Dragons Are for White Kids with Money: On the Friction of Geekdom and Race

archive.is/ILz1e

>There is a certain racial coding to geek and/or nerd culture. The required reading of geekdom, whether fantasy (Lord of the Rings, the Cthulu Mythos, or Conan) or science fiction (Hyperion, Dune, or Ender’s Game) are novels that focus on predominately white characters, featuring tokenism at best and downright racial animosity at worst. The canon of fantasy and sci-fi authors is overwhelmingly white.

>If geekdom was never coded as hyper-white, why then is there such a loud resistance to the inclusion of non-white, non-male, non-binary, and non-heterosexual stories and characters?

Well? Is he right, Veeky Forums?
Opinions?

Pic unrelated

Don't give people like this attention.

>a loud resistance
No one gives a fuck about new stories, it's not resistance if I don't care, and it will probably be resisted if you're trying to change an existing character or IP with an established fandom.

>fantasy (Lord of the Rings, the Cthulu Mythos, or Conan) or science fiction (Hyperion, Dune, or Ender’s Game) are novels that focus on predominately white characters

All written by white people, if people want to turn fiction into a race issue they can write their own stuff.

Well gee, most people who write those novels are writing about what they know. It's not that fucking hard to figure out.

There's only push back because the vast majority of new "diversity" characters are shittily written for the most part. Yes there are some racist /pol/ posters who hated everything but the majority just hate having shittily written characters to push an agenda.

Take star wars episode VII. Rey is unbelievably one dimensional and boring. She cannot fail and just magically succeeds at everything cuz reasons. A lot of people hate her.

Meanwhile Finn had an actual arc, real flaws, and actually fails. He also has character interactions with some weight to them, like with Poe, and of course his fight with his former comrades.

The best thing that sums the difference up between the two is the lightsaber fight as starkiller base blows up with the sith guy. Finn picks up a weapon he has no training in, against who is probably the most skilled lightsaber user in the Galaxy to his knowledge, and fights anyways to protect a comrade. He fights back, gets his ass kicked, gets a lucky hit in, and gets his ass knocked out. Rey, who should be just as useless, casually kicks the sith guy's ass and just kind of gets it handwaved toward her winning.

Pretty much the only reason I'm even going to see VIIIis because Finn has an actual arc worth watching, and because Poe dameron is some sort of amazing cross between Wedge and Ash of Evil Dead that I never realized I needed until I saw VII. Rey on the other hand just annoyed me.

I could give more examples but that sums it up for me as best as I can do here.

Also this guy gets upset about people telling him to shut up when he brings up race issues in the middle of a game. He seems like an annoying asshole who politicizes everything, at all times. That's probably why people don't accepts him, not because he's a "person of colour" or whatever.

FPBP

These people equate changing an existing characters race and getting backlash to writing a fresh new minority character.

And they equate their shitty stories not becoming popular as racist backlash by a community unwilling to accept their progressive writing, not that most of them actually create anything.

It's all a bunch of bullshit.

That Key & Peele sketch about the homo comes to mind.

It doesnt help that many black, latino or other diversity-of-the-week-thing are absolute shit.

Have you seen what the Hugos have pushed recently as "good" Sci-Fi?

Are you one of the Puppies m8? Because I read that short story thing with the Milo intro and it was completely fucking awful. I'd take the legit Hugo noms over that.

Samwise is the most Mexican motherfucker who ever lived.

And honestly I haven't read most of those novels.

I read Gibson mostly for sci fi and Stephenson and Blackwell was also one of the most Mexican motherfuckers I've ever seen.

Who?
Did I trigger you into bitching about some boogeyman?

Yes, and it included Chuck Tingle's work. Because the Hugos are a joke.

I thought Chuck Tingle was a joke-nomination to show how easy it is to manipulate the Hugos?

They're a group of people and writers who influence the Hugos Votes. They managed to get Space Raptor Butt Invasion nominated for a Hugo Award in the name of Diversity and Inclusiveness.

That was literally nominated as a joke by people trying to sabotage the Hugos because they disagreed with what was being nominated though.

If you're being sincere, google 'Sad/Rabid Puppies'

And yet the people who discussed it during the listing actually argued for it's diversity and inclusive content.

We all understand OP is reposting this blog that nobody on Veeky Forums would ever normally come across because

1) OP is triggered and butthurt
2) OP is addicted to (you)s
3) OP is trying to push a different type of agenda

Right?

That seems like a bit of a shaky, thumbing-your-nose argument m8: "It was nominated falsely, but they still TALKED about it!" Do you think it would have been nom'd legitimately?

Gosh, yeah, that must be it, user.

Heavens forbid I am interested to hear a variety of opinions which might - TRIGGERWARNING - be contrary to my own.

Please go kill yourself you cancerous plebbit-shitter.

>Opinions?
This is why we need a wall.

I'm actually glad for threads like this, because I can *feel* the hatred build within me after reading this.

Like, give me time, this could make me heave a molotov into a gay pride parade.

Without Googling: BMEJHGKHG protags
Keith Laumer Galactic Oddessy
plenty of heinlein
Some Harry Harrison
The ragamuffin series
Halting state?

Why are you glad for that?

>Dune
>imblying Fremen aren't literal sandniggers
>Forgetting about Earthsea cycle
>Imblying race-lifting existing superhero is the same as creating a new one or making a show about existing superhero (luke cage show on netflix is bretty gud)

>white people writing for other white people write about white people
And?

Non-binaries are such a hilariously tiny minority that their mentioned immediately tells you tell author is a moron just parroting an agenda fed to him to a means of keeping him blind.

Having read throught the article this guy just sounds like a little bitch.

This is going to sound like I'm being an internet tough guy but if someone said something as fucking racist as "No speaka taco" to me I would have stopped what the fuck I was doing and asked the motherfucker what he just said and if he'd say it to my face. I'm not tough for this. I just grew up in a Mexican family and fought with my cousins all the time even though I was a weirdo nerd. Which seems to be the issue with this guy.

Having googled his name he, unless this other guy shares his exact name, he's a dude who apparently had the struggle of being too white instead of Mexican and is now overcompensating because he was afraid of standing up for himself as a kid.

I don't think it is projecting to say that this guy was a bully magnet as a kid. The kind of bully magnet that other bullied kids would fuck with. Because he puts a lot of emphasis on how he was shit on for both and by both.

I can say without a lot of doubt in my mind that if he wasn't a nerd, he'd probably would have still been called a guero bitch and if he wasn't mexican he probably would have caught shit from the other nerds for being even more pathetic.

He's just the other end of the spectrum in terms of angry nerds, except instead of being the kind that posts racist shit and how he wants to kill niggers, he's the SJW version.

Nah, it's more that people fling this sjw shit at our board thinking it will get some crazy reaction. It never does. You mostly get topics like this where the general consensus is "we don't care what the fuck your character identifies as so long as it doesn't suck"

I ain't clicking that shit so I'm gonna react on what you cited here.
Yes, all the books and references cited here are made by white people. So what ? Just because I'm not white I should'nt read them or play games based on them ?
Should I avoid reading Lovecraft, since he was oh so racist etc. etc. ?
Fuck no. Because all of them are interesting books, and with that material I can play interesting games and actually have some fun in this shitty world.
This pushback behaviour against "white" culture is adopted by people who just want to feel special by severing themselves from the "norm".
Which, when applied in reasonable ways, can be good. It can lead you to read Senghor, watch Kurosawa or watch a theater play from Mouawad. You can discover new art forms, stories, mythologies/legends. All of that is good if you learn to open your eyes on the rest of the world instead of the place you grew up.
But no, that would be an actual fucking difficulty for those kind of people.
Stupid as they are they reject one culture to just listen to stupid people that say sweet things to them about how Carthage was a black kingdom, how all the egyptians were western african blacks, how the big white man conquered the world and erased this and still oppressing you now.
Also
>loud resistance to the inclusion of non-white, non male, non-non-biyory, and non-heterosexual stories and characters?
I don't resist against that. I actually don't non binary or homosexual characters in my games because I don't want them to end up being a stereotype, as I am unsure how to make them behave around my party.
There is usually characters of different ethnic origins in my game but I usually keep the racism to a tongue-in-cheek, caricatural manner.

Sorry for the rage but I had to vent this

Which is worse , The Big Bang Theory or the Black and White Minstrel Show ?

I like your style, and would like to subscribe to your news letter.

He sounds like the kind of white guy who would walk up to a bunch of black people using the word "nigger" or a bunch of gay people using the word "fag" in a friendly environment and go on an autistic rant of how using those words is denigrating...

Yeah that was the feeling I got reading through it too.

The joto bit was what explicitly did it for me.

If he was getting called a faggot by what I assume his cousins I don't think it was just because he was reading a sci fi novel. What Im going to guess happened was that he got called a faggot for reading a science fiction book and cried about it instead of calling his cousin a retard and fighting him.

>There's only push back because the vast majority of new "diversity" characters are shittily written for the most part.

So, on par with the vast majority of everything else?

>the spectrum in terms of angry nerds, except instead of being the kind that posts racist shit and how he wants to kill niggers

Is there even a spectrum like that?
To me it looks like he is so far into this whole Social Justice Cult that he cannot fathom how people interact with each other when they are buddies. Male bonding seems to be a completely alien concept to him.

He literally cannot into basic human interaction.

Hands down the Bing Bing Theorem. It is what started this whole I

>Dragons Are for White Kids with Money

Kungfu is for niggaz, Ninjas are for swarty Brits, Ancient Egypt was African-American.

>how using those words is denigrating...
You and him are quite similar in how clueless you are.

>Is there even a spectrum like that?
Yes.

You can see it pretty much anytime someone brings up SJW shit and there's random guy who immediately goes to calling them niggers.

It exists.

>Stupid as they are they reject one culture to just listen to stupid people that say sweet things to them about how Carthage was a black kingdom, how all the egyptians were western african blacks,
That actually has nothing to do with that.

That's just the American school system being a gutted piece of shit, because any kind of indepth knowledge of history might make children realise that the Bible is a load of fucking crap.

And because the kids don't know any history, they can easily believe fringe /tinfoil/ bullshit like WE WUZ KANGZ because really, the difference between WE WUZ KANGZ and the Bible is fucking tiny. They all operate on the same ignorance and the same magical thinking.

It's telling that you won't see any WE WUZ KANGZ believers among Afro-Europeans. It's only Afro-Americans.

What the fuck are you talking about?

>To me it looks like he is so far into this whole Social Justice Cult that he cannot fathom how people interact with each other when they are buddies. Male bonding seems to be a completely alien concept to him.
>He literally cannot into basic human interaction.
And now you're going way too much into the other direction of him being this delusional manchild who can't into human interaction.

He was probably just a fucking pathetic ass kid who got bullied a lot and decided to think that was some kind of inherently racist issue instead of him being a easy target.

You don't call someone a joto if you're needling him friendly like. If it was gay sure but joto is fighting words.

>big bang theory
>better than anything

I don't know what the black minstrel show is, but it's probably better than 'lol nerds, am i rite?' The show.

Eh, the education system (especially history/geography) is also fucked up in a lot of other coutries but I think the real difference is that we have much more exposition to different cultures. Travel from Spain to Austria and it feels like you've crossed the world. There also usually are frequent expositions/museums about history and other cultures pretty much everywhere.
But yeah since I've never been to Burgeristan I can't really talk about your education system

>but Christians
Are you fucking serious, negro?

Yes.

European culture is intrinsically European. Fantasy as we know it is founded in European culture and myth. Europeans happen to be white.

This is not any problem whatsoever, and it doesn't need to be changed.

It is not cultural appropriation if anyone else wants to take part in our cultural heritage and our cultural treasures, but it is ours, and any attempt to deny us our history and culture is ethnic warfare and cultural imperialism.

I'm not American either, but I remember watching a Belgian documentary where they let American HIGHSCHOOL students do a Finnish math GRADESCHOOL test, and the majority of American students failed it.

And that's just math. Imagine how bad American history classes must be.

>Kungfu is for niggaz
Shogun of Harlem proves this true.

This.

>Travel from Spain to Austria and it feels like you've crossed the world.

You haven't even left the lands of the House of Habsburg yet.

Sure would be neat if we explored other cultures and their mythologies for some alternative fantasy, though.

There isn't one european culture. There are European cultures

The state of Texas has final say on anything that goes in our textbooks.

>Europeans happen to be white.

The founding fathers were rather conscious about the fact that Europeans are not part of the white race, user.

To be fair traveling across the US feels about the same. Going from say Minneapolis to Miami or Phoenix makes you feel like you're on a different planet that just happens to use the same currency.

>european culture

Oh yeah, those Slavic guys and those Iberian guys sure have a lot in common!

Basically. Even when you agree with the broad sentiment, having it rammed down your throat is irritating as hell, as that sketch demonstrated.

You underestimate the effect of moving 300km in a direction and being completely unable to speak to people around you, except for when you talk English.

>Dune
>Focus on predominately white characters

wat

I did when I crossed Switzerland, stay mad Habsburgers

Kinda seems like Ben forgot about Scandinavia.

It doesn't count if it doesn't fit the narrative, user.

>And now you're going way too much into the other direction of him being this delusional manchild who can't into human interaction.

Because this is what it sounds like to me. Our group consists of an american black dude, an american jew, a german/brit, a french guy and me(polish) and I can tell you that we call each other names when we hang out all the time. We call each other niggers, hook-nosed bankers and tell each other to go scrub the toilet or check out the light inside the oven. Making fun of each other based on race and nationality is fair game when you are buddies.
Im not saying that this is 100% the case here but his whole story sounds screams of SOCIAL CUES ARE A MYSTERY TO ME.

>You don't call someone a joto if you're needling him friendly like.
No idea what it means but I am sure we called each other worse.

It's all in the presentation. A bad character is just a bad character, a bad character that is pushed by the publisher as "the first X in the setting ever (wrong 99% of the time), look at how progessive I am compared to the previous team, if you don't like this character you're a bigot" is a tad more annoying, if only because it illustrates the level of retardation attained by some people in the decision process.

On a sidenote, as a dirty third-worlder I'm more annoyed by US cultural imperialism than I am by non-inclusion of (US) minorities, but to each his own fight (and I don't go on the internet to complain about how american authors need to pander to me; we need more Yoss and J.-C. Lamart, not less US stories).

I imagine he'd classify them as Asians.

Technically he's right though.

All them Arabs and North-Africans are white. They were white when they were called Carthaginians and all, so they're still white now.

But I get your point though. Dune certainly doesn't feature anything resembling white culture. It's like a weird mixed broth of all kinds of cultures, tightly wrapped in a package of Middle-Eastern goodness.

There's a difference between messing around with your buddies and talking to strangers or casual acquaintances.

So it's like a one drop rule?

I would fucking love some fiction based on non European folklore. Give me your African shit, your Persian lore, your ching chong (actually this is a pretty sizable market already cause weaboo), everything. You think I don't want ethnic stuff? Tolkien is great but everyone has been aping him for decades.

The catch is YOU HAVE TO FUCKING WRITE IT FIRST

Not to Political Correctness Types and probably not to the author of the article.

t. doesn't actually read current fantasy at all

>Our group consists of an american black dude, an american jew, a german/brit, a french guy and me(polish)
And not a single one of you is Mexican which is the point.

You get called a joto, that's not friendly banter. Those are fighting words. Because they're in spanish which means your mom understands and joto is not the polite way to say gay in Spanish. It's not the joking way.

Joto is a very specific word that has connotations beyond anything barely friendly. It's what you call guys when you want to fight their ass.

Also did you read the article in question? The racial came from strangers. The questioning of manhood from what seems to be his fellow mexicans.

So again you're going way too fucking far to one side about him being this retard that doesn't understand shit.

Did you actually read the fucking article or are you just making wide assumptions.

>Reading current anything

Oh so sorry for not indulging in young adult fiction about angsty teenage rebel girls

So what would be the regular way to call somebody gay in spanish?

>No idea what it means but I am sure we called each other worse.
It means faggot.

It's something you don't even call the actual gays.

>All them Arabs and North-Africans are white.

Good luck convincing anyone at either end of the Alt Rightist/SJW horseshoe of that. The author is clearly a prime example of the latter so I'd expect the Arab Fremen and distinctly Persian Padishah Empire to fall into the 'innocent, persecuted minorities' category.

But UrbanDictionary tells me joto is being reappropriated as a gay-pride word...

Faggolio

I'm not American so I have never understood how that works. Especially given that these days we know pretty much everyone has at least some African in them if you go back far enough. Where do you stop?

Hell, most Eurasians have DNA that isn't even human in them.

If you care enough to be polite it's just using words that imply that or just saying he likes dudes instead of a single word.

Because unlike shit like Cuervo, Joto has the harsh sound built in.

I wonder how many people have Neanderthal genes and Denisovan genes.

>afro europeans...........
i feel sad knowing this is probably a common word now, we have to go back

Admittedly I learned Spanish from my family and am an American.

I don't think there's a polite way to say gay in Spanish. At all.

We just say black people

It's not a real word (because in Europe, there's no overarching "black" culture since you have African people from all over all the four corners of the wind as well as African people from the South Americas), but it fit within the context of the post.

Basically it means that if it was possible to trace your ancestry to even a single person that wasn't white, no matter how far back you were considered that race instead of white.

It was the law in several us states to determine what side somebody fell on in regards to racial segregation policies.

Wow, I knew Spanish people were huge bigoted faggots, but I didn't know they sucked that much dick.

Both "gay" and "homosexual" are words in Spanish and you can use them in polite company.

Finn didn't really have a arc. He was fucking useless. Basically, he was 'my black best friend'.

Rey was intolerable, because she could do everything. Like, you'd think that Rey would be Luke and Finn would be Han. But no, Rey is both Luke AND Han Solo. The only character who seems remotely interesting is Kylo Ren.

Contrast that to the Blade Runner sequel. Me, I think Ryan Gosling is the perfect successor to Harrison Ford as Deckard. It just fits so naturally.

See, I wish I could kill these people. Like, reach right through the Internet and fucking stab them in the ovaries. People like that need to die. I would do anything - literally anything - to spite them.

It's mostly a reaction to the tendency for burgerfags to call all black people "african-americans" even when they're not American.

>no one is white, everyone is african

Holy shit!

Yes, they do, in fact, have a lot in common. Neither popped out of nowhere, and the roots of history and ancestry run to depths you can't even imagine.

And neither is there one Spanish culture, but many. The granularity of the concept of culture is far from set; there is a European culture, just as much as there is a German culture, or a Spanish culture, just as there is a Latin culture and an Anglican culture, and so on and so forth.

When I said European culture, I meant European culture. No more, no less. The fact that that culture has a multitude of other cultures, from nations to family units, is irrelevant to that fact.

Scandinavians may be my brothers and sisters, the Germans and the British and the French may be my cousins, the Spaniards and the Italians and the Russians and the Polish may all be second-, third- or fourth-cousins sprawling in different directions, but they're all family.

And although various other folks may be relatated, they are off different trees altogether, both culturally and biologically, just as the dog and the cat and the trees of the Earth are related but more distant still.

Strange how there is no option to tell this guy that he's full of crap.

>Finn didn't really have a arc. He was fucking useless. Basically, he was 'my black best friend'.
>Rey was intolerable, because she could do everything. Like, you'd think that Rey would be Luke and Finn would be Han. But no, Rey is both Luke AND Han Solo. The only character who seems remotely interesting is Kylo Ren.

Psss, nothing personnel kid.

You do realise that when you look at culture from a granular lens, you can zoom out even more?

Yeah, even at the time people were calling out how stupid it was, but that's what you get when your state is run by the KKK.

I always found the replicants to be the most interesting part of Blade Runner and they've not really shown much of them for the new movie.

It depends really, Spanish is so big than every country has several ways to call a faggot, and depending of the zone of the country it has another.
Being from Spain proper, people tend to call themselves gay, than seems the polite way to call any homo in Hispano-America at large. There are lots of degree in faggotism, Maricon also teams up with pussy/wimp for example, Mariposon for some very fruity guy,desviado it's a term used be religious people or old people trying to be polite and failing, bujarron is some one than enjoys anal sex a lot, so homos call themselves that or fighting words for any straight, pluma is about the way fruity gays behave, sarasa is another low impact term for fruity homos etc. Joto to me is a way to call a castrated male goat or cabron. So I assume is like calling some one a buey/castrado, some one than isn't manly.