What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Drill
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nothing?

The game outgrew the developers

MK3.

The team deviated from their original vision of "metal robots and monsters" and became another game of plastic infantry.

they really fucked up with over the top wow-like artwork

What was wrong with it

- Not realizing from the beginning that they'd made infantry squads not only too effective (in mk.I), but also too large. (should have fewer models to a squad, but make them slightly more survivable) (smaller squads also makes the game more approachable by requiring less painting)

- Switching to plastic

- Failing to realize that a game where figures act independently shouldn't have large numbers of figures. Forgetting that they'd set out to make a skirmish game

- Hordes as a full-fledged companion game instead of just being a bit of alternative flavoring

- Making Warcasters too powerful individually

- Not realizing at first that taking Warjaks weakens Warcasters. Trying to patch it up with bullshit like "warjack points" that still doesn't actually address the problem, it just gives you free shit instead.

- Responding to viable all-infantry lists by making all-warjack lists viable. ('jack marshals)

- Giving Warcasters a million different spells and abilities (nobody wants to read and memorize all that shit)

- Switching to plastic

- Too much emphasis on charges and striking first

- Too much emphasis on combos

- Thinking over-the-top powerful abilities is a good thing

- Colossals

- Departing from the more grounded visual style into cartoony bullshit

- Switching to plastic

>- Switching to plastic
Why is that bad?

Privateer Press has poor quality plastic. It's not like Games Workshop's.

He's just being autistic.

But PP plastic is pretty awful to work with.

Cramming too much into one game. The setting is smaller than Western Europe and they pushed enough shit in there to fill Asia.

Also in a game focussed around heroes, they made a million and one heroes and ten million infantry.

>- Responding to viable all-infantry lists by making all-warjack lists viable. ('jack marshals)

Whats wrong with that?

Noone wants to be able to use giant robots in their game about giant robots.

For me the ultra competitive community. Same shit put me off from infinity.

I thought that was just them trying to take the focus back to giant robots, even if infantry are part of that equation.

Nothing, really.

The game is good.

There's a big difference between WoW ish "my pauldrons are literally have asteroids floating around them, and are on fire" stuff and designs more in the veins of pic related, where most of Warmahordes sits.

I can only really think of a few warnouns with offensively big shoulderpads.

He's being sarcastic.

Probably.

>I can only really think of a few warnouns with offensively big shoulderpads.

Most of those are Khador and Skorne aren't they?

I think so.

Vlad is probably the biggest offender when it comes to unnecessary shoulders. Nigga even wore his ridiculous pauldrons to his wedding.

I can't think of any other Khador ones off the top of my head, but Skorne... have... Xerxis and Zaadesh?

Kreoss2's shoulders are pretty hench.

Eh, I shouldn't have said "viable." An occasional all-infantry force is fine (actually a good thing to mix-up gameplay), as is very Jack-Heavy. The problem originally was all inf. dominating play. All (or mostly) Jack lists being common is its own kind of blandness, and makes Jacks seem less impressive if they don't have smaller dudes alongside them. They need to be complimentary.

>They need to be complimentary.

At this point they kind of are.

Most armies are now 3-4 warjacks and a unit of infantry, with some solos scattered around. Only two factions can really do alljacks well.

I have painted more Warmahordes than anyone on this site and logged hundreds of hours of Mk2/3.

Mk3 is awful and has irrevocably damaged the game's credibility. They didn't beta mk3 and two years later are now doing CID like it'll bring people back.

The game is too big, the models are expensive, uncustomizable, and unfunded to paint.

Guild Ball's already eclipsed MK3 in terms of quality for competitive miniatures and Games Workshop makes better models which leaves Warmahordes with no niche to fill

>- Colossals

Whats wrong with those?

Scale inflation.

Colossals are surprisingly delicate, they're far harder to play well on the table than most people expect.

Its more the sense of scale of the game, than the actual power level. You have these massive kaiju-sized robots with massive guns and and fists... fighting 10-20 guys...

It feels like when they introduced the super-heavies into 40k as a non-Forgeworld option. The sense of scale of the battle and what you actually see on the table clashes. And I know that Warmahordes was always set up to be a small part of the bigger battle, it still doesn't feel right.

Eh, Colossals aren't that big, even based on the scale of the table they're still maybe only ten times larger than a normal human. That's big, but hardly impossible big.

Mk3 did a lot of damage. I liked mk2 a lot despite its flaws and some shit DID need to be nerfed like Evayl and Elylyth or Hailey 2 or Cryx in general. But the rebalancing act they did completely gutted some factions like Cryx and Skorne and pretty much every skorne player I knew dropped the faction and/or the game due to that.

I need pictures.

>53207590

I can confirm this as a Skorne player who was guilt-tripped into playing a journeyman league

The minis are, imho, absolutely horrendous. They are rigid, one pose metal mushballs that fall apart like rotting wood if they aren't pinned.

And I have lost every game NOT because I did anything wrong, but because I never went first.

Its the most bullshit and infuriating thing to go through, to lose half your models on a charge because "bonus die."

Not to mention the games rigid as shit at times as well. There is a solid three correct strategies and 3000 wrong ones.

Overall there are better games in general.

>TFW you could have used the money spent on WM/H on Forgeworld minis

Of wedding pauldrons.

Your fucking BB caster's feat totally cancels out the benefit of the charge bonus, man.

There's a lot of issues with Xekaar, but he's fine in BB games.

Don't blame your inexperience on the game itself.

No playing like they have a pair.

This guy gets it

It would, if anybody actually charged.

Whenever I popped the feat, people just stood back and took pot shots, and I would be out of charge radius for most of their units.

Basically inexperience compounded with playing against better players equals a horrible first experience.

At this point he's doing it on purpose.

That's true if you're a weakwilled faggot.If you surrender when your betters stomp you, you'll always be a weakwilled shitstain and a failure as both a human and a being.

Grow a pair cry baby.

t. Got buttfucked when starting anything until he got fucking good instead of crying like a sissy

Warmachine/Hordes is a game predicated on being , and I'm not using this term ironically, a complete WAACfaggot. Its heavily encouraged. They designed it with tournament play first and foremost and its the community they have catered since day one.

If you wanted something lighter and more enjoyable I would actually suggest Age of fucking Sigmar or Malifaux. Even Infinity is less egregious with its balance and player attitudes.

>muh page 5

You are the cancer ruining this hobby.

Metal is the worst material to work with and the farther away from that they get, the better.
Know why? Gluing it together. They make so many of the tiny spindly fiddly bits out of metal that falls off again if you look at it funny.
I'm trying to build Feora 3 right now. Tiny little arms holding big fucking flamethrower axes?

KMN

I thank Menoth that you are not in charge of anything important, you enormous autist.

Whoever said I would surrender. If I popped the feat people would just laugh and not charge, because they knew if they did it was suicide.

I was understandably peeved as it got pretty old, so I changed to Zaal.

I understand that in order to get better I have to fucking get bent over and taught how not to play the game.

You haven't worked with fiddly bits until you've assembled Mortenebra.

I reccommend you find something similiar to this and begin pinning your metal minis.
games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Drill

So run forward with your beasts to make sure he can't just walk away.

Oh I've got a drill and I can pin, but there are some things that are just a little too small to do with. And sometimes things are so heavy that a good pinning job still breaks the glue. The standard bearer for the Exemplar Errants? Christ that thing is heavy.

In all seriousness, wtf is wrong with Jason Soles's head. Did he become a Hare Krishna or something?

Would Warmahormachindes have benefited from being a "pre-assembled, pre-painted" game?
I'd still repaint the minis

Rules change after rules change after rules change

The game is an unstable turd

It's pretty much why I set the game aside. Stuff changes too drastically too often (especially playing Skorne), so until there's a long enough stretch of time without significant errata I'll stick to Infinity.

Also new models for CoC. I get it's limited, but it's five years old almost and a new colossal doesn't change the game much, especially when Axiom is still damn good.

lol fuck no

Not much. It took them a while but Mark 3 is actually really solid right now. I think that they are facing an uphill battle with cheaper games that have better models like Malifaux and Guild Ball though.

Well why didn't you charge them instead?
You do have rush, you can buff your speed.

You can nitpick all you want, but wmh is still the biggest and most likely the best alternative to warhammer. And considering that warhammer is more expensive, less balanced and the opinions on visuals/lore are personal it will keep getting a fair share of the market. Unless another alternative comes out, which suprisingly doesn't seem to be the case after warpath's stillbirth.

It doubles as a helmet