Favorite Fantasy Weapon?

What's your favorite sort of fantasy weapon, user? It can be as conservative or wild as you like, as long as you spit it out.

For instance, I'm a delusional shieldfag.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premodern_combat_weapons
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilbo_(sword)
en.m.wikipedia
youtube.com/watch?v=q8FvM8H_0-k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like typical fantasy weapons (swords, axes, what have you) but with ornate or impractical design flair.

But if I had to pick one fantasy weapon as my favorite I guess I'd go with spear.

a gun that shoots swords that divide into daggers that explode

>not using the double club

Daggerfag here, I accepted long ago that I'm not a warrior.
Also a big fan of staves and fencing blades.

I like the idea of absurdly powerful weapons that look like absolutely ordinary version of themselves.

A great fan of axes once, i'm re-evaluating hammers and greatswords

Longswords, duh.
Spears especially winged ones are close contender.

Shields are great, sword & board is my favorite fighting style by far, but I also acknowledge that they're fragile and tend to smash apart in any remotely prolonged combat: vikings carried like three of them for duels for a reason. So you'd need a weapon that can be wielded with either one or two hands, effective either way.

For that, you'll want bastard sword.

I do like glaives too, though.

bastard swords don't actually exist.

My favorite fantasy weapon that isn't just a straight up magic sword or something is Monster Hunter's Switch Axe. You've got a huge axe and a huge sword all in one weapon. What is not to love?

the goedendag because it's name literally means "good day"

How they work.

The thread asked for FANTASY weapons, user.

The fact that both modes do the same type of damage...Changing from one chopping blade to another seems a little pointless.

That does nothing to explain how you can even lift the damn thing.

You wanna know pointless

Scythes, I know they're impractical, I know they're farming equipment and not weapons of war, I know they're overused by ''nothing personel kid teleports behind you edgefags''. buttfuck it I think they're cool.

Dark Eldar Incubi weapons. Klaives I think they're called. They get me hot and bothered.

Bastard sword, mechanically it is the most versatile. Being able to switch between one and two handed, pair it with a shield or a second weapon. In older editions the damage against large creatures was decent enough. Shield would be my second favorite, also for versatility.

Hunters are the descendants of super humans engineered to fight Dragons during the Dragon War.

It's monster hunter, if you ask these kind of questions you're not going to enjoy yourself

I have a weakness for swords with blunt ends.
They don't make any goddamn sense, but I guess to me it makes them look more like cleavers, which makes them look more powerful.

in the same vein

I've been assured that this sword is fake, but I still think it looks cool

Chainsaw weapons. Shit makes very little sense, but I love it.

These are also strong contenders for my affection.

I thought the gunshot wasn't creating a projectile but making the blade vibrate at high frequnecy. It is still retarded, but at least has a psuedo-explanation. Or is that an after the fact explanation like the Han's parsec comment.

Also I see your retardation and double it.

thicc

Damn, first answer stole what I was gonna say. But yeah, this. I love weapons that look real and useful, but with maybe like, 20-30% extra. Maybe they're a little too big, or the blade has pointless holes in it, the guard is overly big and ornate, it's curved in an odd way or something. Like it's still totally a real ass weapon, but unless you're more than just a regular guy, or the weapon has more to it than just metal and wood, it wouldn't be optimal.

Though it might be because making those kinds of weapons is a hobby of mine.

Fake or not, you're right; it does indeed look cool.

For example.

Execution blades, designed solely for chopping off heads.

>I like typical fantasy weapons (swords, axes, what have you) but with ornate or impractical design flair.
My nigga.
>But if I had to pick one fantasy weapon as my favorite I guess I'd go with spear.
MY MOTHERFUCKIN NIGGA.

Naginata. Or a fauchard but those vary in shape enough that sometimes they're not what I want.

I want a pointy thing on a long stick to stab things with before they can hurt me. I'd also appreciate being able to trip or chop but those are secondary to not getting it caught on something like the scrub I am so I'd rather not go full halberd.

I am personally a sucker for really big single-sided blades, like buster swords or the Fable 1 cleaver.

don't over complicate things

Thrusting swords, especially the estoc since it's so overspecialized.

So it's an ugly shortspear that you can bludgeon people with like a quarterstaff? I mean, a fork could do the same, but be more effective, and was a commonly used tool.

Anything versatile and effective. Preferably easy to maintain. Halberds, lucerne hammers, billhooks, pollaxes, all adorned with hooks and spikes capable of thrusting attacks and disarming of shields. For a more up-close fight a flanged mace or handaxe would be fine, accompanied by a spiked shield.
Sure, none of these are very fantasy-y, but practicality outweighs muh edgy superkatana every day.

I love a big ass greatsword and hewing enemies like I'm Conan the fucking Barbarian!

Usually I play a wizard though.

It's more of a club with a spike.

80-140 cm is above what I'd consider a club, but that'd be a more apt word to describe it, yeah.

That's pretty grim.

Nobody said western fantasy onry, so I'm going with the jian. Bitches don't know about my immortal sword-arts.

In my mind I always imagine the trigger for the change was twisting the handle. That made the most sense to me considering you don't get to see what the mechanical bits inside of it are like.

I'm fond of spears and pole-arms, specifically things reminiscent of naginata.
Something about butting a more-or-less standard blade on a really long stick just speaks to me.

In 3.0 through Pf, a critical focused fighter can be the deadliest nightmare by about level8 (human).

I joined a game at 7th and when I got that 3rd attack, I lucked out and crit killed a adult red dragon in a round. Solo. The x4 crit base gets real ugly early.

but that weapon clearly has a sharp point user

All of them. I try to carry as diverse an array of weaponry as possible. This usually includes a bastard sword, hand axe, spear, bow, throwing knives, dagger and shield.

What's that, an eastern Gladius?

Bloodborne had such cool weapons, even if they were completely impractical.

I just looked up some stuff about executioner swords and found "Terminus Est"
>Terminus Est is described as being "Light to raise, weighty to descend." This is due to (in addition to the obvious ethical quandary, in that raising the sword causes no harm, but the descending stroke ends a life by decapitation) a channel in the spine of the blade, containing liquid hydrargyrum, another name for mercury. (Wolfe makes use of obscure terms from Latin and Greek in many of his works, and in the New Sun Cycle additionally makes heavy use of French and Spanish.)
>"Light to raise, weighty to descend."
>a channel in the spine of the blade, containing... mercury.
Does that make any kind of sense? I get that it's referring to momentum, but would that work at all in real life? Do you think you'd need some special way to lift/swing to get it to work?

Sort of, but lighter, more flexible and designed for unarmored combat.

I kinda want a list of weapons, fantasy and not fantasy. So I can spice up my NPCs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premodern_combat_weapons

>Do you think you'd need some special way to lift/swing to get it to work?
Not really. Most of the sword's weight would be in the hilt when you raise it due to mercury flowing downhill through the channel. When you swing it, momentum carries the mercury back up the channel to the tip of the sword, increasing the weight and cutting power. There wouldn't be a real need to change how you hold or swing it.

I've got a soft spot in my heart for the king of retarded, impractical fantasy weapons - the warglaive.

I can actually see that kind of weapon working in context. Demon Hunters wade into battle with dozens of demons by themselves, meaning they're usually surrounded. If you look at the ingame animations, you'll see that the ready position has one glaive is held in front and the other behind. This is to let you parry from any direction.

As for smacking people without hurting yourself, notice how every strike uses the rear blade to hit, and how the entire torso twists with every swing, also keeping the other glaive on the opposite side to keep up your defensive coverage.

It's still silly, but not completely without logic.

Yeah, it can work kinda, you just need superhuman strength, speed and reflexes, which WC elves have even before getting juiced up on demon shit.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilbo_(sword)

Filthy bagginses

pic related is the most pleasing weapon shape ive ever seen, but I generally like stuff like swiss sabers or kriegmessers

>en.m.wikipedia
Kill yourself phoneposter

The swords that look like the orc ones from lord of the rings. Just a big slab of metal with a sharp edge.

Two handed swords, never a bad choice.

I usually favor blunt weapons, or something exotic. Flails are fun, and nunchucks are awesome but don't really fit these kinds of settings unless you're a monk or what have you. Big freaking hammers are always a good choice.

I always feel drawn to the simple quarterstaff though. It has a very benevolent wandering adventurer feel to it.

Halberds, Glaives/Naginata are really cool, planning on my next D&D character to be a fat but weirdly athletic and acrobatic fighter who uses a Naginata.

Also got a soft spot for Scimitars, Greatswords and the good Ol' Morningstar. I feel like maces, morningstars and flails get poor representation, no one seems to want to use them in my games.

first of all yeah, the thread is talking about fantasy weapons.

second, yeah they totally did, but it was a classification, not an actual weapon. A sword big enough that it would have to be slung across the back, but light enough to weild in one hand - they were, back in the times, generally called "hand and a half" swords. There were lots of different swords that fit into this category. Granted, not many were used, like greatswords they weren't hugely practical, however they absolutely existed.

I wouldn't say a scythe is an edgy weapon, not nearly as much as a katana.

A halfling druid in my upcoming game is gonna use one, i think that sounds pretty cool

>not wanting to bash your enemy's ribs into their lungs

if that's a warhammer then my dick is a jackhammer

The Japanese, not surprisingly, managed to take this idea to its illogical conclusion. Yes, the lighter portion actually works. And it fires bullets too.

looks like some God Eater shit, an anime so bad it made me hate a whole aesthetic

Bardiche.

Hunters are literally transhuman übermensch

They'd be impossible to use safely but whip swords are just the coolest idea to me. Same with whips, actually.

best combos are as follows
Tomahawk + long knife
Sickle + chain
Bastard sword + parry dagger
Rapier/fencing saber + throwing knives
Kukri + kukri

I love this axe. It has so much ''umph!'' to it, you know? Like it's a sharpened sledgehammer more than anything else.
>dat ass

I feel you. It's just simple brutality. Same reason I like modern tacticool swords.

Personally I prefer old Fireseal but hey, this the same series where the least weird weapon is a guitar.

Flails, bolas, thrusting swords like the estoc, and impractically spiky armor so I can be an urchin of death.

Get out Hinsty David, you are drunk!

>15 gp
>2d4 slashing
>3 lb.
>Two-handed, finesse

Use this with with my Duskblade in 3.5 and my Eldritch Knight in 5ed.

You wanna give FLCL a watch, where the guitar is a multiple use tool: instrument, vehicle, weapon, symbolic metaphor for a character's maturity and the seizing of their destiny, etc

youtube.com/watch?v=q8FvM8H_0-k

the BRODE SODE

I love comically large hammers and axes. Things where you would have enough trouble reliably hitting a stationary log/spike, never mind a moving target. (I loathe comically large swords, however.)

A scythe fighter in PF can be especially fun, if a bit of a one-trick pony, because of the extra static damage bonuses PF fighters get. Damage is usually just OK, but when you get that crit, KABOOM!

maces, morningstars, warhamers, picks.
basicly anything that you look at,
and your ears fill with the thunk of it connecting.

that or a trusty old billhook

It was mostly improvised by peasants under siege iirc

My ideal weapon is basically this, but instead of axe to fat sword, halberd to guarded sword. With a nice flowy scarf for style.

Gunlance is also fucking amazing.

You'd end up twisting the handle accidentally way too often. A trigger makes more sense.

looks like the peasants answer to armour to me

Like those?

Make it less jagged, emphasize the frontward curve some more, give it a spike on the portion that attaches to the gauntlet section, and decide on a length and purpose for the topside blade (either parry, sword-breaker, or cutting).

Do that and you'll have a functional weapon.

I can appreciate the craftsmanship of these but holy shit is it hideously gaudy.

>...Never knows best

Yes, I remember those days.

Now that's something obscure I can appreciate.

That magic throwing star from the movie "Krull"...

And those are not even the ones covered with gems!

But yeah, no practical value except showing off.

Funnily, my GM actually implemented such "weapons" in a meaningful way. We used it as an indicator for how high the social status of unknown NPCs were.... just like people did in the old days.

In my system, ornate weapons and armour give charisma bonus.

Axes, maces, clubs, morningstars. Anything with a good heft to it. I have a special place in my boner for macuahuitl, though.

new season's coming supposedly, hope they don't butcher a classic