/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Space Knights edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

homebrew systems are welcome

last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

deltavector.blogspot.pe/2016/08/a-look-back-starship-troopers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7_lx3A3iu7U
conflictcornucopia.blogspot.co.nz/2015/06/a-look-at-patrol-angis.html
beightonshipyard.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/patrol-angis-first-impressions.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone here follows "Whisper"?
What do you think about it, minis and rule wise?

>Whisper
got a link? Never heard of it.

So I'm reading through the rules of Dragon Rampant, and I'm a little confused about strength points.

Are they pretty much just HP for a unit? I get that you divide SP with the number of models in a unit to get the essential wounds per model, but what are the benefits of having 12 models in a unit vs only 4 if the SP are the same?

No kickstarter yet. All the pics and some info are in Facebook (sadly)

What's everyone working on?

I just built this robutt.

Is the head missing or is it meant to just be really small?

The unit size should usually be based on aesthetics. For example orcs might be 12 models in a unit but ogres might be 3-4 models in a unit. Base the model count on what looks right.

Of course you can have different unit sizes for other reasons if you want. I have 10 models in a unit because the models are sold in 5s and I didn't want to buy extra.

The head is just a tiny camera, it confused me at first.

So there's no benefit to it other than aesthetics? I can dig it, but with 10 models in a SP12 unit, do you just soak 2 damage before you start removing models?

Its so tiny...

As far I can tell yes. Only changes to stats comes in a half strength.

We have a pile of hit markers from other games. I just throw on two of them and then start removing models.

I like the idea of units having champions, could I do a like a SP12 unit with 5 models, and say each model has 2 wounds, but the champion has 3?

I think it explicitly says you can do the whole "every model has multiple wounds"

That adds up to 11 but yes you can make units that way. Just avoid overcomplicating it.

Treat Dragon Rampant as a toolbox that lets you make use of your toys when making your army.

Hey still looking for more Osprey Adventures both the Open Books/Fantasy and Dark and the Myth set. I found a few in HWG but they always say ask here in AWG

Tempted to make a Mega Folder of the ones I have and add as people post them

The one i want to get is Steam Punk 2 the old west

>Tempted to make a Mega Folder of the ones I have and add as people post them
That would be pretty damn awesome, actually

What's a good set of rules where I can have a squad of space-mercs face off against hordes of robots? I have the miniatures but not a clue how to game them.

OP Back with Soda

Is mega the best for staying up the longest as a file share ware i can organize an archive and update it as more or beter files are found

So far i found in HWG

Osprey - MYTH 001 - Jason and the Argonauts
Osprey - MYTH 002 - Dragonslayers, from Beowulf to St. George
Osprey - MYTH 003 - The War of Horus & Set
Osprey - MYTH 005 - Thor - Viking God of Thunder
Osprey - MYTH 007 - Robin Hood
Osprey - MYTH 008 - Troy Last War of the Heroic Age
Osprey - MYTH 009 - Theseus & the Minotaur
Osprey - MYTH 010 - Charlemagne & the Paladins
Osprey - MYTH 011 - Sinbad the Sailor
Osprey - MYTH 013 - The Knights of the Round Table

Osprey - OPK – Dwarf
Osprey - OPK - Orc Warfare
Osprey - OPK - Steampunk Soldiers

Osprey - DARK 01 - The Nazi Occult
Osprey - DARK 02 - Knights Templar - A Secret History
Osprey - DARK 03 - Zombies - A Hunters Guide
Osprey - DARK 04 - Vampires - A Hunters Guide
Osprey - DARK 05 - Werewolves - A Hunters Guide
Osprey - DARK 06 - The Wars of Atlantis
Osprey - DARK 07 - The Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow
Osprey - DARK 08 - Bug Hunts - Surviving and Combating the Alien Menace
Osprey - DARK 09 - War of the Worlds - The Anglo-Martian War of 1895
Osprey - DARK xx - Nazi Moonbase
Osprey - DARK xx - The Cthulhu Campaigns - Ancient Rome
Osprey - DARK xx - The Cthulhu Wars - The United States Battles Against The Mythos

What I want that I know of are Elf and Steampunk 2 the old west

I want to use Steam Punk 1 and 2 and the Anglo Martian war and the steampunk table top rules with a RPG and the adventures of the Crew of the Airship HMS Osprey. If that goes I'd steal from the worlds oldest Fanfic " Edison's Conquest of Mars" and use Rogue Stars so the Airship Osprey gets a few upgrades

Osprey "Rogue Stars" I found a link in one of the HWG threads

A mega with all of those in would be massively appreciated

That is very wrong. I've played rogue stars, and it's really only good for 4-5 models vs 4-5 models. Once you start getting into 6+ models, the system really breaks down.

It's also extremely granular, which i am not that much of a fan of. I love the writers work, like his SoBaH family of games, but this one was pretty much a miss imo.

Next time I'm at a more Anonish Public and faster connections i'll try it

And is Mega the way to go i see the official archive on HWG uses Mediafire

Or could do both for redundancy either way ask HWG to add it to their list of categorized Osprey links they copy past all over the net

I think /hwg/ used to use Mega but ran into copyright problems. I'd try asking in /hwg/ itself to see if the user who maintains the archive has any advice.

Is this the place to ask about Warzone Resurrection? I'm having trouble with the rules (I've downloaded the rulebook from Prodos' website, should anyone want to read it).

Mainly, given that I think Ki powers and Psychic Powers are the same thing by the rules, I would like to know:
1) if a vehicle (in this case, a Mishima Meka) in a single model squad (that would qualify it as a squad commander I think) can take and cast psychic/ki powers
2) The power Batta no Choyaku gives Leap (8). Am I right in thinking that, since leap counts as walk action, it would cancel the Tiger Dragons' "Flesh to stone" rules, since it's a cast action that gives an effect that counts as a walk action?
3) What happens when a character capable of casting Psy/Ki/Dark powers joins a squad that can do the same? Does both he and the squad commander cast their respective spells? Or only one can do it since the character is now part of the squad? Since it's possible to cast (B) spells as AP(0) via Psychic Mastery (B), how many of these spells could they (character + squad) cast? And do (B) spells affect both the squad and the character, or only one of them?

And another thing: do Heals gained from different sources stack (up to 8 max) or not?

Has anyone tried Wrath of Kings?
The models look really cool and I was wondering if the rules were fun.

How do I find people to play /awg/ with? Should I be attempting to drag friends into it with me?

the rules are pretty cool, somethign kinda different mixed in with some more standard stuff. Your deployment zone is split into bands, and different units deploy in different bands. Tryign to kill somethign rolls against a chart on the target's card to see what happens, so they can be like "this dude's good at parrying attacks, so he gets a bunch of those." and if your guy is good at breakign parries, he's fucked.

For lotr, do you guys prefer the warbands style of hero + up to 12 chumps or the model count limit from legions?

>Feet don't fit within the base
Always bugs me

Tried it out. Didn't really have the funds to get into it, and the community dried up here. Game was fun though, and had some good ideas.

found a blog with reviews
deltavector.blogspot.pe/2016/08/a-look-back-starship-troopers.html

Has anyone used this family of rules or Victory Decision? interested in how it runs

By painting 2 armies and getting a friend to play with one and hopefully buy his own.

I've followed Delta Vector before for its posts about game design. Actually really good info there.

>Osprey - OPK – Dwarf
>Osprey - OPK - Orc Warfare
I'd really love to see these, user.

Yes, 'tis the place, but sadly I can't help - the rules appear to be a clusterfuck, I see a lot of threads in the Facebook group asking for rules clarifications.

That looks fucking cool.

So I don't want you to feel rushed or anything, but I just broke my foot today and am going to be stuck on my ass for a few weeks it looks like.

So now would be a perfect time to read these :)

SST was an amazing gem of a wargame and I am sad it died. It's what weaned me off warhammer only diet.

Preach!
Bummed my shoulder, can't do my lifting and carrying job, can't paint for long, definitely can read.

As the review stated, it had a generic scifi version too.

Welcome to the war for humanities soul, my space-gook playing friend. I'm user, and I will be trying to answer your questions for today.

>1) if a vehicle (in this case, a Mishima Meka) in a single model squad (that would qualify it as a squad commander I think) can take and cast psychic/ki powers.
That is correct, it can buy and cast powers(buff, debuff and shooting and make some interesting combos out of it) it just can't benefit from the effects of psychic(b) spells.(pg.33 Psychic Powers, Buff(b))

>2) The power Batta no Choyaku gives Leap (8). Am I right in thinking that, since leap counts as walk action, it would cancel the Tiger Dragons' "Flesh to stone" rules, since it's a cast action that gives an effect that counts as a walk action?
You are correct here, if you decide to cast Batta no Choyaku and make a move with leap(8) you would then lose the effects of Flesh to Stone.

>3) What happens when a character capable of casting Psy/Ki/Dark powers joins a squad that can do the same? Does both he and the squad commander cast their respective spells? Or only one can do it since the character is now part of the squad? Since it's possible to cast (B) spells as AP(0) via Psychic Mastery (B), how many of these spells could they (character + squad) cast? And do (B) spells affect both the squad and the character, or only one of them?
1) The joining character still has access to their range of powers separate from the psychic squad they've joined. In an example of my own I play brotherhood and want to take a squad of Visionaries(pistol nuns) they can only take powers from the Kinetics discipline of the Art, but I want them to be more survivable, so I purchase Roberto Feltordo as one of my characters who can take powers from the Mentalism discipline that really complement my gun-nuns. Both have their own powers, and both can cast them in their activation.

cont.

If we're going to have those minis in the OP, can we get the rules for Patrol Angis as well? :)

2) As per the Action Rules chapter(pg.14) "No action except ‘Cast’ can be performed more than once per model per game turn (see psychic powers for more details)." and on the psychic powers chapter(pg.33) "A model can cast more than one power in the same game turn, but may not cast the same power or type of power (B,D or S) twice." So, following this, you can cast as many powers as you have action points to do so, but you can't cast the same type of power more than once. So a psychic character+squad could, if the rolls are with them, cast two Buffs, two Debuffs, or two Shooting psychic powers in whatever combination seems like the best at the time.

3) For Buff spells affecting the squad and character, the spells in question will define this by stating either range:caster or range:squad. It may also refer to a single model in the effect, e.g. "Cleared Path (10 PTS): Psychic (B) Range: 12. This model may add the Battle Focus bonuses to all of its attacks when using a Battle Focus Action."

>Do Heals gained from different sources stack (up to 8 max) or not?
I'm pretty sure that's correct.

And there we go, I hope I was helpful to you.

Thank you, my dishonoraburu friend.

>That is correct, it can buy and cast powers(buff, debuff and shooting and make some interesting combos out of it) it just can't benefit from the effects of psychic(b) spells.(pg.33 Psychic Powers, Buff(b))

Damn it, I missed it. I was already dreaming of a AP(0), Leap(8) Meka. I'm sad.

>3) For Buff spells affecting the squad and character, the spells in question will define this by stating either range:caster or range:squad. It may also refer to a single model in the effect, e.g. "Cleared Path (10 PTS): Psychic (B) Range: 12. This model may add the Battle Focus bonuses to all of its attacks when using a Battle Focus Action."

So, if a caster in a squad casts a range squad buff, does the buff affect both he and the squad? And if a squad commander of a squad joined by a character casts a range squad buff, does the buff affect both the squad and the character?

>So, if a caster in a squad casts a range squad buff, does the buff affect both he and the squad?
That's correct.
>And if a squad commander of a squad joined by a character casts a range squad buff, does the buff affect both the squad and the character?
That is also correct.

Imperial Prevails!

Imperial is made of thieves and bandits, totally incompatible with the concept of honor. Furthermore, I'm afraid I forgot who unleashed the Dark Legion upon the galaxy, have you any clues?

Imperial Prevails!

(roleplaying aside, thank you very much kind sir, I've been trying to find answers online but it seems the rules aren't clear, at least not only to me, as said)

Do it the same way non-mainstream /hwg/ players do it:
Create/find a scenario, paint up both sides and invite people to play it with you. Even if you end up just being an umpire.

If people like it, they might buy into it.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my awesome dragon bike.

That dragon bike is pretty dope, but is it dope enough to lift you out of NPC faction status? JK, looking forward to seeing these on the table.
I wouldn't say that the rules are a clusterfuck, there's been a lot of work going into it for 2nd edition to clean it up and tighten definitions, rumbling from the rules writers say there'll be another errata later this year to further clean it up. I think this is just something that will always be a thing for the really granular wargames to go through.

Just like what this user says, to build an /awg/ community you gotta build it from the roots up.

I know, especially with such a titanic body of infos, background and profiles. It's just that when something isn't clear, you don't have the whole "In this area, we play it like this" that other, more succesful games have.

The dragon bike is pretty dope indeed, and unlike Imperial, Mishima doesn't need anything to help them further. Imperial, on the other hand, has to steal from Capitol, Bauhaus and the Broterhood. When they can't steal, they beg. They do have some very fancy hats though.

(This banter takes me back to the old times, I just need a Baaaawhaus dukejockey to insult and then I'll feel young again)

here

The robot army continues with this Naga/Metal Gear boss/legally distinct Catapult

This is the first army I've tried to go beyond simple conversions and basic painting on, I've gone and bought extra parts, made the nets, made bases from structural filler etc.

It's still crap compared to some painting I see (a couple of guys at my club have been at Games Day/in White Dwarf back in the day) but it's a great feeling to have done something a bit more personalized.

>...and the Brotherhood.
When did Imperial ever steal anything from the Brotherhood? In all the fluff I've read I've never come across them eyeing off some sweet, sweet, Brotherhood assets.

>The dragon bike is pretty dope indeed, and unlike Imperial, Mishima doesn't need anything to help them further.
They throw an autistic shitfit over the use of rifles on the field, there's a lot that they need help with.

But Flamethrowers are HONORABRU.

Gotta paint some 2nd ed Mishima dudes...picked up an almost complete army from a Slovakian shop who wanted to gouge me on postage...but it was worth it in the end, and now I have lots of Ashigaru, Ronin Samurai, plus some odds 'n ends.Lots of nice sculpts in Mishima, even for older stuff.

Are there any wargames that are like FOSS? Anyone can contribute to them, the rules or pieces (or whatever) are freely available online, etc?

Oh yeah, man, I've been wanting to get some of the 2nd ed. Bushido Samurai off of Prince August for a while, but the shipping from Ireland is pretty bad coming down to Aus. Recently got some of the new unicast Wolfbane Headhunters and Sean Gallagher models. I think I may replace Seans sword, seems a bit too short for a Gallagher Claymore, and a family hierloom one at that, might carve a new one from plasticard and make it maybe a centimeter/centimeter and a half longer... Of course there's all my other shit in the backlog I need to paint first before I even get to them. And the new set of terrain I need to build for my demo kit. And then there's the battle report I was going to write for this thread. Fuck.

It's going to be a busy time.

I have a complete box of those - once I get around moulding those, I'll tell you.

Shit, didn't do any progress with those Heavy Infantry since...

That's ok, I still haven't sent those light infantry, either. We suck at this trading thing.

You're right, they don't steal from the Brotherhood. They steal from Capitol, Cybertronic, Bauhaus and Mishima. They instead beg from Capitol, Bauhaus, Brotherhoood and Cartel. My bad. But hey, since I've made a terrible mistake, maybe now I can be a Brotherhood yesman too! I'm already buying online the berets and the meaningless medals I need for my special forces, the Sea Lifeguards Off-White Maybe A Bit Azure Berets. I can be the head of my own clan, the Imperial Mishima Autowerks. I hear being traitors is in vogue in Imperial.

Dystopian Legions is one of those games where I look at some models and think "Man, I want some of those," and then I see others and question the designer's mental state.
Anyone played it? I'm curious about the rules.

Well, one day...me being sick and broke doesn't help either.

Got some nice new stuff in the meanwhile, a Billy the Heretic model, a Pegasus Scout Bike, which fits rather badly...

I think Spartan abandoned the game after being distracted by a particularly colourful butterfly or something.

The problem is nobody buys the rules as pdfs since physical books are nicer and cost almost the same.

t. someone who has both PA and CT in meatspace.

God damnit. It keeps happening - this time a butterfly, before this a piece of tinsel, then it was a particularly spastic kitten...

I figure it's dead, but some of the models I really like. I just wish the scale wasn't so wonky so I could use them in other games.

You could get away with it with the armoured dudes or the vehicles, stuff like that.

But yeah anything recognisably human is going to look wonky.

And I do like the look of some of the vehicles.

It's worth pointing out that in Lion Rampant, you didn't have the whole SP thing - it was just figures. That did include a tiny optional section on using it for fantasy which suggested using figures that represent multiple points.

Little die with the unit that starts at 2 and is removed first?

They should give it big V-shaped antennae or something, or a hat.

FiveCore. 5150 or Chain Reaction. Do you have any other wargaming experience? Lots of games can be adapted for fun times.

Good blog, that one.

They have some adorable tankettes that I'm eyeing up for VSF conversion, but in general I don't like Spartan's aesthetic.

It's really, really hit or miss.
It's actually a bit hard to figure out - I mean, even different units within a faction can have wildly different aesthetics to them.
The only thing I can figure is that there are a bunch of different designers all working on the same project who are only communicating sporadically.

Warzone Resurrection noob here again, what do you guys think, does it look like a good take all comers list?

Lord Commander Natsuki 140
-Sai no Kawa free
-Batta no Choyaku free
-Psychic Mastery (B) 10

10 ronin samurai 155
-Psychic Mastery (B) 10
-Tora no Haikai 10
-Taka no me 5

5 Ebon Guard 135
-Cybertronic Upgrade (small base) st+2 (10)
-Ushi no Pawa 5
-Hebi no Sutoraiki 5
-Psychic Master (B) 10

6 Tiger Dragons 170
-exchange weapons 30
-Psychic Master (B) 10
-Taka no me 5
-ushi no pawa 5

Meka 150

750 points

Whops, my bad. It's commander Nozaki, of course.
He should join the ebon guard and proceed to wreck face.
I may sobstitute one of his free powers with Rairyu no Sutoraiki in order to have a bit more "antitank".

:(

I guess you're right...

And how do you feel the rules are?

I'm tempted, but wanted to take a look first. May pull the trigger either way though.

They're pretty interesting. Stuff dies very quickly, so cover is very important (and therefore you need to plan your movement quite carefully to not get caught out, especially when overwatch comes into play). Having initiative is also super important because the player with initiative gets to pick casualties, so if your opponent has it then get ready to lose your special weapon dudes and squad leaders rather than expendable goons.

Army building is a bit different in that there is a fairly strict platoon structure you have to follow, but within that structure you have a lot of freedom as to what your individual dudes are equipped with. I guess it goes some way towards avoiding that classic 40k problem of cheesy lists that don't make a lot of actual military sense.

For more, here's a video AAR and a couple of reviews/first impressions:

youtube.com/watch?v=7_lx3A3iu7U

conflictcornucopia.blogspot.co.nz/2015/06/a-look-at-patrol-angis.html

beightonshipyard.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/patrol-angis-first-impressions.html

Game has officially been relegated to 'mail order only', which considering their attitude to supposedly fully supported products means 'don't want to admit to another dead product line'

They did have a couple of Legions models at Salute this year that they've been threatening to produce for years, which suggests the Spartan cycle of neglect may coming around to Legions again as soon as they can wriggle out needing to do more work on the kickstarter.

I still can't believe they even thought for a minute that a 15mm game would've been a good idea. Not even GW oversaturates like that.

I don't understand what meaningful difference it could have had from Legions. I can see reasoning for a larger scale companion game to DW- play out more personal engagements, and get to play with big, detailed versions of DW models. But a game predicated on one of the reasons people are turning away from 40k seems like a poor plan. Empires seemed like a better idea than Legions in isolation, but with Legions already existing and dead, it was really a fuckawful idea. Shame, the 15mm scale would have been better for bringing in more of the heavy armour that the Dystopian world loves so much.

Spartan is a company that has really neat ideas, incredibly poor impulse control, and has a terminal case of ADD.

Are those wavelurk Fresnels?

nah m8, the new Descartes battleship. Comes in cheap large and covenant bullshit flavours

Thanks for the suggestions, reading some battle reports now. Iv'e a decent amount of experience war gaming, albeit historical battles rather than sci-fi skirmishes, so it's quite a leap for me. FiveCore looks interesting and unless awg and hwg are infested with shills it seems to be a popular suggestion.

holy shit that is awful!

That is hilarious. Stop making me want to play again, there's no one around here to play with.

No user. Because I'm in the same situation, the only joy I can draw from DW is posting fun rules and complaining about Spartan.

Yeah. Generally I like Warzone models a lot but that one did not work out.

Different strokes for different folks, gentlemen. I happen to like it a lot, even though I would have liked it even more if it had been more like its older design.

Thanks for the links! I'll give it a look! It's getting harder to resist!!!

Hey again, space-gooks, looking over your list I'd like to suggest bulking out your troops slots by splitting that 10 man squad of Ronin into two groups of 5. That way it nets you another resource card and you spread around more powers. I'd also have a think about splitting that Tiger Dragons squad into two squads of 3, maximize those activations. But I may be thinking wrong about them, I don't play Mishima personally, but they are a fairly regular opponent for me, and the pair of minimal T-Drags squads have fucked me pretty good in the past.

Ultimately, play a couple games with both your current list and my suggestions, see what works out best for you.

Are there any Anima Tactics recasters out there?

The game is kill and sodapop doesn't even sell the models anymore. In addition, aftermarket is dead as well.

So... Any status on doing a mega for these or..

God damnit user you're not helping. You know how much I miss my DysWars stuff? It was one of the few games where I actually finished armies - that and Dust, actually. I might have to see what's cheap on Bartertown, just to paint some stuff.

Fuck Paolo Parente, also.

Are those treads on backwards?

I'm interested to know if any of you uses a generic wargaming rule set. is there anything similar to GURPS for minies? I mean, a system that is complex and haves variety, but at the same time it let you play with what you have at hand at the moment.

There's hordes of the things I guess.

there are a bunch of those.
The FiveCore systems, Grunts, Lion/Dragon Rampant, RogueStars etc.
All of those let you build your own units too.

Depends on what you are after. Genre, scale, scope...

It helps the butter-smooth ride if your tracks have no purchase.

Maybe. Possibly. I dunno, it's Dystopian Legions, nothing makes sense.

what an heroic robogator