Ask my friends if they want to play a 5e campaign because i have something in mind

>ask my friends if they want to play a 5e campaign because i have something in mind
>>nah, it's too bland
>suggest 3e instead
>>nah, it's too imbalanced
>suggest we play some other system, i dig other things
>>what do you have in mind
>how about shadowrun?
>>nah it's too complicated and the narrative is too limiting, it's always basically the same
>how about call of cthulhu then
>>it's too niche and the system is boring

whoever says the solution of "i'm not playing anything" is to start your own group and GM yourself is wrong

You're friends are either shit or don't actually want to play. probably both.

Have a look to see if your LGS has RPG nights. Might be a better way of finding people who are keen to play.

>cthulhu is too niche
Shit taste.

>narrative is too limiting
Ah, so they're freeform faggots then?

Try Risus, they'll love Risus.

>Narrative

Oh okay, so Burning wheel.

OP, have you tried asking your group what they are actually interested in playing?
Or are you just trying to get (You)'s?

Have you considered suggesting a good system? Like GURPS?

Honestly I made a gurps mallet/conversion hammer, I use it when people say GURPS it's bad.

I bet they'll say yes to FATAL

Force them

No, fuck em, you gonna make a campaign of 5e or whatever you want and they gonna play it and like it

Really it doesn't matter what you play but with who you play. I've played with friends my own bland imbalanced complicated niche homebrew and we had a fucking blast

When this happens, you tell them that game night is saturday at 6pm, and that all they need to bring is dice and pizza money.
Then you make premade characters for whateverthefuck you want to run and you fucking run it.

GURPS is best

I'm willing to bet that such phrase is mostly posted by people who have never played it for the sake of making people angry

In other words, fucking bait
In more ancient words, trolling

Find another group.

When they ask, say that they didn't want to play anything.

Solved.

I'll play your 5e campaign if it's online user.

your taste in systems are shit anyways, can't blame them for seeing through that

You know how I know you only play D&D and d20?

>call of cthulhu
Your friends are right, this really is a shit game. It doesn't do anything mechanically interesting as an investigative game.

i haven't tried it out at all, they're probably right on that account

I play
Vampire the mascarade
Werewolf the apocalypse
Dungeons the dragoning
5e
AD&D
Dark Heresy
Final fantasy rpg 4e
Firebal!
Paranoia
Call of cthulu
I've even played a couple of sessions of Magos del Tiempo
And of course fucking GURPS

>good system
>gurps

shitposting aside, i've considered doing it, but none of us has had any experience with it and neither me or anyone else in the group has what it takes to be a GURPS GM

>ask my friends if they want to play a 5e campaign because i have something in mind
>>nah, it's too bland
>suggest 3e instead
>>nah, it's too imbalanced

Seems like they want to play 4e

I know shitfuck about 4e so I didn't suggest it as something i'd DM, but i'm pretty sure half of them dislike it because it's too videogamey or something

West End Star Wars D6?

Not complicated because it's literally 1 dice. It's got so much potential for story telling and roleplay it's crazy. It's fucking star wars.

>Call of Cthulhu is too niche
>probably the number two or three tbletop game in existence, after D&D and maybe World of Darkness
>too niche

???????

It sounds like they just don't want to play.

>literally one dice
More like fucking dozens of the same die user

>>cthulhu is too niche
>Shit taste.

I'll say. Cthulhu is like the most mainstream "weird fiction" you can get.

>5e has simple rules, right up my alley in terms of crunch to fluff rules
>5e also has a huge community of thirsty players everywhere, meaning it'd be easy to get some
>dislike the magic system
>dislike the races/high fantasy staples
>if I take these out the brand recognition will be gone and people won't join up my game easily

It's just not fair bros. I'm a forever gameless DM

try harder

I would suggest twilight:2000 ... personally I'd go with 1e d100 system as it's more robust and char gen is easier, though 2.5e is a d20-style system (though not what most think of when they think d20... it's not D&D/PF)

Make a .pdf with your changes and your setting and make a primer.

Races are the easiest thing to change, just make sure your replacements are balanced.

Magic system is trickier. What do you have in mind?

>Your friends are either shit or don't actually want to play. probably both.
This.

Preferably, something like Ars Magica. The art/element + form is a nice compromise between purely elemental magic and more abstract stuff, plus its a nice mix between structured and freeform magic.

You will have to explain in detail what you are doing, because I have little idea of what does that mean.

Essentially Ars Magica magic works like this.

Every spell uses an Art + Form. The Art is either Create, Perceive, Change, Destroy, or Control. They do what you'd expect, except Control also includes telekinesis or moving things about in space.

Then the Form. The Form is typically an element or some basic aspect of reality apparent to medieval peoples. So the forms are Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Beasts, Plants/Wood, Human Body, Human Mind, Images, and Prime. Images in this case are defined by actual phenomenon that exist (like being able to 'see' something or smell or hear as an abstract 'image' element of reality that could be manipulated) and Prime is magical energy itself.

Combing these two together basically let you do anything you could think of which is why I like it so much. So combining Fire + Create lets you throw fire, generate heat or light. Fire + Destroy lets you either snuff out fires or make unnatural darkness or cold, and so on.

As for porting it to DnD 5e... I don't really know how you'd do it. Possibly a magic point system for mana + limited traditions or skill points each level you could use to improve your abilities within each sphere?

Any daily limit or the like?

wow big boy

But GURPS is the best though.

In Ars Magica I believe it uses the characters stamina so they get more tired.

Personally I would use a mana system, but yes daily limits based on regrowing mana. So you could use a mana point system to help with that.

I mean it's not thaaaat bad. Worst I've ever seen at our table was near the end of a 2 year campaign(s) my droid was rolling 18d6 for starship piloting.

So, muh fels shit, D&D garbage, some meme games and CoC?
Whoa there buddy.

Just run what you want and see who shows up

Play 4e.