Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Gorum Edition: Does your character like war? Or is the previous statement wrong, and your character LOVES WAR?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/rod-of-abrupt-hexes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Either got the quicken the spell or get a rod to quicken the hex.

Quickened hexes are dumb strong.

With it you can:
>round 1 Evil Eye + Misfortune + Cackle
>round 2 Demoralize + Ill Omen
>they now have -6 to saves and roll 3 times, take worst.

War is a business. It's ugly, it's horrible, and he'd give it up if he could. But it's what makes money.

Best just to look on the bright side and enjoy the company he's got while he's out on the battlefield. They seem like good people.

I just can't get into Gorum. I find him thematically boring, his alignment is totally unappealing, and he doesn't even have any interesting relationships with other deities that might redeem him.

What hexes are good if you aren't really a witch a-la hexcrafter ect?

I'm to run my first Pathfinder adventure 7 days from now. We are using the "Carrion Crown" adventure path, got any advice for me ? Players are all new to Pathfinder but are good gamers that actually read the rule books.

Believe in yourself and don't be afraid to make shit up on the fly

Pic related is bros with Gorum, incidentally.

I find Gorum interesting but for reasons I don't think Paizo intended. His depictions are extremely inconsistent even for Golarion deities, and sometimes he comes off as more Lawful Good than actual LG gods. His followers worst enemies being each other opens up some interesting space too, as well as his somewhat mercenary relationship with other gods.

I'm sure it's just poor writing by Paizo, but I really like multiple interpretations of a god.

How do I maximum steal with a gestalt character?

I've already got Unchained Rogue (Filcher, Hidden Blade) on one side of the gestalt, so I'm running off Sleight of Hand to power my steal combat maneuvers instead of CMB, as well as Sleight of Hand/Appraise bonuses from the wyvaran greed trait.

What other classes would do well to maximize bonuses to steal maneuvers? I'd like to have Dex and Cha as my primary stats.

At the moment I'm thinking maybe Fighter (Lore Warden) for the CMB bonuses and the maxed BAB, and then after level 7 or 8 (weapon training, +4 bonuses, steal benefits) switching to a different pair of classes.

Gorum makes sense as a god, similarly to how the Orc Daedric Prince from elder scrolls makes snse

Why are so many of the Serpent's Skull applications clearly jokes or dumb ideas?

Because Rory deserves shitty memes

So Literal Satan, one of the other worst deities, is his pal? Not really a selling point, Holmes.

I can't emphasize the importance of this enough, /pfg/: PM your crush.
There is NO REASON to sit on your hands and hope for the best, when you could be putting yourself out there and making a real connection. If it doesn't work out, at least you'll know! Uncertainty will destroy you, but PMing your crush will set you free.

>Papa Asmodeus
>One of the worst deities

>I can't emphasize the importance of this enough, /pfg/: PM your crush.

Is this fucking high school? Are you all children? Holy shit.

How do you quicken hexes? You do realize that metamagic rods won't work on those, right?

I did, and I couldn't be happier.
Though I still get all a-flutter when it comes close to game-time, 'cause I always wonder what sorts of character moments might arise!

Honestly, have you seen the posts here, user?

Any cute greentext? Maybe some testimonials will encourage shy Anons.

You use Rod of Abrupt Hexes:
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/rod-of-abrupt-hexes/

>d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/rod-of-abrupt-hexes/
>75k
>doesn't even work with advanced or major hexes
Ouch. That' pretty damn expensive.

The central antagonist of the campaign I have planned is trying to enact Odo Nobunaga's "One World by force of arms."

So yeah.

I'm not even bothered by the lewdposting or the meme games, it's this cutesy shit I keep seeing that just outright confuses me. It's just impossible imagining a grown man typing that post. Maybe I'm getting too old.

>player who joined a game I was in started PMing me about a year ago and we've been best friends ever since

Well, there's not much to tell yet, but RPing some back-and-forth IC barbs is pretty fun, especially when it can feed right into talking backstory and business.

This is Blingmaker again isn't it.

Question for people who know Mystjc a lot better than I do:

Is there any reason to not remove their dumbass recovery/maneuver granting mechanic in-favor of a normal one?

Maybe you're just new.

Is it too busy to gestalt a full caster with an initiator? Is that just too much different stuff, most of which won't get used in encounters?

For context, I'm thinking Warlord||Oracle.

The reason is that it's strong and some players like it.
If you would give them a normal one then make it free action like bushi, at least.

But if it's Blingmaker, who could it be?! I hope it's the cute one (Viviana) chatting up one of those handsome hunks.

Asmodeus is one of the worst deities you contrarian.

Full caster/full initiator is the classic cheese combo of 'can be a lot of fun but GM will keep an eye on you to make sure you're not powergaming because it's probably the strongest type of gestalt combo available'

You lean on initiating to carry you in combat then save all your spells to warp the narrative outside of it.

Nah, I don't think that's it.

Depends. Initiators can make a pretty damn good passive side if you don't need swift actions and focus your maneuvers on counters(and boosts, to an extent).

Asmodeus is fucking awful. You idiots just pretend to like him because he's so fucking awful that it tickles your memebone or some shit.

Even Zon-Zon is a better Lawful Evil god, and he's a fucking joke!

I wanted to be a Warlord first and foremost. I found Oracle because I adore the flavor of the Mysteries and Curses, and some of the Revelations had neat synergy, including one that helps me get rid of pesky Dexterity. I'm absolutely fine with using spells outside of combat only, except in crazy emergency situations.

>You idiots just pretend to like him
Actually, yes. Only a minority here *really* likes Asmodeus, but he's so unabashedly evil that it's impossible to hate him. It's like how 40k shitposters pretend to react violently to "heresy"--it's just to keep the memes alive and give themselves an excuse to shitpost.

So how is the Inquisitor class? Was debating making a Living Grimoire for an upcoming campaign a friend of mine is prepping.

Saving all your spells for out of combat is exactly what makes it so strong.
But yep, it's a lot of fun if your DM trusts you.

Inquisitor is fucking great.

Living Grimoire is pretty bad, though.

>God of pragmatism and playing it smart
>God of properly rewarding one's minions
>God that puts Order before any of his evil plans, purging demons and worse always coming before any interests in messing with the forces of Good
>God of utter and complete smugness
>Awful

It's solid enough

Sorry, I just like the idea of beating people over the head with a book.

user, he's the god of Tyranny, Slavery, and Extortion. He's a bad influence, plain and simple. The existence of worse beings doesn't magically absolve him of guilt.

He's just a jerk, and he needs to go. Let someone like Abadar or Torag take the reins and manage his assets, but give Asmodeus the boot.

Are we even sure Viviana swings that way? She's keeping her options aaaaawfully limited if she's only interested in men, considering the eligible bachelorettes strutting their stuff.

The thing is that a sometimes you don't want a relateable villain.

You don't want an antagonistic victim of circumstance.

Sometimes you just want motherfucking Skeletor.

I don't see why anyone would want the two harlots. Franze sounds interesting, though. Aren't they both redeemed/former criminals?

'NYAAH

She mentioned having been with women before in the first session.

But Urgathoa, Norgorber, Rovagug, and Lamashtu are all better Pointlessly Evil villains, since Asmodeus is still shackled by his idiotic "Muh Law Preserves the Great Wheel" garbage. He can never be Skeletor.

>A Lawful Evil god being Evil makes him bad
epic

I've got a weird time with Blingmaker. I'm not bothered by it at all but I can't get excited over the shipping even though I'm a shipperfag. It's like, I know between the AP and the players posting that people will definitely pair off and there's some amount of planning on how it'll happen and that makes me care less.

It's like the difference between high school gossip about the regular suspects dating each other in their groups vs the gossip about whether or not those two kids in your science class are dating or just friends.

Yes, but he's still openly, cacklingly evil.

But he's the kind of evil that lets you cause your own downfall so when it happens you can't really get too mad at him since it was you being an idiot that led to this outcome.

And then he just rests his chin on the back of his wrist and looks at you, all smug-like.

I miss when Urgathoa was an interesting example of a bad deity that gives people a compelling reason to worship them. Before they added all the baby eating and shit.

>Tyranny, Slavery
Alright, he's lawful evil, we both know it.
>Extortion
That's pure defamation. Asmodeus prides himself in his contracts.
>He's a bad influence
Oh, like helping keep the Worldwound contained? Or being one of the people that can convince Gorum of something? Or one of the guys that gives Iomedae council? Oh, and it's Hell that is keeping Cheliax from collapsing onto itself and drowning the whole region into chaos.
>Abadar, Torag
Both have other interests than the law which they place at a higher priority, namely Cities+Moneymaking and the Forge. Only Asmodeus can utterly dedicate himself to the enforcement of the law.

[5:22 PM] Taveena: There's going to be a public 'playtest' of the errata, more to catch anything we missed than an actual balance pass. There's no intention to ever do grapple maneuvers for reasons that I can't remember and wasn't involved in the decision-making process of.
[5:22 PM] Taveena: Currently there's an effort to put up all the non-maneuver errata real soon, as it's actually done and shows we haven't been sitting with our thumbs up our asses for two years.
[5:22 PM] Taveena: Only most of the two years.
[5:24 PM] Taveena: I'm finally working on errataing the actual maneuvers. (Other than BB/PF). Presently up to Endurance of the Strong. 3289 words into it, and still 7 and a third discs to go.
[5:24 PM] Taveena: this is not a small project. u_u

I can never tell if /co/ is SJW or not.

>I know between the AP and the players posting that people will definitely pair off and there's some amount of planning on how it'll happen

How can you even know that? How well do you know these people? Or is it mostly the adventure? (I've never played it...)

I thought people liked Living Grimoire? What's wrong with it? I've never played it myself.

Nope. Excuses, excuses. A true hero would destroy both greatest and intermediate evils. You can't forgive Asmodeus just because there are things that are arguably worse out there. That's not even logical, and it certainly isn't Justice.

Wait, wait, I thought she always dug the cannibal experience. She's always been associated with ghouls, and they eat people, user.

Hey. I wanna play a fighter in pathfinder, but everyone says they're underpowered compared to a cleric or even a hunter. I had an idea for a character I like - I built a "half-ogre" race using the race building rules (because the vanilla races are shit when it comes to physical bonuses) who is Large, gets +4 Con +4 Str and -2 Dex and is Hardy and Healthy using 20RP. Is this okay or is it broken?

My plan is to run a 2-handed half-ogre fighter. I've heard fighters are underpowered/less useful than other classes. I want to be capable, but the only non-magical class that's even able to do things something besides beat things is Mutagen Fighter, and that's only because they can have wings.

I really like Titan Fighters too but their rules are garbage. I heard about an old 3.5 feat called "Monkey Grip". My plan is to ask the GM if I can have this as a bonus feat at level 7ish, which would let me pack a 4d6 Greatsword. Is this okay or would it be broken? It doesn't seem too bared compared to the aforementioned Mutagen Fighter, but I haven't seen a pathfinder game in action myself so I don't know. How does it compare with damage dealt by other classes at a similar level?

Any advice would be appreciated

Advanced Weapon and Armor Training helps Fighter a whole bunch, thankfully, so they're not nearly as bad as they used to be. I would strongly consider not fussing with the Monkey Grip or an adaptation thereof, and instead just focusing on stalwarts like Power Attack.

Except he isn't Good, doesn't pretend to be, and neither am I. Good is a fraud and a hack, something passed down by some overdeity who just decided that this is going to be Good now.

There's definitely a population of those types on /co/, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Gareth (and I think also Forrest) have talked extensively about why grappling doesn't fit with maneuvers.

There are /some/ maneuvers that interact with grappling, but not enough conceptual space to make a whole discipline about them which fits with what the PoW team wants initiating to be.

>Good is a fraud and a hack, something passed down by some overdeity who just decided that this is going to be Good now

user, you're drunk. The wicked must be defeated to protect the innocent. This is basic stuff.

Alright guys
If your character is in a world where androids exist, how would he answer this question?

That's not how it works in Pathfinder, and nobody is truly innocent, and sometimes people are forced to choose between themselves and another through no fault of their own.

>That's not how it works in Pathfinder
There's no Justice in Pathfinder? You're confusing me with this bizarre generalizations!
>nobody is truly innocent
See answer to above
>sometimes people are forced to choose between themselves and another through no fault of their own.
If it's not their fault, they aren't wicked villains like you, user. They're your victims!

>A true hero would destroy
If he could. Asmodeus is the biggest and ancient chessmaster, constantly altering the delicate power balance in Golarion without making it all fall apart. He knows the hero will be coming, and knows precisely how to fool his attempts or to give him a reason not to do so.
And remember, while it is the first betrayal what made Asmodeus evil, he did it to stop the biggest war amongst the gods. With Ihys's death and his retreat to Hell, peace amongst the gods returned, if temporarily, and such a massive war never came to be again.
Asmodeus is not to be forgiven, but accepted. Because it would be utterly anathema to his nature to express regret over his own actions, and thus would never ask for pardon.

All in all, the hype seems to have made Blingmaker an automatic dud. It won't ever be as exciting as it was in the application stage.
The AP doesn't actually have any waifus, so we have nobody to gossip and shitpost about.
It's all wilderness hex crawling so there's no community to gossip and shitpost about.
The PCs all seem like they have this strange tension between them because they've been overshipped and it's impossible to tell what's shitposting and what's actual player-on-player flirting.
Half evil characters means they're probably going to be at each other's throats once the kingdom-building starts up.
The location is so bog-standard and boring that there's no chance of extraordinary circumstances shaking up the group dynamic.

It's a campaign built on memes. A house of cards.
Maybe the GM can save it. Maybe.
But I doubt it.

>There's no Justice in Pathfinder? You're confusing me with this bizarre generalizations!
No there isn't, there's Good which is simply defined.

I don't personally know any of them but a couple post in character around here and talk about the shipping game. I've played the AP and it's meant to run over a long timespan and assumes at least one PC will be married, most likely to another PC.

I'm not opposed to shipposting or Blingmaker coverage or anything, it just doesn't get me interested like Valimir does. Everybody pairing up with each other seems like a foregone conclusion and I expect the ships to establish themselves really quickly.

Wasn't PLD "hyped"? And iirc WuBu fucked with the setting a lot anyay so eh

lock does the same thing conceptually

Cheers. I was planning on taking those anyway, I just figured fighters got so many feats one which lets me live out my dreams of squishing people with a giant stone sword was worth taking.

>The PCs all seem like they have this strange tension between them because they've been overshipped and it's impossible to tell what's shitposting and what's actual player-on-player flirting.

Where are you finding tension? Are there logs?

What the hell does overshipped even mean? Don't the big names in games like RotJR still get their flirt on despite intense saturation of shipping?

PLD is garbage and driving that garbage out was good for /pfg/

>driving that garbage out
Except you didn't, and you never will, so deal with it. In fact it feels like people are talking more about PLD than any other game.

H-hey, I have fun playing!

I'm happy to have games again...

It's overshipped because there's one player in particular in that group who cannot shut the fuck up about themselves. Pay attention and you'll notice pretty quick.

I would attribute most of the ship posting to the players.

So...he's justified in maintaining his tyrannical power because no one has stopped him yet? That's a little silly.

I'm glad to hear user, don't let these jerks stop you from having a good time!

>Half evil characters means they're probably going to be at each other's throats once the kingdom-building starts up.

They gonna butcher that LG fuccboi

I just hope they all end up happy. Shipping around /pfg/ games is fucking savage and knowing that the PCs are probably going to start infighting over who gets who and fighting proxy wars in the thread scares me.

And, like pointed out, they're half evil. Evil PCs might get in on the basis of being good teammates, but their players will always, always, ALWAYS find a reason to stay evil. That gets tiresome when you have to play your whole game expecting a knife in the back RIP Sigmund

I'm glad you have fun playing, but I don't want to see your shit ERP logs, or Vult's egostroking in this thread

See, that's the thing though.

He doesn't commit the evil. He provides you the means to commit the evil unto yourself.

And in all honesty, the world is probably better for having him in it than not. He wants the world to keep on ticking along just as much as you do. Rubadub was a perfect example.

No, he's justified because do you really think you can do a better job? Heroes like you always think "well the person in charge is BAD" but you never think "but can I do any better?"

>Everybody pairing up with each other seems like a foregone conclusion and I expect the ships to establish themselves really quickly.

Who do you think it'll be?

There is no question that only a human can know or know the answer to.

Except that his power is legitimate.
He mostly shaped an uninhabited Hell (much like other gods to their own homes), and made it a home for his servants who due to their very nature can't help but follow him.
And in most cases, those who fall into Hell do so out of their own choice, and most are related to the other archfiends and not Asmodeus himself.
Also, - As I've said, no one can beat Asmodeus at his own game.

I am way too excited for /pfg/ love triangles for it to be healthy.

So how do you know you're not a robot?

It could still be fun, certainly! If you have an accommodating DM, do it anyway!

Don't let the people here prevent you from having fun; that runs contrary to the purpose of this place and your hobby.

The distinction seems to be that RotJR has a plot structure to follow. Flirting, cute moments, and shipping still happens, but at the end of the day you still have to find out who's menacing Sandpoint, how to get to Minkai, and how to stop the Jade Regent.

Kingmaker has the conceit of being an open world where you can do whatever you want. The PCs have no time limit, no stakes beyond getting paid until they establish their kingdom, and no significant events but what happens by random chance that can influence them to develop their characters. They've got nothing to do *but* flirt.

And when they spend all their time flirting, that blossoms into drama. Game gets heated IC, it spills over into OOC, people start resenting each other, game folds up. It's as simple as that and it happens all the time.