/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than we can possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
>Now in Homebrew megafolder

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)

Previous thread: →

Share that homebrew you're particularly proud of, be it a piece of kit, fluff, planet or a voidship,

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B5UxOYfi63gvU2hBY2dYcHZUcjg/view
mega.nz/#F!gno2WIhY!SdhnB3RPP4UMSvxLlE8Vyg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Share that homebrew you're particularly proud of, be it a piece of kit, fluff, planet or a voidship,

Since I'm OP this time and have a huge love of cocks, let me start off by reposting stuff from the last thread.

The wip document for my homebrewed sector, Acheron. An old and decadent shithole with pretentions of being the only civilized place in the pimply blackened ass end of the Eastern Fringe it finds itself.

And the wargear I've made for my games. Somewhat hit and miss since it's a combination of being the first stuff I ever homebrewed and things I've learned as I've gone by.

Veeky Forums I've been trying to build a tzaangor, but I'm stuck. Every talent it needs as a frontliner sends its alignment to Khorne, while its best abilities need it to be Tzeentch. How the fuck do I build this thing while keeping true to the fluff?

Does Deathwatch have rules for Carcharodons Astra in some book or am I imagining things?
I'm pretty sure I have heard of this chapter in this game..

Did you check the splat books? A bunch of chapters are scattered among them.

>Does Deathwatch have rules for Carcharodons Astra in some book
Honor the Chapter, page 90 or so.

I knew I had heard of it somewhere!

And I had missed that book for some reason. Thanks mate.

Dead like necrons

>Death World
>Scapegrace
>Renegade
>Ship-Lorn
>Pride
>Navigator - Renegade House
Help my GM has a hard on for loyalism and we have to deal with an inquisitor, we also have one player who got mutated and has tentacles for her left arm.

Remove tentacle and replace with unweak metal.

It honestly hadn't occurred to us to amputate the mutation. I think she likes them though, kind of odd the Explorator didn't suggest that already.
What about me though? I have -30 to interaction tests with Inquisition and my Fellowship is 32 how am I supposed to avoid being killed by him?

Hide in a closet and have someone else speak for you.

Anyone have homebrewed fixes for Thrall Wizards in BC? As written they're very easy to abuse.

I do have the Contortionist skill and Unnatural Agility trait from my starting Navigator mutations so hiding somewhere shouldn't be too hard for me either.

Dumb newbie question: when rolling a Black Crusade archetype from one of the Tomes, do you still get the racial starting XP to customize your character or is all that wrapped up in the large amount of experience they already have from the special archetype? I want to get another exotic weapon proficiency for a Noise Marine and then buy him a Blastmaster using the Wealth pride right out of the gate, but if he doesn't have the 500 starting xp he's gonna have to wait a bit before he could actually use the thing.

Don't have the book in front of me, but I believe that if you pick an advanced archetype the default assumption is that you don't get any starting xp.

Advanced Archetypes are already leagues ahead of the Core Archetypes in terms of experience and ability.
Just use your Sonic Blaster, get Exotic Weapon Training (Blastmaster) when you can and make an acquisition Infamy test when you do.

You can just eat the -20 to using it when making things go boom. You'll just have to roll on scatter.

What's the best way to build a human duellist dedicated to Slaanesh in Black Crusade with only Core Archetypes.
I want to be able to match CSM in melee combat and I was thinking starting as Renegade with +10 in Parry and getting Counterattack then using Defensive Stance in combat, Duellist's Grip on my sword. All the Evasion Bonuses should make me a monster in 1v1 melee combat even against Astartes right?
Also does Adroit apply to Parry Checks if I select WS?

Killing Strike says hi.

If I'm in a Defensive Stance they still take -20 to the attack.
Also I just realised I was thinking of Guarded Action to help me parry and counter.
I'll be aiming for some Light Power Armor to boost my survival chances too.

Thanks for the feedback. I might go with a Doom Siren instead then since it's a Spray weapon and doesn't roll to hit. What happens using spray if you're not proficient in it, actually? Higher jam chance? I didn't see anything immediately pop out.

There aren't really clear rules on it. I've played in games in the past where people choosing basic archetypes got starting XP and those choosing advanced ones did not, but even still the advanced archetypes have more XP/toys. It depends on what your group is cool with and if everyone is stressing out about balance.

The way you beat killing strike is by winning initiative on them and killing them first. Not difficult.

RAW there's no penalty. Most GMs I know give the targets a +20 on their agility test to avoid if the user is not proficient.

The best way to do it is with a psyker, IMHO. There are a lot of Slaanesh psychic powers based around being a psycho speed freak blender, in particular one that lets you make two attack actions in a turn as long as you are dual wielding and they are both lightning attacks. IIRC the way it works is you get to go "Lightning attack with right hand. Lightning attack with left hand. Lightning attack with right hand. Lightning attack with left hand."

If anything is still standing after that you're in trouble though, but if you build your character right even greater demons will die to that shit. Also you can dual wield Force Swords as a Slaanesh psyker, and that's neat.

But Psykers start with almost no combat ability, which means getting some combat ability will align me towards Khorne...
I'd have to purchase Ambidexterous and Two Weapon Fighting (Melee) bringing me to 750xp of my starting xp gone, as well as actual Weapon Training (Force), then my starting acquisitions would be spent on getting a Force Sword and that's Near Unique so I wouldn't even have a Good one alongside some Light Power Armor.

Force Weapons don't require a weapon training IIRC.

Yeah, it's a long term build. Starting off, you're better off using something simple like psychic bolts. If you want to go toe to toe with space marines, though, you either need the mark of Nurgle, something like a hellblade, or to be a psyker. Basic Slaanesh duelist ain't gonna cut it, in most cases.

They require weapon training (Primary) or low-tech.

Yeah, but everyone in BC has that.

some highlights from my rogue trader game

>killing a daemon prince then looting his palace in retaliation for breaking one of our servo skulls
>using an ancient eldar technology to get high
>putting space vampires on a planet we own that is perpetually dark and charging them to live their.
>putting prison planet colonist on the vampire planet to mine it and also as food for the vampires.
>Having the local space marine chapter recruit the settlers from our vampire planet. They all use power whips.
>Killed a warrant holder by letting her crew know that she was/wasn't allied with the empire/chaos/tau/eldar/d.eldar causing a ship wide mutiny.
its a fun game

I don't want to go Mark of Nurgle, I want to be a Slaaneshi Duellist who can match a Space Marine in a sword fight and use Counterattack and Parry bonuses to do so.
Though I do like the idea of a Slaaneshi Psyker Wyrd from a primitive world dual wielding force swords with Duellist's Grips and calling Space Marines "giant bastards"

Are there any good youtube videos of someone going over the basics of how combat works? For dark heresy 2nd ed if possible.

Well that sounds like a fun backstory. There's plenty of precedent for Wyrd-Warriors, especially from backwater worlds. It's worth noting that unless you're tweaking some rules, you won't be aligned to Slaanesh at character creation.

I won't be starting aligned to Slaanesh but I can roleplay as worshipping Slaanesh over the others and work towards alignment.
So I checked and even if I get Infamy of only 20 I should be able to start with 2 Best craftsmanship Swords with Duellist's Grip and Common Light Power Armor.
I'd start with Parry trained, spend 750 starting xp on Two Weapon Fighter (Melee) and Ambidextrous, then maybe grab Lightning Reflexes to start aligning towards Slaanesh.
I'm thinking getting Precognition as my main starting power, but that's only +6 to WS for Parry, is that even worth it? It's only +4 if I use it Fettered which is safer.

So, in Only War, I'm building a Frenzy character.

Now, one question raised by my DM is what the hell happens to my comrade if I ever fail my willpower tests, since he's technically going to be right next to me when I rage.

So, question is, should I teach my comrade to play dead, or just end up being the dude no one wants to work with?

IMHO I think that it's best to stick to parrying with your staff at first. You're not going to be particularly good in melee to start with, mainly because your damage will suck; pick a good damaging psychic power at character creation and focus on that (Doombolt is excellent), using a balanced weapon (like a staff or sword) to parry with at the start. Think like DnD spellsinger and you're not far off.

One thing that I'd suggest is talking to your GM about using the psychic power system from OW; it slots into BC just fine, and makes the lower-level psychic powers more useful, fixes how OP some are (that psychic storm one in telekinesis) and makes Pyromancy actually good at killing things.

The other thing about Black Crusade is that you don't always have control over how your character advances. You start unaligned, which is good, because it means you can buy the Khorne and Nurgle talents you care about while they're too expensive, and then later you get discounts on all of the Slaanesh talents. However, if you get some Corruption at a bad time, you can change alignment when you don't want to. And you get your first mutation at 10 corruption. So if you're really dead set on getting that mangina mutation, make sure to buy Slaanesh talents up quick. Fastest way to do that is to buy skills, so make sure that with your starting psyker skill picks you don't buy Deceive, for example. Buy 1st-rank Slaanesh aligned skills, then tier 1 Slaanesh talents, then Khorne and nurgle stuff (leave as much as possible the Tzeentch and unaligned stuff alone at start, there's no benefit to buying it early).

You should probably worry more about the Commissar. In any case, take that talent that lets you re-roll wp tests to come out of frenzy, and lets you parry while frenzied. That'll help. Don't forget the bonus to WP from frenzy makes it a bit easier to come out of it.

Didn't want to blow the talent points, since I wasn't too focused on Parry, and Play Dead's 50 xp cheaper(and doesn't leave me with 50xp hanging).

Plus I honestly like the idea of being more uncontrollable, with my comrade preferring to play dead than even trying to calm me down.

It sounds like you just want to cause problems. Being able to Parry while frenzied is a huge advantage, since you'll be amazing at it.

I was thinking Psychic Scream as my starting Psy Bolt, Thought Sending as Prerequisite and Precognition for some Evasion bonuses.
Psykers start with a sword, using some of my starting Aquisition to get it at best craftsmanship with a Duellist's Grip seems worth it to me.
Black Crusade Psykers use a sword not a staff, at least that's their starting thing, though they could start with a whip instead.
Purchasing Ambidextrous and TWF seems best at first, then I'm already pretty set to start with for my melee abilities as long as my weapon skill isn't shit. My basic attacks would be two half action standard attacks made at +10 WS, since the Best craftsmanship cancels out the -10 penalty of TWF and Standard Attacks are made at +10, and any Parry I take would be at +20 (from Duellist's Grip + Balanced).
Then Lightning Reflexes gives me better chances to go first, and I can purchase Deceive, Charm, Acrobatics, and either Dodge or another Slaanesh Talent to get my +5 alignment to Slaanesh, and having spent no XP on other alignments, as starting skills/talents and unaligned talents don't count towards alignment, I should get to Slaanesh alignment rather quick, though maybe not for my first mutation unfortunately. Unless I don't get a lot of Corruption.

My group is really, really adverse to playing Deathwatch, claiming Spehss Mahrines are no fun to roleplay.
I'd let it go at that but they seem to think Marines are mindless, emotionless supersoldiers with no individuality beyond chapter identity. And that sort of chafes.
How do convince?

Ask them what the space wolves, blood ravens, black templar, dark angels, and iron hands are.

>I was thinking Psychic Scream as my starting Psy Bolt, Thought Sending as Prerequisite and Precognition for some Evasion bonuses.

The main thing about Doombolt is that it's Pen 8 and fires like a semi-auto weapon. Go read the power, it's in the core book and has NO prerequisites. One of the perks you get for being on Team Chaos. Let's you threaten even Astartes, albeit with your psychic mojo and not your weapons.

>Psykers start with a sword, using some of my starting Aquisition to get it at best craftsmanship with a Duellist's Grip seems worth it to me.

That's not how acquisition works. Also, to be frank, swords just don't deal enough damage to be very useful. You'd be better off using your acquisition to get something more long-term useful, like one of those psychic fishing lures for summoning demons in the Khorne book.

>Purchasing Ambidextrous and TWF seems best at first

Seems, sure, but it's not particularly useful in the system. What happens if you run into something tough? Doesn't matter how accurate you are, you won't be able to damage them. And, like I said, try to avoid investing in unaligned talents until you gain some corruption. You'll thank me later.

>Then Lightning Reflexes gives me better chances to go first, and I can purchase Deceive, Charm, Acrobatics, and either Dodge or another Slaanesh Talent to get my +5 alignment to Slaanesh, and having spent no XP on other alignments, as starting skills/talents and unaligned talents don't count towards alignment, I should get to Slaanesh alignment rather quick, though maybe not for my first mutation unfortunately. Unless I don't get a lot of Corruption.

Well, you'll be 50 xp short of having 5 slaanesh advances at character creation, but that's ok. Either get dodge or precog dodge at character creation, helps you because you can't parry ranged attacks, otherwise some dude with a long las could ruin your day.

Think like the Arthurian cycle. Astartes should have larger-than-life personalities, embark on heroic quests, and have friendly rivalries and vicious enmities.

I enjoy creating minor Xenos races and fluff since the Koronus Expanse apparently has a ton of minor races. So far I think my best ideas are an off-shoot of human AIs that disappeared leaving behind their bizarre architecture and a race swallowed up by the warp after they tinkered with the warp one too many times.

It doesn't sound like a very challenging campaign. Sorta just seems like you're all lolrandumb XD that guys.

I'm honestly going more dodge than Parry, and in general I'm frenzying when I'm not really close to anyone else in the group, which is why I'm not especially worried about attacking them. It's only my comrade I'm concerned about.

Psychic Scream ignores Armor and Toughness Bonus, just deals straight up explosive damage to the head. Feels a little more useful than Pen 8 to be honest.

Well I can't start with a Force Sword unless it's Poor quality and that isn't an option. I meant one of my acquisitions can be two Best Swords with Duellist's Grips and I can just toss the Good one. They'll work for a bit until I get my hands on some Force Swords. Best Craft Force Swords with Duellist's Grips is gonna be a bitch to get.

Okay, so if I leave those two talents behind what would be best for a Slaaneshi Wyrd-Warrior?

So if I grab Dodge, Acrobatics, Deceive, and Charm, that's 800 of my starting XP towards Slaanesh, what else could I get? I'd be 50xp under grabbing a talent or fellowship boost.

It ignores non-warded armor. The target still gets their toughness.

Oh I misread Warp Weapon.
Still, Shocking and Warp Weapon, plus explosive damage directly to the head.
Also seems better for Fluff to have Psychic Scream as a Slaaneshi Wyrd-Warrior.

This. Also, its range is anemic, and you only get one shot. Doombolt hits multiple targets (Or the same target multiple times) and is a very thematically "Chaos" power. What's more, it doesn't give you a -20 penalty to try to use it. If you're succeeding on a Warp Scream, you would have hit them twice with Doombolt. And don't forget, people can still dodge Warp Scream.

Disregard alignment; it's one of the worst things about BC.

I seem to recall Rogue Traders having an ability where they can give a bonus to anyone doing something they want done but can't find it. What is it called? Am I just high?

Under special abilities at the end of the career path chapter. Rogue trader has a pretty odd layout.

Thanks very much, user.

Will an Artificial Intelligence make a suitable BBEG for a Dark Heresy campaign?

Sure

Absolutely.

Outside of admech and a few PC alt career things, how is it seen to get cybernetics for the sake of cybernetics i.e. replacing a perfectly good arm/eye with a common quality bionic arm/eye instead of getting an augur array or MIU or such?

Yes.

One of the most memorable campaigns we had was an AI that a planetary governor had been using as an advisor since he didn't identify it as an AI and thought it was the planets spirit or something.

The population of this planet lived in deep sinkholes and tunnels (akin to Utapau from Revenge of the Sith), and the party was sent to investigate a cave in that killed a whole bunch of members of the Administratum. They were collateral damage from the AI trying to kill a separatist group

It was more of an investigationary campaign. They defeated the BBEG by pulling the plug on him and stomping on the USB card

>Everyone says you aren't really a person, TuringBot9000 but I can't tell the difference!

Depends on the crowd. A warrior among warriors on a high tech planet will be understood and accepted. Same guy, medieval planet: fear and confusion.

How does Deathwatch play? I've been interested in DM'ing some 40k some time

superpowers supermen where nothing is a challenge

Not this guy, but if I wanted to do an Only War campaign in the Jericho Reach how much downscaling would I have to do from the Deathwatch sourcebooks?

I know that you're space marines, but how can nothing be a challange? That sounds ridicolous

tb8 with armor 10, weapons that even with errata will destroy anything because fury farming, implants that ignore many game rules, and stats and traits inflated so high you're getting 95% and higher chance of success by rank 2

>Jericho Reach

not much, just usevtroop and elite enemies.

The problem is the Jericho reach no longer exists anymore.

817M41 is the designated start year.

This. It saves us from nucanon

Fuck it. Rule Zero. Never happened.

For Dark Heresy, on a weapon that is 3D10 + 4 E, what does E stand for ?

Damage type (Energy).

It's the type of damage it deals, E is energy, R rending, I impact, and X explosive.

It's ridiculous how many people don't understand this

Your story doesn't have to be set in M41.999, you have ten thousand fucking years of an entire fucking galaxy to work with!

They're starting to merge it all together though, thanks to that Circumcision Maledictum thing. The past is bleeding into the present, and the future. We're already up to the Fifth Sphere of Expansion thanks to that big warpcrack, so time periods are no defense anymore.

>Circumcision Maledictum
Speaking ill of circumcisions? I gotta start working with a younger crowd...

How do you do a first aid test in Dark Heresy ?

I know in a thread a few months back someone mentioned that there was a pretty decent ruleset in one of the Stars Without Number books for running various factions interacting with one another behind the scenes as time went on. Does anyone remember which book that was exactly? Was it just the core book? I was thinking about seeing how well it mapped onto Rogue Trader.

I've seen people make their own pic rel sectors. How I can do that? Probably photoshop? How do I do it? Where do I start?

drive.google.com/file/d/0B5UxOYfi63gvU2hBY2dYcHZUcjg/view

A handy set of templates for just that

To my knowledge, multiple anons' work is in these templates, but this iteration of it is the work of the user who makes the Prosperitas sector

repost tzaangor please

Okay, for DH1e am I right in saying that if I want to be a murderous tech-priest of the 'kill crush destroy' type then general wisdom is to be a regular tech-priest up to rank 3, then at rank 4 start taking the secutor alternate ranks?

Yeah, the Secutor is the combat techpriest.

Is there anything worth taking earlier or just regular tech-priest up to there?

May God Emperor bless you user

Roll it with appropriate situational modifiers?

Accuitor Assassin from Lathe Worlds at level 2.
Gives you options to be sneaky about it, boobytrap systems and go into close combat frenzy.

I didn't really know whether to put this in the 40K General or this one but I think you guys would give better feedback.

I'm running a Dark Heresy campaign and have an idea for a BBEG. What do you guys think of the Biologis faction of the Mechanicum alongside the Ordo Xenos experimenting on Tyranid tissues to try to figure out how their psyker powers work? In their experiments they used weak human psykers as guinea pigs. One of them went full Tetsuo from Akira and broke containment.

Acting as a beaten he drew a Hive Fleet to the planet. Instead of assimilating his biomass however, he integrated with or consumed any Tyranid matter he came in contact with. Now even the other Tyranids are trying to steer clear of his influence and the party has to stop him from forming a completely new Hive Fleet

*acting as a beacon

It sounds pretty interesting, but the stakes seem pretty high. Dealing with a Hive Fleet is top level Deathwatch stuff, not really something a Dark Heresy campaign would deal with. That said, the idea is interesting. Perhaps limit it to just the Magus Bioligos facility with some tyranid specimens within rather than involving a Hive Fleet?

You did good job placing it here. The idea is radical, something that may make grognards reee, but I like it. Well you have it figured it out, but I would add up the outcome of such integration. The obvious, physical one and something about it making him inhumane, I would make his behaviour strange, outlandish. I wouldn't make him the final BBEG, however. Remember this is the tyranid stuff. I would make him a pawn which thought that it outplayed tyranids, when in fact it isn't. I would drop it almost at the end, making the players race against the time. This is only my way of seeing it, since idea is great and I might use it in future. Remember to pastebin/green text it here after you GM it.

I am the poster of and I agree. Maybe make the Hive Fleet fuckery as an outcome of an Acolyte Cell failure? If this fact is visible from the start, not hidden - then especially it seems logical that the Kill Team would be sent instead of Acolytes.

Almost everytime i come into a 40k rpg thread I wish i still had those beast voice samples from homework to post.

mega.nz/#F!gno2WIhY!SdhnB3RPP4UMSvxLlE8Vyg

Here is my favorite biologis/logis daemon sound effects and a version of xmplay with the plugin to play them. Ever played homeworld cataclysm?

>There will never be a Homeworld 3 because DoK didn't sell enough

I'm currently running an Only War game and my operator player has been working more and more over time with the Mechanicus. What would be the best way of showing this mechanically? I'm thinking of making a home-brew advanced speciality for him to become a lay brother of possibly full initiate but not 100% sure how.

They let him joyride an ordinatus minoris for a day

I can't decrypt it, it just keeps loading forever. What's the reason behind it?

ransomware