Are Western or Eastern dragons cooler?

Are Western or Eastern dragons cooler?

Western ones are actual dragons by our definition

Eastern are more of serpents or wyrms.

They both have their place.

they're both fine, whatever

Generally, Northern dragons are cooler, because climate and stuff.

I laughed

Now go far enough south and the weather is just as cold. On earth there is just a lot less population and useable land in the southern artic equivalent. In a serting with more Antarctic population, would people think of the south as the north?

>skub

I'd say western dragons as I prefer some sense in verisimilitude

but the eastern do really seem to go crazy fun with their designs, when they don't go full mecha at least

variety is the key to my heart and westerns are losing it

Eastern dragons are closer to corporeal spirits than anything else, some of them don't even have any reptilian characteristics

I prefer western ones much more. Eastern ones are basically spiffed up snakes.

Western dragons because of the heroism involved in slaying them.
Eastern dragons just sorta get cooked goose and trick peasants into thinking hieroglyphics but shit are somehow acceptable as language.

Western Dragon tend to be animals or evil spirits, while Eastern Dragons end up more like Gods.
Even being a Weeb I tend to prefer Western Dragons, honestly, more like I could possibly share a world with them.

BotW dragons are pretty awesome though.

/agree

Yes.

Western dragons tend to be animalistic monsters, at least until Tolkein got his hands on them; St George wasn't getting a conversation out of that oddly tiny thing. Eastern dragons tend to be intelligent. With copious amounts of "depends on the setting", I prefer the sort that you can talk to.

Hilariously enough, Tolkien dragons were very serpentine.
You could almost call them winged snakes with limbs.

>depends on the setting

That fits if he was more interested in Eastern-style dragons than Western-style. Seriously, no one is impressed with you, Georgie. Look on yonder maiden. Verily, she too is unimpressed.

Fafnir could talk. Then again, he was a dwarf that had been transformed into a dragon.

Shit, even St George and the dragon look unimpressed in that picture.

Geeze, that thing even has butterfly wings. St. George, thou truly art a dick.

>using skyrim's wyvern posers as an example of western dragons

Best Dragon coming through

Western.
Agreed.

Fuck you Grigori, I want my heart back

I say both. Variety is good.

You came from that /v/ thread didn't you OP?

Dragons in Slavic fairy tales usually talk.

Not similar enough except by the vaguest of standards to reasonably compare them to each other.

One is a either a monster or an ancient eldritch being at most akin to a demigod that exists almost exclusively within the entertainment industry, with the great exception being Satan misinterpreted as some kind of dragon or snake-like beast. The other is most frequently actually part of someone's religious beliefs (inb4 edgy teens try to equate religion to the entertainment industry) and represents ideas or concepts more often than an actual creature.

It's symbolism, dumbass. Satan is a bitch nigger compared to the might of the Lord.

The dragon looks more pissed that George is shoving a spear down his throat.
>Dude, the fuck?

BotW dragons aren't cool because you get jack shit from them

Doesn't make for a good story though, does it? A knight called George kills a dragon, and that's the famous thing that he does, and he's canonized for it. Having the dragon be a pitiful little thing does not fit that narrative.

You want a dragon that eats a whole village and has mountains of treasure in its lair? A dragon that breathes fire and is a force of destruction and awe? A dragon that is physical and somewhat obeys the laws of physics? Take a western dragon.

You want a dragon that protects a village? A dragon that masters the elements in a magical way? A dragon that cannot be beaten, but outsmarted? A dragon that shits on the laws of physics and "swims" in the sky? Take an Asian dragon.

Both are good, but I prefer the latter because there's already a lot of flying death machines in fantasy as it is.

>Are Western or Eastern dragons cooler?

They're both equally as awesome and cool, but for different reasons.

I like how Eastern Dragons can spit out water, lightning, and just in general have all sorts of weather powers and they make PEARLS.
DRAGON PEARLS sound like the kind of treasure I want to steal- I also really like how there's this wiggle room on Snakes, Carp, Turtles, etc, all having the potential to turn into Dragons if they get old enough or what have you.

Western Dragons are cool because they breath fire, poison, etc and hate christianity and in the same sense still represent nature and the wild the western world didn't want.
I dunno, I can't remember many western dragons to be quite frank with you- I think they got drunk on milk? And some guy killed one with armor covered in spikes?

I remember Russia used to be ruled by multi-headed Dragons (whom had crowns and everything), but Cossacks kept figuring out ways to kill them and steal their land, like, they'd literally house-invade them in their palaces and murder them.

You gotta step into my boy G's shoes to understand his plight.
You're a knight of the lord raised up to believe the devil takes many forms to get ahold of the earth, and then you see what essentially is a komodo dragon that can actually run like a sprinting crocodile and presumably (depending on the painting) can also fly. What if he could melt his armor and char his skin with poisonous breath?

That sounds like a very intense tale, the fact that he's always depicted as impaling him straight away makes it even more awesome, if you imagine it as some sort of "do or die" situation.

I think we're just numb after powercreep in media in general.

>using winged, non-serpentine posers as dragons

Honestly medieval dragons were meant to be scary due to a sort of cosmic horror of being the devil's external additions to god's design, and thus being deformed, purposeless amalgamations of scary creature parts.

DaveB pls

No see, the dragon was legitimately large and threatening, but after my man George busted its teeth in he decided that a holy beating wasn't enough, so he had every make it look like a bitch in art so that even its reputation got wrecked.

I feel like this image is biased.

Thats because it is.

Just looking at the physical traits gives it away.

>look at this loooong list of different animal parts so much more creative am I right?

>wow look at this western dragon. It only has two (four) physical traits listed and we shall ignore the rest

> Mouse-like tail
If you're going to be unsubtly biased then at least don't start making factually incorrect shit up.

west

I just love me a good proper murder lizard

Actually now that I look again all of those animal comparisons are just wrong.
I don't have an appropriate 'You're an incalculable idiot' reaction image so have this dragon instead.

Have you trued shooting theur horn with an arrow?
best way to farm rupees by far

For realism, I'd go with the western dragons.

For fantasy escapism, I'd go with eastern dragons.

By the way, for me western dragons are best as intelligent beasts, not these Smaug "I am death" types. Giant fire breathing beasts that are attracted to shiny things. I'm happy with that.

BotW dragons are legitimately some of the coolest dragons I have ever seen. Seeing Farosh's massive serpentine body erupt out of Lake Hylia and wind up into the sky with absolutely no warning was one of the most amazing experiences I've had in a video game. It sparked a sense of wonder in me that I haven't felt since I was a kid.

Plus if you shoot them you get scales and horns and shit that you can use for quests and Elixirs.

It kind of diminishes your dragon's menace when you give him a normal ass name like Gregory. What's next? Tanner the Lich. Devin the Pit Fiend?

It was some wierd medieval art standard, for some reason everyone had to look bored and indifferent becausen they weren't into individual emotional expression until the Renaissance.

Tim the Enchanter?

>Are Western or Eastern dragons cooler?
They're both retarded as shit. Dragons are just autism dinosaurs. Dinosaurs were cool enough on their own AND they were actually real. Love dinosaurs, not dragons.

Neither. They are all cool in their own ways. Besides you've left out like 6 different varieties of dragon anyway.

You need to post a western dragon so I can truerly compare. Easter dragons are definitely superior to wyverns though.

>King John, why do we fight enemies who know not the thrill of battle?
>Simple my Sargeant, for until the fields stain red, I shall know no thrill myself.

Never take NyQuil before a battle

Some of those guys are asleep.

Best Dragon

I prefer western dragons, they are regal & majestic as fuck. Eastern dragons are wonky-looking, have no real predatory features, swim in the sky & have weather powers while a Westerns have impenetrable scales & fire that melts rocks.

Dragons did nothing wrong

As someone with a passing interest in dragons, this question feels quite underwhelming.

Should I consider Tiamat western or eastern? And what about Boitatá? Or Grootslang? Indombe? Bakunawa is eastern but has little in common with chinese dragons. Where does Păl-raí-yûk fits?

Tiamat is literally smack in the middle. Except for D&D'session version which leans west

They fit wherever they will satiate you're autism the most

Western dragons have been a mixed breed in the last hundred years. They went from monsters with no standard form to something as rigid and god-like as the easterners. Both the god-made Hydra and the medieval symbolic abominations combining baleful traits were dragons, now it always has to have four legs, wings, smartness, magic... They even have to look good nowadays.

Like that horde of dragons who look like someone made a scorpion out of reptile bits, giving them two heads instead of pincers?

In terms of geography yes. But when it comes between "eastern" and "western" dragons, it is closer to freaking Azatoth.

I never quite got what Veeky Forums says is "autism". I'm guessing it pertains to making an effort and reading a lot before executing an idea.

My autism is never satiated, mah boy.

It came to the point where I don't have anyone to talk about things unless I teach them first.

>biblical name
>normal
Nigga, you high on Jesus or what?

>Are Wyverns or Eastern Dragons cooler?

FTFY

If you seriously don't think John or David or Michael aren't the norm in the West, you're either not from a Western Country or live in one of the most sheltered areas in the world.

On a slightly related note, does anyone have a picture of that one medieval drawing with a really bored looking knight fighting a tiny, goofy looking dragon? I've been looking for it for ages, but can't seem to find it.

Slavic dragons are the shit.

You can't go better than to mix dragons with Greek legends.

Enchantment?

This one?

Yeah that one, minus Wojak and Pepe.

Naturally depends on the setting. I'd prefer skyrim wyverns in a low fantasy as a good boss-enemy type.

For a CUHRAZY high fantasy adventure I'd love to bash in some magic city-spanning dragons and not give a shit.

Grigori is not John, David, or Michael dipshit. How many Grigoris do you know?

None of that "Well akshully it means Gregory" I'm talking Grigori.

fpbp

Western dragons are more commonly depicted as breathing fire, so they're definitely not cool.

>look at this loooong list of different animal parts so much more creative am I right?
Pretty sure that's the way chinese described their dragons

Maybe the Lord shouldn't have made a dragon then
Worst GM ever

Gregori is a biblical name. Which is very fitting, because Dragon's in Dragon's Dogma are Angels.

Sometimes God gets drunk and forgets what he makes.

thanks mate

Not sure it's fair to compare them, they're extremely different and themselves are varied in usage and interpretations. I like and use them both.

I love the idea that he's just sitting there calmly and chuckling like the joker as he gets hacked to bits.

that just triggered a major nostalgia boner.

Your*

How has nobody corrected you since you posted that?

Not that user, but the specific spelling of "Grigori" is significantly more common in Russia than wherever you live. America, probably.
Hebrew based names almost always get translated from Hebrew to a native form, so while a specific spelling may be different, the meaning and roots are (usually) the same.
English says Jesus. Spanish says Heysus. Aramaic says Josue (or Yosue or Joshue or something).

Western Dragon done by Japs are the best

Look, he came in saying he was all the good and all the evil, he's got quotas to fill on both sides.

This.

they are not real, who cares?

>using a made up definition that no one cares about to talk about dragons

An attack buff offers no advantage in that section whatsoever.

IATYQ:

That's because the Japs still know the difference between a dragon and a wyvern.

fucking christ