Magic Story Lore Thread:High Ground Edition

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/trespass-2017-05-10
The story is called Trespass. Since nothing really dies are the three gods that Bolas killed still out in the waste?

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=t:"bird" e:akh/en&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>she had the high ground

Yes, yes, go on and get the lemme smash jokes out of the way.

>Grim Striders glorified dissenter vacuums

Not a lot of interesting juice in this one, besides the characterization of above, which I found cool. Ending was predictable and I'm annoyed that Samut's knowledge of the truth stems from a single room she found, rather than some cumultivation of other things or hunch.

If they are, they're either monstrosities such as that or were rendered incapable of doing much.
Can't do shit if you've been separated into square-inch chunks.
On the other hand, Bolas might have figured out some other method of removing them. Either through simply not actually killing them in the first place or by complete and total annihilation.

>a story about a character none really cares

3.2/10 get to the point

Couldn't even be multiple rooms or something that she has to piece together.
No, just the one that she's been to a bunch but conveniently just now gets just when The Heroes show up

tl;dr:
>once upon a time in Amonkhet there weren't any planeswalker
>but there were a bunch of kids
>and then one died
>his friends were really broken up about it
>then they grew up.
>okay, you're all caught up now

When I think Egyptian world, I think pic related

But instead we get this.

they kind of gloss over it, but they do mention samut spent plenty of time exploring the older ruins to find answers.

I really hoped she was just an one-note character that died quietly, but she seems to be rescued next chapter of the chapter after that. And leaks point out she is our new Planeswalker come HoD.

I don't mind another Nubian Planeswalker, but Gods, couldn't she be a little less ugly? This is an eyesore.

Grim Strider could have been the god of death.

True, but it pretty much states all of those findings or ruins she probed did squat while the single macguffin room did. It would have worked better if she pieced things togrher, rather then stumbling onto evilplot.jpeg

I realize this is an incredibly pedantic point, but this week's story is so inoffensive and threadbare I have to complain about something

To be fair, her research led her there.

i find your post hilarious. samut (or whoever aleksi briclot had model for her) is a beautiful woman. what you are seeing as ugly is her facial expression.

she is making an angry, aggressive face. women rarely make these kinds of faces and when they do, it is seen as being ugly. i've worked in the fashion industry for years. i guarantee that model would seem beautiful to you if she made a calm, passive face.

Isn't she supposed to be young? She looks in her late 30s

no man, being half bald makes a woman ugly
plus the background is as uninteresting as humanly possible, and the pose is quite unnatural, you'd make that move when there's enemies about, not when you are showing off your ugly warface

Is R/G deck built around her viable in Amonkhat? Would a third color in the mix be ok?

White would be good

>no man, being half bald makes a woman ugly
i don't even know how to unpack this. she has hair all on her head. her hair is pulled back so you can see her forehead. you hate foreheads?

>the background
>the posing
you said she was "ugly"...not that the art was bad...

She's clearly meant to be fighting someone off screen. Also she's pissed off as fuck. People aren't usually pretty when they're batshit furious.

Different anons, I was the user who called her ugly. Which per my standards, she is. There have been plenty of furious women in mtg story, but hey, ugly is the next "Standard" we need to break =^)

Can't wait for a morbid obese planeswalker.

Got to be tough to stay focused on mtg when the cards don't get you hard.

I want Djeru and Samut to make up
And then fug

>forgetting about karn
he weighs at least a few tons

There's a third option.

Here's a third option
Kill yourself.

The narrative itself is serviceable (Yichao has done quality work for this set's story), but I just don't buy Samut's reasoning behind becoming a dissenter. Perhaps that's because the ending was rushed, but her moment of putting the pieces together feels like a vast logical leap.

I know many complains are that WotC doesn't print waifus anymore. My point wouldn't be on this category. I'm not asking her to be pretty or a titty monster like another user.
I just wanted her to be less ugly. It is hard to care about someone when they unappealing.

but why don't people complain about xenagos or tezzeret for being gruesome looking?

My nigga
Hey faggot not everyone here fucks sjw hambeast women. You Kill Your Self

I am that user that wants be titie monster waifus in mtg.
Those guys arnt that ugly desu.

I was on a break on theros, but if I was to say something, he is a satyr, so I'm parcial to say my human standards are applicable here.

Tezzeret has had a very inconstant design all around, but since The Seeker he has been in a very rugged shape.

Those are my personal opinions of both these guys.

You're allowed to be shallow that way. You totally are. But no one's got to cater to that. Also tons of people do cater to that so lol.

I don't see the problem.

Because they wuz kangs for a little under 100 years and that was it. Also they were Nubians, not the West Africans who Black Americans are mostly descended from.

How about instead of a bunch of white Brits playing Ramses and Noah in the 400th version of Exodus, or WE WUZ KANGS, we get some actual Egyptians looking people on in an Egyptian setting?

I'd rather be seen playing a card game where is a card rather than a card game where is a card.

Tezzeret and Gideon are two planeswalkers where I really feel like the artists need to have a pow-wow with the subject "OK, guys, what the fuck do these guys LOOK LIKE?"

Tezzeret has "dreds, metal arm" and Gideon has "Sideburns. Big. Armor." Beyond that, I feel like they leave way too much variance in there.

Chandra is Chandra is Chandra. She is always more or less exactly the same person from one piece of art to the next.

Does Gideon look like Bruce Willis? Does he look like Nicolas Cage? Is he a lighter or darker shade of Mediterranean? Are his eyes blue, green, brown, or hazel? I don't particularly care what you settle on but PICK SOMETHING.

I'm a big fan of how they drew Xenagos, personally. You don't have any particular notions one way or the other about Heliod from how he's drawn but I liked how utterly malevolent they made Xenagos look. One peek at his card tells you this guy's bad news.

Gideon's inconsistency is one of my main grips too. Pre-Origins I will give the benefit of the doubt, but after the soft reboot that came along with it, they have no excuses.

Well Nissas story depicted the gods as stars which Bolas encircled. And when three got snuffed out they were replaced by something dark and weird.

So the Gods are either zombies or have been twisted into demons/horrors.

>Three of the stars winked out. Their generation of light and heat snuffed. Their lives vanished.

>But Nissa could still see movement where those three stars had been. Stars no more, just three dark rents in the fabric of the sky. Three dark holes, possessed of an energy and fury all their own, pulsing to a rhythm malevolent.

Up to you if that means they still exist or if their absence is just something that negatively impacts Amonkhet.

Considering that Amonkhet's Dead Curse is something the plane itself is doing as a revenge against Bolas, I would suspect the former Gods will show up when the hekma is shattered.

It could be that Bolas butchered the gods and turned them into whatever is persisting the autozombie magic. Gods are leylines, autozombie is a feature of the magic of the plane, etc.

Given how the zombies reacted to the horror, it could have been a god. Or just a more powerful extension of the same magic.

I'm still not sure on Tezzeret's skin color, like 65% confident on him being white
>see him for the first time
>dreds
>in shadow
>kind of light skin tone
>Agent of Bolas version is just grey
>but he looks pretty black in Revolt
I can't really tell

Autozombie is the plane itself's doing.
Could have bound the three together and set them on fire, though. Nothing says 'new sun' like a deific bonfire.

It's hard to tell. Like Gideon, artists seem to depict his skin in a range that goes from pale to dark to ashen.

underrated post/10

Thats what it looks like, yes. But it didnt do that before Bolas took over.

Im just saying that and ultrakilling 3 gods are probably somehow related.

is one actually lili's demon?
I suspect that all three are still on amonkhet, doing bolas' work as zombies. After grixis, bolas should know how to do zombie things

The demon's still around and has something to do with the Anointed.

Although he fucked Amonkhet up before he went to Alara in the first place, if I've got the timeline right.

Lili's demon appears to be unrelated to the pantheon but he serves Bolas and has been inserted into the religion as a gatekeeper of the afterlife for reasons not yet explained.

I don't know, Gideon's becoming more consistent. You occasionally get some artists painting him as uncharacteristically white but post-Origins Gideon is almost universally bronzed Mediterranean, with a rather broad nose.

>Bruce Willis Gideon

Always a good chuckle

What happened to this gideon, he lost his facial hair, and hes giving me the crazy eye

ORI Gideon was when he first sparked
oath of gideon, ally of zendikar, reproach, BFZ art, the escalate card that taps creatures, chandra hug, the one to the left of chandra hug and martial paragon are pretty on point with each other

phalanx was probably when he was still kytheon, dunno

gideon of the trials was drawn in a very different art style with more water colors and the art description probably says to make him look old and grumpy as he contemplates fightin' the gods

>I want to play force of will but no one plays my titty game so here I am.

Zendikar Gideon is generic and ill-defined, with his only interesting traits being his equipment.
DOTP 2012 Gideon is a blatant Bruce Willis trace.
RTR Gideon is where he starts to acquire a standard identity that's pretty consistent.
Post-Origins Gideon is almost entirely consistent after a few modifications (such as making him Mediterranean for some reason), just drawn slightly different by slightly different artists.

I'd only really complain if you see any inconsistencies in post-Origins Gideon As it is, he's stabilized.

Kytheon is from Theros.
Alex, I'll take the country greek people live in for $200

>Gideon's Reproach

Leaks?

Nigga you gay?

Funny you mention that, I got into Magic back in 2013, and I genuinely love the game and women of it like Thalia and Anafenza. And while 1-2 titty monsters would nice, this huge sjw kick WotC has been on has me kinda of pissed off. I did my some decks of force of will but sadly my play group don't play it.

Alesha's hot ;)
I'd love for her to fuck me in the ass with her cock
don't even try to tell me tarkir ~1300 years ago had that type of surgery+hormones

>Phyrexia still hasn't won

Why do people care about Samut? Nobody will remember him/her/it after this set, she isn't like Thalia or Anafeza or whatever. She's just a black lady(?) in a mess of a card.

Fuck this story was nothing, I need to complain about something.

The bird guy was cool, why we didn't get a card of him instead of an unninteresting warrior.

Wait, do people actually talk about Anafenza based on her story or flavour?

Because I can't recall the last time I heard anyone talk about her outside attempts to make Modern Spirits work.

magiccards.info/query?q=t:"bird" e:akh/en&v=card&s=cname
here you go

because he died long before the current story

Hey man, Anafenza is my spirit waifu. I am actually gay, but I really loved abzans flavor, by far my favorite clan, and anafenza my favorite khan.

She's the waifu of some anons iirc.

>No Legendary Aven
Sad, birbpeople are cool.

>She's just a black lady
That's probably it
You're right though, she's just going to be forgotten after the next set. It'll probably go something like this.
>Thank you for helping liberate my plane, Batm-er Jace and friends. And thank you for not burning it too much.
>I would love to help you after you chased off/killed the false Pharaoh but I must help rebuild here
Then Ajani comes in and says that he needs help in Aztec-land if he didn't show up to sacrifice himself to Bolas to save everyone.

Did I get your favorite FRF khan right?

>because he died long before the current story

No shit, Sherlock, but the birb dude had more character and personality than Samut.

>Phyrexia has been back for 6 years
>Hasn't done jack shit since
>Instead all we get is The Super best Friends doing the same thing over and ove

And MTG has been trying to put a focus on keeping the cards connected to the story.

They tend to make cards of alive people who are interacting in the story.

Hence Samut, vs bird person who died a while ago.

I wish her art was more colorful. A Naya mythic should scream Red Green and White, not boring muted colors

here's what a naya mythic should look like

Her face actually looks like a granny face, you're retarded.

(You)

Did you mean favorite neck ornament?

Too bad Daghatar was a coward

Daghatar did what was right.

with Uril it Works, since he's "the Miststalker", and meant to be elusive and mysterious
Samut is meant to be outrageous, a "voice of dissent", a doublestriker rebelling against a corrupt society, not some sneaky thug wandering through a bland back alley attacking random passerby like she looks now

You've still got this girl for all your Abzan needs.

I'm glad you're not getting your way.

I am glad that you are a faggot or a women. Since when did people on Veeky Forums respect women?

I mean, we actually got to see Anafenza do some interesting shit.

I'm more annoyed that she's just a big keyword salad.

How about something like this, you know an actual Egyptian

THIS

It's like you don't even Veeky Forums, anons.

Also killed by Slumdog Millionaire.

Although maybe she can be a ghost in Rebels of Tarkir, too.

...Hm. By and large I've noted a lot of fatigue with rebellion plots in MtG, but would people be all right with a rebel plot if it was humanity striking back at the dickhead dragonlords in Tarkir?

>Jace
>Jacetice League
>Rebellions

The first 2 got adressed, rebellions are getting fucking boring.

Everyone assumes Amonkhet is going to be a rebellion plot. But the plane is fucked beyond the ability of the Gatewatch to fix, even if everyone else remains equal.

They can't take the gods. They certainly can't take Bolas. Amonkhet is going to end with the entire plane getting exploded to fuel some crazy Bolas plan, with the Gatewatch being powerless to stop it.

Tezzeret tricked Lilianna into coming here to die, hoping she would be on the plane when everything went down. Notice how Tezzerret planeswalked away to safety and ISN'T HERE on his bosses personal plane?

Yeah, the writing's on the wall that this is going to go south fast for the Gatewatch in Hour of Devastation.

I'm still wondering if Liliana is going to backstab/abandon the team when she's got the demon killed and things start to go sideways, because "incurring the wrath of Bolas and remembering the Chain Veil is in no way a balancing factor" doesn't seem like the sort of thing Liliana's going to be a good person to have on the team for.

they do have magic though man

>internet, both Veeky Forums AND /r/magicTCG, hate how the gatewatch always have the spotlight

>story about someone other than gatewatch and people don't care about the characters

It's a lose/lose situation for the writing team: either focus on the planeswalkers and not go into the lore of the folks on the planes, focus on non-walkers with
no emotional connections (although I personally enjoy Samut as a card, and it seems like her power level in the story and in the game match pretty well) and it's like pre-gatewatch all over again, or fire everyone on the writing department to get professionals and make Twitter and reddit angry.

I think it doesn't matter if it's walkers or inhabitants of the set's world. Well written characters are always appreciated. I love character like Odric, Thalia, the twins, Tesya, Tajic, Ral, Anafenza, and many more. It's this shitty teenage sounding, one dimensional, tumblr shit that is creating shitty stories.

You got it wrong, kiddo. They can write an interesting character associated to a legendary card but instead they write about a nobody. Quick, what was the name of the lesbian couple in SOI? That's my point, some characters are only remember because of their pandering, Samut will go down in MTG lore story as that black lady with awful art and nothing more.

Fuck the Gatewatch, that's for sure, but if they're gonna write about new characters, at least make them interesting.

TO BE FAIR, Samut can make a come back in HOU, we'll have to wait and see. But as for now, she's a boring character.

Also
>reddit

Hal and Alena? Their names were pretty easy to remember, they had a good amount of flavor text and their focus story with Arlinn was loads better than anything in BFZ Troop didn't write.

Although the Innistrad guy I want to read more about is Rem Motherfucking Karolus.

Honestly disappointed that Rem's title changed in EMN. It makes sense, but Slayer of Angels is just so much more metal.

>It's this shitty teenage sounding, one dimensional, tumblr shit that is creating shitty stories.

>instead they write about a nobody. Quick, what was the name of the lesbian couple in SOI? That's my point

So we fire the writing team then? Because litteraly the Alison girl that made Yahenni begged to get on the team. No formal interview, no proof that she can write well other than her telling them she can.

Also for the sheer fact that you guys are hating on a body that can't be bolted OR fatal pushed and can swing for six every turn, Samut is my new waifu.