EDH/Commander General

"Thug Not Hug" Edition

Previous Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/SuaNM

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
What cards in your deck were not worth the negative politics?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They'll change the multiplayer ban back when HoD launches.

Username so we can do some games when the list is fixed

So what's the chance of this ever being unbanned :^)?

Also, have you guys gotten anything in the mail today :^)?

Have you guys played around with Silas Renn at all? He was the partner I liked most from C16 and I've been trying to brew with him but not to much success. I have found that Artificer's Intuition is pretty crazy with him though.
>Play Artificer's Intuition on curve or T1 with a Mox
>Next turn pay UU and get Ring Crypt
>Play Silas and recast the artifacts I pitched
Artificer's Intuition seems really powerful, especially in EDH where it finds Moxes, Crypt, Ring and Vault. Why doesn't it see more play?

He's pretty boring with how average he is.

Him + Akiri is a great pairing. Use lots of low cmc artifacts (spellbombs OP) to pump up Akiri early game to try and get a commander damage win. If that doesn't work out, focus on Silas to recur lots of utility to clear your opponents board and stall until you get a wincon with Hellkite Tyrant, Mechanized Production, etc. Any double strike sources are valuable too.

What are your favorite sac outlets in Abzan? I'm running Ghave and I was wondering what's available.

Didn't you ask this exact question four threads ago and get multiple answers?

Ashnods Altar, Perilous Forays, Flesh-Eater Imp, Carrion Feeder, the devour 1 creature that puts a +1 counter on each creature that etbs on your side.

>Cards not worth the politics.

I play Marrow Gnawer, Its not rat tribal. Its just 30 pact rats and tutors for thrumming stone. And other combos and high value.

I can win consistently by turn 5 if left alone at the table. No one let that happen for a bit and I wasn't having fun. So I took out none of the combos and cards I wanted to play. But instead of always going for thrumming stone. Sometimes I tutor up a worse option thats more fun, so I can keep pushing advantage and not just auto win and piss people off. I still tutor for Stone when I want to win right now, but sometimes I'll tutor for tainted strike and just pretend to be putting in damage around the table with a fat rat. The deck still smashes face with relentless rats as well.

Moral of the story is don't compromise to politics. just enjoy yourself.

Does anyone have the marrow gnawer on the tidal wave of rats? I had it but lost it.

If you don't run this card in Depala Vehicles.dec, you don't know SHIT about magical cards.

>What cards in your deck were not worth the negative politics?

Blinkmoth Urn in Breya, and Havoc Festival in my OG Rakdos stax.

Chances are slim to none unless it gets errata to include artifacts. Still waiting on 6 packages to arrive but should be getting Erebos + playset of Solemn Simulacrum today

>the devour 1 creature

yeah, I've had a ton of success with Spellbombs. I wanted to try Silas solo as a stax deck with all of the B tutors and U artifact tutors and stuff like Nether Void and The Abyss

Sadistic hypnotist is insane, but it's not instant speed sadly.

I like it

Nope, I'm running a really tuned list and I'm looking for secret tech.

Let me rephrase slightly, I'm looking for combo sac outlets. Ashnods and carrion feeder are in there, flesh-eater imp seems spicy, but forays seems a little too mana intensive. I was running Yaheeni for a while but he doesn't really have added benefit when you sac N creatures.

That's amazing, thanks user I'm going to just wreck people with that.

Utopia Mycon, Mycoloth, Bloodspore Thrinax, Attrition and Perilous Forays get always shit done in my Ghave deck. Ashnod's Altar is broken as always and usually win me games but gets boring to use after a while.

Any ideas for Samut that aren't good stuff? Opened a foil at the prerelease but keep getting stuck on my build. I was considering some sort of voltron, but in color I feel like I'm just a wrorse Uril, plus Samut herself already has a ton of keywords so a lot of the value of auras will be lost.

That said, Armadillo Cloak/Loxodon Warhammer and the like are all auto in no matter the build.

Balance is incredibly unfun and absurdly powerful. It can stay banned forever.

Abusing activated abilities could be fun. Between granting haste and untapping things, there are probably some silly combos possible.

OP dedicated to the user last thread that told me to kill myself. Stop by the discord sometime for a chat, friendo.

You could say that balance is unbalanced

You should probably stop being such a faggot if you don't want people to tell you to kill yourself.

I loved that shit when I started playing

>setting a discord invite to expire

You should probably stop by the discord for a chat sometime.

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Didn't save the damn settings.

Infect/Proliferate in general

I just became number 1 priority even if I had a shit board. Only way to win is develop wide shit until you get an explosive turn with Triumph of the Hordes and kill the table that turn or with the next proliferate

Wew lad, are you really that butthurt someone told you to kys on an anonymous bengali chicken herding image board?

What is the point of group fug? I want to play gay bros with may Concordant Crossroads, Otherworld Atlas and other group boosting cards.

90's wants their joke back.

The point is secretely making it pillowfort and watch everyone else fuck up each other up.

Do you guys clean your sleeves regularly?

The point is that when you're in games with a variety of levels of power, people are going to get bored when they repeatedly lose T5 before they get their plays off. Group Hug decks should make decks stronger inversely to their base level, bringing everyone closer together.

Was pointing out I slid the discord into the OP for that friendly user from last thread. Who's mad?

>What cards in your deck were not worth the negative politics?
literally none because playing good cards wil help you win and I don't listen to bitches

Slow down there, edgelord. Someone's going to get cut on all that edge.

>drop rhystic study turn 3
>get targeted by the group
>you guys are just being bitches

I'm sure this obvious bait will get plenty of replies.

The fuck are you trying to say?

>not being a cuck is edgy
sorry timmy this is a johnny/spike format just like all the others

What about including cards that impose limits on the bonuses? Rites of Flourishing with Mana Breach? Howling MIne and Arcane Laboratory? You get the idea. I want other players to ramp into control.

a three mana sphere of resistance doesnt draw hate mostly because you can negate the effect by having your opponent draw a card
I guess I could have said "i dont play with bitches" instead of "I dont listen to bitches"

Conversly
>play rhystic study turn 1 off mana crypt
>no one cares

Player A's deck is 9/10.
Player B's deck is 7/10.
Player C's deck is 5/10.
Player D is playing group hug. /Hopefully/ it should bring A up to 10/10, B up to 9/10, and C up to 8/10. There's still a difference, but it's smaller.

So you play with idiots. Alright then.

My perfect fits I rarely have to clean due to me sealing the tops with tape

Rhystic study is nothing more than a card designed to make players waste mana. Its like baiting casuals into ignoring you by playing Edric and loudly announcing what Edric does.

>if you continue to use proper threat assessment and dont just all out attack someone for playing rhystic study you are an idiot
k

>giving your opponent free card advantage every turn without adjusting threat assessement is playing smart

By any chance, did you recently expell anyone from your playgroup recently by way of slamming a door? I"m getting a lot of overlapping autism vibes from your replies.

It's not in my deck, but a player in my LGS gets shit for using steal and extra turn effects in his Ezuri deck. Once he used that bullshit card that gives you stuff AND extra turns, took everyone's mana rocks, then promptly lost them all after I destroyed all artifacts on the field. He didn't last long afterward

I see Group Hug strategy as an "offer you can't refuse" type of situation where everyone benefits but you're benefitting the most and everyone just greeds out and lets you get away with it. And:

group hug gives more resources and decks that use resources more efficiently will benefit more from those kind of cards, if anythign it pulls a greater gap between player a's deck and player c's deck.
its not free card advantage, you are supposed to pay for the triggers but if you are going to win that turn you can choose to negate the effect.
by no means is study such a backbreaking tax effect that the person playing it gets hated out of the game.

the best way to deal with rhystic study is to demand its owner to not draw cards on your spells, and if they do, hit them with a 18/18 double striking flier the next turn and kill them

forgot my iconic pic for this post

>you cant punch me because I will do a doubleflip and kick you in the head before you can even try
t.gradeschooler

We do not bend the knee to terrorists.

>Not running Nekusar and letting them draw for three damage just to discard their hand next turn, burning them for 18

Lemme break this down for you. If you, as the enchantment owner, didn't pay for the card advantage with resources and you're saying you shouldn't pay politically, then that's free, user.

>Lemme break this down for you
i can read the card
I know what it does, when you pay the cost it is not card advantage
you should almost always pay for the ability.
> you're saying you shouldn't pay politically, then that's free, user.
im not saying that at all
You need to get better at reading comprehension if you were unable to grasp that the only time you do not pay is if you can't afford to while removing it or if you are going to put yourself in a winning position/combo out.
Study is a tax effect and not a backbreaking one at that, it should not be generating any more hate than any other tax effect you play.

Odric, Lunarch Marshall. Everyone gets everything!

>any other tax effect in play

Don't hurt your back moving them goalpost there, friend.

does your meta not play taxing effects?

>i'm not saying that at all
>a three mana sphere of resistance doesnt draw hate mostly because you can negate the effect by having your opponent draw a card

Let the backpedaling commence.

Where are you playing?
What are you playing?
Why do you play there?

>you can
not
>you will

My house.
Radha.
Because it's not a pigsty.

>Where are you playing?
At home.

>What are you playing?
Karlov
Daretti
Grim-Grin
Alesha

>Why do you play there?
No place like home, right?

>Where are you playing?
Today my LGS has a league going on so that is where I will be.

>What are you playing?
Today is Sister's of Stone Death. (Pic related)

>Why do you play there?
The league for the most part is made up of people who just want to play magic and have a good time. The rules are minimal and very understandable while the nights stay fresh with nightly achievements.

/edhg/ - Pointless Arguments

They do. And people pay politically for playing them. Precisely what I said since the beginning.

>Where are you playing?
Where I can. Usually when I'm at a friend's house, but it's not often enough.
>What are you playing?
My Saproling and Ork decks mostly, because they're the newest and need tuning.
>Why do you play there?
Because our idiot store owner ran his shop into the ground.

Lemme point out the important part:
>DOESN'T DRAW HATE

This is different from:
>doesn't draw hate relative to other tax effects

How often do you play with additional gimmicks? From official ones like Planechase to house rules.

Someone at my FLGS mentioned their group was trying out the idea of the person who rolled lowest at the start getting to begin the game as the Monarch.

are boob mousepads comfy?
also, pic related should be arriving for my Iroas deck

>pay politically
and this actually stops people from not playing them from because
>(they) were not worth the negative politics?

because that is a dumb reason to not play a card, which is what I was saying from the beginning.
the tangent is that proper threat assessment is not just attacking people because they have a taxing effect out and people will lose games due to improper threat assessment which I do not mind.

>playing nekusar
That said, my Neheb casual minotaur tribal stomped the fuck out of competitive storm yesterday. Who knew that Oppression + active Bloodchief Ascension is damn good against storm. I didn't do well with the Hellbent part though, since I had Geth's Grimoire.
One opponent windfalled and I ended up draining a lot of life and drawing 17 cards.

I call him Neheb, the Extremely Worthy

I'll trade you a pack foil Prophet of Kruphix for a Blind Seer decklist.

>not playing nekusar
but wheels on wheels is a fun deck.

Should we call these Bryan generals?

FLGS and the local Subway
Draft at the LGS and EDH at Subway (Gonti, Surrak, Roon, Selvala, Breya)
It's just where the local Magic scene meets, starting way before I moved to this town.

>not playing Arjun so you can wheel your wheels when you wheel your wheels

>Where are you playing?
My group
>What are you playing?
Pic
>Why do you play there?
Because I have nobody else to play with

that logic doesn't hold up at all

But Nekusar is a bad deck. Why give opponents all the answers and wincons?

When we have 5-7 players, that is, too big to have one four player game but not enough to have two, we copy Bang! Grab the following from a deck of cards.
5 players: 1 King, 1 Jack, 2 black cards, 1 red card
6 players: 1 King, 1 Jack, 3 black cards, 1 red card
7 players: 1 King, 1 Jack, 3 black cards, 2 red cards

King player turns it face up, he gets 50 life and an extra card.
Jack's goal is to kill the king only after all the black cards are dead.
Black cards goal is to kill the king.
Red cards goal is to kill all the black cards and the Jack. If they die but the King is alive at the end then they still win.

Jesus that image is terrible.

repostin

I'm phoneposting now and my editing skills suck I know.

post non-legendary creatures you wish were legendary

I want to try a game where whoever is the first person to deal combat damage to any player becomes the monarch

Pretty much the whole Master and Battlemage cycle.

Pretty much the entire cycle.

Spawning Pit

>Letting them keep their hand in the first place
Well there's your problem
I've always wanted to do Planechase Commander, but my LGS is in love with Modern

Godhead of Awe and Overbeing of Myth

I might use this but the original is my own despite it being shit I will probably keep using it the duel deck jarad art is ugly too

Nephilim cycle
Shadowmoor Demigod cycle
Innistrad tribal lords
Practically any creature cycle

Or