GURPS General /GURPSGEN/

Previous Thread Today's Random Question:
What's the stupidest setting you've ever played using GURPS?

Other urls found in this thread:

sentrybox.com/
angelforest.wikidot.com/blog:variable-limitations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was this not!fallout where there were bikers using lances and cannibals roaming the area.

Overly campy supers campaign.
I want it back but we broke up over unrelated supers fiction arguments

Speaking of, while I know Supers has some vague guidelines, SJG isn't always in touch with their actual mechanics. What makes a good general point range (say, 100pts variance or so) to do upper-street-level, lower-heroic supers? Like Worm's Undersiders, or the Avengers and Justice League's B-teams. 300-400?

Yeah, around 300 sounds good.

Bump

Is asparagus viable for a vegetable game?

Don't forget about tomato supremacy while deciding what to play as.

that formatting. bleh

Here's a 100 points GURPS character for GURPS 4e. I think 100 points is a fair baseline for an adventurer.

ST 10, DX 10, IQ 10, HT 10
Don't even bother with advantages and disadvantages for now.

Set aside 20 points for side skills. This gives you 80 points to put into the guns skill of your choice. Pick rifles because they deal the most damage: you can just use defaults for the others, it won't matter because your skill will be so fucking high anyway. Guns is an Easy skill, so you can get it to 15 for 16 points. Another 16 will get it to 19, another 16 will get it to 23, another 16 will get it to 27, another 16 will get it to 31. There. You have put 80 points into your Rifles skill and now have a 31.

Now you can spread those other 20 points around into minor skills such as Armoury, First Aid, Stealth, et cetera. Sure you won't be good at them, but you're not the skill monkey. So who cares? You can headshot motorcycle gangs with lateral speed of 20 m/s from a half-mile. Oh, and if really want, take just 20 points of disadvantages and you can bump that rifles skill up to 36.

So what can you do with a 36 in Rifles? Well, lets take a look at the range / movement table. This is without taking a 1-second round to aim, by the way.

> you can easily score a headshot (-7) on a running target (-2) at 100 yards (-10). You're rolling against a 17 there, so you've got a 99% chance of success.
>If we extrapolate the range table, you could reliably hit someone at 1 mile distant who is running (-2) and be rolling against like a 17 or something.
>God forbid someone arms you with a Gauss rifle or even a .338. The former has Acc7+2, so with three seconds of aiming you could have an effective Rifle skill of 45.

GURPS 4e is broken.

"No"

At least your bait has new pictures each time and bumps the thread.

How'd everyone's last session go?

Slow. Intra-party fuckery ensued and we wasted a lot of time doing nothing in particular. I was really sad that we only got in I think two or three fights in a 3-hour session--I thought I was running combat poorly or it was dragging--until someone pointed out that, no, the fighter were over in about 10-15 minutes each and what took time was the peasant threatening, zombie seducing, and (out of combat) face carving.

I'm hoping things speed up in this week's dungeon crawl.

Yea but
Unkillible 2 costs 100 points
And it is the hard counter to that
And sure you end up being an unkillable person with no skills but that's pretty sweet
At least you aren't based on ammo and stuff

Or you could have a sane gm who doesn't allow crazy stuff like ~40 gun skill
Gurps is a gym heavy game for a reason

Speaking of GM screens, anyone have some good inserts for a screen?

Where did your character get 30+ skill in Rifles? I think elite military units usually go for training a more rounded-out skillset than that.

>This gives you 80 points to put into the guns skill of your choice.

B172:
>The GM might wish to consider limiting PCs to skill levels somewhere in the 20-25 range.

Are there any RAW templates for children and adolescents? Or should I just stick with the unofficial ones in GURPS Sex & Reproduction?

Since people are still falling for old bait surely gurpsgen won't fall for this

B20

I said "templates", not "guidelines".

Ah. Horror page 35.

Sadly, I ran neither Grimwyrd nor Firefly:the Verse this week

Bachelor parties and hangovers are ROUGH

Next week tho. Next week will be ""fun""

>decide i might as well buy the actual books in addition to just having pdfs
>check out local game store
>they just have multiple copies of basic set: characters, gurps horror and one other splatbook
It's like they're not even aware that the Basic Set is two books.

The horror

Does Obscure Vision affect melee combat, would it be capped at -4 since the other person would know where the dude with obscure vision is?

Obscure applies perception penalties to an area; assuming you fogged up the place up enough, yes you could apply those to combat

Even if your GM would allow any legal character, putting that many points into one skill is just not very effective.

Sure, you can shoot someone in the head at 100 yards without aiming, but with Per 10 and no Acute Vision, you only have a 50% chance to see someone standing in plain sight at that distance, let alone someone trying to hide.

Next time, use a melee or unarmed skill for your bait, since Deceptive Rapid Strikes to the eyes would actually be useful in ordinary encounters.

At least yours actually had one of the two. Mine only had Discworld and Mars Attacks. I had to buy the Basic Set books online. They had almost no RPG books, either. Just Shadowrun and Pathfinder.

>Discworld
That was the other one they had, the one I couldn't remember.

It's 75% D&D/Pathfinder here, 20% Shadowrun/Star Wars, and a few assorted books.
The vast majority of the store is comics, anime and toys. Such is life in a smallish city.

The majority of my store is dominated by 40kidshit, cards, and board games. I haven't really gone there much since that well is dry for RPGs, and it's a half-hour drive away. So are all of the other gamer meetup places, which is again dominated by Pathfinder, so I just play online.

I wish GURPS was more popular. I'd go and GM myself if they weren't so far away. The immediate nature of online games has spoiled me.

My friendly local gaming shop is the largest one in Canada, and even it only has like "1 of each" of the second or third printing of 4th Ed books. Martial arts, magic and high tech. I bough their only copy of low tech when it came in, and it has a misprinted page! Big miscut corner!

sentrybox.com/

>Meanwhile the proper sniper with a spotter head shots you from a mile away and sprays your brains all over a rock because his spotter can see you well you can't see them.

My physical GURPS collection.

Not including Dragons which I've also got around somewhere.

This shit loaded at dial-up speed. Is Veeky Forums dying? Nice collection.

I just have basic, the techs, and tactical shooting. Good on you.

GURPS is only broken if you have a shit GM who doesnt know how to set boundaries.

Maybe in a Supers game a Hawkeye type character will have Guns 32 and his opponents will be balanced in some way (high dodge or high def).

Or if you're playing a normal person game, the rule of thumb is not to allow normal humans skill levels of over 25, which would be considered the level of someone who was the greatest grandmaster of all time in rifles.

Very noice

If I were trying to make a super spy
What stuff would you guys recommend?

High DX, IQ, and the Super-Spy talent from Power-Ups Talents. They should also be good unarmed and with something like a pistol, or other easily concealed weapons. Charisma also helps, as does Forgettable Face.

>Forgettable Face.
Cheater! Perks are no substitute for great role-playing!

Here's a 100 points GURPS character for GURPS 4e. I think 100 points is a fair baseline for an adventurer.

ST 10, DX 10, IQ 10, HT 10
Don't even bother with advantages and disadvantages for now.

Set aside 20 points for side skills. This gives you 80 points to put into seduction skill of your choice. Pick Sex Appeal because they give the best reaction: you can just use defaults for the others, it won't matter because you will be so fucking sexy. Sex Appeal is an Average skill, so you can get it to 14 for 16 points. Another 16 will get it to 18, another 16 will get it to 22, another 16 will get it to 26, another 16 will get it to 30. There. You have put 80 points into your Sex Appeal skill and now have a 30.

Now you can spread those other 20 points around into minor skills such as Erotic Art, First Aid, Stealth, et cetera. Sure you won't be good at them, but you're not the skill monkey. So who cares? You can seduce motorcycle gangs with lateral speed of 20 m/s from a half-mile. Oh, and if really want, take just 20 points of disadvantages and you can bump that sex appeal skill up to 35.

So what can you do with a 35 in Sex Appeal? Well, lets take a look at the range / movement table. This is without taking a 1-second round to strip, by the way.

> you can easily score a great Reaction (-7) on a running target (-2) at 100 yards (-10). You're rolling against a 17 there, so you've got a 98.1% chance of success.
>If we extrapolate the range table, you could reliably hit on someone at 1 mile distant who is running (-2) and be rolling against like a 17 or something.
>God forbid someone arms you with Appearance (Very Hansom) or something
GURPS 4e is broken.

>not building a character with Escape Artist-35
You're completely unstoppable. What are people going to do to you, throw you in jail?

>I roll to escape the natural process of death

How well does GURPS cover shit like having good rules for swimming and diving, actually interesting wilderness survival and scavenging/salvaging based crafting?

>having good rules for swimming and diving
Pyramid #3/26 - Underwater Adventures

>actually interesting wilderness survival
Dungeon Fantasy Wilderness Adventures

>scavenging/salvaging based crafting?
After the End 1 or 2, can't remember.

They're all great.

Cool, I'll have to look into those. I've been wanting to do a spinoff of the CATastrophe setting and been collecting books to look at. I've already been looking at Blue Planet from 3e a lot, which is pretty interesting, not sure how much I'm actually going to use from it but it's at least an interesting read.

Low-Tech, High-Tech and Ultra-Tech are all super useful. Transhuman Space and Bio-Tech have been good too.

Early in the game will be the typical coastal biome good times with comfy cat people, so I definetly need good shit for diving and treasure hunting and scavenging shit around, then later level adventures will be going inland more. Instead of the whole world being ocean in my setting, civilization stays on the coasts when are pretty trivial to survive in, other than the occasional tropical storm, angry sea critter, or malicious pirates, whereas inland is poison swamps and hostile rainforest, which most people avoid, but adventures are attracted to because that's where the goodies are, but I want combat to be more impactful in this game instead of being the only activity there is to do so I want stuff to make the other aspects more interesting.

D-david Pulver?

Pyramid #3/95 - Overland Adventures might also be something you want to pick up. It covers jungles, which wasn't in DF Wilderness Adventures, plus some other things like low-tech transportation.

Sounds like a fun game! I hope it goes well. Remember not to get too bogged down by rules during play, though.

Why is it that Autism is literally worse than Blindness[-50] in GURPS.
See Autism (full blown) could be stated as Hide Bound; Loner; Stuttering; No Sense of Humor; Bad Temper; Low Empathy; and Confused. That is a whopping -70 points. You could even add a few more disadvs to the mix. Is it really that bad to be living with autism that one would rather go blind?
GURPS 4e is broken.

This. You can take penalties out the ass and still be guaranteed success. A literal diplomancer, D&D 3.5 style.

I also suspect his hand in this post...

Some autistic people would have all of those disadvantages, but they're the sorts who have to live in a supervised facility because they're nonfunctional. Autistic people who you'd rather have on your adventure than the blind guy might only have one or two of those disadvantages full-blown and the others in quirk form or not at all.

>Is it really that bad to be living with autism that one would rather go blind?

Depends on how severe. Your degree? Yes, so I wouldn't have to read these meme posts.

newbie here. Can someone explain how skills work in GURPS?

>Remember not to get too bogged down by rules during play, though.
Yeah, I'm planning on going through all these books and picking and choosing what I want to reduce it to the basic details players will need and shit and make a document to distribute out instead of making everyone have to be constantly flipping through ten different books to get what they want.

I'm still trying to figure out what species I want to be available as player races.

Cats and dogs are given of course.
>Dogs will probably be the generalist jack-of-all trades adventurer who can be good at fighting and scavenging
>Cats would be not!elves, agile and graceful, more prone to intellectual pursuits, but also lazy and arrogant.

Thinking for the other races there could be
>Pigs (think pic related) as not!dwarves, being short, stout and good at practical crafts
>Goats as the weird outsider witches and gypsies, the only race I will allow players to start with Occultism learned.
>Monkeys (like Sun Wukong style monkeymen) could be like the Rogue class maybe, agile and clever, less scholarly more trickster type

Not quite sure who the others could be, been considering horses, cows and rabbits, and possibly birds.
It's a kind of Chinese Zodiac thing going on I guess, which fits given the nature of CATastrophe, I just don't know if I can make the races diverse enough to be worthwhile and not just extra bloat.

>David Pulver?
Huh? What reminds you of him there? I don't really know who he is other than being an author of a lot of GURPS things.

Like most things in GURPS, skills are roll-under; if you have Boxing-14, for example, you need to roll a 14 or under to punch something.

Skills are relative to attributes (DX, HT, Will, etc.), with 95% of all skills using DX (if physical) or IQ (if mental). Add the attribute modifier to the relevant attribute to find your skill level; someone with DX 12 and Guns at DX+2 has Guns-14. The attribute listed with the skill is what you'll be using most of the time, but you may roll with a different attribute under certain situations. One example is clearing a jam in the gun being IQ-based; if you know Guns at DX+2, you roll to quickly clear jams at IQ+2.

You invest points in skills to get better at them. While there is a pattern to it, I recommend just referencing the table on p. B170. That table tells you the TOTAL AMOUNT OF POINTS you need to invest in a skill to reach a certain relative skill level; for example, 8 points in a DX/Average skill nets you that skill at DX+2. Remember that the value on the table is the TOTAL AMOUNT OF POINTS you invest; you do not need to invest 16 points simply to go from a +3 to a +4, and instead all you need to invest is 4 points to bring the total from 12 to 16.

Most skills have "defaults"; even if you aren't trained in a specific skill, you can still try (just don't get your hopes up). Skills can either default to attributes (e.g. DX-5) or closely related skills (if you know a lot of stuff about nature, you probably picked up *some* practical info you can use to survive in the wilderness; this is why the Survival skill defaults to Naturalist-3).

He's infamous for an attachment to catgirls.

Hello. I am looking for movies that are good inspirational material for a campaign set in Soviet Russia. Its going to be a one shot, and I had hoped to have the players watch a movie while they ate before the session started, but I have yet to find anything.

Anyone have anything they'd recommend that fits the theme?

Boku no Piko

xD

This is movie, Come and see, is the sort of thing I am looking for.

Come and See
Stalingrad (the 1993 german version)
Shtrafbat (Russian TV miniseries)
Two Soldiers (1943 and a bit propaganda filled, but it does a good job of explaining the Soviet mindset at the time)

Basically any Russian WW2 movie would work, particularly if it was made after Stalin died, since they tend to be a bit more truthful.

Wait, I kinda thought you wanted WW2 movies so I put some here but if you want movies about Soviet life then I can also think of some, given a bit of time.

Company of Heroes 2 proved to me that they're anything but honest with themselves.

The average Russian film maker is about as honest about WW2 as the average Hollywood film maker. Although Putin times have ramped up the patriotism, so the time between Stalin's death and Putin is probably the best for Russian movies, of any kind.

>Anyone have anything they'd recommend that fits the theme?
Alcoholism.

Ah, I see.

I just like CATastrophe because it fits the style of game I want to run really well.
And it's cute.

Crappy inefficient grim reaper!

You probably also think that Enemy at the Gates was historically accurate?

>Shtrafbat (Russian TV miniseries)
Ewww. In fact, probably stay away from any Russian WW2 movies made after perestroika. Except Fortress of War, but it's joint project with Belarus.

If it weren't broken, why even play it?

>responding to bait

>find out there's a gaming shop near me, had no idea
>go there
>does mostly board games and warhammer
>has a handful of 5e and Cthulhu books
>bloke says they do tabletop nights which I bet means just shitty boardgames

Well that's disappointing.

GMing a TL9ish campaign with one of my players playing a Mad Scientist archetype. He wants to create a super human from scratch essentially. He's been playing it pretty well so far, stealing research from bio-tech companies etc. But I'm not sure how to approach this. How long should it take? It's an ongoing campaign, but I don't want it to drag out too long, I want him to be rewarded for roleplaying his guy really well, but at the same time, I don't want him to be able to create an Übermensch in a week.
How do you properly deal with long-term inventions?
I have GURPS Bio-Tech as well, it doesn't quite have the mechanic spelled out as far as I can tell, so I've been going off the "Inventions" rule in the Basic Set.
Any help appreciated!

It's after thr end 2
Pg. 36.

How would you balance bird people in a game? Wouldn't being able to fly make things kind of overpowered when everyone else is ground bound?

Not him, but you can slap on limitations that both balance them and make them realistic. A few options come to mind:
-Gliding Only. The race is too heavy to actually fly, but they can glide easily. May want to throw in something like Clinging to let them climb to high places easily.
-Costs Fatigue. The face can fly, but it's exhausting at 1+ FP/min.
-Wingspan issues. You need room to fly; dungeon tunnels aren't conducive to that.
-Cannot Hover. You can't stay put when flying, and you NEED to keep moving, which limits your tactical options--you can get anywhere, but you can't just stay out of range and rain death from on high.
-Wings as arms. You're limited to kicking (likely with talons) or mental actions when flying as your arms are your wings. Psionic bird-people would be OP, though.

Can you make it costs fatigue but not for gliding? That sounds possible. Wings as arms are what I'm going with the idea because I'm basic it off pic related.
Does pic related look anatomically possible?

Maybe make it so hovering costs even more fatigue points, and flying while retaining a limited use of your arms is even more exhausting

Either-Or limitations in Power Ups 8 cover Gliding or Costs FP.

For more complex version when you can choose whatever and want to know FP cost at this power level... You can extrapolate Costs FP, Variable using enhancement cost instead of level.
I wrote some stuff that covers wide variety of variable powers, but I am not sure if that would fit you. It's a bit mathy and I dunno if it's clean enough.
angelforest.wikidot.com/blog:variable-limitations

Regardless, you probably want to set Flight with Gliding as zero level for purpose of FP cost, and treat normal flight as enhancement that cancel this limitation. I am on mobile so I can't run math you.

I'm having trouble deciding on how to balance flying, because flight can be a potentially very useful skill, I want it to be useful and not crippling bad to the point that the race isn't really good for anything except flying and not even too good at that.

Making it cost too much fatigue to be useful sounds like it would be really limiting, I think having no use of arms while flying is fine though, the extra drag feathers would add would probably limit the swimming skill, though that can be overcame with extra training and assistive gear, but clothes would need to be modified to fit their different anatomies.

Is hollow bones a thing in the game, be lighter at the cost of being more fragile.

>Is hollow bones a thing in the game, be lighter at the cost of being more fragile.
Canonically, it's Vulnerability to Crushing, x2. Can't remember where I saw it.

Why are you so concerned about the balance of fliers vs. non-fliers, if I may ask? If you're worried about them attacking people from the air, wings as arms mostly solves that problem. I assume CATastrophe has guns, so there's no real issue with shooting them down besides skill. Costing FP also means they won't be able to fly for long without getting dead tired, which makes them easy targets.

As long as ranged weapons are a thing, flight won't be really overpowered. And you can't take cover in the air.

There is no special trait for hollow bones. Weigh is a feature. You may want to add Weakness to crushing damage.

Hey guys
I'm going to be playing a super heros campaign as a super robot

How do I heal without needing anyone else?

Any cool advantages that I could use?

Having a high Mechanic or Electronics Repair skill. You use the rules for repairing objects on B484. Since a robot would have Unhealing (Total), Regeneration is out of the question unless you drop that disadvantage. Be sure to take Accessory perks to have Mechanic and Electronics Repair toolkits built into your body.

The book was mostly alright as a dramatized non-fiction.

>Why are you so concerned about the balance of fliers vs. non-fliers, if I may ask?
I've just never played an RPG with flying characters so I don't know how to handle it really and not sure how it would work out. I want the flight ability to be a useful tool but not so useful it's gamebreaking.

Having flying characters means I'd have to design environments and encounters with the potential of flying characters in mind.

I feel like flying could trivialize some things, but making flying too costly would negate its usefulness entirely. Being worse at swimming due to the drag of wings would be a decent penalty consider that water, swimming and diving will be really prolific in this setting.

I'd say don't worry about it too much. You can typically use the environment to your advantage here. As you said, water and diving will be prominent. It's also difficult to fly inside buildings, so setting goals or encounters inside those would mitigate flying's usefulness (until a clever player decides to provide aerial support akin to a helicopter by flying past windows and spraying the interiors), wind and thermals should give bonuses or penalties depending, so if you want to make an encounter that isn't easily won by flyers you can just have strong wings that give them a -2 or -4 to their flying skill, etc.

If flyers are common in the setting, there will be observers watching the sky (unless they don't have reason to suspect bird people are nearby), and guns are the greatest equalizer of them all. As for letting them be awesome outside of the ocean and buildings, that's what they're paying for. They'll still be difficult to shoot even if they get spotted, as long as they're high up enough. Which reminds me, giving them acute vision and telescopic vision would make them excellent observers.

And I'll say, as one GM to another, let it go when players surprise you and obliterate your encounters. As long as it isn't happening constantly, they should be having fun because of it, and hopefully that'll rub off on you if you did a lot of prepwork.

Try Pyramid #46: The Daughter of Necessity.

Technically you don't HAVE to take Unhealing. You might be a robot with sophisticated self-repair functions.

You could also have a Gadget based "Repair Kit" item that provides a Mitgator for Unhealing (Total) and provides temporary regeneration with Takes Preparation so you can't spam it.

Don't be afraid to give other people limited Flight abilities. Jump packs and/or glide wings make for fun Gadgets without breaking the game. After all, the flyers can always get swim fins and an airtank to swim.

Thanks!

>Can you make it costs fatigue but not for gliding?
Flight (Gliding, -50%; Temporary Disadvantage, No Fine Manipulators, -30%; Winged, -25%; Alternate Ability, x1/5) [2] + Flight (Cannot Hover, -15%; Costs Fatigue 2, -10%; Temporary Disadvantage, No Fine Manipulators, -30%; Winged, -25%) [8].

>Does pic related look anatomically possible?
Enough for most fantasy games, sure.

>Maybe make it so hovering costs even more fatigue points, and flying while retaining a limited use of your arms is even more exhausting
I'd use power stunts from GURPS: Powers; spend FP, make a penalized Will roll, and drop certain limitations as allowed by the GM. Alternatively, you can write up an additional AA to Flight that swaps out the Temporary Disadvantage for Untrainable to represent how clumsy your flight becomes when trying to hold stuff.

Playing TL9 cyberpunk.
How to realize quadcopter drones as gear?
For military and adveturish uses.

>Vulnerability to Crushing, x2
How many points would that be worth?

>only 10 points for winged bird people
Interesting.

>How many points would that be worth?
You can find damage types and their occurrance rate on B46, in the Limited Defenses box. Crushing, for example, is Common, so it would be [-30] for Vulnerability to crushing weapons. Anybody with a bat could break a bird's wing very easily, and sling-thrown rocks (using Low-Tech, not Basic Set) en masse could quickly down a bird on the cheap.

I did want WW2 moves, although soviet life would have been good as well. I appreciate all the advice. I had to sleep.

Moves?

So that's a really punishing disadvantage then?

So would Costs Fatigue 2 mean that it would cost 2 FP to start flight, then 1 FP per minute to continue flight, because the book says you pay half the initial cost per minute to sustain a continuous ability?

I'm looking at
Flight (40)
-Winged, -25% = -10
-Cannot Hover, -15% = -6
-Costs Fatigue 2, -10% = -4
-Temporary Disadvantage, No Fine Manipulators, -30% = -12
= 40-10-6-4-12 = [8]

Flight (40)
-Winged, -25% = -10
-Controlled Gliding, -45% = -18
-Temporary Disadvantage, No Fine Manipulators, -30% = -12
40-10-12-18 gives a total of 0 already without making it an alternate ability. So did I do my math wrong on this or what? Would this just be a free ability?

Then another Flight
-Winged, -25% = -10
-Small Wings, -10% = -4
-Costs Fatigue 2, -10% = -6
-Temporary Disadvantage, Ham Fisted, -5% = -2
-Temporary Disadvantage, Total Klutz, -15% = -6
= 40-10-4-6-2-6 = [12]

I think I might make this one the main ability just for balance reasons, then the one with Cannot Glide would be an alternate so it would cost 2 (well 1.6, but I assume you round up) points, so these three flight abilities would could 14 points in total.

The reason the third one has short wings would be they can't extend their wings fully while in a position that allows the use of their hands, but this different position does allow them to hover and move around to an extent, but not to ascend, I think that's how small wings is supposed to work. Also I think hamfisted and total klutz make fitting disadvantages for the awkward positioning such a feat would require.