Faction Focus: Eldar

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/11/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-eldar/

>Eldar

Boring. Next?

They COULD have done Orks, or Tau, or basically anything other than the most BORING xenos faction.

Waiting for eldarfags to wake up, and say that they've been nerfed to death.

Let's do some of these other factions that sell less first! And it's not like that there was some lore stuff happening recently regarding this faction!

Eh, Eldar are probably the most iconic Xenos, it makes sense they'd do them first. This Faction Focus was a bit light on the details anyway, so I don't mind waiting a bit for a hopefully more robust focus.

Main take-aways:
-Looks like flesh/armorbane is just melta's roll two damage dice and drop the lower, but at any range
-Wailing Doom has fancy stats
-Mandiblasters shoot mortal wounds (meaning that they aren't only from psyker stuff)
-Phoenix Lords now have a Sv2+ and buff nearby allied units

I'm sure they'll toss as a bone soon and preview the DARK Eldar.

I'ma be completely honest here...this doesn't really sound like a nerf at all. Kinda worried about that. I was looking forward to seeing the dissapointed faces of the Eldar WAACfags at my LGS....

I will say this, the previews do at least suggest that they really are trying to give you reasons to select your favorite models and not just the best ones.

I concur. They're really trying to stress the "every unit has a purpose and is capable of being useful," though we can't really judge the veracity of those claims until the game is released in full. At the very least, it's a respectable if daunting goal.

One of the things I always hated hearing in the local GW store (before it got shut down due to lack of sales) was, "Don't bother with that. No one plays that." Eliminating that particular argument is a good starting point.

I'm excited to see the Ork preview when it comes, though.

>Asurman is still the only Phoenix Lord with an invunerable save.

As someone who has had trepidation about whether or not to get into 40k, with that sort of thing being the primary reason, everything I've seen so far about the new edition is appealing to me. I'll probably play a few games with friends on TTS first just to make sure I actually enjoy it, but so far I'm pretty optimistic about 8th edition.

The Ork and Nid reveals need to be pretty fantastic to get people on board for 8th, as that was one of the most talked about issues in 7th, that two entire factions were essentially unplayable competitively.

Yeah, the xenos need some love too.

Welcome to the cautiously optimistic club! So far, I've approved of probably 80% of what we've heard, with the last 20% being in the neutral-ish range depending on how it's handled (some of the assault stuff falls under this). Definitely try it out before you invest, but things are looking good so far.

>your faction will never even get a focus because they're relentlessly nerfing it
at least they acknowledge the robots

Ooh, that's cold.

At least you're on the galaxy map with fancy dynasties and such. Nids don't even show up.

Orks and Nids are the factions I'm most interested in.

I'm Dark Eldar

Heh

Don't worry lad, it's because it's a 2D map and the galaxy is mostly flat.

Nids are entering the galaxy at an angle so hard to really convey other than having "beach head" circles but then people would complain as to why hive fleets are in the middle of systems and not coming in from the side.

Besides everyone knows the final battle will come down to Necrons, Nids and Orks.

The banner.
RRRRRRAAAAAAAIIIIIISSSSSEEEE THAAAAAA BAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNEEEERRRR

They did Necrons?

I really fucking hope they actually do hit the current bullshit with the nerfhammer and just left it out to keep Eldar players hyped.

Though they probably would've hyped far more people by telling us that Spiders/Psykers/Wraithknights/Bikes are being rebalanced.

AdMech and Necron focus when? I don't even plsy Necrons but want to know hoe Gauss works now and if AdMech can now be fielded as one without issue.

I'm guessing they'll have Imperial, Adeptus Mechanicus and either Skitarii or Cult Mechanicus.

If you use them mixed, Kataphrons are Elites, if you use them separately Kataphrons are Troops and Skitarii can either skip having an HQ or designate your Warlord's unit as an HQ choice, gaining him Prefered Enemy and your army Crusader/Scout.
Pretty much like they did the Rubrics counting as troops when in a TS army and Elite otherwise.

There are 9 FOCs we haven't seen yet, it's possible one will have no required HQ.

I suppose they could do that but would have to limit things a lot. Needing no HQ and saving yourself 50-200 points invites to spamming broken units.

>Strikes first
>Mortal wound save
Look at these new rules we're bringing in!
And now, for the race that will ignore them!

Plus, Eldar still have BATTLE FOCUS BITCHES!!!
In some way or another, my spesh elves will still be able to run and shoot at you mon'keigh bastards!

They aren't talking about specific nerfs in any of the articles

Also, any genuine eldar fan will be really happy to see the units balanced so we can use wraithknights, jetbikes, and warp spiders without feeling bad.

Only the people who bought those units to power-play will be butthurt, and they deserve it.

In fairness, the guy who wrote is an Eldar player, so he probably has a bit of a bias...

Sounds more like they're just buffing the shit Eldar never fielded because their other shit was so much better. We'll have to wait and see I guess - GW sure as hell wasn't gonna print an entire article of "haha fuck you eldarfags, eat nerfs" when advertising a product.

Psykers, Wraith constructs and warp spiders were specifically mentioned, but not scatbikes. So scatbikes are fucked.

Saying 'buff or nerf' is somewhat irrelevant. The whole game is being re-done, everything is getting new rules, there's no reason to believe that one faction will be stronger than another just because it was in the precious game.

Scatbikes were mentioned at the top as "infamous," so I think we can safely expect a nerf.

Cheeky bastards

>Sounds like Eldar are getting the much needed buff they were lacking in 7th. Previously only 2/5ths of the codex was overpowered ... But thats all changing now it'll be 100% of the codex so fear not Eldar players.

FUCK OFF

Remember how not all Eldar units were top tier? Well do we have a surprise for you!

It's ok : we will probably all be top tier in our own, unique and special ways.

>Even Roboute Guilliman must tread cautiously with this adversary.
Not to worry, he's got Calgar on speed-dial.

yet before Guilliman couldn't actually hurt the Avatar because his attacks had soul blaze

Eldar have always been the best faction throughout all of 40ks history and I'm fine with that. You need a top dog and Space Marines would just be too blatant.
As long as I can run a fluffy army and sometimes win, I'm fine.
I defeated Eldar with my Deldar quite often in 6th and 7th so eh.

No matter how many scorpians you field, you'll never be as green as da boyz

I got that reference

Why is that gravel voiced frontline faggot writing articles on the GW site?

>Durr footdar will be good!
>and Wraith armies will be good
>Aha, what about psykers? they are PERFECT
>And don't forget spiders too! uhhhh SO GOOD

Do they think everyone reading this shit is 12?

Am i really supposed to believe every unit in 8th is somehow viable? the Chaos faction focus was just insulting and now this

This one gave you some interesting news about some units doing mortal wounds, the avatar being top tier offensively, and howling banshees striking first when charged.

If you find that insulting then lower your expectations, this is GW. I don't know how you faggots keep getting angry about a company that you know is shit.

>Howling Banshees striking first when charged.

Not really. what it says is

>nearly always get to go first in the Fight phase even if they didn’t charge.

Which means that they have a mechanic for going first but it doesn't always work.

>mortal wounds
Already told us this like last week

>the avatar being top tier offensively
Yeah no shit it'll be decent in melee. that said of course their going to shill the fuck out of the product on their own site

>and howling banshees striking first when charged.
What.

The only good thing about these focus articles are the weapon profiles. I tend to expect trash from GW

What i didn't expect is for them to suck the Las Vegas tournament scene's dick this hard.

Aeldari Craftworlders? Wtf? Dark Eldar and Harlequins don't live in fucking craftworlds.

Aeldari is copywrite speak for Eldar

Then that would mean Dark Eldar and Harlequins aren't Aeldari Craftworlders, wouldn't it?

The mortal wound ignoring is a bit of a headscrstcher, but the banshee mask has been a thing for a while, it's still fluffy for those to give banshees basically a free activation

I thought Eldar = Craftworlders, Aeldari = All Eldar including DE and HE

>"Who is Reece, and why should I care?"

>LaughingTeamBeastCoast.jpg

Did you seriously expect them to put out a faction focus which said "hey, Eldar players, all your shit is getting nerfed!"

Read between the lines with how he didn't talk about how great Wraithknights or scatbikes will be.

Phoenix Lords already had 2+ armor saves and the Wailing Doom stats are basically the same.

Reecius is a hack.

How do hormagaunts not fall forward when running?

Coins in the bases. It's the only way to not have the little bugger fall over.

The same way as theropods. The tail is for balance and full of dense muscles which also help pull the legs back, the hips are at the focal point, and the exoskeleton is extremely lightweight. The central pair of limbs can also help rebound them back up off the ground if need be.

It's a mystery.

But tau are the most boring faction, user.

Fuckers only play half the game.

I once had a terminator sorcerer in that situation, on a very similar terrain piece even.
He won by the way.

>2+ armor save
Is much more powerful in 8th then before. 6+ Save against Melta grade weaponry is nifty.

If the eldar get no new shit it will be a good day

this

>tfw I played eldar in 5th where they were mid-tier at best and didn't even get an updated codex.

>mid-tier at best

No. Eldar in 5th were monobuild and not the top codex but they still shitted on all the actually mid-tier armies.

then thinking is not one of your strenghts then

but it's only a 5+ against power swords, which is a huge disadvantage comparing to 7th. not that i complain, it's just not a universal improvement for 2+ armor.

>GW engaging in bants on social media

I genuinely did not see this coming. GW being aloof assholes has just been such a constant in my life, I never expended any different.

>The enigmatic Aeldari of the Craftworlds

STAAAAAHP

All I got from this was "SPECIAL CHARACTERS SPECIAL CHARACTERS SPECIAL CHARACTERS"

A person's legs are like 60% of their body mass. That's the only reason we don't fall when sprinting.

It's only better against AP1 and 2. It's literally straight up worse against all other AP values.

>they're working with tournament players
Eh, could be a good thing... but will this mean Orks are even more boned than before? Do any SRS BZNSS players play Orks?

Depends on the honesty of the tourney players feedback.

then read again

At least half the article is talking about how good their special characters are.

no, a third at most

even if it was 99%, you'd still be wrong to only get that from it

Tourney players *want* every faction to be viable. It's a more interesting competitive game if they can run more than the same two factions.

They did the same shit in the chaos blurb, too.

>if you think melee is bad, just wait until you see this special character!

in case you're still there you were thinking of the term Ynnari, designing the new servants of Ynnead (basically). All Yannari are (A)Eldar(i), not all Eldar are Ynnari.

with the faction keywords that could be pretty interesting. Like have an optional ynnari faction that gives you a decent mix of the eldar factions as choices (but not all) and just "gets the Ynnari faction keyword"

>Am i really supposed to believe every unit in 8th is somehow viable?
literraly the point of 8th

Are Orks going to be the most popular faction in 8th?

>Reecius is a hack.
hey guys, heres an original idea:

>Lets let tourney FAGS playtest and balance the game-- thats right, the most WAAC faggy people on the planet should be in charge

Those are the exact people you want playtesting and balancing because they know what's broken and what's shit and how to fix them.

They aren't the ones responsible for the meta in 7th being shit, that's the fault of the rules writers, they just abused what was good because that's what you do when you're a competitive tournament player with money on the line.

Now they're the ones who get to say "well this thing is obviously way too good because that's all we run in our lists right now, so nerf it and buff these which we never consider running". They want all units to be viable.

You're a fucking idiot for not understanding this.

Let's be honest. If your goal is to find broken units, awful combo and shit like that you you ask the tournament players, not the fluffy players that are barely able to distinguish an overcosted unit.

Honestly most tourney folks are pretty chill dudes and aside from them utilizing the flaws in the edition to secure a win, they usually aren't too WAAC-faggy, hell a fair number of folks go to tournies with like shitty lists that they like just to see how they do. I see more snarky WAAC shit and general no-fun-allowed nonsense just in your typical LGS where you have at least one guy who has to fucking tryhard even if it's just a casual match.

They're the same fags that will pick a Tau WAAC list and then talk daily about how they're undefeated in the store in casual pick up games that most people just throw together a fun list for.

You forgot the fact that tournaments players aren't a lobby. They play one against the others. They gain nothing if exist something that is obviously more powerful than everything else, as they wouldn't be the only one to play it, but all their opponents would do the same.

This. The most WAACfags I know are people that get utterly destroyed when playing at tournaments against skilled players, so they do everything they can to be the winner in their LGS.

I'm not worried about what they -want-, more about what they're -able- to do. How can they properly balance factions they don't even play?

This

Frontline dickrider spotted, anyone can glance across 7th and spot the flaws

if the new edition is crap i'm blaming your E-celeb faggot's and their shit channel.

by playtesting

>anyone can glance across 7th and spot the flaws
...which doesn't contradict anything I said in my post, you retard?

Also I don't particularly care about Frontline anymore than any other part of the 40k community, I just know they're decent guys who are legitimately interested in balancing the game and you're a dumb faggot with no reading comprehension who doesn't understand the difference between TOs and WAACfags.

>anyone can glance across 7th and spot the flaws

When the Riptide and the Wraithknights came out people were calling them "overpriced pieces of crap" until they started winning tournaments.

Yeah, I have zero trust on the ability of "anyone" to recognize even the most broken of combo.

h's just fucking with you, he's one of the frogposting tearsfags who put up a facade of cynicism and schadenfreude to feel badass online

>When the Riptide and the Wraithknights came out people were calling them "overpriced pieces of crap" until they started winning tournaments.
The people saying that were the contrarian retards on Veeky Forums who are probably the same dumbfucks writing the horrifically bad 1d4chan strategy pages.

The ones who started bringing them to tournaments and winning with them which then made everyone realize they are good, are the ones now playtesting the game.

You see the problem with your logic here?

Then why act like these literally who's are the messiahs of gaming. If anyone can do the job why hone in on such a niche group that doesn't reflect the majority of hobbyists?

I truly have no clue why GW would do this as i can see the blatant problems of inviting such cancer to dictate the entire edition.

Take Reece's chode out your mouth and you might too