I've been hearing a lot of anons using the term "X card" or "X-card" derisively while talking about rules lite games...

I've been hearing a lot of anons using the term "X card" or "X-card" derisively while talking about rules lite games, but I don't recall ever coming upon it anywhere else. I don't like being behind on the memes, so can anyone explain to me what it's supposed to be a reference to?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/29409389/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/37558370/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

"Being a triggered bitch" now in passive aggressive card form.

Actually, since the archive still has it.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/29409389/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/37558370/

Bascially you have an card with an X on it in the middle of the table. At any point during the game someone may tap the card to indicate that what's currently happening makes them uncomfortable. It was made for convention one-shots and things where the players don't know each other and didn't have a chance to talk about these things beforehand.

It is a reference to the X Card, an ingenious invention that takes the form of a card with an X on it. It allows you to signal that you are triggered, without having to use anything as icky and adult as, say, words and to stop others doing whatever they're doing without having to say "please" or explaining yourself.

No you havent, you just want to shitpost

What said. It's not specifically associated with rules lite games, though it does happen that many newer ones refer to it due to the general trend in newer RPGs to attempt to appeal to wider audiences, which might cause the confusion.

Like , it does have proper uses, such as when there's no time to have everyone really get to know each other and it's faster to just have someone pull it rather than derail the whole game by opening up about how their priest molested them in the third grade so they'd rather you kept them out of the church scene or something. Like , this is rarely so well explained and many rulebooks give the impression they're just meant to be used under all situations, which can create some cringy silliness because when you're dealing with long term friends it's obviously easier (and more efficient in the long run) to just talk about everyone's untouchable traumas.

Also, fun story about the only time in my gaming history a player specifically asked to stop the game because they were uncomfortable: it involved chickens. Turns out that during his tour of Afghanistan, the player had to take shelter inside a chicken coop during a bombing run or something and watched all the chickens around him exploding (which incidentally saved his life, since there were so many of them they practically formed a layer of soft armor). Ever since then he was uncomfortable imagining live chickens.

That is both hilarious and disturbing.

What a chicken

user, I've come to bargain

>impromptu poultry-based ablative armor induced ptsd
>an actual thing that happened to an actual man
War truly is hell.

I'm sorry, I just find it hilarious regardless user is almost 100% lying, why would an American soldier in Afghanistan need to hide from an AIR RAID? Who exactly was air raiding them? Al Qaeda? With what? Flying goats? All the air power was on their side

...are you implying friendly fire is NOT a major problem when it comes to the American armed forces? They bomb their own troops, they bomb their allies, they bomb civilians and sometimes they even bomb the enemy,

>sometimes they even bomb the enemy

the absolute madmen!

Is it wrong that I read this in Captain Blackadder's voice?

If it helps I actually am British.

America's new tank armor system?

Not quite as efficient as reactive plates.

Slightly tastier though

I wonder if the PTSD'd player still eats chicken.

He should.

To show respect for their sacrifice on his behalf.

Is the rule global or /v/ only?

>bombing run or something
mortar strike

X-cards are good for con games, where you've never met anyone else involved and won't see them again afterwards, but not so much for any game with people you should already know.

>this entire thread

a guy raped me and before he did he said "its about to get "X" rated in you asshole

please delete this

my dad touched me when I was younger, please do not use or refer to touch attacks

a priest fondled my balls, please do not play a cleric or anyone who believes in god

i took a bit of shrapnel to the knee in combat in afghanistan, please don't reference combat or fighting in this game

My mom used to slip xanax into my food and then jerk me off when i was half-passed out, please dont reference food or bring food or snacks or even eat food when you are near me

>this is now a thing

You can't use your words and you assume that because you are personally struggling everyone else at the table must respect your personal quibbles.

If I handed this to someone else fifteen years ago I would expect to be asked to leave the table, as I am not acting in good faith. Con play has always been cancer but I would honestly rip it up if one was handed to me, not that I expect to be handed one as I typically play benign stuff.

I used to cringe hard and I guess I still do whenever someone addresses the increasing emotional fragility of our culture as 'pussification' but I can't help but feel it's a fairly apt word for this sort of behavior.

If you do this you are wrong and bad. This is literally a 'get out of social interaction free' card and if you can't nut up and just say what's wrong then you don't need to be out in public.