>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/ What are your elves like?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ
mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
sageadvice.eu/2017/05/03/ua-college-of-swords-has-blade-flourish-written-as-a-specific-action/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How do I convince my group to run away from a fight without taking things out of character? Thanks to the Fighter and some bad improv on the DM's part we're about to fight a group of enemies we likely can't win.

One of my players has an item from the previous DM that gives him a Shadow as a companion. I'm fine with it, but should I be worried about the strength drain? And how should I handle the Shadows it creates?

My elves are basically just Shifters in fluff.

So.. I'm doing a one shot in 7 hours. I have 13k gold to spend on items with the restriction of only 1 rare item.

I'm a 5th level deep stalker ranger (the UA one). What should i get? I'm thinking just a +2 weapon and some other random gear so I can sharpshooter literally every shot and still have a +7 to hit.

>What are your elves like?

Physically strong, sleek and can't swim because of higher bone density than humans.

They make the perfect melee combatant thanks to their better coordination.

As for other races:

>Orcs are good archers thanks to their enhanced strength.

>Dwarves and other small folk are all sneaky fucks with almost no gender dimorphism.

>Goliaths are the best long distance runners and often work as curiers.

>Dragonborn are often great metalworkers relying on their breath.

>Tieflings are often merchants, spies, prostitutes but most often they enter the service of temples as clergy or servants to rid their offspring of their cursed bloodline.

all dead, lousy treehuggers

Looking for (mechanical) review, this Paladin subclass, Oath of the Outer Dark: homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ

The (placeholder) is likely to be a CR 3 flightless mount similar in theme to the leucrotta (Volo's) with a berserk button that activates if you try to charm or frighten it.

>Strength drain

Probably a little, yeah. As a kill condition anything small or dexterous is going to be really high-risk here, and against big scary things every 1d4 is a significant cut to the threat it presents.

Luck of the roll matters a lot. Against something with 12 strength, three hits at maximum means the shadow can solo that thing while the rest of the party focuses elsewhere. Six hits - average - is long enough that there isn't really a point.

But if it's only got 5 strength, or on the other hand it's got 24 strength and that's the most relevant part of its whole statblock, it's potentially very powerful.

+4 to hit is on the bad side, at least. Do not buff that number.

>the Shadows it creates
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

You'd want conjure aberration.

Due to their fey heritage, my elves are defined by the extremes of any given emotion they feel, making them the most naturally chaotic race. Diplomats from other races on ventures to strike up trade deals must be very silver-tongued and walk a very fine line trying to stay in the good graces of the fickle Elven Lords, Elven lands are rarely visited by most other travellers in the best interest their safety.
Elves are the most easily susceptible race to hysteria / madness.

Also, question to the 5 people who've played beast ranger, you ever gotten your companion awakened?

They're all French-Canadian voyageurs. They hang out in the woods, hunt beavers and moose, and sail around on giant canoes.

There's a bunch of solid CR 5 monstrosities, and not so much for aberrations. They're not unrelated, anyway. Aberrations are the Moon Presence, but monstrosities are what happens when kitty gets into the Old Blood. The level 15 placeholder is gonna be a monstrosity.

They lost a war against the humans in the last hundred years, and to them it feels like it just happened, though many of the humans are too young to remember it distinctly. The elf city is fractured - ostensibly calm and civil, but underneath there's a bloodless civil war going on between those who wish to resume the fight with the humans, to take back the terms of surrender they offered, and those who wish to put it in the past and move on.

How do you DM for Moon Druid characters?

Starting a new game with free feats at lvl 1.

So far i've made a Half-Elf Stone sorcerrer with following stats:

>16 Str
>10 Dex
>16 Con
>10 Int
>10 Wis
>13 Cha

What feat should i grab?

War Caster maybe?

I use a kind of demonic blight that inflicts permanent Wisdom drain along with a houserule that at Wis 10 you can't shapeshift (I have a similar houserule for most classes, like at Str 10 you can't use Extra Attack and at Cha 10 you don't have the bargaining power to keep your Pact bonus). It's a "high story" world where murderhobo and munchkin are discouraged painfully though. Our moon druid originally thought he'd be so tough...they are level 7 now and not so much with his Wisdom 9! He's learning a lot about archery though, especially the ROLEPLAYING aspects of tutelage since you can't just multiclass whatever OP net build you want in my game...

They get vored and the creature runs away.

>permanent stat drains are common
>characters get WORSE as they adventure
why?

When all characters are shit, everybody's equal.
Sounds like "no fun allowed: the campaign" to me.

Only if i go Sword and Board.

I intend to use a Greatsword or Greatclub for flavour.

GWMaster.

That just sounds awful. Congrats you leveled up! You survived the terrors and horrors that adventuring life has thrown your way! You can now..... have 1d8+con hit points, because I have stripped you of everything else!

You want to take away a power for bit for narrative reasons? Sure. You better have a damn good reason, and give it back ASAP. Permanent stat drain that removes class features? You went full retarded.

Implying an all commoner campaign isn't the best campaign.

>taking obvious bait this hard

I Wouldn't allow it. A headache on your part since in your encounter calculations you have to constantly make preparations for the shadow on top of the existing players. And knowing how players are, he's going to use that thing every chance he gets, can't fault them for that.

Ger rid of it, or better yet, have the thing plot its own escape from all the power its been consuming, break from its seal, and turn on the players for an impromptu boss battle.

Alert is good for anyone

What would be a good base for a campaign that allows for player-oriented sandbox play? Something that would have a central base and a few dungeons.
Basically, are there any adventures like Keep on the Borderlands?

Hope they restrain themselves out of combat. During combat, whatever, they're not that much better than the others after some levels

Alright guys I made this weapon this morning with an anons help what do you all think?

>This thiqq longsword's reach is unmatched, it was created during the worldNOAPOSTROPHEs worst disaster.

What do these ideas have to do with each other? Why are they in the same sentence?

>grappled

No escape DC

>Actual effect

"This mundane +2 longsword does Extra Damage for no reason." ---> into the trash it goes. Don't add bonuses you don't need.

>Calamity's Grip

It's not terrible, except for the missing escape DC.

>90 foot pull

This part is bad.

>90 foot charge

This part is still kind of bad, but it's not AS bad.

>auto-restrained on-hit on a hard saving throw for the targets you'll pick

No, stick to grappled.

I'm tired of all the fucking numale walking-simulator-trained betas talking about D&D, one of the last actual bastions of being a MAN if only in your head, like it's fucking softball for kids. I literally caught two guys in the store joking about short rests - a core game mechanic made into a jest because you can heal too much honestly made me want to kill myself. D&D isn't real, but it can FEEL realistic, and part of that is in how it handled grit and damage.

You might know a powerful spell as a wizard - might, if you can find one - but your body is not magical. Adventure isn't fucking fairytales, it's grit and rage and wear and tear. If you kill a demon in my games, YOU EARNED IT. That's something no one I know of can claim. I know it's not popular on these boards not to coddle your players into retardation but I could never stand it anyway. Maybe his next moon druid will be more cautious with her boasts...

Are difficulty checks relative to who's taking the check or is it just standard?

Would hitting an apple off someone's head with a bow have the same DC for a low DEX PC as a high DEX PC or would you make it more difficult for the one who's not used to using bows?

Calamity's End is very powerful. More importantly, Calamity's Press should use the wording that grapple+restrain monsters use. It still grapples, and the victim is restrained while they are grappled. Look it up. Crabs, toads, t-rex, octopus maybe.

I think the idea is that the task has a set difficulty but higher DEX stats simply increase your chance of passing the DC

I feel sorry for your players

>I literally caught two guys in the store joking about short rests - a core game mechanic made into a jest because you can heal too much
Short rests aren't the issue. DM's not doing enough encounters is

EN5IDERanon here, finally updating my stuff again.

Here are all of the EN5IDER issues, with 17 new ones added: mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw

Do you have a pdf of all the other weapons you've made?

This has to be pasta because damn dude you need to grow the fuck up and chill the fuck out otherwise

It should be fine. The shadow would be a major boon in a fight against a single solitary enemy that relies on it's strength score and nothing else, but there aren't any fights like that anyways. Most fights I'm in involve groups of enemies and groups of ranged enemies where the shadow's low HP and single attack per round aren't a big deal.
>muh precision encounter calculamalations
This guy probably doesn't even play the game.

Thank you!

While I respect your passion in testing ones ability in critical analysis, risk management, and identity awareness, we can't forget that at the end of the day that it's still a game. If that degree of attrition is fun to your players, that's great! Just don't forget to let loose once in awhile.

die

>Wording on the description.
It's a placeholder and will be fixed, but I will fix the grammar.

>No escape DC
Ah, I almost forgot about that! I'll fix that real quick.

>Extra Damage
It's thiqq and does more damage because of it.

>90 foot pull this is bad
Explain, this sounds quite fun to me, great battlefield control, keeping targets grounded if they try to flee or fly away, and it serves as a grappling hook when dealing with items.

>90-foot charge
The only thing I think is bad is due to it being an attack action it does provoke attack of opportunity I think?

>Auto Restrain
It's not auto restrained it requires a save, but I am willing to lower the DC to make it a little more manageable by some creatures. DC:17 Exalted sound good?

>Stick to grappled
If I dropped the DC can we keep the restrained? I really enjoy the disadvantage on Dex saves and attack advantages for allies and yourself.

>Calamity's End is very powerful
Yes, yes it is and its suppose to be. Characters may be like level 16+ when anyone may ever get to the exalted forms and it's not as easy as just leveling up and suddenly getting it, I require RP or a side quest of some form so I feel the reward should be worth it.

>Fix Calamity's Press wording
On it, also do you think restrained is too much? I based it off of a Kraken's tentacle for inspiration.

>Do you have a PDF of all the weapons.
I'm gonna make a Homebrewery page and PDF when I finish all 10 of them. So far we are at 5 weapons completed. Even then when they are all finished, I want to go through them one more time to make sure they are interesting, balanced and worth while.

Thank's anons!

Has anyone run any sort of jousting in their games before? Trying to come up with some mechanics for it.

No problem. I'm happy to share!

I do wish the guy running the 5eg mega would add these; I've sent them to him with no avail.

>D&D
>one of the last actual bastions of being a MAN if only in your head

Holy fuck my sides.

If you're a man you don't need some fucking bastion unless it's from other men trying to kill you.

Whatever you're doing right now user, stop. Stop and go pick up something heavy. Then do it again.

Keep doing that until your testosterone levels are publicly acceptable and you feel better.

"Numales" and sjw's aren't ruining the world for men or stripping you of your masculinity. It's your bitching and self-centered attitude. You're clipping your balls on your own.

That said, I agree with you. GMs need to stop holding their players up and let them stand on their own. Coddling anyone past the age of four does nothing for them.

user, what are you doing? Your advice is actually sound and your formatting is readable. You're not supposed to help him, you're supposed to relentlessly and condescendingly mock him until he feels even worse about himself, while at the same time validating his shitty worldview.

Doesn't 3.5 have jousting mechanics? Steal those

Looking through the new UA, forgive me if I;m wrong, but by RaW it looks as if a college of swords bard can't use two-weapon fighting with blade flourish.

This seems like a mistake

They can't and it's intentional apparently.
>sageadvice.eu/2017/05/03/ua-college-of-swords-has-blade-flourish-written-as-a-specific-action/

My High Elves are an insular group that, due to losing a war of aggression with the races of Men, have no homeland to call their own. Over the last 200 years they've started trying to merge into other countries, since the continental community will stamp out any attempt for them to create a new country, but for the most part they live in Little Italy-like sections of other countries, all while trying out multiple ways to create a new homeland, be it on land, air or sea.

If they start as an All-Commoner campaign, sure. But reducing the effectiveness of a straight up PC to that of a commoner and expect him to keep up with the rest of the group? That can fuck right off.

Then why the fuck is two-weapon fighting an option for college of swords bards?

Once you hit level 6, there is never any reason to use two-weapon fighting instead of blade flourish, which makes dueling flat superior

Wouldn't know, I only ever played AD&D and 5e. I'll have a look.

I don't know I didn't make the subclass.
Most nice DMs would rule that you can two weapon fight with it so it should be okay 90% of the time.

Also if the surveys are still up you can complain to them and they may fix that part. I did and hope my words can make a difference.

Are your players really having fun with this?

How is Way of the Shadow Monk?

Seems kind of ass because its abilities are so dependent on low light

It's cool, but it should get something like the warlock's devil sight so it can use darkness more effectively

>why is a 90 foot pull bad
Spike Traps. Wall of Anything. Ledges.

You may note that forced movement in 5E, while not uncommon, is pretty limited - the most powerful it gets is a level 17 warlock who hits all her attacks. There is a reason for this.

Right now, your sword will probably end any encounter with any interesting terrain conditions or any enterprising casters more or less immediately, no save, you just have to hit ever.

The 90 foot teleport charge should absolutely provoke attacks of opportunity from everything, but the bigger issue is that it's a 90 foot teleport. At-will. Again, all you have to do is hit.

>can we keep the restrained?

Sure, if you bump it to once per short rest or something. One sword should not be character-defining, it should be a nice compliment. Something really great 5E did was aggressively cut the balls off magic weapons so that once again you were not just a walking pile of bling. A level 20 fighter does not lose a melee to a level 20 wizard if the wizard gets gold for magic items and the fighter does not, which was the case in 3.5.

This sword is doing too many things too well and all whenever you like. It's almost a class by itself. Having this on your person is like being gestalt.

Does this make sense/work as a basic jousting mechanic? I knocked it up in a few minutes.

>The representative clambers aboard a horse and is handed a lance. They roll Animal Handling and an attack roll (strength - Lance). The opponent does the same.
>Either side, upon inspecting their rolls, can choose to play a "defensive tilt", where they have no opportunity to unseat their opponent, but may reroll their Animal Handling.
>Their Animal Handling roll is the DC on their being struck by the opponent. Their attack roll is their attempt to overcome the opponent's strike DC.

One of several things will happen:
>If both sides pass the DC, the one with the higher attack roll scores a point on the other.
>If neither side passes the DC (or they play defensive tilts), they ride past each other without striking.
>If only one side passes the DC, and has a higher attack roll than the other, they unseat their opponent and automatically win.
>If only one side passes the DC, but has a lower attack roll than the other, they score a point against them.

After three tilts, the jouster with the most points wins, if no-one has been unseated.

Additional mechanics:
>Damaging/affecting the opponent without being detected causes them to have disadvantage on the Animal Handling check.
>Persuading/charming the audience members to throw favour to the party representative gives them advantage on the attack roll.
>Other spells and similar apply as normal. If the party are detected (like throwing a firebolt at the enemy) the tilt will be discounted and the PC responsible will be detained.

Why the fuck did you agree with me? I was posting bait and farmed a satisfactory number of (You)s, but I was only edging, and this finished me off.

Oh god, you fucking retard.

He helped me to a speedy gasm, and he validated something much worse than my worldview.

Because the person doing the rules clarification is not the person writing the subclass and the person writing the subclass is probably like "fuuuuck I wish I could tell everyone we're gonna fix that," but you won't see the college again for at least six months and the only developers with direct lines open are Mearls and Crawford, if Mearls isn't dead, I haven't heard anything about him in a while.

So I'm in the middle of reading Volos guide to monsters and then came across the Froghemoth, and when reading about giant frogs and giant toads in the monster manual, I realize that both of them do not have tongue attacks. If I were to transplant the Froghemoth's tongue attack to the giant frog and a giant toad, how would you adjudicate that with a DC and such, and how high of a CR would that be?

I'm 90% sure it's just bait but the possibility of some retard playing D&D for gritty "realistic" adventuring is hilarious. You want deformities and weird shit happening to players? Dungeon Crawl Classics. You want hopeless, poweless PCs that are adventurers out of desperation? The original D&D is a thousand times better.

I DM'd the first time a player cast Conjure Animals to summon up to 8 creatures which gave me a migraine. I had no idea how it worked so he wanted 8 wolves which meant Advantage rolls on all attacks plus chance on Prone on a giant.

Is there anyway of making it easier on all of us instead of dragging everything out completely without saying "never use this spell ever again"

So let me get this straight, this game is about FEELING like a tough man, even if you're a bitchboi irl, but if anyone ACTS like a tough man you make them a bitchboi ingame too? Not to mention its sad that you derive your masculinity from a game of pretend arbitrated by a randomizing factor.

there's no elves in my settings, fuck elves, remove elves.

Is Catapult+Acid vial a viable combo?

Don't mind me. Just the best class in 5e coming through.

>Why 90 foot pull is bad

Not only do you have to hit but there is a Strength saving throw they have to fail and then they have to use another attack action in order to get affected by any of the conditions including getting pulled. Unless it's an object in which you just have to hit it & use your second attack action to pull it.
Also to get someone pulled off a ledge you have to be falling off a ledge as well cause the target can only be pulled towards you not away from you. I'm cool with the occasional wall spell or traps getting jumped over. Some wall spells can box people in so they can't really do anything even with the range, as they have to be able to strike a location out of the box and ground traps can be ignored by a lot of different options this just adds one to the pile. It's basically a hookshot from Zelda in those circumstances. I feel like this is okay.

>Drop it to once per short rest or something

Don't want to limit the weapons main feature I would sooner drop it to grapple than do that...

Does anyone else think that restraint is too much? I'd feel more comfortable dropping it to grapple if more people thought it was too much.

>The sword does too many things.
I enjoy the versatility granted by this weapon, and it requires extra attack actions to make work really well so I can live with the options granted by it.

>WoW icon

kek

Most perished in a self-inflicted arcane cataclysm, but most of the world's population is functionally half-elven thanks to the ones that survived and elvish blood being rather strong in the gene pool.

Elves were on the tall, willowy and pale end of elvish depiction, with the unpleasant cruel/arrogant/mercurial personality triad, which lead in no small part to their domination of the world and subsequent obliteration.

Basically, I like my elves predatory and mean, but I like the world's population being Hylian more.

It makes no sense for a wolf to knock a massive giant prone. So arbitrate that.

If you wanted you could also houserule that five or more conjured creatures of CR 1/2 or lower make one attack roll (with advantage) as a group and deal like half or 75% of their combined damage.

these are all fucking awful, holy fuck, just stop.

stop fucking slapping absolute battle improvements in everything you make. why does it need +1d8, +2 to hit/dmg and how the fuck is a sword grappling/restraining anyone? there's also no escape DC for the grapple/restrain.

i really think you should just stop and take a minute to see how magic weapons are used in the game. very few do even half this shit does from the start, and only the absolute bests do about half or less than this shit does when complete. if your idea is to make ridiculously overpowered crap, then there's no way anyone can help you, because this shit destroy completely the balance of the game. you must be playing a super ultra high power campaign and no one else can really tell you shit about it because we know shit about it.

>2 spell slots until level 11
>shit "regain spells on short rests" gimmick that gets broken by invocations that require you long rests to regain the spells they grant
>all while the Whizzurds have arcane recovery
lmaoing at your life, the only thing you got going for yourselves is RP interactions with your patron and GOO with that Gaze of Wallhack invocation.

>Not only do you have to hit but there is a Strength saving throw they have to fail and then they have to use another attack action in order to get affected by any of the conditions including getting pulled. Unless it's an object in which you just have to hit it & use your second attack action to pull it.
here is why it's bad: pic related, an at-will pull

>You want deformities and weird shit happening to players? Dungeon Crawl Classics.
And even then, you still get pretty crazy powerful to make all the deformities worth it.

it would only change the CR by one at most, the damage and DC can be determined by their CR and STR Mod, CR gives you their proficiency so DC is always 8+Prof+Mod and damage depends on the size of the mob, the tables should be on the DMG.

The knocking down part, i was arguing that "but that just doesn't work" but my head was already overloading on rules + keeping a flow in the combat so a 10min fight didn't take 40min

I actually had the same issue when my party fought a giant toad.

I made the tongue attack a 15 foot line, DC 13 DEX save for the giant toad. If you make the save, anybody else in the line behind you then has to make it until it reaches its range or there's nobody left in range.

If you fail the save, you're moved to 5ft in front of the Toad and it makes a bite attack against you with advantage.

If you fail the save with a Nat 1, it moves you to 5ft in front of it, makes a bite attack on which it can treat the roll as a nat 20, and can make a swallow action as a bonus action on its turn.

The tongue attack recharges at the start of the frog's turn on a 5 or a 6, similar to dragon breath.

I'd guess for the Froghemoth you can simply increase the range and the Save DC as you see fit.

If you were making an octopus-like PC race, what benefits should the extra arms give? I'm thinking of one one with two main arms and other, smaller ones that would only be able to use Light weapons, if any, and its lack of a skeleton would mean it would be incapable of wearing heavy armor. Any thoughts on this rough first idea?

Theorycraft all you want, champ. Short resting is no gimmick. My at-will invocation and eldritch blast cover my low level spells and damage needs, and all these tasty level 3 spells and rituals I can cast all day long carve my position as the best class, not to mention all the roleplay potential, wizardcuck.

yeah I gotta go with the flow here. Too stronk by a factor of 3 or so.

The sword really can't have more than like...half this stuff, and way toned down.

Grapple/restrain should be once per short rest. You're not getting around that. I don't care what the DC is set to, you can't grapple at range targeting Strength more often than once per short rest.

Pull to/from should be no more than 30 feet at all levels and instantly end the grapple, reclaiming your sword (and making it also part of the cooldown). Ditch the bonus slashing damage, your bonus is your jump-pull. Prone can be a save when pulled or when you pull yourself.

That would be a very cool, very powerful weapon that you will never regret or feel bored with and that is totally worth being called legendary (and your attunement slot).

What you've got is psychotic. I'd to be honest send you to Homebrew School or something if you pulled up with this at my game

Why the recharge? Is it that powerful of an ability? I guess a swamp full of these things using tongue attacks is pretty abusive...

>muh rituals
Wizards have more, and wizards have more spellslots, especially for high level spells. I love warlocks flavour-wise and adored 3,5 binders, but mechanically they're pretty meh, get over it.

there's a baketako thing in dandwiki, it's probably unplayably bad but can give you some ideas.
never make someone incapable of something in 5e, at best, make some feature incompatible with another thing, like fly speed in aaracokras being incompatible with heavy armor, but not aaracokras in general being so. thri-kreen PC races in antiquity gave you the option to hold extra stuff, but not always, not necessarily, use them for attacks. i don't think extra limbs should grant you extra attacks, maybe just give you an extra off-hand attack for your TWF bonus action, not adding your Mod to it, or maybe just a tentacle unarmed melee attack that grapples on hit...

If your goal was to make overpowered garbage you achieved it.

I'm planning some special weapons in my campaign way down the line and was trying to think of ways to make them stand out but not be overpowered. Would advantage against certain kinds of enemy types too much or is that not much? They'll all have varying amounts of limited uses so them relying on it won't be too much of an issue.

I only gave it a recharge due to my party being low level and would probably be low on spells by that point in the dungeon, which was a correct assumption. Feel free to eschew it if you want to make it more dangerous.

They're just not full casters. They're flipped Arcane Tricksters, magic first, archery second.

>Wizards have more
That is wrong. Warlocks have hands down access to the most rituals.
>wizards have more spellslots
You can think that, but it's apples and oranges. Warlocks have the potential to surpass a wizards spells per day for whatever level they have, easypeasily.

Only armchair rollplayers think wizards are better than warlocks.

So I've been kinda lurking around D&D for years now, but never felt compelled enough to go to a store with some random strangers to play and most my friends viewed it as something extremely boring.

However, with D&D finding its way into popular media again (shows like Stranger Things and Community have episodes where they play D&D), some of my friends, to my suprise, showed incredible enthousiasm towards the game. Enough that they gave me the Starter Set and told me they want to play with me, since they knew I wanted to do that for a while now.

However, I'm afraid that their information about the game only stems from those pop culture references and I'm not sure how to properly explain to them what I expect without them losing interest. A good friend of mine wants to take it seriously as well and wants to try and DM. He's actually prepping already for a while now. The three others just want to meme and joke around constantly I feel, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

In short: any tips how to convey my expectations to my friends without them losing interest in playing? One of them already stated that reading ~10 pages (basic rules in the starter set) was way too much work and he just wants to have fun. I agree that we just need to have fun, but I also feel like not having a basic grasp of the basic rules will severely limit that.
Any thoughts?

So why did they think the rest system was a good idea? It takes way too long, destroys dramatic pacing, and the HP recovery from hit dice feels like it should be an always thing. All it does now is screw over short rest classes when they easily just could have made them encounter powers.

Nigga your never gonna get more than one short rest a day. Maaaaaybe w tops

Honestly I feel like advantage lives in this terrible little crawlspace, hiding its specialness away from all the million things that want to grant it. Every source of advantage devalues every other source.

I have a houserule that stacked advantages and disadvantages start adding +1/-1s because you're usually not stacking too many sources of it, personally.

But it's probably not overpowered but it is boring. Something like it cancels any immunities fiends have to being frightened and lets you frighten them once in a while, or you know the surface thoughts of anything with telepathy that's close to you, or it causes radiant damage whenever undead attack you and miss.

2 tops*

Nigga pls, I play with a fighter and a monk. We short rest three times a day while we're dungeon-crawling. I can sneak in even more if we're just dicking around a village.