pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3134960
dnd.rem.uz/
youtu.be/r6CKbhNw2ZA
youtu.be/CTMgwssoESY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What archetype is underrated? Bonus points for why.

Monk

The entire warlock class is underrated by the morons of this general, mostly because they don't know how to play around enemies making saves.

Great Old One

Fuck your bonus points

How should GMs allow players to map dungeon progress? Asking them to draw it based on your descriptions seems a little clunky.

??

I'm assuming you're playing in real life and not over roll20? The GM should be the one drawing the dungeon before the session starts and you should cover up the unexplored parts with paper.

We use a whiteboard and I draw a map for the players of everything they can see. Tried to do the theater of the mind thing when we started but since we all are new it was too confusing for everybody.
But since I only draw a room or two at the same time it's up to them to keep track of the full layout.

>this is what 5e babies think dungeon exploration should be like

time for your trip to /osrg/ my dude

When I DM I have a map for my reference, and one of the player's sketches out a diagram for the party's use. It is working pretty well so far, minus a couple of geometry hiccups involving ramps and curving hallways.

Yeah, I'm playing in real life. I use maps myself, but revealing entire rooms that are larger than the players field of vision seems a bit cheesy.

Seems like it would slow down the game.

So, for Teleportation circle it costs 50 gp to cast once. Cast it at the same place once every day for a full year and you have a new permanent teleportation Circle.

A new teleportation circle costs 18250 GP and a year of parking at least a level 9 caster on the spot. Is that correct?

Related to mapping the dungeon for players: is it legal to go to a copy store, like Staples, and have them print out maps from published adventurers I've purchased?

Like, I'm running Yawning Portal for Adventurer's League, own the book, and I wanted to print up the bottom floor of Sunless Citadel using the .pdf in the 5E treasure Trove, for example.

>Seems like it would slow down the game
Well, not literally everything. Mostly just combat situations and dungeon layouts.

Eldritch Knight. Forget cantrips and evocation. In fact, forget intelligence. It's all about those hot defensive spells paired with that sweet fighter chassis.

Right off the bat you've got Mage Armor and Shield. Then at 8th level you can grab Mirror Image and become a bitch to kill. Then at 14th you can grab Blink and become untouchable.

The real kicker is that you can cast Mirror Image and Blink on the same turn if you really need to with Action Surge.

Yes, that is perfectly legal.

Unless you start selling those new maps for a profit. Then you start to run afoul of IP laws.

What do thinks going to happen? Are the police going to arrest you for making photo copies?

If you're using official DnD maps don't make the mistkae of ever showing them to your players. I really fucked up by doing this. I was playing on roll20 for reference.

Every time they explored a room it was like "Gee user, how come that one area is still black? There's probably a hidden door behind there right?"
And sure enough there was. I was naive of me to jus straight up copy the map but I wasn't thinking that after ahead.

I pump images to a stripped down flat screen TV on a table. The players put their minis on it and "walk" around while I use erase to get rid of the fog of war layer.

>mage armor
kek
Absorb Elements is the real deal

Uhh looks like they have the same consensus my dude

Thank you, my old DM for Adventurer's League would do it all the time. 3'x4' Architectural Prints cost ~$13, party doesn't have to wait while you erase/draw sections of map, it's great.

No, I think the girl running the copy center at Staples lied to me when she told me she couldn't print that without a letter of consent from the book's publisher.

>designed some classes to do nothing outside of combat.
Every class has at least 4 skill proficiencies, as well as some extra languages and/or tool proficiencies. Additionally, a great percentage of all ability checks can be managed by just having a high ability score. Finally, even if you aren't the best one at doing something, you might be able to help someone else complete that task.

Just because I hear the complaint often doesn't mean I have to give the complaint sufficient credibility to warrant changing the system. I'd love a Planescape book too, but believing in something doesn't make it so in this world.

Thinking of joining a 3.5 game of dnd

I'm prettt new even though I've been DMing for a few months for my own group in 5e

Anyone know where any mega stashes are for it?

>Mirror Image and Blink
God, what a waste on a heavily armored tank.

It's the best armor if you're running dex, which isn't a bad idea since dex helps you get the most mileage out of Mirror Image. Plus it lasts 8 hours so you basically only need to cast it once per day.

I did forget about Absorb Elements though. I always forget that Elemental Evil exists.

People who work at copy centers have been ordered by their bosses to cover the corporate ass at all costs.
If it even vaguely looks copyrighted, they're not to print it.

I don't understand how to make PDFs on naturalcrit.

Not mega, but ALL books:
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3134960

Someone linked this yesterday dnd.rem.uz/

>it's the best armor if you're running dex
are you mentally ill?

It gives you 18 AC if you have 20 dex. Studded Armor gives you 17 AC at 20 dex.

It costs a spell slot, sure, but if you think about it as +1 AC (as compared to just wearing Studded) for 8 hours no concentration, it doesn't seem all that bad.

But you're a fighter.
You're proficient in fucking plate. Which is 18 AC no strings attached. Costing zero spell slots, immune to dispels and AMF.

And mage armor chumps to a +1 studded or +1 halfplate.

What if I'm playing a ranged fighter?

Looking for some feedback on this ability for a paladin. Does it seem balancedand fun?

>Channel Divinity: Heroic Rescue
If an enemy creature within 30 feet of you reduces an ally to 0 HP, you can use your reaction to move to an adjacent space to that enemy and make a single melee attack against it. Your ally immediately regains a number of hit points equal to your Charisma modifier plus 1d8 for each attack of opportunity you were targeted by during this reaction.

>You're proficient in fucking plate

I thought we were talking about dex?

>And mage armor chumps to a +1 studded or +1 halfplate

True. Obviously you'd stop using mage armor if you got one of those. Key word "if" since one might have a DM who's stingy about magic items.

I think it looks good. Seems a little niche, but it could be useful if people are going down a lot.

Pretty much

sounds right

What's the best Livestream/Broadcast?

Acquisitions Inc.
Critical Role
Dice Camera Action
Harmonquest
Force Grey
Acquisitions Inc C Team

Then you probably don't need to devote that many spells known, spell slots, and actions to proactive defenses. You aren't a wizard.

It just seems a little bit odd that the chalk/ink in the components needs to be spent every single day. You'd think that if had a room set aside you could keep the circle tidy and keep from reapplying the calk EVERY day.

Not quite the question you asked but its similar. Im a big fan of adventure zone

I want to play a LE Oath of the Crown paladin. I feel like swearing fealty to a nation/monarch instead of a god, but I don't know what country would fit best. I'm playing Curse of Strahd, so I feel like it should be something not home brewed. If we started in Ravenloft it'd be easy to just pick one of the nations there, but according to the DM we don't. He hasn't given me much info beyond that.

It's about infusing the chalk and ink with the magic, just like painting a wall in your house you don't stop at the first coat normally you need one or two more.

That's how I rationalize it, the items get "used" and saturated with magic to where they can't hold more and it leads to wasting energy trying to infuse more into them.

Swear fealty to Strahd.

I'm planning on running an old school , wilderness survival, hexcrawl in 5E. Players will be from a traditional fantasy world but exploring a new world , so I want to avoid any traditional fantasy tropes. No goblins , kobolds , orcs, dwarves etc.

Any tips ?

Safe permanent teleportation ain't cheap, son.

Niche, huh? Since it's supposed to expend a use of Channel Divinity (though the paladin will gain an extra use per rest), maybe it should heal more? Maybe 2d6 per AoO?

>Players will be from a traditional fantasy world but exploring a new world , so I want to avoid any traditional fantasy tropes. No goblins , kobolds , orcs, dwarves etc.

So what are you putting in it then?

What's the best way to do an encounter where 2 level 6 PCs and around 6 NPCs have to defend a small house from a hoarde of zombies until they can get a magical teleporter up and running?

Populate it with a shit ton of wild animals that are intelligent.

That and diseases, low supplies, hostile natives, malnutrition, and weather.

Those and keeping their gear in check would fuck them over. I made my PCs take an entire day where they clean their carts/wagons, bags, vials, etc and maintain their weapon ever since they decided to cross a desert and encountered a salt flat.

Exactly like CoD does it with waves increasing in size

Check this out Not even that OP.

Sounds close to a book I read called The Warded Man

We don't start in Barovia and can't be from Ravenloft at all. I also don't feel like betraying the party.

I was already planning that, but the question is there a way to do it without it being clunky or having the PCs just constantly attacking?

I have some ideas like having them constantly fixing barricades or eventually the swarm getting into the house and having them fall back to the basement, attic, etc. I might just make them try to hold a manor instead now.

I'll take a look, thanks.

>Is LE
>Doesn't have a plan to betray the party if it benefits himself

You're doing it wrong m8

I once though of trying a game in a world with quite literal "points of light" theme. The world would be shrouded in eternal darkness and only truly safe places are the cities and towns in which lights are being constantly kept lit.
You let the light go out, you die.

Well that really depends on the makeup of the party

>You need to be evil in order to mutiny

I want to like Warlock, i looks super interesting and I have tons of concepts for it, but in every game I had been 0-1 short rest is what you get.

Same happens to monk.

A skilled individual uses his tools to the fullest, and only discards them when they are no longer of use or have broken.

So far a rogue, wizard, and their NPC waifus, an artificer and a fighter.

They're also gonna have an Inquisitor and his lackies to help them.

>Implying

No you don't need to be evil to do so, but lawful evil is always ready to take the better deal unless bound by an absolute contract.

My ideas are pretty loose at the moment.

I want to include a homebrew race called the tendu I stole from a sci fi book called the colour of magic. Essentially an amphibian reptile race that live in the treetops, connected to nature , that communicate through colours and symbols on their skin and have an ability to heal one another through connecting stubs on their arms. They also use this to bio transfer with one another and connect on a higher level.

I was also thinking to use myconoids , thri kreen, dinosaurs , kenku, elementals , koa Toa, quaggoths, basilisk, manticores , aboleths , giant insects, shambling mounds all the weird and wonderful stuff basically

I'd also like to use dragons too because it's in the name and beholders as they're cool.

Like RE4's cabin fight? Only bigger to give room for all the PCs?

So you start outside defending a bridge or other narrow pass until the horde finds a way around it, then you fall back to the building trying to keep them out of the many holes in your defenses, hold them a bit at the stairs until they can get up the walls to the second floor windows, finally holding a desperate defense until the teleportation is completed. You can go for a third floor with an attic or roof access too. A desperate battle on a stormy rooftop is a nice setpiece.

>Telling people how to play different alignments

You are making Gygax's ghost very happy.

Need some tips on city building / narrating

Secondly, I'll likely be giving my players are manor or castle, does anyone have a roll20 map for one?

Your action are meaningless. In the end, you rolled poorly and everything as you know it ends. Let hope the ripples you made return to complete what you started.

Not exactly a manor, but it might work.

I enjoy Critical Role and Adventure Zone.

Thanks, though I was thinking maybe the last stand area be a laboratory or somewhere sinister.

Of course, I might just keep pulling from Nazi Zombies and include some aberrations and shit as well leading the zombies.

Once a better deal that far out weighs the benefits of keep around said tools comes up then betraying the party should be done. From what's been presented he doesn't want to betray the party.

I do what I can someone has to be the jack ass that tells people they have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

More often than not people get their panties in a twist and make something better to prove you wrong.

Adventure Zone is good for the narrative and the characters.

If you want actual play, look elsewhere.

Also, be sure to hide your powerlevel for a couple of the characters/arcs.

The later episode's music is pretty dang good. I grab it from soundcloud.

I'm a sucker for Tabletop Escapades. It's incredibly loosey-goosey and honestly, obviously sub-par, but at the same time they have this one player who comes off with the most bizarre shit and it gets me every fucking time.

>Dragonborn says to this player
>"you'll need 10,000 gold for me to revive your friend"
>Player immediately responds
>"Dragonborn. Wanna wrestle for 10,000 gold?"

D&D equivalent of "it's great if you turn your brain off".

It's better if there's some intelligence to the horde, yes. An evil lab is okay too, as long as it has a giant tesla coil or a lightning rod that connects to the roof somewhere.

I think you probably want to go for no more than two minutes of actual fighting, preferably closer to one minute, so you could set up something to break up the fight. I'm thinking a grand staircase that leads to the upper floors that can be destroyed to buy time. If you want to do it in three parts, you could have some defense that can be activated around the lab for part three. You must have guessed by now that I would recommend some kind of electrified barrier the zombies can throw themselves against to drain and burn out.

Funny I see CR as the same except it's mostly narrative and only two characters, Grog because of how dedicated Travis is to RPing him and Scanlen near the end.

How come there not much martial art move and stance that martial class can preform?

I gave my players a generic flying fortress, pic very much related. It's in pretty bad shape though and meant for giants so they still need tons of gold for renovations.

All of those kinda suck in terms of seeing real play.

They're mostly funny men/trained actors pretending to play D&D . Critical Role being particularly guilty of this. Harmonquest at least admittedly so.

Liveplay videos from Web DM are good at showcasing a well put together 5E game.

youtu.be/r6CKbhNw2ZA

The AD&D 2nd edition games from woodwwoad's channel have great roleplay and old school gameplay.

youtu.be/CTMgwssoESY

Guys, i was thinking about doing an adventure like this:

Low level party is out on the wilderness and finds in a basin the aftermath of a bloody skirmish after a trading deal got totally wrong.

They find small chest with a valuable treasure and go away with it.

Meanwhile, a dark oath paladin is pursuing the party because he's tasked by some unnamed character to get back the treasure.

Basically i want to do D&D no country for old men.

i'm open to advice/suggestions

It's also Curse of Strahd. You win when Strahd is defeated. Betraying the party that aims to defeat Strahd seems counterintuitive. I could always betray them after but the campaign's over by then. Not to mention my oath to the crown means my country's desires outweigh my own.

If you're using DEX then Medium Armour is better until you have +5 DEX.

I suppose that could work, though I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but do you think including zombie ogres, trolls, etc would make them shit themselves?

What kinda build would you do for a Dragon-hunter Ranger? Not just favoured enemy, but a ranger who's pretty specifically setting out to slay dragons. Things like spells, what archetype would work best, hell I'd even multiclass although something like a Paladin would be hard to justify as it's less a "I hate dragons" sorta thing but a "I love killing dragons" thing.

At the top of my head, I feel like Absorb Elements and Ensnaring Strike might be a good idea, I'm thinking maybe multiclassing into Druid to get Earthbind.

Running sunless citadel. Possible spoilers?
Players entered the room with the white dragon (without the kobold with them). White dragon told them he wasn't going back to being a pet.
That's when it dawned on the players that dragons are intelligent and probably don't want to be a pet and that they weren't actually saving the dragon.
They left the door open and let the dragon escape down the hall. A few goblins heard the commotion and went after it, but also spotted the PCs.

It really doesn't have much in the way of escape options, so I'm thinking I'll have some goblins die off if they go to investigate its path and then find it back in the possession of the Kobolds, but with several kobolds dead. Seem like a reasonable outcome? Other possible outcome is that the dragon makes it out alive.

Use Downtime mechanics for things to spend the gold on.

You need some reasons for the players to go places, unless you are ditching any dungeons whatsoever.

I guess it just depends on how often you have people dropping to 0 hit points in your encounters.

Obviously there's very likely one guaranteed AoO, but getting more than that is a little difficult. Plus, he risks a lot of damage, so the reward needs to equal out.

What level is the paladin? You could always scale it up as he levels.

>pretending to play D&D
See, I see this accusation a lot and I really doubt it. A fully scripted show wouldn't have so many mechanical fuck-ups. Hell, the whole of Tiberius kind of proves it's not all scripted.

Players definitely talk to each-other and to Matt about scenes they'd like to see, but I don't consider that "scripted". I do that, it helps me write things for sessions. It's also just prudent when it comes to romance stuff.

>mostly because they don't know how to play around enemies making saves.

Why don't you explain it then?
It's hard to encourage someone to play a warlock when they blow their load after a couple slots and the part isn't usually able/willing to take many short rests, especially if enemies make their saves.
Often pidgeonholes the entire class into being EB turrets or picking spells that don't require saves.

The dragon could flee deeper into the dungeon.

A good way to drive the PCs down there.

Horizon Walker, gets protection from energy, Ethereal Step is an awesome ambush or defensive option, the Teleport when you shoot your bow is something that will come in handy to avoid their melee attacks and 1/2 damage is great against Dragon breath.

The fluff doesn't really match but fluff's the easiest to edit part of the game.

Well, let me plan some more. First of all, RE4 is 2 people in a cabin, Nazi Zombies is 4 soldiers in a complex. Your 12 PC/NPC are 3-6 times as much manpower, but significantly less firepower. So you'll need the encounter to cover more space, but you might do with about the same amount of meat.

Bigger zombies work as siege units that can break through their defenses, or stand-ins for the more dangerous types of monsters like the various head-bursting parasites. It's worth including some that can throw rudimentary ranged attacks.

Only give your players some break time if there's something to do with that time, like build up cover, prepare traps, drink potions, tend to injuries, gather more ammunition, and maybe give them the benefit of a short rest.

It would be awesome to give them a "chainsaw" moment, where they think they're safe and the horde brings up a new tactic to get past it. Maybe the ogres and trolls start throwing smaller zombies up to the second floor.

If possible, give them a timetable to keep track of how they're doing. How long does the ritual need? How close are they? What does failure look like for the party? In any case, if they can gather a horde of undead into a mansion, set the whole thing on fire and teleport out, that looks like a win.

>Not betraying he party to Strahd and using the opportunity to shank him when he doesn't expect it, thus killing two birds with one stone
>Not becoming an oath breaker instead and returning to conquer your former home at the head of an undead army installing yourself as king

Laughingdevils.png

It's not fully scripted. They're improv actors making shit up as they go along. D&D is the medium they do it through because it's become popular at the moment but the rules , mechanics etc are virtually meaningless. While this isn't 'wrong' per say it's a really bad representation of how D&D actually plays out when the players aren't professional improv actors and the DM actually plans a game according to the rules and materials in the books.

Also see lulz meme picture here for how people get the wrong idea of how RPG's actually play.

Enchantment Wizards are underrated, despite being one of the best archetypes, as well as being fun to play. Hypnotic Gaze is basically a shitty Hold Monster at level 2, Instinctive Charm is very nice to keep yourself alive and potentially do some extra damage using powerful enemies against themselves, and Split Enchantment is really good for preserving spell slots and minor crowd control. Gets shit on by undead and fiends, tho.

Critical Role's campaign started years before they started the streaming. Everyone involved was a noobie, hence the loose rules that were established.

What is this 4e?

My nigga. I don't think I've seen a single other person who thinks Enchantment is as good as it is.

Worth noting that Hypnotic Gaze works while you concentrate on another spell to get twice as much control happening. I'm thinking of asking my DM to let me change my War Magic Wizard to an Enchanter soon.

Holy shit, that comic's one of the most atrocious things I've seen

I'm glad we agree they don't follow the rules. Again while there is nothing wrong with this, people can play however they want, it would be like watching a stream of chess players to learn how to play chess only to realise they're actually playing checkers.

>insult
>dramatic speech
This is annoying me more than it should.

Didn't they start with 4th ed, then Pathfinder then went to 5th ed for this campaign? I wouldn't be surprised if Matt loosened the rules that much considering they changed editions/games for one campaign. And you can tell it's not scripted since the campaign's fizzle just kinda died after they beat the dragons. It's as if Matt has no clue how to wrap out half a decade of campaign. I mean, you can't really top fighting five ancient dragons.