Warhammer Fantasy Battle Thread

Isabella-Chan Edition

> Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

> We're looking for these novels for the archive
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Return of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pVY1-v97Mic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why jack the copypasta from the Warhammer Fantasy General and try to rebrand the thread Warhammer Fantasy Battle?

Half the things in the copypasta doesn't even relate to Warhammer Fantasy Battles specifically.

>be Bretonnian
>give the food the pissants
>take 90% as taxes while giving it to them

And 80% of the thread is strigoi or elf posting.

This thread has kothing about WHFB

How hard is it to raise a nonhuman undead?
Does it depend on the race?

>‘I never wanted this burden. It just came on me. I’m only a man,’ he said softly. He looked at his hand, encased in black iron for gods alone knew how many centuries. ‘I’ve only ever been a man. A wicked, evil man, who has done wicked, evil things. But I was never a monster. Never that.’

-Archaon

How can anyone hate Archaon?

he'd a massive retard and should have had his head caved in with ghal maraz. Alternatively be swiftly and unceremoniously decapitated by the Widowmaker.

he's the worst Character GW ever wrote until Nu-Sigmar came along

Richter Krueger does it just by killing them.

It's really a shame what they did to his character.

But separates a monster and an evil man?

self-pity

What kind?

Souls are hard with nonhumans.

I love how the 'to the peasants' option has the flavor text 'maybe if we feed them for once, they'll stop complaining.'

Why didn't he, oh I dont know, not be evil?!

FFFFFFFFF-
CUSTOM GENERAL MAKER FOR TOTAL WAR WHEN?!!?

Dead game, dead thread.

Depends on the race I guess.
Although at this point I think necromancers try to avoid raising dwarf skeles. OR ELSE IT'S THE BOOK.

Zombies/Skellies/Wights/Wraiths

youtube.com/watch?v=pVY1-v97Mic

Because Be'lakor resets the timeline every time that he does nothing or kills himself. Everything ever that Archaon encountered proved he was going to become evil, so the character was literally railroaded into it. He's basically a ripoff of the Deathdealer, except he fails and becomes a plot device rather than actual character.

Archaos's story is thus.
Archaon: But I don't want to be evil.
Writer: But you are.
Archaon: No.
Writer: But I wrote you evil. Everything else confirms this.
Archaon: Make me.
Writer: Time will not progress until you are evil.
Archaon: But why.
Writer: Because you blame Sigmar.
Archaon: FUCK SIGMAR.

>Zombies
Yes, anything can be one.
>Skeletons
As above.
>Wights
Iffy. Needs the soul, and nonhuman souls are hard to tame. Dwarf souls are drawn into the rock, Elf souls into Waystones or eaten by Slaanesh. But probably possible, Necromancy seems to steal souls back from Chaos and somehow in ET all souls of Dwarfs plus an Elf who should have been Slaanesh chow appeared.
>Wraiths
As above. But technically Wraiths are not created, merely existing ghosts.

There are Dwarf wights in one of the old RP books, I think

Older material is hard to call canon, especially if only referenced once. Things like all Chaos Champions returning as mindless soulless undead directly puppeted by a Chaos God for a year for example.

It sets a good precedent if you want to do it in your army, but its a hard argument conversationally.

Probably depends a lot on the race. Souls are likely substantially and tangibly different from race to race in the aethyr, so it probably wouldn't be one-size-fits-all raising. I guess extremely powerful sorcerers and necromancers (such as Nagash was) could brute-force the whole thing, because we know that the dead can rise spontaneously under the influences of True Dhar Shyish, but I would not consider that the norm.

I think its more about knowing the differences than strength and brute force.
Nagash and Necrarchs could probably do it, Arkhan too, Neferata and Vlad would need research on test subjects although Nef has a head start on Dwarfs, and Mannfred would need a tutor. Random Necromancers, they'd need to make it their specialty.

Wait. When did he become Archaon? I always thought he became Archaon not too long before Storm of Chaos, but then he couldn't have been encased in armour for fucking centuries.

His quest for the treasures of Chaos took him centuries.

No, yeah, I absolutely agree, that's my point, that you probably *could* briteforce it if you're powerful enough, partially because that's often what Dhar is about, but it's dangerous and wasteful; it's definitely *more* of a skill and knowing the differences, interacting with the relevant forces appropriately, and so on.

I know there's such thing in the lore as undead plants.

What differentiates Strigoi vampires and Ghouls? I'm having trouble conceptualizing it.

Ghouls are actually still alive - they're human, just twisted by cannibalism. That's why they and their cousin Crypt Horrors (which are ghouls given a portion of a vampire's blood and twisted into an abomination constantly being drawn towards death) are so valuable - they are servants of vampires that are not repelled by the magical barriers around Morr's Gardens that are meant to keep out undead.

Strigoi have been twisted by feeding on the blood of the recently dead and ghouls (which is far better, but still low quality), but they are undead. They are also naturally much stronger and smarter.

It is worth noting that vampires are undead in the traditional sense, but in warhammer fantasy fluff the distinction between vampires and undead is important. Vampires have sealed their souls away from the aethyr/chaos, but still retain all their faculties. Regular undead are basically just hollow shells, whereas ghouls, as you say, are simply degenerate and debased humans that have been corrupted by mystery meat.

What's the ingame/lore amount of time it should take for any spellcaster to learn a new spell?

Strigoi are supremely powerful vampire nobles who have become increasingly paranoid and unhinged, and become twisted from starvation and shitty living conditions. Ghouls are just fucked-up humans that have degenerated, and the reason the strigoi favour them in particular is really just because they hang around graveyards and battlefields. They're both deluded and they're both scavenge to survive, but that's where thesimilarities end.

It rather depends. Zombies and Skeletons are hollow shells. But ghosts are the opposite.
All undead lack some part of their living self, though. I guess if they didn't they'd just be alive.

Well, both became corrupted by dark magic due to consuming the dead. They've got that in common.

If I remember right, most ghost-types only have the strongest parts of their personality.

Yeah, they have emotion and a soul, but not a conscience or reason.
It also depends on how strong the soul is - There are spectres that are almost an entire disembodied person and there are poltergeists which are just a lingering remnant of anger.

>tfw I was thinking of selling my copy of the Liber Necris on eBay until I saw this...
Sucks that they don't make fluff books anymore, which makes the choices all the more agonizing.

Is there any reason to use anything other than a shield or buckler in the offhand? From what I understand, having something in each hand grants a free parry but you still attack with one weapon. Unless you have ambidextrous, a second hand weapon will be less accurate and won't deal increased damage and non hand weapons will both be less accurate and won't hit as hard. There doesn't seem to be any reason to use an offhand that isn't a shield or buckler.

>Elf souls into Waystones or eaten by Slaanesh

Uhh we don't allow End Times here.

>Vlad, Neferata
>level 3
>Mannfred
>level 4
>Mannfred would need a tutor

This homebrew is almost done. I just need one more negative mark for both Gunndred and Handrich. Any advice?

Can't have been more than two centuries, Asavar Kul was also the Everchosen so he should've had the treasures before.

Assuming we're talking about WFRP 2e, yeah, dual-wielding is effectively pointless.
Personally I quite like that because it's never really been a thing in history, but dual-wielding is relatively common in the tabletop so I could see how it might be annoying.

I'll say though that daggers get a lot of use as off-hand weapons in my games just because almost everyone has one to hand at all times as opposed to something bulky like a shield.

Stats don't reflect canon.

Neferata knows more about necromancy than anyone other than Nagash and Arkhan.
Vlad learned directly from her.

Mannfred learned from independant research alone, none of which involved the masters of the craft outside of ET continuity. He's just a really good wizard, but skill in using magic doesn't equate to knowing more complex spells and definitely doesn't equate to creating unique undead that you can't just bomf up in the middle of a battle. Its even canon that Mannfred uses more Zombies, the kindergarten level undead creation.

Archaon was the first to have access to all of the treasures as far as I know.

That's not End Times lore. Elves being Slaanesh vore bait above all other races just like Eldar is 8e lore, but otherwise that's been in place since the beginning of High Elf lore. End Times added or changed nothing regarding that.

This is true. Its part of GW Sueing him up, since Archaon was the only Everchosen to gather all the items the true Evechosen has to have. Which makes all the others not actually Everchosen any more than a Champion is a Daemon Prince, but GW can't call him the greatest Everchosen if he's the only one so they handwave it.

8e fluff is End Times fluff, it existed solely to faciliate changes that were necessary for the End Times, such as changes to Archaon or making elves lose their souls to Slaanesh and having to use "spirit stones".

I agree, but it's not going to be much of a treasure hunt if the previous everchosen had all the gear in one place when he died.

That and two of treasures were created by previous everchosen.

What about making it that wielding an additional weapon that is not a shield or buckler causes the player to make an extra attack whenever they make a standard or swift attack, but the player must divide his attacks between the weapon with any left over going to the weapon of his choice? Main Gauche's and Punch Daggers can be used either way.

So Mordheim is a daily deal on Steam at $9

how is it? any DLC that is must buy?

That's possible. I think you'd have to think very carefully about how you balanced it though. It would make two-handed weapons even more useless than they already are for instance.

That's cute, you fucking retard.

Elf souls dwelling in Waystones to be safe from Slaanesh and using Spirit Stones is pre-8e lore. The ONLY 8e change was Slaanesh automatically consuming all souls not protected in this way barring those taken by Ereth Khial. But hilariously even End Times ignored that when Eltharion's ghost returned.

What if it's combined with this homebrew I made?

Yes but prepare for frustration. The AI is stupid and the given estimated success for actions is a lie.

Not mandatory, although the Smuggler or Globadier are fun additions and you need to buy any non-core Warbands you want to play. But since each is a time investment, you will probably only ever buy the ones you really want to play.

Post your WFRP character art while the mods snooze.

Advice on artifacts, enchanted items, and magical arms and armor? Was planning a treasure hunt soon and besides boring as gold I don't know what else to give them but a sleeping strigoi in a coffin

Is there a book that helps with creating these?

Also they work together from time to time.

I have art from the BATTLE OF BLACK FIRE PASS

Tomorrow Lizardmen! So excited!

Say what?

I want Frogmen!

Best thing I've heard all week.

This,

It's WFG ie. Warhammer Fantasy in all forms.

Can somebody please summarize what happened to Bretonnia? I'm not talking about AoS, I mean when GW discontinued Bretonnia, was there a lore reason? Thinking of making a Mordheim warband of Bretonnian peasants or maybe squires (which is apparently not very lore friendly?) but what is the state of Bretonnia in the time period of Mordheim?

There was no reason that Bretonnia couldn't have carried over to AoS in the 'story', they dropped them because all their models were old, they needed a huge overhaul and smegmarines kind of took their place thematically as an army of knights.

Mordheim is about 2300IC I think so it will be business as usual for them.

Thanks. So is Bretonnia still alive in the lore then (pre AoS)? Or did they die off or something? I don't know much at all about the lore, I was just curious about it today and figured I'd ask you guys.

Bretonnia only died when the End Times killed everyone off.

Okay thanks. Much appreciated.

end times never happened. youre talking about a different setting/universe

Posting here as well.

What's the final verdict on Total Warhammer? Is it worth buying?

Should I wait for the inevitable sale when the next one/expansion pack/DLC/whatever it is comes out?

For a Warhammer fan I would say it's a must have, a lot of the TW fan base say it's a good one as well, much better than the last 2.

Core game is worth it, race pack DLCs are all overpriced, lords pack DLCs are all worth it if you play those factions.

Remember: You don't need any DLC to play against DLC factions and units, so only buy factions you actually want to play.

As for the models, have a look at Perry's Agincourt box set, that should include everything you need for a Mordheim band without having to buy separate models.

If you want the Old World races just buy TW Warhammer 1 and the first DLC is a free add-on that lets you fight the New World Races.

If you like the New World races then do the exact opposite because TW Warhammer 2 is getting a free DLC that lets you fight the Old World.

Are either worth buying?

Answer these first: ever play a total war game before? do you like grand strategy? does your computer have good hardware?

If any of those questions are "no" then you may not like it. Total war games are unique but very fun to play. The battles are great if your computer can handle them, and the modding community adds a lot of flavor once the vanilla game loses its luster. The developers are listening to the community and are splitting up legendary lords so if a buddy wants to do a co-op campaign with you, you can BOTH be Empire humans. Or Bretonnians. Or Undead. Or whatever. Together. Just fucking the world up, stopping Chaos, halting Green Skin hordes, burning Dwarven grudge books, and shit stomping knife-ears in their forests.

Plus you can rename units, so you can go full autist and craft an army all your own if that tickles your fancy

I wanna give fluffy necromantic scratches behind the ears.

>Youre talking about a different setting/universe
No

nah he's right. it's basically a reboot

more of a timeskip

I just wish that I didn't need a mod to fix that shit where your total skill points are one less than your level.

you're talking about Warhammer: The End Times, which is a prelude to Warhammer: Age of Sigmar.

Which together with 8th Ed, is a spinoff loosely based on the lore of Warhammer Fantasy Battles

Separate timeline is about right, there are a few.
Oldhammer (3rd and earlier)
The Storm of Chaos timeline (proper wfb where chaos lost)
WFRP timeline
and the End Times timeline.

bruh

Look, I dislike End Times as a whole myself and don't really enjoy talking about it - and even then, what's there to talk about now that it's all over? - but it's not really a spinoff. It's set in the Warhammer world, and despite it's blatant transgressions of lore, it keeps to like 80% of what's already there, and we know it's supposed to be the same setting.

I'd rather think of it as an alternate timeline that I don't have to accept, just like Storm of Chaos if that isn't your cup of tea.

chill brahs, I don't care enough about ET or AoS to clearly define it's position in the Setting, I was just taking a piss at it

Why she is so smug?

Not sure where you are getting smug, she looks pretty pissed. Like she just found out she had to eat a bowl of end times shit.

You just need to get the Crown of Domination and have Be'lakor crown you with it to be Everchosen, you dum-dums. The other treasures are just extra bonuses.

She's beach body ready in May.

she doesn't look very smug to me either

more like a frown

Too bad she will always be this pale.

give heureka miniatures a look

fireforge foot seargeants for men at arms and frostgrave soldiers for peasantry would work too.

>Elf souls dwelling in Waystones to be safe from Slaanesh and using Spirit Stones is pre-8e lore.

No it's not.

Doesn't Naggaroth always have horrible weather anyway?

Also, that reminds me:

>bad guy factions (Chaos, Dark Eldar, Vampire Counts, Beastmen)
>always sabotaging themselves, having inter-faction warfare or only strongest wins, barely any sort of sense of economy or even unity
>somehow always have large, surprisingly loyal armies to throw at the good guys

>good guy factions (Empire, High Elves, Dwarves, etc)
>tend to have fairly united lands and common causes against foes, functioning and thought out economies and trade
>always on the defensive and never managing to defeat their disorganized enemies, sometimes refuse to work together despite all sense

What's the deal?

Mordheim is 1999.

Slaanesh pre 8th Ed was mainly known for corrupting Humans.

I may misremember it now, but I think the soul slurping off the tap was directly imported from 40k and didn't exist in that form before.

Kinda irrelevant since the only purpose of it was to facilitate a fat slaanesh sitting in a cave(that existed in the nothing)? Jesus this whole thing is so retarded just thinking about it makes my head hurt.