/osrg/ OSR General

>Your friend took a bag of gold off an altar and a trapdoor spider grabbed him and pulled him into its tunnel.
>You grabbed his arms, held him up, looked him in the eye as you took the bag out of his hands and let go.
An hour of average osr adventuring and you're too fucked up to ever go back to normal life or do normal things.
>You can make more gold in a day than your brother will make in his entire life, and the things you do to get it.
>How can you ever think of money the way he does?
>Does it mean nothing to you, or are you the only one who knows what it's really worth?
t. No.52606419

Trove (etc.): pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
Looking For Group: discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-browser tools: pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

Prior: >Discussion:
Tigris&Euphrates, or Nile, or Yellow, or Yangtze?

Other urls found in this thread:

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-glog.html
youtube.com/watch?v=kmB4DfG-3K4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Posting my personal notes and cheat sheets incase anyone else wants to borrow. Contains a couple pages for generic wilderness travel and some combat stuff from LL.

Just made a couple quick edits for clarity and reposting...

I run games using the most modern rules-light stuff out there (e.g. players make up their skill lists) and I've found old monster manuals, random encounter tables, and dungeon designs to be incredibly useful. Thanks for keeping this stuff alive, OSR community.

>>Your friend took a bag of gold off an altar and a trapdoor spider grabbed him and pulled him into its tunnel.
>>You grabbed his arms, held him up, looked him in the eye as you took the bag out of his hands and let go.

And then you got kicked by the rest of the party because no one would ever trust you again.
You'd have to be a complete retard to continue dungeon crawling with a dude that has proven that will literally leave you to your death.

Right. And you don't play with the bugger who always passes the ref notes about nicking treasure while they're scouting ahead.

Like what rules?

You have no idea how happy that makes me, as someone who writes up shit for this scene every so often.

Like, 7 people from osrg said they frequent my blog in that last strawpoll we did, and it really makes me all warm and cheery inside.

It's all done with love, my man.

It's a few generations of homebrew rules that eventually started as Risus.

I stopped running games because of problems that I recently learned are solved by the West Marches set up. If my new campaign goes well I'll bother to publish somewhere.

The 'friend' might be a hireling.

Now i want to hear more

>tossing your hirelings' lives away without even trying
Time for some negative modifiers on those morale checks.

Skip to the skills section in the attached for the Risus-based stuff.

This is a few years old now. I later realized that classes could be optional and you could spend levels on items or plot events instead. I'm currently prototyping a completely different combat system.

I'd like to stress that these rules really aren't OSR.

Haha, disregard that. I re-read my old stuff and realized I can explain this so much better now.

A skill can be almost anything. You're not allowed to use skills directly for combat or magic. A skill can be a profession, cliche, actual skill name, description of a useful character trait, whatever. Gem appraisal, catburglary, viking, and fast talker are all valid skills.

You have a certain number of dice that go with a skill. At 1-dice, it's a joke that you think you can do this thing. Two is in-training. Three is the normal amount of skill that a fully trained person has, whatever amount of training is appropriate for this sort of thing. Higher than that is various stages of mastery, getting to the point where you can lean on that skill for things it's not normally considered appropriate for.

To do a skill roll you describe how that skill applies for the thing you're attempting to accomplish. The GM assigns a difficulty based on how difficult that thing is for a person using that skill. Trying to use sewing to make armor is harder than doing that with blacksmithing. The one special rule the GM needs to keep in mind here is that an overly specific skill is always at least as good as the generic version. "Lion tamer" should be treated like "animal tamer" unless the animals are lion-like (or actually lions).

Whoops, last bit: then you roll Xd6 keep highest 3, where X is your skill number.

so last thread I mentioned I was bidding on a lot of AD&D books, that ended up falling through due to being outbid past the point I was comfortable paying for, so my current plan is to just print up a bunch of AD&D stuff through Lulu for my own use, so now I ask /osrg/ if there's anything important I should keep in mind when doing this sort of thing?

>if there's anything important I should keep in mind when doing this sort of thing?
Don't print the whole book, just print shit you're going to need to reference a bunch. Copy/paste or rewrite shit into an easy-to-reference form, and print that.

I'm doing this less to run them and more to just have a version of the AD&D books to own, since obtaining the actual thing at a cost I can actually afford has become a pipe dream for the moment

That would be metagaming and overall bad form, because the characters aren't aware that is is the same player. My advice is not to play with vengeful manchildren jerks who cannot separate IC from OOC.

Reposting this thing that we got done last thread. Is it in the trove yet?

That's pretty nice user

Sounds a bit like burning wheel

It really bothers me that there are paragraphs spilling over to the next page. Especially the first table that is on the first page, that spills over to the next column. It's makes it much harder to read!

Carousing. Or orgies, as they were called.

Party can spend money on getting drunk, sacrifices, clan hoards, philanthropy, and spell research. At least one source adds gourmandising. That's all pretty great.

But what about training and buying really fancy clothes?

I'm not the one who made the pdf, but I guess that the 6th location can be moved down to the 3rd page. I think the whole thing would fit there. The "Featuring" section could have a smaller font size, I think it would fit into one column then.

Right now I'm working on random encounter tables for overland travel. Do you guys prefer your travel tables to mostly consist of hostile encounters with monsters, or do you like having stuff like "traveling hedge wizard" or "religious pilgrims" as social encounters mixed in with the wild hounds and orcs?

The latter. Wilderness is a dangerous place, but it's not all hostile.

Besides, who's to say you couldn't parley with the orcs?

What are some good OSR modules for beginners? looking for something playable by lvl 1 characters and easy to play and to run as a DM. Basically the OSR version of Lost mines of Phandelver.
could be from original TSR, S&W, LL, LotFP, anything.

take as an appreciation the art version of LL's AEC, because in the trove is only the non-art one.

>really fancy clothes
Hiring a personal tailor is a thing people do. Get their measurements, get your servant's measurements, go to a theatre show, get a fashion consultation, sketches, fabric imports, fittings, etc. Then get into fights with other rich people about their hat because its taller than yours.

You could probably just get a resource book on costumes from various time periods for inspiration. Maybe a table or two to combine for avant garde fashions.

The second by far.

The classic one are B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 Keep on the Borderlands. B4 The Lost City is often recommended around here. Tower of the Stargazer from LotFP is also good, although some people don't like it because it's pretty lethal. T1 The Village of Hommlet is the beginner module for AD&D players. I've sometimes heard that The Wizardium of Calibraxis for DCC is a good starter module.

Tower of the Stargazer, The Lost City (B4), Shadowbrook Manor

Good suggestions already. Just wanted to add Tomb of The Iron God for dungeon crawling. Some neat shit there.

Does anyone happen to have a pdf of the very old Judge's Guild module, Tegel Manor?

Not the shitty "revised & expanded" version put out by Gamescience in 1989 (that's the only one I can find the in the trove), but the real one from 1977?

>Tigris&Euphrates, or Nile, or Yellow, or Yangtze?
>No Indus

Yellow River a cute. A CUTE!

I think you guys are nitpicking.

t. guy who wrote 4, 5, 8

I award extra XP for fluff purchases on 2 XP per 1 GP spent basis.

The second one. Nothing but combat encounters is for boring video games.

B4 if you don't mind weirdness, Jade Hare if you want something more "normal".

I like double xp for fluff purchases. I'm totally running that from here on out

I do full xp for leisure and half xp for expenses.

I once saw this fan made AD&D 3E system. Anyone have a look at it? Any thoughts about it? Is it OSR?

It's in the trove, so presumably it counts as OSR.

How is the 1989 version so shitty compared to the old version?

If B&X user (hrrr?) is here, I'd like to draw his attention to this delightful document from the trove.

What constitutes "fluff expenses"?

Anything that isn't intended to help you survive or adventure.

Bringing a bum into the murder-pit to carry your treasure is an expense.
Bringing a bard into the murder-pit to write songs as you adventure is leisure.

That's fair. It's also a nice way to make people level up without having to give them an entire boatload of coins.

Guy rolling up a corpathium city, hows that going?

The old one has very terse room descriptions, pure gonzo/"funhouse dungeon" contents, and it's just a site adventure, no plot.

The revision (which, to begin with, is a shitty and unreadable scan if you look for it on google or the trove) has a wall of text for each room, tones down the "gonzo" flavor by replacing some of the sillier encounters with more run of the mill haunted house stuff, and adds a stupid "stop the cultists" plot.

Not that user, but that is a gorgeous document and TYVM for posting it.

How much personality do you guys usually give to Hireling NPCs?

How long do Hirelings tend to survive in your games? Any stories of particularly enduring followers, or ones who went out in particularly spectacularly ways?

I usually give them a lot of personality. They tend to be the first to die whenever anything bad goes down. The most memorable my group has had was probably a drunkard called Rug who managed to survive a bunch of shit somehow. When one of our players moved away, we decided that he would join her character on another quest, and that they would return later.

Some of us have jobs, ya know...

Going Ok. Going to need to edit and rename a few pieces. The overall city is pretty solid though.

>Like, 7 people from osrg said they frequent my blog in that last strawpoll we did, and it really makes me all warm and cheery inside.
Mwahaha, I have 12! 12! That makes me about 1.7 times as good as you! And by that logic, your e-penis is a measly 2.3 inches long.

But yeah, this community is pretty nice, overall.

why is BFRPG frowned upon here?

It's not.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention it even once.

How long have you been here? I don't think there's much to discuss about it. I use it for one of my games.

It got a lot of talk a while back but like all OSR games their talk rise and fall. Like, when was the last time you heard people talk about AS&SH?

Fair enough

It might become popular here again in a couple months, but right now everyone's talking about GLOG.

GLOG?

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-glog.html

>Some of us have jobs, ya know...
No need for sass man, was just showing interest.

You remind me of the GLOG.
>What GLOG?
The GLOG with the power.
>What power?
The power of homebrew.
>Homebrew?
You do.
>Do what?
Remind me of the GLOG.

>No need for sass man
This is Veeky Forums, the only place where I can get well meaning sass on and not get myself Big Purpled out of existence.

>May 6th of 2016
>literally over a year ago

Why are you all suddenly only talking about it now?

Because they're hipsters who were late to the party and hope they can now be cool kids by association?

I have a question about gender and polymorph and amazingly it's NOT because of my magical realm

Can someone change genders with a Polymorph spell? A female character wanted to become a deer with antlers, and while I said yeah sure, I'm curious if anyone would have ruled differently

Takes a bit of time to separate the wheat from the chaff?

Alternatively, in a community this small (28 posters in this thread so far), it doesn't take much to have something "suddenly" start entering the conversation.

>Can someone change genders with a Polymorph spell?

Absolutely.

Coins & Scrolls dude started using it, and people like his blog and Goblin Punch, so a lot of people got into it.

You might as well call everyone interested in OSR hipsters.

>You might as well call everyone interested in OSR hipsters.
Well, a good portion certainly are. Raggi, Zak, Stuart, and Kabuki Kaiser spring to mind.

And you.

Anyone here a historian specializing in 12th - 16th century Calais? Want to go on an undirected rant about city design, governance, law, and drainage?

Veeky Forums as w hole is more likely to know than Veeky Forums, but not Veeky Forumsosrg/

What kind of resolution mechanic to you usually employ when you need to make a ruling?

It's part of his wheelchair.

How does disliking pretentious hipster "art" make one a hipster?

My way

or

the highway

Unless modifying a roll to use as a degree of success, I go with roll under.
It makes it easier to think about the chance of success.

It's not that. It's just the fact that you hang out on Veeky Forums posting about old games, have very specific opinions on very specific and popular people in the scene, and act like a faggot shitting up these threads ever so often.

It doesn't, but see .
Is he gripping with his talons?
But the highway is lower down.

>you hang out on Veeky Forums posting about old games
Like you.

>have very specific opinions on very specific and popular people in the scene
So no one can ever any negative opinions ever? I don't see you rushing to defend Gygax whenever someone points out how terrible he was.

>act like a faggot shitting up these threads
Yes, heaven forbid I should insult the great Ayatollah al-Raggi (PBUH), Grand Mufti of the OSR.

This is getting so predictable dude. You show here once or twice in the middle of the week, at around the same time, making some snide remark without provocation, and when people tell you to fuck off you go back to that boring "oh so I can't criticize *these* people??" argument.

Get it through your thick skull that people don't care what you think about raggi or zak or whoever you have a problem with in that clique. I can't be bothered to do this dance with you anymore.

Eh, figured it was worth a chance.

It's usually a Stat-based roll-under test.

Now that the shrieking has died down, I'd like to point out that a) I'm a filthy hipster heretic and b) it works. Your mileage may vary.

Now now, there's no need to fight. There's plenty of room in the thread for people who like all kinds of games. Can't we just get along and be polite, or at the very least civil?

Insulting anyone, purely for the insult's sake, is shitposting.
Critique their work or find something else to discuss.

>Can someone change genders with a Polymorph spell?
Implying that is couldn't is honestly pretty interesting.
What passage led you to that assumption?

I like to tie things into morale.
Mostly because of how many things I tie into morale.

Well if you don't get anything here I'm sure there's someone in /hwg/

>I like to tie things into morale.
Can you elaborate on that? Seems interesting.

>Sneaking past monsters?
Roll (possibly modified) over their morale.

>Malnourished?
Morale penalty.

>Skipping your once per hour rest?
Morale check or collapse, then a morale penalty.

>Trying to lie?
Arbitration. If I don't have a sense of it, opposed roll-under morale.

etc. etc.

Do the PCs in your game also have morale scores? I don't think I've seen that before. How is it calculated?

>What passage led you to that assumption?
I should have clarified it was Polymorph self, which has all those restrictions on 'blah blah no supernatural/special powers' and it was making me think 'this spell doesn't change SHIT beyond the physical, you're really just yourself stretched into a weird shape

And since you have to pick real creatures, not just 'Okay I will be a quadruped with wings and claws and tentacles and horns' it seems that you don't have free control, so if you were a female and stretched yourself into a deer, you'd still be a female deer and so wouldn't have horns because female deer don't have horns

Then I decided I was overthinking things and went with 'yeah you turn into a deer with antlers' and it didn't matter whether they were a female deer with antlers or a male deer with antlers because neither 'deer with antlers' or 'Level 4 spell changing sex' is something that threatens the cosmic balance of the universe

But Polymorph is a weird spell and I wondered if anyone else had odd rulings for it

Unless the gender you're attempting to polymorph into has innate magical powers, no, I wouldn't restrict that.

It also says you can polymorph yourself into a black pudding.

Black puddings don't have a gender.

QED...

Also, you are hella overthinking this. I'm sure there are better things to bang your head against.

what am I looking at here?

>when was the last time you heard people talk about AS&SH

Yesterday.

>Also, you are hella overthinking this. I'm sure there are better things to bang your head against.

NO

I MUST OBSESS OVER NON-ISSUES FROM LAST SESSION THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN RESOLVED BY MY OWN ENTIRELY REASONABLE DRAMA-FREE RULINGS

youtube.com/watch?v=kmB4DfG-3K4

Make sure to turn on subtitles

>I MUST OBSESS OVER NON-ISSUES FROM LAST SESSION THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN RESOLVED BY MY OWN ENTIRELY REASONABLE DRAMA-FREE RULINGS

This is why I keep rum on hand, for the late night madness.

Base 9, plus or minus 1 (their choice) at high levels.

They test morale as anyone else does.
If they fail and can retreat, -1 to hit and AC.
If they pass and can't retreat, +1 to hit and AC.

Morale also ties into my shitty homebrew's 0hp handling.
You're HD are (secretly) rolled at the start of each fight.
If you're above 0hp and an attack takes you below it, you lose take the damage out of your HD†
If you're at 0hp, each attack deals 1 point to your HD and the rest as -1d6 luck*
You can burn luck in a few other ways, but you die when your luck runs out.

If you fail a morale check at 0hp and opt to retreat, the retreat is automatic (baring extenuating circumstances).
If you pass the morale check but opt to retreat, things are less clear-cut.

†Lost HD are restored at the end of the adventure.
‡Max and initial value of 3d6. 1 point restored at the end of each adventure.

Oh man, I remember hearing a version of this story when I was child. I like how the constellations are outlined on the night sky.

Huh, that's interesting. I don't think I've seen these mechanics before. Did you come up with them yourself or did you get it from somewhere?