How would you use these symbols in your campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XKeI1xbJNtw
scp-wiki.net/scp-series
scp-wiki.net/scp-682
scp-wiki.net/black-white-black-white-black-white-black-white-black-white
scp-wiki.net/scp-2521
lifeboat.com/ex/warning.signs.for.tomorrow
scp-wiki.net/scp-261
scp-wiki.net/scp-914
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=Paranormal Pictograms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And these?

...A game about people hunting for spoopy monsters?

Yeah, but I'm wondering how people would use them in creative ways with your players.

Those look, in context of Jailers, like the signs made by anomalous entities hiding from the SCP Foundation.

They are from the serpents hand, I think. A splinter of the foundation that sells/uses SCPs for power and profit.

Living Graffiti SCP

>They look like dogs
I don't know why but that's the scariest one to find.

What the hell is SCP?

Is this a game i never heard about?

Not necessarily those in particular, but I've wanted to use similar symbols for a particular magic item. Only the wearer can see the symbols, but they grant them supernatural knowledge, being able to see locked doors, warning them about danger, etc. (once they know what each means) but its actually fueled by a demon, who will eventually start to try to mess with them.

youtube.com/watch?v=XKeI1xbJNtw

>Players delve through dungeon.
>Previous explorers left signs.
>Players follow signs to avoid monsters.
>Signs slowly become less coherent.
>Signs start to become completely contradictory.
>Players find a room covered in "Symbols Have Been Compromised" sign, and bloodstains on the floor.

You're thinking of the Chaos Insurgency. The Serpent's Hand are a loosely-affiliated group of cabals, gods, mystics, ancient cults, esoteric librarians, and other groups who use occult power to protect mankind from the supernatural.

Collaborative writing... thing. Make creepypastas in a universe where an organisation exists to put the creepypastas in big, big heavy boxes and weld them shut. As well as some other organisations that want to do other things to the creepypastas but they're not important.

A lot of it is shit, but that's true of anything. Keep poking through and you'll find some gold eventually. Or an amusingly shaped turd.

Do not be taken alive

ah shit

Like implies, I'd use them as marks left over by previous groups. Would probably be best for CoC, though you could use it with anything involving magic/monsters/dungeons/etc.

Yes, thank you, I get them confused. There is also something called the wandering library, right? An interdimensional library that all members of the foundation are banned from due to the foundation driving a semi through it.

scp-wiki.net/scp-series

I think "682" would be a better warning of a hostile being

scp-wiki.net/scp-682

]scp-wiki.net/black-white-black-white-black-white-black-white-black-white

Probably my favorite piece on the site.

>scp-wiki.net/black-white-black-white-black-white-black-white-black-white
This kind of shit is exactly what makes me think SCP stuff would be great for Technocracy games.

Don't forget how crazy-compartmentalised knowledge is in the Foundation. Most of them will have never heard of any other SCP than those they directly work with.
And you don't send the people who have access to the full list -even if it is censored- on field missions if you can avoid it.

The first time I saw that image on here, someone came up with a scenario;

PCs investigate dead person. Find them with some notes on the symbols, translating some symbols the dead person left in blood during his last moments. There is one symbol he drew on a single wall over and over (as if he really needed someone to know), but the notes have no translation.

They retrace the dead guy's previous movements, find more symbols and more notes translating a few more symbols.

The translations are accurate, the symbols are useful in avoiding traps and finding secret doors, so the dead guy's trail is followed back to his original hideout. But the PCs never find the translation to that one repeated symbol on the wall in the notes they find.

Finally, at the hideout, they find signs of a struggle...and a full translation guide for the symbols.

What was the symbol the vict drew on that wall over and over?

"Symbols have been compromised"

But it's too late, they're in too deep.

Cue the ambush.

I guess you're right. Gotta keep all those memetic SCPs on lockdown somehow

That's awesome, I'm stealing this for my numenera game

The Wanderer's Library is a parallel universe, or wormhole, or god, or SOMETHING, that the Serpent's Hand uses/serves. Like many things about the Hand, it's not very clear what it is, beyond a repository of occult knowledge that is probably sentient, if not sapient or omniscient.

Had to look it up again, but I think Delta Green would be the best one. It's a sup for CoC. You're a super secret group that "protects" everyone else by doing the nasty shit no one else can do.

I like how they're sort of meta-aware of how samey some of the SCPs can feel with the don't follow the little girl one.

I can't help but wonder what the hell must those MTFs face to have to cook up symbols to warn stuff like "pray while shooting", "alternate reality entered", "do not fall asleep here", etc.

And where the symbols are put. For example, the "hostile being" one. It is likely that the being is gone.

"Don't give up"

>A lot of it is shit
That's a pretty big understatement. The grand majority of it is shit. I'd almost be willing to write the whole thing off as garbage if it wasn't for the tiny handful of really old entries that were actually decent.

The "Symbols have been compromised" one is probably the worst. What the hell are they facing where something like that is considered a basic and reasonable field code.

Look how overcomplicated these signs are compared to .

>Serpent's Hand
>protect mankind
No.

>there are other groups
Oh for fuck's sake. SCP was cringy enough without even more cringy edge lord Gary Stu "rogue factions" shitting it up even more.

I kind of like the idea of this setting:

>There is a HUGE super dungeon
>lots of active parties of adventurers in it at once, though they rarely run into each other
>the dungeon is in the middle of nowhere so they all hail from different lands and speak different languages
>the groups communicate asynchronously by leaving hobo markings throughout the dungeon, especially regarding safe/unsafe areas, clean water, etc. Groups spend weeks or more in this dungeon, so this kind of information is really helpful.

>more intelligent denizens of the dungeon start to learn what the code means
>dungeon becomes living hell as adventuring groups are lead to their doom or slaughtered in their sleep after being tricked by false markings
>entire system falls apart, no one trusts anyone anymore

>group starts to recognize the different groups by the color and style of their markings
>decides to just follow one group
>comes across a lot of rotting bodies in a room with no markings beyond

I bet dickass adventurers would just write "Try jumping" next to every ledge anyway, so it'd never work

I guess that's the serpents hand's MO, because their boss is a library and they need to show that they are smart

>symbols have been compromised

>the flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out

>Weakness: Holding with both hands
>Amazing chest ahead
>Tongue but hole

>SCP
Ugh. Use these instead. They're setting-nonspecific and not associated with bad creppypasta.

These seem like they'd be a lot harder to use in most settings.

They're shit though. They're overly complicated, highly situational and don't fulfull the same niche as hobo sign.

This is bad icon design, the level of detail is all over the place and most of them are not easy to identify from a distance

But I literally already posted this image?

Bethesda made some good signs for the railroad

Dark Brotherhood too

That's Thieves Guild...

scp-wiki.net/scp-2521
^

Click the goddamn link you won't be disappointed.

These ones are quite a bit less shit, IMO. I quite like the antimatter warning sign.

lifeboat.com/ex/warning.signs.for.tomorrow

Clever, damned clever.

this

>they look like dogs
What the utter fuck would you have to be dealing with for this to be a standard symbol?

Nigga I don't pay attention to either of those

Well played.

While we're here, what's your favorite SCP? This is mine: scp-wiki.net/scp-261

scp-wiki.net/scp-914

Nothing is more fun than utility SCPs.

I love any SCP with a long test log

Not too long ago we had a thread about paranormal pictographs where we made up signs for each other to try and interpret. I'd tried in that thread to build a pictograph system, but it didn't come to anything much.

This image, for instance, was meant to represent the idea of a "holy place under spiritual protection."

Seems pretty natural, good job!

Use it for a game with shitty science nerds led by a group of special snowflakes who are so lax in their rules yet so strict that you can't really do much and are so fucking circlejerky that any attempts to make something new that doesn't adhere to their cliquey standards gets you banned.

>checked
and keked

My only criticism is that looks hard to draw in a hurry

Thanks. It was a good thread: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=Paranormal Pictograms

This one was meant to represent: "many/varied dangers ahead," where a circle with an arrow atop it represents the viewer or viewers.

I remember a set of hobo signs for a "moon independance front" in one similar thread. Do someone have it?

That's a legitimate bit of criticism, yeah. I could have stood to simplify it a bit. I might have been trying to hard to make the designs look "iconic."

Here, have some hobo signs.

Have some more.

Here's a simplification that only took a moment.

What was that? You wanted more hazard signs?

The number was added because the table ended up getting used to RNG two or three warning signs together to spark interesting combination items.

What's the story behind this?

Y'know what's rude? Having an idea that people like then posting a draft for one of the mods to read, get shot down by him after it got called "too boring", and THEN watching as the people who had supported you follow suit.
1930s hobos wrote the symbols in various stops and places near train tracks

Well, what was it about?

A fantastic SCP outside the first few hundred? Amazing.

A shower curtain that caused people behind one side to switch with an alternate universe version of themself whenever someone opens it from the outside.

I always wanted to write an SCP that was a TV that could interact through the 4th wall. Like, if you told a character in the first in a horror movie that the killer was about to jump out behind them, they might react to you and dodge the killer, and maybe even call the cops, and the plot of the movie would change entirely so that it would turn into a dark humor buddy cop movie or something from there on out. I had some different test planned out too to see how different genres and stuff would change. Lastly there was a note banning cartoons, after an event where Bugs Bunny got out of the TV and they had to chase him around the facility like a episode of Looney Toons.

Lol, if it was written well you would have something hilarious on your hands

That sounds kinda silly but has potential for great shenanigans.

This one also has great potential.

No reason you can't make a draft or something!

>magnificent chest ahead

Well that's fucking scary.

i don't get it

Look at the symbols carefully. Words are dangerous.

And we can't explain it or we get fookin' yoinked faggot

>0-5
hey now, slow down there buddy

What do you mean? Its not like I'm a d class that got internet access or anything...

>scp-wiki.net/scp-2521
first set of pictures, you and 4 survived asshat.

Yeah that makes sense.

I was looking for some universal, or at least we'll known, symbols for fantasy rpgs.
Alignments, schools of magic, weapons, armor, elements, possibly races or creatures.

I found a few, but they were just people applying terms to zodiac symbols as they saw fit.
The idea being that the player would see it and immediately know what it means, rather than have to learn it, ideally.
I could make up my own, but I'd prefer something with more weight than my own scribbling.

>53187835
Funny thing is, that user would have been fine. The SCP would have just grabbed the computer.. or since it's on the internet I guess a Veeky Forums server and then disappeared with it.
Unless he read it aloud of course.

He probably freaked out and is now quivering under his desk