Age of Sigmar General /aosg/

GW never paint non existent models anymore edition

>resources
pastebin.com/Cb3X4ZKW

>General's Handbook pdf
mega.nz/#!DxRGmTZL!x_L0eobCjr4qrF7enhVlZ2DffTtRa3hdDrc5RctcAbE

>army builder
scrollbuilder.com

Previous thread: >Rumors of GHB2: Same ability no longer stack; point increase for all 9"+ shooting unit; prayer is limited to rule of one...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aW59x5Rdwg4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for dinos

First for ratmen

Will we ever see updated saurus warriors?

I made a "competitive" ruleset for AOS based on a lot of the recent rule changes coming to 40k.

I'm looking for feedback before I start playtesting, so please let me know what you think!

They are in the SC box, so no.
They haven't updated zombies, why would they do saurus which still look ok?

Season 2 when? It has been too long.

Because of their frankly retarded underbite jaws which bear little resemblance to their artwork.

why cant I target a leader outside of 12? just because rules?

You should introduce a screening mechanic instead of that stupid shit.

I still use the ones from the old bret v lizardmang box

forgot pic

I started with the new 40k rule

>You cannot shoot at a Leader unless they are the closest target

The goal of this rule is to prevent long range sniping from killing characters without fundamentally changing the Line of Sight rules.

It represents the difficulty of trying to single out a target in the chaos of battle. It makes sense in 40k to have a clear cut rule about it because their weapons go up to 72" range and there are special weapons that can get around this rule and hit characters even if they're behind a screen.

I changed it to a 12" restriction for AOS because
1. Being unable to shoot a guy 5" away because there is a grot within 4" seems wrong - if you get close enough you should be able to fire on them
2. Sniper weapons don't exist in AOS

But in doing this I forgot to mention that there needs to be other units near the target.

I think I'll change it to this:

>Units with Leader cannot be targeted for shooting unless they are the closest target or are within 12”

What do you think?

The metals are fine, the plastics are meh, which is what I meant.

Probably never. But as pic related shows, it could be so much better.

Bringing these boys and a frigate in a 2500 point game. They are only partially base coated but I plan to follow the Barak-Zon colors.

all endriniggers must hang

First for Death

Do I give my lord of change the Sword of stabby or the Rod of pew pew?
I think the Rod looks like it has more damage potential

I would never play with those rules, even in friendly games.

The game is already competitive with the GHB and simply houseruling base2base measuring. The game's balance is currently designed around the current rules. Also GHB2 is rumored to make all units with shooting greater than 9" more expensive, rendering your shooting nerfs redundant.

All your proposed changes are the same knee-jerk reactions we have seen before when people first get introduced to the game. I find them unnecessary.

Speaking of weapons today, the Klad Barag has a few of its own that I got done.

It will be holding this in its left hand. This thing is made with 32mm round bases and 40mm square bases, to give you an idea of its size. It is massive.

A lot of competitive players disagree. These aren't kneejerk reactions from shitposting autists, these are valid criticisms and ideas about improving the strategic depth and overall enjoyment of the game. I find it hard to believe that anyone enjoys the current metagame of "Hide From The Thundertusk/Longstrike/Skyfire" and I don't think that increasing points is the right way to go.

Many tournaments put restrictions on the GHB rules, some of the most common ones are:
>prayer rule of one
>no ability stacking
>hit roll of 6 always hits
>balewind vortex is banned / can't be used by named characters

>A lot of competitive players disagree
I don't know where you are getting this because I see a lot of competitive players fine with the game the way it is.

But yeah I agree prayer rule of one, no ability stacking, and balewind vortex ban are commonly accepted houserules. Those are very minor changes and don't affect the overall gameplay. The ones in your document are major game changes that alter the core rules too much. Particularly your shooting nerfs, charging units strike first. I don't think you realize how much this changes the core gameplay. Especially since you are looking to alter points costs to things. If you want points costs changed, write GW. They already said they are updating the GHB yearly with adjusting points on things based on player and TO feedback.

The wizard spell lore nerf seems completely unnecessary, especially for summoning armies.

I'm sorry, but I just do not see any appeal to these rules at all, and I play competitively.

>elves
Disgusting.

Garithos did nothing wrong

Shooting lists are far and away the best lists in the competitive scene. Aetherstrike, skyfires, thundertusks, stormfiends, Kunnin Rukk, etc.

There are only a handful of top tier competitive lists that don't heavily rely on shooting, and one of the best ones isn't in production any more (Tomb Kings).

I don't think increasing point costs is the way to go because it's just a bandaid solution. The power level of a lot of these shooting units needs to come down (especially the Thundertusk - it's just not fun to play against) and the most efficient way of doing that is to change some of the rules about shooting. Shooting should be a tool that feels rewarding to use properly, not something you endlessly spam.

This isn't 40k, you shouldn't see so many gunlines.

>This isn't 40k, you shouldn't see so many gunlines.
You could have fooled me with your changes trying to emulate it.

How does making charge more powerful and weakening the power of shooting incentivize gunlines?

>leaders cant be sniped by long range artillery any more
>cant shoot out of melee, engaged units must choose to shoot their immediate enemy or retreat
>targeted nerfs to thundertusk and stormfiend "lolmortalwounds" shooting attacks

All of these things make shooting weaker.

>dwarves

lmfao okay, tell us more about how you love the all male bearded sweaty midgets who spend their days exploring each others tunnels.

If multiple units charge one unit do all the chargers get to strike before the defenders?

Seems pretty stupid to me.

If an entire army, or even just a sizeable chunk, get to charge in one turn they are basically going to table their opponent.

Alternating combat resolution is one of my favourite things about the system, I'd hate to see it go.

Your changes aren't going to take off, man. You are welcome to try, but I don't see it happening.

>Manlets
When will they learn?

He's proposing 40k 8e's system where chargers strike first, then it goes to alternating combat. It makes sense for 40k, but not for AoS

>faggot aelf players assume anyone with a beard must be a dwarf

>If multiple units charge one unit do all the chargers get to strike before the defenders?
Yes

>If an entire army, or even just a sizeable chunk, get to charge in one turn they are basically going to table their opponent.
Or they'll kill the enemy screen and then get countercharged and/or shot down?
Tactics

It's still alternating combat resolution, just that charge units get to attack first. Right now charging multiple units results in too many casualties before you can activate all your units and that makes it too easy to play defensive shooting armies.

I'm not expecting them to take off. It's more like a thought experiment.
I'll be playtesting them in my local store (very competitive scene) because people here are very interested in making AOS a little bit more complex

I'm curious why you think it doesn't make sense for AOS

He is human, not a dwarf. Garithos hates dwarves and all non-humans

>people here are very interested in making AOS a little bit more complex
And here we come to the crux of the issue. People feel the game is not complex enough because they are not seeing the complexity. So they believe adding unecessary rules and bloat is what makes a game more complex. Good luck to you, I am glad im not in your local scene.

>blizzdrones

youtu.be/aW59x5Rdwg4

Damn you elves are stupid

>Humanlets
>When will they learn?

>I'm curious why you think it doesn't make sense for AOS
Because overwatch.

40k has overwatch. AoS has shooting in combat. Shooting is much more prevalent and effective in 40k than it is in AoS. In order to counter all the shooting in 40k, they adopted chargers strike first. In AoS it's alternating combat, combined with alternating turns, means shooting in combat doesn't happen as often as people think it does.

I am beginning to wonder if you really do play this game competitively,

We see the complexity, we just want a bit more.

Not sure why you are being such a hostile dickbag. You remind me of the people that complained nonstop when the GHB was released and put limits on infinite attacks, unlimited summoning, and 1+ saves.

This is pretty much why I'm excited for 8th ed 40k, GW have finally realised, thanks in large part to AoS, that sometimes you need to strip things down to make them work.

After literally decades of each new edition of 40k, and whfb when it was still around, getting more and more bloated they are finally making something more streamlined.

Rules bloat =! complexity.

Apparently pointing out flaws in your logic and reasoning makes me a 'hostile dickbag'. So I will stop. Good luck with your 'trying to fix the game'

Why do you insist on making me angry today by posting images like that? I was having a good morning.

Why is it rules bloat?

Tournaments adding more rules of 1 about prayers and buff stacking isnt rule bloat?

I think youre just tossing buzzwords around and it's not forming strong arguments.

I never said it was "trying to fix the game"

>I never said it was "trying to fix the game"
Not him man but this looks exactly like what you are trying to do.

>please let me know what you think!*

*Unless you disagree with me then you are being a hostile dickbag

>implying you aren't the same KO shitposter who has mini autistic freak outs ever time elves get mentioned due to your WHFB related elf ptsd.

AOS is fun. It's not a broken game by any means.

It has some problems, one of the biggest ones is that shooting utterly dominates the game. It's not fun to face a Thundertusk deleting a hero every turn, and when people bring 2-3 to every game it starts to be a problem. Yes, you can play around these units, but they are so much more effective than melee units that they are have become the core of every list and it's not fun to play against the same thing every time.

The GHB encourages making house rules to make the game more fun. I'm experimenting to see if I can make the game more fun for competitive players by adding more tactical options through restricting shooting and boosting charging units.

Lots of big AOS tournaments have made lots of house rules, like base to base measurement, the rule of 1 about prayers & ability stacking, and the ban on the balewind vortex. Many people find these tournaments more enjoyable to play in than the basic as-written version of Matched Play - are they playing the game wrong?

If you disagree that's fine. I'm asking for feedback and having a discussion, nothing more

I'm pretty new and am really interested in the Balewind Vortex but it keeps being referred to as broken and I'd rather not be That Guy
What is it that got it banned?

Its VERY that guy

First for trees!

Balewind Vortex is a piece of scenery that any wizard can summon into the game (for 100 reinforcement points)

While you're riding on it you get 3 benefits
1. +1 to casting
2. DOUBLE the range of all your spells
3. No other models can be within 3" of the vortex. This means nobody can ever get into melee combat with your wizard.

When combined with casters that can cast multiple spells per turn you become a magic artillery piece, lobbing spells across the table from relative safety.

People don't like playing against it because spells are balanced around their low ranges. It doesn't feel good to get hit by spells from 36"+ away. Some armies also have limited ranged potential and having a multi-spell wizard raining death while they cant do ANYTHING about it is pretty stupid.

Balewind Vortex = That Guy.
Immune to melee/charge.
Add one for casting/unbinding.
Double spell range.

Riptide wing tier

Combine Balewind Vortex with Sylvaneth's Gnarlroot or Harvestboon Wargrove and you're going to be wiping your opponent before they charge you.

Kek

I like this new scenery piece mechanics but this sounds so ridiculous

After playing TWW i agree with Garithos, fuck Dwarfs.
All of them should be gassed

New to the game so forgive me if it is clearly stated somewhere obvious.

Do you have to roll for a the "warlord trait" or can you just pick it? I've heard conflicting things about this.

Second, can heroes that are not the general take artifacts, and if they can, can you take multiple of the same artifact in the army? Such as a Tomb blade on a Wight king aswell as on the general for instance? I can't spot any limitation in the GHB other then a model cannot have more then one from the list unless otherwise stated.

>Do you have to roll for a the "warlord trait" or can you just pick it? I've heard conflicting things about this.
Read the paragraph about Command Traits again

>Second, can heroes that are not the general take artifacts
Read the paragraph about Artifacts again
>and if they can, can you take multiple of the same artifact in the army?
Read the paragraph about Artifacts again

its not banned, officially anyways.
The vortex is a 100 point piece of scenery that you can attempt to summon during your hero phase. It can not be used by behemoths. It makes whoever is on top un-targetable in the combat phase except by those who have the flying keyword. The person on the vortex can be shot as normal.

the rage against it is mostly from the fact that armies like bloodbound tend not to have the tools in their list to deal with it.

outside of edge cases its not broken at all. Most wizards in the game are such utter garbage anyways that even with a vortex its debatable if they are even worth including.

pic related is fun on a vortex

Guess my dream of a magic star frog riding a tornado is dead then
Thanks for the serious responses everyone

If you can borrow one just to use it once, you'll see why.

dude do what you want. not playing what you want to play because other people would prefer you lose is not a good way to do things. You can always tone your list down based on the power level of who you're going up against.

One guy at my store only ever brings that.
It's amazingly unfun watching my army disintegrate every turn while I can't do anything but twiddle my thumbs and wait for the game to end once all my ranged units die.

I'm honestly curious why you didn't just tell him, That reply must have taken atleast as long as writing the actual answer.

Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life

I run TAC lists since I only have a Citadel battle-sized case but play both 40k and AOS now. Can fit 750 points of 40k and 1000 of AOS into the case to play whoever shows up to game night since my friends from outside the store dont play

once all your ranged units die just concede. He'll see how fun it is to play for half a game

amen brother

How much should aetherstrike, thundertusk and skyfires be tuned down?

>elves
>dwarves
>not elfs
>not dwarfs

Get out newfriends

Posting fluff about my bloodbound dudes. I haven't named my warband or any of my guys yet, but here's what I have so far. Also I started writing this just as some notes but it got more intense as I went along.

Khorne lord carries an ancient and mysterious axe with a blade of black glass. It's incredibly powerful and if it draws blood, the victim dies. They know that the axe is a relic from an long lost civilization. They are searching a desert in the realm of beasts for more weapons and artifacts like it.
So far, they haven't found any. But they have found ruins made of the same obsidian-like stone. Masses of slaves and mutants are left excavating the site of the ancient city, for materials and relics.
The smiths and armorers of the group are working on building a massive forge fueled by burning skulls. They hope that they can stoke the flames to burn with the heat of Khorne's fury. Only then will the fires be hot enough to forge new weapons with the obsidian.
War parties range out from the ruined city, searching for slaves to labor in the quarries, skulls to fuel the furnace, and carnage to appease their god.
What they don't know, is that the ancient civilization (and their relics) were not servants of chaos, but instead served the lord of death. Indeed they serve him still, and the constant excavation of their home is sure to wake them from their centuries of slumber...

What do you guys think? Also tell me about your dudes.

Skyfires just need a small point cost increase. 240 for 3 sounds about right.

Longstrikes should be limited to max 6 instead of max 12.

Thundertusks needs a warscroll change. They need to either reduce the range from 18" to 8 or 12", or they need to make it a 3+ to activate instead of 2+

meh, i've always like them, though whoever thought it was a good idea to split their legs that way on the sprue needs to be hanged

Would an army made of a mix of ogres and night goblins make sense, as a night goblin boss exploiting guillible ogres?

Fuck yes that makes perfect sense. But ogres and goblins don't have much synergy, but to make it fluffy have a tyrant be the general, the goblins manipulate it to think he's in charge

You could just use Night goblin models and use the rules for Gnoblars/trappers, right?

i assume Gnoblars have SOME synergy with say a Tyrant or any of the gutbuster heroes

I am working on some cool dudes in age of Sigmar. I plan to mix Sylvaneth and Freeguild in that the freeguild are from a woodcutters town in either the realm of life or beasts, (I haven't decided yet) and that the woodcutter village/town was under threat from the Sylvaneth due to the woodcutters chopping down many trees containing aelf souls. But after the entire region is threatened by a greater foe they need to band together and look past their differences in order to ensure the survival of them both.

What do you guys think? Can It work? I am kind a new to age of Sigmar, so if there are any holes in my work in progress fluff then please do tell me

Also I don't plan on going full competitive, I just want to have fun

Decided to buy the Skeleton Hordes Start Collecting box today to start my first army but have some questions.

1. How do I want to build the guys in this set? From what I've read warriors should be spear and shield but I don't know about the Knights or Arkhan. Should I magnetize them?

2. What direction do I go after this box? More skeletons I assume, then what? In the same vain, is there a good resource for learning how to put a good list together or what units are good/bad?

Other beginner tips are appreciated as well.

Skyfires aren't worth 240 man. You need 9 of them to do 6 mortals and 4 rend-1 damage. That's 72 points per damage. A lot of melee units like bloodletters for example are 5x more efficient with buffs they can be 20x more efficient than that.

Neferata is really really good as well so you want to be able to swap. Skeletons should be spears if they are in units larger than 10. I don't think they are that good to build around without Settra and Tomb King though.

Almost any death player will want a Zombie Dragon kit and some Crypt Horror kits and a necromancer. Turning some Dragon Blades into Blood Knights is also pretty much universally useful in list as are 40 zombies.

>should I magnetize them?

the answer is always yes, if you have the ability to magnetize, that is

>what direction should I go after this box?

1000 pt lists for every army are in the OP

Nice

I just finished reading the Iliad, and that Homer dude knows his Shit.

What would be the best way to represent an army of horse taming Achaeans in AoS?

Free guild. all cav army

Skyfires are absolutely worth 240

Git gud

You can field 12 skyfires and a shaman for 1080 points against me any day brah.

I agree with this

Anyone have an experience with/playing against Tamurkhan's Horde. The models look cool, I'm just wondering if they'll be outclassed by just a regular Nurgle army

>I'm just wondering if they'll be outclassed by just a regular Nurgle army

100% going to be outclassed by the 'upcoming' Nurgle tome so you should wait if that's all you want.

Supposedly them nor Chaos dwarves are that powerful, i beat them with fucking Pestilens. Bile trolls seemed alright, the toad-riders didn't do much.Tamurkhan himself is like any big monster hero but mortal wounds from prayers + Monk swarms dropped him.

>Q: Quick question on the Damage characteristic. Does a damage characteristic of 3 kill 3 one wound models? Or does it inflict 3 wounds to a single model that don't carry over to other models in the unit?
>A: It does 3 wounds to one model. No carrying over onto other members of the unit.

new 40k rules. think we are looking at a preview of AOS 2.0 here?

>think we are looking at a preview of AOS 2.0 here?

No. That system is in place because unlike AoS 40k is full of guns monsters psykers and tanks, heavy hitters are everywhere

As much i hate fighting Ironguts if the mighty 3 damage wound gets through and could only kill 1 Clanrat that would be dumb

>Durthu swings for 18 damage
>kills 2 zombies, 1 of them saves

>Durthu hits a clanrat, 17 more die

>durthu obliterates a clanrat with his huge sword, bits of clanrat fly everywhere and hurt everyone else.