MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL

Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

best ramps/search edition please post

This thread is for the competitive discussion of the modern format. Kitchen table discussion is not welcome, but they don't read OPs anyway. For reference the average deck will run you anywhere from $400-$2000.

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?
>Bans/Unbans?

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/8/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-5817

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/esper-tempo-light/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragon-hive-1/?cat=type&sort=cost
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-06-14-how-to-train-your-oh-sweet-mother-of-god/?cat=type&sort=cost
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-05-17-dont-tread-on-me/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm tinkering with a Gruul Dragon Tribal. Should I put Transverse over pic related?

If you can meet the delirium trigger, yes. That mostly means running some black for that ez T1 sorcery.

I'm not sure why you'd be in only two colors.

>why you'd be in only two colors
Haven't had enough incentive to splash another color. I have Silumgar the Drifting Death, but I can cast him easily with Haven and Birds of Paradise or Elvish Piper

I'm just trying to make sure I have the most efficient search and shit for what I'm trying to do which is basically a Dragon burn/beatdown featuring Scourge and Utvara Hellkite.

The cards that I haven't touched throughout my constant tinkering and are definitely there to stay (for now) are:
>Utvara Hellkite
>Scourge of Valkas
>Elvish Piper
>Birds of Paradise
>Cultivate
>Sarkhan's Triumph
>Dragon Tempest
and as it stands, my other nonlands are
>Silumgar, the Drifting Death
>Archwing Dragon
>Talara's Battalion
>Slumbering Dragon
>Manamorphose
>Lead the Stampede
>Heat Shimmer
honorable mention being Commune with Nature which I can't decide if it's worth it over Lead the Stampede

all in all I have the core of my deck all set but I've been working for months on this deck and I can't find the best ramps and stuff for my deck, there's so much to choose from and all of it seems good

Is it stupid to not have a third color?

I've been working on this list

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/esper-tempo-light/

It's by no means complete yet but it's got some decent match ups and is pretty fun to play. It's basically the Jeskai flash deck but transposed to Esper.

>Censor

Fuck it. This is the fucking deck right here.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragon-hive-1/?cat=type&sort=cost

and I haven't playtested it or anything, but here is a similar deck to what I was trying to do and it kind of looks better, but I'm not sure I've only been playing this game for a couple months
>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-06-14-how-to-train-your-oh-sweet-mother-of-god/?cat=type&sort=cost

Can't blame a brother for trying

good thread

>MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL

A deck is competitive if you try to win with it, not if it actually wins.

While I can appreciate the sentiment behind making whatever deck you're running more competitive, you're posting in a general that felt the need to use dollar signs in the title to ward off "casuals". Without so much as a hint of irony.

Next time don't admit you're new, and try framing your deck idea as being related to either the usage-based-tiered decks or a formerly established standard/extended deck. And if you can't do that, basically tie your idea to an example of a concept that either *does* work or *has* worked, maybe consider that it's not the best idea.

That's not my deck though. Just saying the word competitive doesn't mean what you think it means and dollar symbols are just symbols. Replace it with "high dollar winning modern decks general" if that's what you want.

>as good as or better than others of a comparable nature
You may stop now.

And that's why people post their decks so they can improve them to be as good or better than other decks. The definition isn't "only stuff that wins". That OP hasn't stopped anyone in any of the threads because no one is going to automatically infer what $$$$ spam means and it still doesn't specify that Modern is a format and not a time frame.

I think you have that backwards. Otherwise the top 8 would be all jank brew.

You're autistic as fuck mate.

Once again you're purposefully misinterpreting the definition of competitive to continue this dumb argument even though you've got no ground to stand on, but then you go off on random tangents about how confusing the OP is that are unrelated to anything in my post.

Which might be acceptable if the OP wasn't crystal clear with wording such as
>This thread is for the competitive discussion of the modern format. Kitchen table discussion is not welcome, but they don't read OPs anyway. For reference the average deck will run you anywhere from $400-$2000
So not only does it explain the meaning of the dollar signs but also that modern is a format and not a timeframe, complete with a link to a primer describing modern. In this context a competitive deck refers to a deck that is at a similar powerlevel to other competitive decks. A list of those is also provided in the OP.

You're wrong on literally every front and no one cares about your dumb dragon tribal deck, thanks for wasting posts and time with this discussion.

Here's the part you're missing: every competitive format in the game has its own metagame that partly dictates what can and can't be successful. Being "competitive" in that context either means running one of the decks that's established by tournament results to be the frontrunners in the format, or finding a way to attack an expected metagame. Returning to old ideas can be one way to do the latter, as sometimes decks do get better with time and may present a valid means of beating expected opponents.

You can even frame it as a budget issue, but if your deck doesn't even try to play out like a tiered deck or attack the meta then it won't be "competitive in the format": and no other kind of "competitive" is relevant in organized Modern play.

I feel like the fact that people have to explain to people these points over and over and over again to seemingly no improvement in universal understanding of concepts in the Magic community is indicative of why Wizards is able to be a grossly incompetent company and suffer no pushback for it.

If players cannot grasp the parameters of what is considered competitive as you've explained, then how the fuck are they going to be smart enough to identify the company is just dogfucking the entire time.

It's crippling how much it costs to be competitive in this format, but what is even worse is players exhibiting ignorance and just unwillingness to better their understanding because they can't be special snowflakes, which is probably what sold them on the game in the first place and the harsh reality is that the secondary market and Wizards have swindled them. And they'd rather blame the mindset of competitive players than see there's a overarching problem.

stale format general

Then go to a different game by a different company.

Im sorry friend but your deck is not good. Your threats take a long time to hit the board the way your ramp is set up and they arent even game finishing. If you want to win in modern you have to go quicker or bigger, or disrupt your opponent enough to then do your thing and youre not doing any of those things. If you want to play it casually then by all means enjoy yourself but I can think of at least 20 decks that will beat yours.

What's Burns worst matchup? All you faggots do is recommend Burn so I'm sure if I build against it I will win easy.

Soul Sisters or Martyr Proc probably

Martyr is low-key good right now unless your local is full of Tron.

What do you think the best version is? Traditional mono white, the popular black splash, or something spicy like Wr with Nahiri?

Literally no reason not to run censor
It's a strictly better mana leak

It's only good as a tempo card because people will still play around it game two after you board it out for real cards.

if you had ever played U control in your life you would know that counterspells suck ass if you're on the draw

wizards have literally saved blue decks by giving them a turn 1 play

Wr is really about Blood Moon to shore up the lousy Tron matchup, Nahiri just feels unwanted to me. Wg gives you Sigarda and a whishboard, blue gives you Spell Queller, Detention Sphere, and a better Wrath.

Really my heart's telling me to run Bant but I can't quite justify it to myself.

Any life gain. Or fucking eldrazi tron since they can chalice on the entire deck.

Anyone have those meme eldrazi cards with things like "cream 6" as the annialator?

You mean spell pierce?

>meme

Seriously the most overused word on Veeky Forums. Those cards aren't fucking memes. Just because a picture is funny doesn't mean it's a meme. I know exactly what your talking about, but I'm not gonna post them untill you stop using facebook-tier adjectives. Fucking cancerous newfag. Kys

How the fuck does it give you a turn 1 play? By fucking cycling? Pretty sure I'd like to have a scry 2 stapled onto a 1 mana cantrip. Oh wait...

>I know exactly what your talking about
thats wat makes it a meme desu

>be on the internet
>go to Veeky Forums
>see exactly the kind of shit you expect to see
>get upset about it
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why doesn't anybody want to play against 8 rack? :(
It's annoying but it's not even good.

Because it's annoying

Fellow storms player, when is the best time to bolt the baral ?
Also, what is the best 2 CMC spell to hit with a counter

Hey guys I was wondering if you had any tips for the sideboard in my snake tribal deck. I've been tuning it for a while and it's pretty competitive, I regularly go 3-1 at FNM with it and it seems to be decent in the current meta.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-05-17-dont-tread-on-me/

How shitty is your meta to let snake tribal go 3-1?

This is worse than kithkin, holy fuck.

My meta is pretty healthy and fairly competitive. We don't have any of the cancer decks right now like Storm, DSJ or Tron, but we do have a lot of fiercely competitive players.

>cancer decks right now like Storm, DSJ or Tron
You are the cancer

>you're cancer for not playing gay uninteractive decks like storm and tron or "rape your hand and play an 11/11 and 7/8 on t3"
Sure thing bub, just because I'm not netdecking some broken list doesn't mean I'm cancer.

>these are the opinions of new players
This game is dead.

Been playing for 5 years kiddo

Yea. That's what I said. New.

Abzan Player here, going to try the new hotness of Plague Belcher

3 Gravecrawlers, 3 Relentless Dead, 4 Bloodghast, 3 Plague Belchers, 2 Garys plus generic abzan shit (Meme Rhino, Lili of the Veil, Phyrexian Obliterators because Gary)

Should I go up to like, 4 Leyline of Sanctitys instead of 2 in the board? Because the burn matchup is rough.

What isn't new to you then you elitist cunt?

Playing since magic's inception?

Relic of Progenitus to go after Graveyard strategies
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner to handle targeted removal (also good with Time of Need, which you play)
I have no idea what else your deck struggles with if you don't have Storm/DSJ/Tron. I'd think because you're an aggro deck you'd be weak to combo, so having some extra counterspells in your sideboard would be a good way to switch to a more "control" gameplan against them (Mystic Snake is good, too). That's all I have for general advice.

>people are responding to a not modern legal deck

6/10

Looks modern legal to me

Wait, nevermind

I just saw that Kaseto is commander only

why bother with the other colors?

Considering dropping green, but I need white for Stony Silence and Path

Green is currently giving me Abrupt Decay and Siege Rhino

Until I have a replacement for Meme Rhino though, that is, the slap a body on the board and gain life at an equal or lower cmc, I don't feel comfortable getting rid of green

Also Lingering Souls is good

Kitchen Finks is a card

Doesn't give black devotion, doesn't play well with Plague Belcher.

Part of me wants one of the Souls Sisters, because of how much I'll be recurring Bloodghasts, tokens, and Gravecrawlers

That's not abzan it's a zombie shitbrew

Somehow, this general is worse than pfg

What the fuck happened?

1-2 my first modern tournament
2-2 my second one :)

skrad

>this general is bad because people don't like my shitty half baked "abzan" zombie deck
wew

>someone doesn't tell you to fuck off with your non-competitive shitbrew
>instead you choose to ignore the advice and propose worse options for yourself
>complain when people start shitting you completely
HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME?

Epic meme user!

>Not being Richard Garfield's best friend

>It's a strictly better mana leak
>strictly better

I don't think you know what this term means.

I really like the new Egyptian aesthetic
Gonna make a Cat-themed deck

>implying anyone plays off curve
>when they do you can cycle for a better counter spell

Waiter this meme is stale

I think that you are just bad at Magic, like most of the people here...

What's with the huge influx of casuals lately? There's more shitbrew posting than ever in the last week or so.

Like, fuck off with your kitchen table jank

They'll post in the threads regardless but they think it's funny to "troll" the thread. That and I'm sure some people are doing it for the easy (you)'s

Casuals are bad but don't you think anti-casuals are just as bad? I mean casuals post shitbrews but anti-casuals just complain about shitbrews.

And when someone points how fatally flawed this game is, there is people who are happy with how things are. Which is fine on it's own end, but fuck off with your "go to different game" when someone is pointing out how fucking stupid this game can be.

But if you find the game stupid you should just leave? Why do something you clearly don't like?

That pic tho

Because he clearly likes the game and also has a good understanding on how the game works, but is not content on flaws it has and would like to rather see them being fixed instead of neglecting them and spiraling into shitshow? Wizards is incompetent. Have you seen standard? Have you not seen how draft sets are inconsistent and good draft environment seem to be more of accident than fruit of good developers?

They just don't need to fix anything, because the big population that makes them money doesn't care about competitive scene that much or potential the game has that haven't been addressed.

been outta the modern loop since RTR
heard jitte and pods got a ban
what are the meme decks now?

Also I'm pretty fucking sure about WotC having any kind of data about any format regarding on the game. WotC is so bad program that I doubt it's even possible to pull out format data to form any kind of database on broken cards and even if they could do that, I doubt the B&R team would have any cohesive idea on what to do about it.

There is so many blatant lies I have seen them say that it's not even funny.

Jitte was always banned

>lands

holy shit, why are lands so cancer?

you have basic lands, ok

then garbage lands like evolving wilds, relatively

then the great fetch/shocklands/etc

then the hilariously never reprinted dual lands

like why the fuck is this a thing, why make them mythic/special reprints? I get spells, creatures and gimmicks are better/same and some of the more gamebreaking and powerfully situational cards are really rare or simply powerful and drive up the price, but lands are so ridiculously overpowered that you won't ever win against an equally skilled opponent with a generally weaker deck because he can cast his shit before you, and more reliably.

must be going crazy, regardless I heard pod got banned so what is the fun stuff now.

This just made my day. He had Mindslaver active by the way.

devoted druid

Collected Company, Traverse the Ulvenwald, and Ancient Stirrings.

BGx is still the top dog, blue is still useless, and tron lands continue powering big creatures.
Dredge lived, died, and is trying to live again. Cycle lands printed in Amonkhet caused Life From the Loam to spike. Devoted Druid hit 7.00 following the reveal of Vizier of Remedies.

The format is okay.

DSJ!

How do we fix Blue?

Let islands tap for green or black mana then use them in a deck with green and or black cards

You don't. Not even counterspell can fix blue.

First we print a reason to back off on all the targeted discard.

When Black gives good control (discard and destruction), and Green gives good library manipulation, what's the point of Blue?

>what's the point of Blue?

Annoyance.

blue is okay for a format like modern

Whats a good skred deck list?

Nothing Blue can do is more annoying than 8rack or Lantern.

How many cards on hand?
:^)

>would love to play 8 rack
>price of lili's and needing a playset