Board Game General /bgg/ - Back from the grave edition

>Last thread
>Pastebin
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Slept late, saw no /bgg/ but I've got no time to ask smart questions, work beckons. What're you planning/playing this weekend? Assuming it's payday (gotta be for somebody) what new toy are you running off to grab after work?

Other urls found in this thread:

eaglegames.net/product-p/101010.htm
lodev.org/tmai/
terra.snellman.net/
youtu.be/7R6_Chr2vro?t=15s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not payday, but I managed to snag a copy of 'Panic Station' for less than $20 delivered to my doorstep. :)

>What're you planning/playing this weekend?
Stronghold with the wife is probably all this weekend. Maybe a little netrunner, who knows.
>Assuming it's payday what new toy are you running off to grab after work?
Nothing's beckoning to my wallet right now, too much stuff I already have hasn't seen enough plays and there aren't really any hot releases drawing me astray. And I have enough kickstarters I'm waiting on.

>Assuming it's payday (gotta be for somebody) what new toy are you running off to grab after work?
I may not get it this paycheck, but I'd like to pick up a copy of Forbidden Stars before it's too late

Still looking for a game to play with my girlfriend. I searched for the games people suggested but they seemed too heavy. Is Elder Sign good for two? I really like the theme. And i made some research and found those game on pic.

forgot to mention that those are games that i can find easily around here and i dont have to import them.

Probably nothing

> Assuming it's payday (gotta be for somebody) what new toy are you running off to grab after work?

Too early for payday, but I'm thinking about ordering more heroscape.

Got a meetup on Saturday, but I probably won't bring anything that takes too long - maybe Good Cop Bad Cop or Multiuniversum. That reminds me, I need to invite some gaming buddies round for some of my heavier games
>Assuming it's payday (gotta be for somebody) what new toy are you running off to grab after work?
Ehhhhh... I might get that adaptor that lets you play Loopin' Chewie with 6 players (I got two sets for my brothers), or maybe Star Realms (with plenty of sleeves), or I could see if there's a reasonably-priced copy of Star Trek Catan floating around (there's one copy on eBay going for about $120 right now)...

Star Realms is pretty good, you can test it and Ascension out on the app first. A friend of mine loves 7 Wonders Duel, not sure how it actually plays. Imperial Settlers gets mentioned here a few times too.

Elder Sign is definitely fine at 2 (play 2 investigators each tho) it's a co-op so it scales well, box says 1-8 players, but it's really 1-4 (maybe 5 if you're desperate). Down time can be quite a bit with all the upkeep so 2 will actually feel better than 4.

Off your list in the pic? Flash Point/Pandemic are better co-op than Elder Sign, and King of Tokyo is a better yatzhee game. Elder Sign is a good core (it's a Knizia base design) but the theme is pasted on, and the game doesn't get really good depth without one of the last 3 expansions (Gates, Ice, Deep). Depends what you're really looking for, but Elder Sign the theme is all card text, which if you don't read, falls apart. If you're into Lovecraft, turn the lights down, play some spooky music, and make sure to read each card out loud as you play; it'll extend the game quite a bit, but it'll feel more alive.

Flash Point family variant is stupid simple, and I'm not sure I'd play it more than once to learn, unless I'm playing with small kids. The full game however has the ability to scale difficulty up/down really well, there's a lot of knobs to turn for complexity, and you don't NEED the expansions, but a single map pack for $10-15 gives a lot of variety. I always recommend it over Pandemic, not because it's a better game really, but because it's parts are more modular (play with just roles but no ambulance for easy, add extra hot spots/hazmat beyond what's called for if you want it to be Ghost Stories hard) and the dice makes it less predictable than Pandemic, so your strategies really can't be "perfect".

KoT is just the perfect dice chucker; push your luck, not a lot of options to cause AP, and fast; not a lot to be said about it, since the game is so straightforward, which is prolly why it gets more play than KoNY

Everything in your pic is good, recommended for casual gaming/2p. I'd skip Imperial Settlers, Hellas, Blood Rage til you know her likes/what works for you both.

Anyone else really enjoy playing Welcome to the Dungeon? Debating the expansion now.

Thanks bois. Really great advices.
Im now leaning towards the elder sign ( she loves horror stories and we are currently watching Penny Dreadful so the lovecraftian stuff would be nice but i dont know for how long ), and pandemic ( She is a biologist so the theme probably would please her too). I'll ask her about the themes of some of those games and see what i can take out of that list.

>there's one copy on eBay going for about $120 right now
>post yfw Minifig wasn't lying

>Minifig wasn't lying
He never lies, he just isn't always 100% accurate
>there's a copy on boardlandia for $50, 21 on amazon for $80 each, and BGG marketplace has them as low as €20

Planning on some A Game of Thrones LCG with my brother. I have to beat him this time since he kicked my ass last game. It's about the only 2 player game i can get him to play any more. It's pretty fun when we stay competitive with each other

>playing this weekend
Pandemic legacy maybe got a lot of dinners to attend.

>buying
Nothing at the moment but I just got seen vs avengers dice master starter so that may change soon

>seen
X-Men

>He never lies, he just isn't always 100% accurate
I'll take that in the spirit in which it was given.

But seriously, $120.

Question on Twilight Imperium 3ed Core: Say you're playing a 4 person game, if a player takes the Initiative Strategy, does that mean they can't use the primary ability on their other strategy card they choose? If not, do you still play it so everyone else can still tap the secondary ability? A massive argument broke out over this last night and answers on this are sparse online.

Yeah there's no argument for that stupidity; I mean I get that Catan has changed hands, and the ST license might not've gone with it, but still that's crazy high gouging.

>what new toy are you running off to grab after work?
Honestly?
eaglegames.net/product-p/101010.htm cause I played the fuck out of this when I was a kid (along with axis n allies)

You can use the primary ability of your second strategy card.

Thanks for the response. Would you happen to have anything official to back that up?

See page 31 for the four player rules. These modify the standard rules, which means that the game is played normally except for these alterations. If taking initiative in a four player game prevented you from taking a strategy action on your turn and activating the primary ability of your second strategy card, this is where it would say so.

It does not say so.

Also note that players don't take both their strategy card actions on the same turn, in case that was also unclear.

Much appreciated

Page 31 of the rulebook.
>Since each player will have two Strategy cards, players must now execute two separate Strategic Actions at some point during the Action Phase (one for each of their Strategy cards) before they are allowed to pass. Each individual Strategic Action is resolved as normal. A player may choose which of his Strategy Cards to execute first

No one? This is my favorite filler game right now

It's good, the hype was a little too high for it at release (though Iello did a really good job on the reprint), but I think that hurt it. It'll definitely stick around, and will be a push your luck filler that lasts for several years, but I think it's in the downswing like what happened with Spyfall. It came out, everyone screamed how awesome it was and it should win SDJ, and then 3 months later they forgot all about it for Codenames. 12-15 months later Spyfall has a standalone expansion, and it gets a lot of love, and I see it played all the time, but people don't gush over it like before. If someone asks to play they'll say sure, and enjoy it thoroughly, but it doesn't jump into a lot of minds when doing a word association with "filler"

I didn't like it at all. Maybe I played it wrong or something, but I felt almost ashamed after I showed it off and the boredom everyone felt was palpable.

You're in luck user, you'll get free shipping as long as you live in the US

I really like it too user. Apparently the stand-alone expansion doesn't really integrate well with the original because of the way equipment works, but it's fine if you just want another copy with different monsters and adventurers.

It happens man, don't feel bad. The first time I brought Spyfall along it fell flatter than Keira Knightley's chest. With a couple subsequent plays we got the hang of it and now enjoy it, but not every group is going to love every game.

I need help finding the name of a board game or toy from my childhood.

The toy was some monster head. You played on the monster's tongue. The tongue was mechanical and slowly reeled back in. The goal of the game was to roll die and escape from the tongue before your piece was physically eaten.

I barely remember it or any details. Does anyone have any idea of what I'm thinking of?

Snardvark.

True, some groups wont be receptive to some games.

I remember having shadows over camelot and everyone in our group fucking hated it. We love coops, it should've been a slam dunk. Played quite a few times, thinking we were doing something wrong. With traitor, without traitor. In the end I just had to get rid of it. I dont even think it's a bad game mechanically, but we never had a good time playing it.

Thank you.

bump

> planning
Arkham Horror LCG, or maybe Pandemic Legacy (depend if I'm willing to invite some friends or if it will just be my gf and I)

>Buying
Beside X-Wing, Arkham LCG, either the core vox or Dunwitch expansion. The base game feel poor and only one copy of the card is a pain.

Should I get another core box and roll with the first campaign with different character or should I get the expansion ?

Expansions, proxy the second set

Planning
Got invited to a friend's house, it's 2 couples and lonely me. Anyone got medium weight 5 player game recs? Not very"fuck you" style.

Fucking FFG cucks, deliberately including only 1 out of 3 copies of a card in their LCG core sets, they can choke on 3 tonnes of horse cocks, I won't fall for that scam.

Kemet

Do you guys sometimes feel your favorite board game becomes a bit stale and start changing some rules for it?

Just got back from a meetup, mostly played games that are nominated for this year's UK Games Expo Awards
>Ominoes
Cute little dice game - I lost pretty bad, but I definitely had fun
>Baobab
Charming dexterity game where you have to layer circular cards on top of the game tin to make a tree. Fuck toucans, and fuck bees
>Fishy Tactics
I'm tempted to buy this at full price, and I definitely wish I'd backed it - the whole thing is so beautifully simple and family-friendly.
>Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft
Holy BALLS is this bad. You have three meeples, and you can use them to spend tokens to buy cards, or get tokens to buy more cards. At the end, the person with the most of a certain type of card gets points.

That's it. That's the whole game. Yes, you can put a meeple on a beagle named Toby, but that's not enough to make this a good game.

Finished up with some Sushi Go Party to wash the taste of the shitty Sherlock Holmes game out of my mouth; the owner won by a stupid amount, which just made it even more fun.

No - because my group and I haven't played a ton of the same game (or small number of games) yet. We game 2 twice a month, but one of those two meet ups is RPG gaming. (Having a kick-ass campaign of "Mutant: Year Zero" at the moment.) That said, there's nothing wrong with liking a game and tweaking it to add interest / improve its longevity with the group. It's just easier to do this with story telling systems (like RPGs) than it is for most board games.

Seriously though, why IS this such a great movie?

Tim Curry.
How is that even a question?

The fact that it emulates the basic conceit of the board game well (even including the secret passages) and poking enough fun that you know it's affectionate in its piss-taking.

Why does betrayal at the house on the hill suck so much?

Oh, look the question that always gets posted at least once a week.

because you like gameplay instead of a story.

Because it's just boardgame ad-libs.

This, every movie he's in is gold
>One leg Jim, count em. One.

>Playing my first game of Kingdom Death Monsters
>My first survivor is still alive
>Has the Twilight Sword, Thrill Seeker, Berserker, Bitter Frenzy, almost all stats have at least +1
>Next year is not only Hooded Knight, but also King's Man
I'm getting tense. The guy running the game says he's never played a game thats survived the King's Man. I know were currently strong, but I dunno if were gonna be strong enough.

had a $250 voucher from my 21st.
got Terra Mystica, Sheriff of nottingham (not a fan), and Citadels
Played all yesterday, had a ball. Getting great Western Trail later in the week and playing that followed by a trivia night. Monday is my Uni-BG weekly meet, gonna play some Caverna and Inis. Good week for boardgames.

I've got the original japanese version so I never looked at the expansion. Or is it a stand alone game?

I played Carcassonne for the first time (not counting many hours of J-Cloister) today. Am I the only one who finds farming to take so long on a physical board that it's better to play without it?

Let me know your thoughts on Terra Mystica. I've really been looking into it recently

>finds farming to take so long on a physical board
What do you mean by this?

Dungeon of Mandom original? Nice. The expansion is a standalone Welcome Back to the Dungeon with a couple extra bits

Nope, you just have to not be retarded.

>because you like gameplay instead of a story.
The point of a boardgame is, like it says on the tin, to play a game. (Not "tell stories".)

There are other mediums that are suited for telling stories, and boardgames aren't it.

I agree, I was merely pointing out a probable cause for his lack of enjoyment.

Just hosted my brother's birthday party. Played a pretty dated game called Brief History of the World. It's basically a precursor to Small World. Not an incredibly deep game, but fun, even if dice chucky. We then had too many people to gather around later for one of his other games, so I pulled out Cash N Guns. Finally got to pay with special powers. Not drastically game changing, but I'll be using them for future games.

Bump

Played 4-man Castles of Burgundy, and a couple of rules issues sprung up.
Were we correct in:
A.- not giving out any more workers at the beginning of every phase after the first?
B.- assuming position in the boat track is persistent throughout all phases?

I grieve for the death of your inner child, user.

Even children get frustrated when they figure out you're only pretending to give them real choices.

Just Backed A.E.G.I.S for the Deluxe pack. Played it at a few cons over the years, and I think my local game lounge will enjoy it on board game night. Sucks that it will be almost a year before I get it though.

Betrayal doesn't tell a story. Mansions of madness tells a story. Betrayal is just repetitively flipping room tiles face up until a loose "story" is tacked on. Even then it isn't a story.

The reason Betrayal sucks is ACTUALLY because until the haunt occurs, there is no gameplay. You make no decisions, just "I explore through a door, a room appears and I follow the event/omen/item instructions".

It kinda tells a story, in the same way say Xia tells a story. That emergent story thing can be cool, but yeah. You need to have the player make decisions and actually guide it with, say, a game that has a goal. The most decision making you get in Betrayal before the haunt is finding the vault and deciding if you want to try to do that or not. But then that pointless first part bleeds into the next part because the arbitrary stuff they happens heavily influences whether you have a chance or not on the haunt.

I'm gonna download the terra mysica app and give it a shot. I'd rather spend $10 to test it out before I pay $70 and risk not liking the game

Ok user, you've got my interest. Can you tell me more about the experience and how the game plays? I'm dying for a robot fighting game that isn't trash, my hopes are now up that this could be the one. What did you like about it and is there anything you wish was done differently?

lodev.org/tmai/
terra.snellman.net/

Sweet, thanks user!

I own it and I've played it a few times. So far it's been interesting but it's never been "on the edge of your seat intense". I think I need to play it a few more times to get an accurate assessment but for the moment I'm more like

I need a boardgame for a birthday present, about 50/60 euros total.
We already have Catan, Mansions of Madness, Descent, Dominion and Zombicide. Something not too hard for 5/6 players.
It it's in spanish, that would be great

Carcassonne

It's one of my favorite games hands down and I will always recommend it to anyone who doesn't have it. The base game plays up to five people so you will have to get the Inns and Cathedrals expansion because it adds another color for a sixth player.

The tiles and game pieces have no words on them so they are language independent but I'm not sure if the rules are available in Spanish, sorry user.

youtu.be/7R6_Chr2vro?t=15s

Carcassonne is such a huge title they're probably available in fucking Yoruba.

>Gencon event catalog dropped today
>2 weeks to see what's available, what I want to demo, figure out how to slot it into a schedule so there's room for sleep/meals, and have 5 backups for every timeslot because when registration goes live the system is sure to shit itself
My OCD lives for days like today

Can't wait for them to arrive.

>$498
Jeez user
I'm sure it's good, but is really it ten other games good?

>$498
Good Lord almighty.

I hope you fucking LOVE that game user. and your friends also like it enough to play with you

Sub Terra is one that I'd have liked to have backed, but my gaming budget has limits.

I wish I had $438. Being in college is rough

I've got some things along the way. Already made back all my money from selling Dark Souls. Going to make more once they ship the stretch goals and I sell those and the bosses I got. Rising Sun is another safe bet that I'll be able to sell it for a profit if reports come in that it ain't great or even just piece meal out stuff I don't want from the bonus stuff. Deadly Premonition I plan to downgrade to the $30 tier if they don't give us a rule book and more details soon, but god damnit I WANT to like it.

>bought a sealed copy of Avalon Hill printing of Dragon Pass for $40-50USD less than unsealed copies
>arrived in mail today in well-padded package

tell me about your OOP purchase successes /bgg/

I just read through the rules and I'm very impressed, I really think I'm gonna back this game

>muh board state
I wish I was getting anything but living in the South is economically distressing, to say the least. I have good friends to play bg with though, so I'm ok with it. I'm starting to look at Descent but y'all mostly hate it, right? Does it do anything right? We play a lot of Elysium too and I'd like to get another card drafting game to the table.

Can someone recommend me a decent dungeon crawler on the cheap end of things? I really don't want to blow $100+ on the new Warhammer Quest.

Mythic battles doesn't even look that good dang man.

My qt3.14 gf and I play all the time. Just got her an expansion for one of her birthday gifts.

pls halp

I'm sorry user, I've never played that one. Hopefully someone else comes along

Yes and yes

I read some reviews of it. Interested but a bit sad all the combat is dice based.

I like that it has free international shipping though.

>tell me about your OOP purchase successes /bgg/

Picked up a copy of this in mint / unplayed condition for an incredibly reasonable price.

Is Torres out of print? Game day bring and buy for £10.

Painting Shadows of Brimstone very slowly. Great game, but the models are detailed. They are posed great, but lacking finer detail/sharp lines etc.