Song of Swords: Khopesh edition

Last time on Song of Swords:
Ancient hand grenades
Bucklers
Horrible Dinposting
Gun autism

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. The Kickstarter was nearly 300% funded, and we're on the fast track to kicking ass baby.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements.
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread.

We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room, but now we have a much better way to play Audatia: Tabletop Simulator! The (official!) mod for Audatia is now up and running!
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904774480

There is also a discord server you can join:
discord.gg/d66n2SW

Newcomers extremely welcome, please come and be friends with us! We love everyone, commies, fascists, sane people, infidels, heretics, schismatics, members of God's holy church in Rome, etc. Come on down and join the Cult of Swords!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q3hyvg-CbSc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Woo, I almost started a new thread.

Thread Challenge: Name your totally unique Combat Schools

what do you teach, what do you specialize in and most importantly what is the name of your School that strikes fear into the hearts of all that hear it?

>lightning lance
>2fast4u spears
>really fast
>also beating up students and fucking the ones that graduate

Heaven's Thrust of the Bastard

We would fill our ranks with the many unwanted Children around town
We would teach different Bastard Swording techniques but mostly all of our schools hierarchy would be built around how many women you could get pregnant.

Can someone tell me how the fuck creating schools works?

Choose how much PCP you're putting into 'Proficiency'
Pick a school you want to make
Decide which Proficiencys you want to be under that school
All of these choices are limited by how many points you have to spend

Once you've done this and paid the points necessary the school is now Level 1.
The profs under the school are equal to the school, adjusted by the school modifier

Scathatch pls go

The School of the Sky Piercing Mountain
The combination of two-handed weapons and minimal clothing strikes fear in the hearts of our enemies, allowing us to defeat them with a single mighty blow of red fury.
Also if you kill everyone before they can hit you armor is useless.

How much do proficiencies cost?

The Archmages
We teach 3.5e magic to show these SoS scrubs what it feels like to come from a world where a sword to the face is really not a big deal.

When will Arcturus set sail from Avalon to free his people? When will the true king and upstart queen fecht it out? Jim Jam, tell us of old Albion.

Was it a silly place?

>School of dark dank dirking
here you learn the art of drinking unsafe amounts of caffeine, getting real grumpy and shiving a foo'.

Guys, I want to know what do you think about this idea. Damage value of weapons gets replaced with Damage TN. It's checked on the same attack roll with ATN. Bonus successes to damage are removed from normal maneuvers.

>>Newcomers extremely welcome, please come and be friends with us! We love everyone, commies, fascists, sane people, infidels, heretics, schismatics, members of God's holy church in Rome, etc. Come on down and join the Cult of Swords!
>welcoming schismatics
Jimmy will have you head for this affront unto all good sense

Royal School of Knife Fighting

School that teaches you how to fight with knives, and long knives. Every 30 years there's a competition on the privilege to use the "Royal" in the name of the school, and the past 50 years, it has been in the hands of the school of knife fighting.

1.3 or the latex document?

>Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements.
This bit needs updating

Were the mass combat rules that jimjam posted during the last few threads for 1.3 or 1.9.9?

>True King returns to Albion
>Ends up in a MGS4 style fistfight with big dumb violent slav queen on the top of the tower
Would watch.

Chironite Style.

An Eldritch style of longsword fighting.

Just the mere sight of one of the moves is enough to drive a man mad.

We're all mad down here.

Latex.

We used to have a link which explained schools in the op. I'll try to do it from my phone at work from memory.

Each school has a base prof cost to enter, then another cost per weapon (usually 1-2) then the cost of level one proficiency for each weapon, which if you look at the proficiency chart is 1 per weapon. Humans waive this last cost.

So for soldier school with three weapon types it's base school cost of 1, three costs of 1 per weapon, and then three costs of 1 per base weapon proficiency, for a total of 7. The human discount takes this down to 4.

From there you level them paying only the cost as if it was one weapon, paying 1 point to get to level two etc.

Schools have changed since then. Check the new book, 1.3

I really hate the word proficiency.

In combat you have a dominant hand.
What you wield in your dominant hand is the Weapon Profiency that you have to use.
If the Weapon has more than one profile then you may choose which to use at the start of each round.
The Proficiency determines which maneuvers and superior maneuvers are available to you.
The level of the Profiency determines how many dice are added to your combat pool.
Each Proficiency has it's own talent slots and they are only active or possible when that specific proficiency has been chosen to be in play at the start of the round.
A school is a Proficiency. You use only the talents the school learns. The bonus of a School is that you can level several weapon proficiency at the same time.

All you have to do is
>Determine PCP in Proficiency for prof points
>Determine what proficiency you want in your school
>pay the base cost of the school in brackets and the adjusted cost of every level 1 prof you want added to the school
>now level the school as a normal Profiency
>use the schools level as the level of prof in it.

Has the Latex been updated? If not then that is the answer he wanted.

proficiency

I will erase you

proficiency

Bumping every 4 hours with meaningless posts is great and all but consider this

>Damage value of weapons gets replaced with Damage TN.

It doesn't make any fucking sense.
Kill yourself

This guy- he's really got some nerve!

SoS never disappoints

Go be disappointed somewhere else.

like on /bd/ Bad Ideas

Don't forget to bump this thread when it hits the bottom of page 10

With an idea that bad?
Better just let this get buried first

It will happen naturally.

Acquire proficiency

I'm going to reply to you just to piss off the guy who has shitty ideas

You lack the proficiency to do that

Ah Ha Ha, oh you . . .

FOOOOORRISSSHHH SAMOOOOREEEEEEEEE

>pay the base cost of the school in brackets and the adjusted cost of every level 1 prof you want added to the school
How do I figure out how much it costs?

>Cost: [2]+2 per Primary, +1 per Secondary

[2] is the base cost

prof cores cost 1 point

the +2 per primary is a modifier of the core cost

If you're human you pay -1 per core

So assuming Human & 8pcp in prof, you'd have 21 points

2 for Noble
2 for your primary
1 for your secondary

21 - 5 = 16 points to level the school with, school starts at level 1.
Should get you to level 10, which gives you +12cp w/ your primary.

a non human would spend
2 for noble
3 for primary
2 for secondary

I had this same idea before, but I don't think it would work.
Mean number of successes really swings with changing TNs. That's why the weapons only have TNs of 6-8. If you go this way for damage, decreasing TN by 1 could suddenly amp the damage, or not do very much at all, depending on how low the TN was already. And you have to include a meaningful difference between weapons, and also account for the wielder's strength, so you can't just put all the damage TNs in a narrow range.

Thanks for feedback. I just wanted to know if anything can come out of it. Agile weapons with low ATN and high Dam TN, mass weapons with medium to high ATN and Dam TN lower than ATN, etc.

>The oaths of marriage are the second strongest out of all of the many oaths, surpassed only by the
Damn, what a cliffhanger.

Oath of fealty, obviously.

It's the oath of a manly physical bond between brethren in arms.

Stat him.

Wow, schools are crazy different now.

Hit them Wound in the warhammer style just isn't fun. Landing a hit should be exciting, but it isn't anymore if you have to roll for damage and risk doing nothing.

Rolled 1, 5, 3, 10, 2, 6, 4, 1 = 32 (8d10)

>if you have to roll for damage and risk doing nothing
Power of attack is counted on the same dice as attack roll. Attack with lots of dice should still do more damage than weak attack.

Say, character cuts at the neck with 8 dice ATN6 DamTN7.

Rolled 10, 5, 5, 3, 4, 7, 10, 4 = 48 (8d10)

In this case he gets 2 successes and scores 1 power dealing STR+1 damage. Let's try again with ATN8 DamTN5 8 dice.

Now the attacker rolled 2 successes but would deal STR+5 damage.

Aren't those striped shirts supposed to be a VDV thing? I thought the Ocelots were GRU.

The telnyashka was originally a Russian naval thing, but the VDV adopted it after WW2 due their links with the Naval Infantry and like the Naval Infantry it marked them out as being an elite service.

The blue and white style worn by the Ocelots is the VDV version. Spetsnaz GRU have a close relationship with the VDV; many recruits were VDV, they work closely together and Spetsnaz GRU units in Afghanistan posed as VDV for counter-espionage purposes.

40k hack for Ballad when

When I'm not employed.

When you make it.

youtube.com/watch?v=q3hyvg-CbSc
This seems like the kind of bullshit video I'd see from that catamite Hendel McCaughn.

Although giants and realistic combat are relevant to my interests.

>catamite Hendel McCaughn.
He is pretty terrible.

I hear he voted for Jill Stein.

Oh god. You're still posting this terrible idea

How do you think this is even slightly viable?

ExDeath is like all the main classes from ff5 mastered and then somehow all equipped at the same time.

Dudes a full plate wearing, instant KO doing, magic casting magic caster with the ability to triple cast the 3 strongest spells at once.

That's some thoroughly pumped Red Mage shit.

His alternate costume was my main in Dissidia

So he's a Paladin.

what did he mean by this?

They look super dumb, but they become awesome because of who wears them. Actually berets are like that too.

>How do you think this is even slightly viable?
How do you think it's bad? As long as it brings some food for thought and posts it's better than depressing empty bumps every time /sos/ is about to fall off the board.

It may surprise you to know that more than one person posts at night

It may surprise you but the thread is empty

Just like your terrible idea

Just like your life

What if I check my Life TN with my ATN?

>being this buttmad that your super cool fix-everything fix is garbage
>buying every post of bait

Jesus Christ, kid. stahp

Roll and see

>super cool fix-everything fix
Never said that, it's just an idea

Is the only way left to keep the thread alive being this kind of turbofaggot?

stop fucking replying to yourself to bump the thread.

It's largely my fault for not posting, but I'm working very hard to get rules out for you guys, I know you appreciate the importance of that.

also his idea is fucking terrible:

>knights

Are they really supposed to be that spaced out and hold their pikes that high? That doesn't seem like the depictions I'm used to.

It's unclear how realistic Alatriste is, but it's a fucking great fight scene anyway.

I think they're fending off cavalry.

Shouldn't they be at least a few decimeters lower?

Probably much easier to adjust down than up, and in any long pole fencing situation you most definitely seem to want to be on top.

Then again, it's a matinee flick of no particular research, so any similarity with how they'd do things IRL would be more by accident than anything else. The camera perspective might also be messing with us a bit.

What happens/how does it work if I dual-wield shields?

It takes your opponent two separate 1BS Hew maneuvers before they get to kill you

why the fuck does that guy have a 1911

Eva did find a really souped up pistol somewhere in the Granin design bureau, maybe they had a few of them and one of the Ocelots thought it looked cool.

Can I have one shield up and one down?

What if I wear three gambesons?

go home coffee, you're drunk

HEROIN IS NOT AN ALCOHOL!

go eat some rotten fish from a can