron shear, pushing Voyager clear of the geodessic radiation!

What cleverness is there in that? What tension, even? They pull some random phrase out of their asses and then exposit that it'll save the day. That's not dramatic, that's deus ex machina in the worst sense of the phrase. And it wont ever be used again. In fact, a few weeks later they'll probably use one of those things to do something entirely different in essentially the same format.

What I find really egregious is when they decide to create a new mcguffin when they already have perfectly applicable mcguffins at their fingertips. Let's use the Voyager Episode "Inside Man" as an example. cont...

In Voyager, they must create dozens of forms of radiation. Some of them have actual grounding in scientific fact, albeit rather vaguely. “Geodesic Radiation” for example, is sort of an actual thing, but it’s really just used as science-y sounding word for “shit that’s going to kill us all, lickety split”.

But Star Trek has already established a number of perfectly suitable substitutes for this newly introduced mcguffin. Some of them even come from the Voyager series. Theta Radiation, for example. We’ve seen how lethal it is from interactions with the Malon. Throwing it out there as a serious threat isn’t unreasonable. It’s a known quantity.

But given the situation that our “geodesic radiation” is coming up, as something experienced very near to the surface of a star, It’s not unreasonable to just say Gamma radiation. That shit’s very real and will kill you just fine. Something the Enterprise had to deal with in “Brothers”.

The point is that giving something a fancy name just to sound complicated is a poor substitute for good writing. All it serves to do is needlessly complicate the story so that things seem to be happening when they might as well be saying:
>Be’Lanna, we need to science the whoseywhatsit. Press the button that stops the ship from exploding.
>I’m sorry captain but I’m enduring gastric distress due to Neelix’s inability to cook edible food.
>What if you tried wriggling your pinky up your own asshole for a bit?
>That night just break the poo up enough for me to sputter it out so I can press the “lets-not-die” button!

TUPAC ALIVE IN CARDASSIA AND MAKING FAST RAP MAGIC DEATH TO BAJOR HAHAHA DO NOT FORGT FUkc Turk asshole GOWRON RASCAL FUck our REPTile Brothers VOTH XAXAXAXA.

>Like a balloon where something bad happens

I agree.

fucking kek

[Muffled it ain't me in the distance]

This is absolutely my biggest complaint with Voyager, because they use technobabble as the plot unto itself instead of just using it to set up the actual plot.

Let's take a random episode of Next Generation for example, like that one where La Forge and Ro end up phase cloaked. There's an absolute shit-ton of technobabble in the episode from start to end and the episode finishes with them using a whoseywhatsit wave to sweep the doohickey particles. But all of that just sets up the real themes and plot of the episode, which is: 1) La Forge and Ro's reactions to a situation that looks like death (Ro just accepts it while La Forge refuses to believe it, which is some good character moments), 2) the crew's response to what seems like the deaths of two close friends, and 3) them eventually puzzling out what the real issue is and finding a way to reverse it to save the day. If you take out the technobabble it's still a good episode, whereas if you take the technobabble out of a lot of Voyager episodes there's almost no real tension.

Voyager just plain suffered from having a mediocre bullpen and no one competent and as head writer. There was potential, but it was all squandered.

What the fuck are you even saying?

Yeah, this. There's a right way to use technobabble and a wrong way.

Personally, I've learned to accept it as just part of the entry cost for being really into Star Trek, to be honest.

They're referencing an old (in internet terms) joke that was particularly popular on Veeky Forums.

We all generally do, but it's one of the fairest criticisms of Trek, regardless.

If a non-Trek fan walked into one of the many conversations my friends and I have regarding Trek, they'd probably come away with the assumption that I hate it.

But nothing can be further from the truth. I love Trek, and I'm hard on it because I want it to live up to the best parts of the franchise as often as possible.

>And the fuck is with pointing different colored lights at wiring do? Live every time someone is working on a piece of equipment they just point a light at it. They use the stuff like it's all a sonic screwdriver but the sonic screwdriver has a telepathic interface, so how in the fuck can the "hyper spanner" seem to fix everything just by blinking a light.
This boils down to "practical effects are hard, lights are easy" which is where the Federation's absurd expertise in energy manipulation comes from.

>Armada III borg are made to be a boss race that multiple players team up against. They are BROKEN as FUCK.
So, basically regular Borg before Voyager?

If a player selects the Borg they get a huge debuff to make them fair for for competitive multiplayer.

Please tell me it's called Future Janeway's Bitchin' Downgrade?

Pretty sure it's just Gul's safeguard against tryhards

Yeah, that's the idea. Fighting a borg cube is an ordeal. No matter how powerful your fleet is, you're going to bleed ships until it goes down. You'll lose even more if it has an assimilation beam.

Yeah, but they're a playable race. Cubes cost, what, twice as much as another race's battleship, but it'll take 4 or 5 of them in a straight fight.

So I was rewatching DS9 and I got to Ezri's argument for the Klingon Empire to die. And that got me thinking, the best outcome for the Klingon people, as a society, is extinction.

I don't mean this in the ham-fisted, protectionist way we get pretty frequently in these threads. I mean that, as a society, the Klingons are not only obsessed with death, but live their lives in veneration of it.

Their traditions are are paramount to their culture, at the cost of any sort of progress or reform. Most of those traditions are an invitation to die or to kill.

Even in attempting to break this continual of corruption usurping corruption, Worf reinforces the concept that all Klingon society is built around death. Achieving a good death, an honourable death.

Their religion upholds it, their laws uphold it. Their arts and zeitgeist uphold it. There is no dissenting voice against it.

Their state is stagnant in every way imaginable. Their people place more emphasis on death than life and every attempt to reform their system is met with overwhelming hostility. There is nothing more to be gained from living for them. For the Klingon society, all that is left is to seek a good death.

Only once that is achieved, could any new society hope to rise from the ashes.

This is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the monoculture that the Klingons have been shown to have (with a few exceptions, like the old lawyer on Rura Penthe in ENT). The dominant Imperial culture is focused on four things, victory, honor, glory, and death.

Victory, through any means necessary.
Honor, or rather, the appearance thereof. Worf and Martok are the exception, rather than the rule and even Martok thinks Worf is crazy.
Glory, personal, or for the Empire. Either way, it requires victory, which generally means killing someone.
Death, either that of your enemy, in the pursuit of victory and glory, or your own (and if you can't have victory, make it a glorious death).

And this is bad for them as a society. The only way to achieve anything is through martial conquest and political skullduggery. Just asking the Federation for help when the Empire needed it took a visionary martyr.

I don't think that the Klingons have an emphasis on death so much as they have a stark black and white viewpoint. There is only victory, or glorious death. And that's not a fertile philosophy for finding common ground with others, or for finding new ways of doing things.

If you aren't charging into the teeth of the enemy with a bat'leth in one hand, and a disruptor pistol in the other, you're doing it wrong, or you're cloaked and will make up a better story than what actually happened (and if anyone challenges that story, you'll send them to Sto-vo-kor.

If there's one decent thing Enterprise did that wasn't Combs-related, it was try to show that the Klingon culture was dominated by a warrior caste that doesn't necessarily reflect the values of the majority of Klingons. Essentially, they're memeing themselves crazy. It's more accurate to say that an honorable life is one that serves and betters the Empire. Of course for the warrior caste that would mean being willing to die in service of the Empire, so the warrior caste venerated those who died in glorious battle, and the attitude probably ended up warping Klingon mythology like how modern day beliefs warp mythological and historical views in real life.

I'd be interested to see what point in their history created this inescapable, multi-century spanning obsession with death and combat in general.

The Klingons speak in fairly loose terms about their past. Besides some allusions to an alien race having been involved in their formative past, much of the historical period before the space faring Klingon Empire is treated like a separate mythology.

That leads me to believe that there has been a conscious attempt to disassociate a series of key events in Klingon history with reality.

Yep.

I'm betting it goes all the way back to Kahless. The Hur'q then didn't help things by later stealing the Sword of Kahless.

But, somewhere around 1,500-1,000 years before the show is when myth and history begin to become disassociated. (1,000 years for the theft of the Sword of Kahless, and 1,500 for the alleged time in which Kahless lived).

>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kahless_the_Unforgettable
>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Hur'q

>tfw you realize the Borg announcer is the voice of every drone on the ship speaking in unison

>That leads me to believe that there has been a conscious attempt to disassociate a series of key events in Klingon history with reality.
I'm of the opinion that the Klingons we see in TOS are a new breed attempting to lead their people out of the darkness of stagnation, with Warrior Brown and Chancellor Ra's Al Ghul as attempts to bridge the gap with the wider Empire. It also lines up with Kang, Koloth and Kor ending up as basically has beens by the time of TNG and DS9. Nobody knows who they are, or cares. Praxis proceeds to completely fuck over their attempts, dooming the Klingons to cultural stagnation and mythic veneration. Why the fuck does so much of my stuff come back to Praxis?

It's a classic stratified aristocracy, is what it is. The Empire is ruled by an entrenched elite of Great Houses, who keep power largely through social conventions of tradition and honor. Consider how ritualistic combat is among members of noble houses. Duras, one of the most powerful men in the Empire in the TNG era, isn't even that great a fighter; he gets his ass kicked by a pariah who spent his life among humans.

I'd suggest that none of the Klingons on the High Council got there because of martial skill. I'd expect every single one of them is a patronage appointment - consider how easily Kurn gets a seat on the Council after he backs Gowron in the civil war, and how readily Gowron strips the House of Mogh of land and title when Worf defies him. I'd also expect this trend to be reflected in all the high-level institutions of the Empire.

>Excelsior and a Miranda

It's never going to not bug me that they're still using Mirandas of all things to fight in the Dominion war, but they've retired all the refit heavy cruiser Constitutions for no real reason

i mean if you can keep an Oberth not just spaceworthy but actually participating in fleet tender actions and possibly combat a hundred years on... you really have to wonder what the fuck was wrong with the Constitutions

There was a wreck of a Constitution at the battle of Wolf 359.

>be Kazon
>you're so shitty that the Borg doesn't want to assimilate you, even though you were one of the first races they found out about

The Constitutions were already getting swept under the carpet as early as Wrath of Khan. The original Ent ended up being an Academy training ship, and the Ent-A was given two diplomatic missions before being decommissioned. Chances are all the Constitutions were long-since confined to memories and museums, gradually replaced by Mirandas, Excelsiors and Oberths.

Macrocosm, Flashback, Timeless, Living Witness, Latent Image, Counterpoint, Deadlock

and not forgetting Equinox, wherein Janeway is forced to face another captain and openly admits that the only thing really distinguishing them in conduct is that Janeway's ship was larger and she took fewer losses because of the Maquis crew she acquired

if you've ever complained about how Janeway is inconsistent and frequently breaks the PD in spirit if not always in strict terms (even going so far as to casually trade her tech away to species that look y'know kinda developed in later seasons), Equinox is very cathartic

Ransom isn't wrong, Janeway isn't right; Ransom got caught out doing something he strictly speaking shouldn't have, and they both know it

it's Kirk as shit when she says "he's still a Starfleet captain" right at the end, and that's to me what Voyager did well: inconsistent, crazy, unbelievable stories right in the vein of TOS

They're good ships, but in Alpha canon their deep space exploration role means they get destroyed more in proportion to their class total. In FASA, incidentally, the Constitution, then the Enterprise classes serve as the backbone of the fleet until around the 2290s when the Excelsior nearly totally replaces it by dint of the Feds being able to build 2 and a half Excelsiors per Enterprise. And the Excelsior isn't replaced in FASA until the Galaxy comes online. Plus TNG destroyers in FASA are on par with the later Enterprise class marks, which could outfight 5-6 D-7s at once.

But why? They're the same vintage as the Miranda - the Reliant was even mentioned by number on-screen in TOS.

I know it's a ship recognition thing and when TNG started they were still making TOS movies and didn't want to confuse the issue but also didn't have a whole lot of money for an entirely new fleet, but...

I just wish they'd addressed it at some point. "The Saratoga? Well, Commander Sisko, it's not really surprising your wife and presumably most of your friends died horribly in front of you, those Mirandas were always underpowered compared to modern starships... still, at least they didn't just blow up fifty years after first flight like the Constitutions. Poor captain Uhura, the moment she got her command she was destroyed in a warp core breach and never lived to see her old captain, chief engineer, chief medical officer and science officer become weirdly important to us here, eighty years later."

Because Roddenberry wanted a clear break between TOS and TNG. With how insane Kirk's adventures are, the man should have been mentioned over and over throughout the show, but Roddenberry very clearly stated that basically nothing could be referenced in the TNG setting. He then proceeded to create Trelane in the Q, because he's lazy.

Roddenberry was also the cause of most of the things that were wrong with TNG. He never even wanted to do Next Gen, but he panicked when he heard Paramount was going ahead without him.

Reminder that he was known to rewrite scripts in the first two seasons to shoehorn in fanservice. He vehemently opposed anything that resembled serialization, for instance he apparently hated the script for Family. He also did everything he could to shoot down the casting of Patrick Steward for Picard.

Reminder also that Wes Crusher was a self-insert for Gene. Wesley was Roddenbery's middle name. When Crusher got his field commission near the end of S3, Roddenberry held a ceremony where he gave Wil Wheaton his Air Force 2LT bars.

>They're the same vintage as the Miranda

Except there's nothing indicating that the Miranda wasn't brand new, and a lot of soft-canon indicating the Enterprise was already not exactly new by that point and clearly a design that was supposed to do everything, which is really hard to do and balance.

If you look at how ships used to work, classes lasting more than a couple of major refits before they're clearly outdated is pretty uncommon. The Miranda is a bit of an anomaly in it's longevity but not in a way that can't easily be made to fit. It was built to different standards than the Constitutions, with a clear generational shift that the Constitutions required extensive refits to get into.

The Enterprise as one of the few surviving Constitutions was relegated to a training vessel and going to be decommissioned rather than repaired after 2285. By that point she was somewhere around 30-35 years old and the major refit 15 years past (TMP was in 2271, pretty much just after TOS's 3 years and TAS filling out the remaining 2 years of the 5 year mission and a year for overhaul then instead of ignoring the actors ageing like in TMP, Wrath of Khan simply made age a core theme and brought the date up to fit).

It's more logical that the Miranda was simply amongst the first of the generation seen in the original movies, built to new standards with an easily modified hull, coupled with a less demanding mission profile than the Constitutions. With the old ships on the way out due to the new stuff being much better they'll have built a lot of them. Following that it just stuck around getting shunted into ever less frontline roles in an increasingly quiet Federation throughout the early 2300s (leading to the pinnacle of extended peacetime ship design stupidity that was the Galaxy class), until a massive amount had to be pulled out of mothballs in the 2370s.

tl;dr: Mirandas were brand new when the Constitution was already old.
/autism

>I'd be interested to see what point in their history created this inescapable, multi-century spanning obsession with death and combat in general.
Probably evolution. They have thick, heavy bones, high muscle mass, multiple redundant organs, etc. They prefer to eat live animals and raw meat. They are literally made for fighting (though apparently none of their major predators or prey in their evolution had tusks or the like, because Klingons die very readily to a poke in the gut - which is probably part of why they prefer the weapons they do). They have a more aggressive disposition than many other civilized humanoids. Hell, Worf killed a kid on accident playing footie.
>It also lines up with Kang, Koloth and Kor ending up as basically has beens by the time of TNG and DS9. Nobody knows who they are, or cares.
Of course they are past their prime - they are old, even by Klingon standards. They've had a long time to live down their high points, if they were even particularly notable in the first place. But at the very least Kor is a major hero, and only lost status because he got senile and made mistakes at the very end (including getting on Gowron's bad side). He was even able to get his crew's loyalty against Martok, which meant that the young folks knew of him too.
>Duras, one of the most powerful men in the Empire in the TNG era, isn't even that great a fighter; he gets his ass kicked by a pariah who spent his life among humans.
That "pariah" happened to be one of the best fighters of his age. Though Duras himself didn't seem to be that great of a warrior - in a land of drunk idiots, being a shrewd schemer can get you pretty far - he was no slouch either; with all his enemies, he wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as he did without being able to defend himself.

>I'd suggest that none of the Klingons on the High Council got there because of martial skill. I'd expect every single one of them is a patronage appointment - consider how easily Kurn gets a seat on the Council after he backs Gowron in the civil war, and how readily Gowron strips the House of Mogh of land and title when Worf defies him.
It looks like the "high council" is mostly Klingon richfags - the fact that Mogh had a lot of lands, etc. to take, and that this was a part of the punishment for dishonor, suggests this. It seems the High Council functions a lot like the Roman Empire did - senators were the richfags, and being a senator gave one position to get even richer. But the Emperor could screw you over if he didn't like you - not directly, but if he could find an excuse (which often were matters of honor), then it would be over. The Chancellor seems to have a sort of cultural-religious authority as well as civil and military, as Gowron could just up and declare, in a moment, whether one was acting honorably or dishonorably, which has dire religious significance. (Though discommendation seems to be something that actually requires the whole High Council.)

Not that it's definitive, but the Reliant's call number is on the board of ships undergoing repairs in the TOS episode Court Martial. I'm not for a minute suggesting that it was planned this way - it may have just been that someone took note of those numbers, and stenciled it on the Reliant's model.

There were also Constitution class starships present at Wolf 359, if the debris can be believed.

As for the Galaxy? We know more about it than any other ship thanks to the TNG Tech Manual. The dumbest thing is the civilians aboard. That a large proportion of them were destroyed or damaged by the Dominion isn't necessarily a mark against the class, since Galaxies would be high value targets (taking out such a powerful starship and its sizable crew would be a very difficult loss for the Federation to mitigate).

As much as we might like to come up with in-universe explanations for why we don't see any working Connies in TNG, it's most likely that it was for out of universe reasons. Namely, it was too recognizably the ship from the original show.

I don't know how accurate this is (I haven't exactly studied the Wolf 359 effects shots in depth), but I'll throw it up just for the sake of discussion.

Also, Reliant's MA page:

>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Reliant

Presumably, a lot of these were kitbashes. I doubt we'll ever get a definitive answer from CBS or Paramount about the age of the Miranda. So, really, it could be any of the possible conjectures. The truth is, I don't know, you don't know, and it's doubtful anyone working on Trek cares.

I had an idea for an episode where Worf goes to So-Vo-Kor and rather than the endless glorious battle he expected, it's more like youtube.com/watch?v=tTuwo_TqlhQ

Turns out Kahless got bored of eternal conflict, so it's a place where Klingons can pursue the passions that would have gotten them called dishonourable in life.

It irks me that, despite being the ugliest Fed ship in the Kelvin Timeline, STO is only putting the Kelvin-Connie out there

>ugliest Fed ship in the Kelvin Timeline

You're forgetting the Franklin

The Franklin isn't unique to the Kelvin timeline. NX class was built before the timelines diverged.

The Franklin isn't the same class as the Enterprise. She's a precursor. But I take your meaning

>that episode of TNG when Scotty comes back and it finally hits him on how old and useless he is.