/cyoag/ - CYOA General

Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu
Previous thread:

Which cyoa lets me punish bullies or help survivors of bullying?

Nemesis

Anything with powers

>OC

You probably don’t remember, but I started making CYOAs somewhere around one year ago. And what better way to celebrate this than by returning to my roots and trying to fix my old mistakes? And, as one wise user said: Worm CYOAs were a mistake. It’s time to correct it.
This is simply something that I started, so I just have to keep walking on my chosen path regardless of what I think about it now.
I'm using Worm CYOAs as a business to get experience... so I can end Worm CYOAs as a business!
Behold - the Worm CYOA to end all Worm CYOAs!
Well, not really.

Changelog:
1. Page width is now 1600 pixels instead of 1280.
2. There is now one background for each page instead of 3 different ones.
3. There is now 4 pages in total.
4. Obnoxious narrator was deported to Siberia.
5. The whole thing is now more casual friendly for those who never read Worm. At least I think it is.
6. Implemented a system with two different types of points.
7. Extras were renamed, expanded and put at the beginning of the CYOA.
8. Paths were expanded and actually have some use mechanically later in the CYOA.
9. A new path – Endbringer. It’s exactly what it says on the tin.
10. You can now choose your origin, civillian identity and so on during the initial characterization.
11. Created a specific panel dedicated to choosing your costume.
12. You can pick mundane skills to help you both in and out of costume.
13. Reworded, expanded and reevaluated costs in the Shard panel.
14. Reworked most of the perks and drawbacks.
15. Godslayer and Manton Effect Bypass perks were abolished. Their functions were combined into a single Second Trigger perk, which also makes your power more… powerful, I guess.

16. Followers section was removed due to them being bad fanfiction-tier in favour of a system where you can create your own bad fanfiction-tier followers via a perk with the same name.
17. There is now a Second Trigger section under each power, describing how exactly its upgraded version works, because I was tired of answering such questions for Godslayer and Manton Effect Bypass. You would think that “It’s the same, but it now works on Endbringers/humans/yourself” was obvious, but apparently not.
18. I stopped pretending that I know how freedom units work and switched to the ones normal people use.
19. Changed costs and renamed many powers and tweaked how they worked. There’s now 137 powers in total, deleted around 50 unsatisfactory powers and replaced them with different ones.
20. Added some anime flavoring to the power list, because sometimes things just aren’t OP enough.
21. Top powers are now clearly more powerful compared to the rest of them, as I attempt to satisfy the powerfag crowd that wants guarantees that they will win (but it’ll still upset them because it’s still not enough). There’s still not enough points to buy these top powers without taking some drawbacks first to satisfy adventurefag crowd that hates easy mode powers, so you don’t have to take them if you don’t want to, all other powers are pretty balanced, I think (but it’ll still upset them because overpowered powers still exist). Also they now cost 25 points instead of 20 like before to further discourage people from taking them. You might ask “Why wouldn’t we simply take the drawbacks and just go for the strongest powers anyway, as drawbacks won’t matter then?” and I will answer “Why wouldn’t you just choose the easiest mode instead of ‘Skitter Mode’ in the earlier Worm CYOAs then?”, because this is almost the same thing. This is a CYOA, you can do anything you want, after all.

Also, I want to thank the user who gave me advice on how to balance powers (now that everything changed again, I’ll likely need his help once more).

Ooh, I like the option to choose when you enter the setting, or even do alternate timelines. That's going to be a fun change.

And that’s it. I don’t think I missed anything, but I probably did and will only realize it hours after posting. Oh well. Wait, it’s spelled ‘civiLian identity’, not ‘civiLLian’? Damn you, English, you’ve let me down yet again (or is it the other way around?)! But whatever, I don’t care enough to go through the entire CYOA to fix this grammar error everywhere and then recompile it together again. It will take hours, so pretend that I did it right. I’ll fix it next time.
Not really satisfied with how this one turned out, but this is still better than what it was before, surely. I guess I won’t be able to top Magocratic Convention in graphical department (or content in general) just yet.
The next on the list is Time of Troubles update, but it will probably take eons for me to finish it.

I'm a bit busy today, so I'll have to get back to comments about balance and stuff later, but I realized I exported an older version of Page 3, again. Sometimes I think having multiple backups on multiple devices is more trouble than its worth. In any case, I figured it would be gauche to post the entire thing myself again without an update, but here is the proper version of Page 3 with the fixed typos. I'm sure I missed a few though. The only changes are in some wording, some grammar errors, some terminology changes and such, not balance.

Again, I'd like to thank people who have posted feedback and builds. I always love reading peoples' write ups.

I'm not sure whether I'm too autistic or not autistic enough for this cyoa...

thanks for posting that cyoa senpai

Aww, no way to make Tinkertech comprehensible to regular people? Darn. Well, I guess that will be the challenge for me to occupy myself with after the world's problems have been solved, advancing mankind's scientific knowledge until we can do it on our own.

You're amazing m8, I recently came across CYOAs and your worm CYOA was the first I ever read and is by far my favourite, there are soo very few well designed ones that don't look like they were half assedly mspainted, and even fewer with such replayability as yours. Thanks for all your work user.

Is there like an archive of only the images? Like a storage spot for these? I dont want to go back 50 threads to get new stuff.

It's in the first post, user.

pastebin

Anyone know if you're supposed to take your build from A New Magical Girl and build your A New Dark Magical Girl build off of that or no?

Love the new options for designing a character, lots of numbers tho, kinda confusing

Do any CYOAs let me be a crazy scientist?

>You are limited to your Path-specific section
Isn't everyone though? Or am I misunderstanding something?

You technically are, although IIRC the only relevant choice would be your relative age.

Thats weird, thought I checked that out before and didnt find what I wanted. Thanks.

Yes, the one you make.

There's link to both Dropbox account and Google Drive account that collect them. They might have small variances but in theory they should have some content. In practice I spotted couple lewd CYOAs in Dropbox that aren't in Drive but also got old version of Immortality Quest from there.

So if you build for Dark you lose all your regular MG stuff and have to rebuild completely, keeping nothing from your MG save for your age. Is that correct?

Eedra Nasok, Desire of All

Genitalia
>Vagina (1)
>Embellishments
>Lubrication
>Musculature
>Cilia
>Lumen
>Plush (x3)
>Penis (1)
>Flare
>Knot
>Spines
>Prehensile
>Lumen
>Pillar (x3)

Shape
>Enticing

Chest
>Cursed

Influences
>Kleptozoological
>Oversaturated
>Pseudodevascent

Face
>Regal

Flourishes
>Ouroboros Metabolism
>Godly Cleanliness
>Lactation
>Bountiful
>Nurturing
>Aphrodisiac
>Dependent
>Ejaculation
>Aphrodisiac
>Gate to Ecstasy mouth
>Reproductive Channel
>Plush (x1)
>Puzzle Genitalia
>Carnal Atmosphere

Strategy
>Brooding

Dowry
>Title (1)
>Nuptial Torc
>Primordial Woad
>Abyssal Ink
>Celestial Charms
>Regal Array

Bonds
>Sensual Ritualists
>Prime Mate

Urges
>Mating Dance
>Throne's Shadow
>Cerebral Recurve
>Mental Morass
>Spoiled
>Nightmare Cycle

Stigmata
>Stigma of the Crystal Heart

Ambition
>Desire of All Hearts
>Cherished Carnal Treasure

Pedigree 1
Status 1
Allure 16

Eedra's most ardent desire was to be wanted and loved by all. So Teiatat gifted her with an unnatural and supremely beautiful form and demeanor that would awaken love, lust, and jealousy in all who beheld her. She was meant to be a gift to the most loyal courtiers and brides, but that hasn't lasted long. Eedra has changed hands many times as intrigue and even war have followed her everywhere. Very few who behold her can contain themselves for long from trying to seduce or seize her. Though at times this makes her situation difficult, it is mostly to her liking. She is wanted by all and taken to many different worlds to see many wondrous things and gifted amazing treasures to please her.

Is this an angel build?

Some of the categories in DMG include stuff from MG, so you're not forced to throw _everything_ away. Also there's a thing that lets a DMG use MG magic.

If you are talking about the Endbringer text, then tt means that you are supposed to ignore the rest of the CYOA and stick to the Path Specific part at the end of it.

Yes. Experimenting with one that has woman and man parts.

>Futa shit
>Desire of all
Nope.

I took Puzzle Genitalia option so it can be retracted inside and not noticeable.

Good on you for branching out.

do naga futas exist

What, some kind of Rubik's Cock?

Anyway, CYOA about being a bad guy/girl/thing

Is there any way I could convince you to upload the images you used to like an imgur abulm or something? There's like a bunch of htem that I would love to have.

Thanks!

It's just an option that's there to cover unusual kinds that don't quite fit the other options.

Looks like fun cyoa!

The bottom of the fucking last page has flavour text that you lose your personality and memories, your body is gone anyway. Fucking owned. My build is Ultimate End and nothing else, fuck you whoever you are that inherits this shit job.

>Page width is now 1600 pixels instead of 1280.
Dropped this shit. People check those things on all kinds of screens, including 4:3 ones if not even less wide in case of some mobile devices. You were to improved the CYOA, not make it worse.

It says here that in cyoas you have used words in ways not conform to their official dictionary definitions. Care to explain?

You'd be repulsive for even having it. Wouldn't touch.

>Browsing for CYOAs on mobile
>Having a sub-1080p screen

What is the best way to get a stando in this CYOA?

>women are in charge of everything because waifus make my penis happy

Is this show any good, or has the reaction face become common independently of the show's quality?

No.

meta-cyoa

Sometimes I need my waifu fix on the go

>tumblr
Submit to the matriarchy, user.

Why is every society in your cyoas matriarchal? Are you a cuck?

Well I do love the fact that you gave us scenario options. Giving us two sets of points was a good idea.

The powers section is better though I do wish there were more options. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of cool options.

Now onto questions.
Can I combine the effects of powers? Such as using Presence to ignore line of sight limits on certain powers?

Is it done about now? Come on, SDA, what are you doing that's more important than cyoas? Nothing is more important.

He makes a valid point even when its covered in shitpost. Will every division ruled by women? Pls no.

>Current year
>Nazis

>Using /pol/ memes to complain about nazis
You're obviously banting, mate.

I've always been confused about the Shroedinger power, "Locked in the same single point in space" does this mean the only action I could take is thinking different things in each quantum level? Is this like Coil's power?

Yes.

It's hot as long as the girls don't behave like real women

Which author is the most selfish?

You for not posting OC and trying to start a shitstorm

I've got no idea what that is, but it's got me a half mast.

Oh boy they're here early this time.

None are selfish. Since they create free content for the benefit of strangers, it is by definition impossible for any of them to be selfish.

It will be half and half.

It's hot when it's one of the options from among many. Make it a standard thing and it becomes fucking dull.

He's an old IP, probably the same guy that posted the cat picture.

I can tell you point blank that nobody involved last thread is trying to bring it back up. This guy is just our general shit stirrer.

Does that mean we'll get futa divisions?

This look awesome as usual, but the small font in the description of powers on Powers page is kinda hurts my eyes.

I'm not into it myself. I was just trying something new.

Is there any tips people have for balancing stuff?

Stat stuff is easy because at least you have numbers to work with, but when your dealing with things that give perks its hard to figure out what is fair.

>Is there any tips people have for balancing stuff?
Nobody gives a shit since nobody will do fucking PvP, just have it make sense from a narrative POV and any autist that bitches about it can go play EVE Online.

Don't bother. INT and magic >>>>> strength and punching people is just the way it is.

Please rate this statement as true of false
"A bonus bottle should not be a way to gain free power, but rather a way to gain an additional companion genie"

/cyoag/, what CYOAs do you think have the best graphic design?

Consider first how hard you want it to be in general, what's the setting. For example, many comfy CYOAs allow plenty of options and perks up to point of demigodhood since it's meant to be mix of escapism and power fantasy. But the same won't fit more realistic or darker setting.

If the CYOA IS about some sort of semigodhood/magic etc, then certaint raits like immortality etc may be default. But if you make CYOA about something more down to earth or depending on survival, then immortality may not even be an option or it has to be overwhelmingly expensive one.

Lot of it will be subjective. Is this option worth more than several others? Make it more expensive than those others.

Make magic STR based, thanks.

First, since I am omnipotent I make the 300 words requirement void. Then I enjoy myself in many ways.

Make magic meme based. Thanks.

You forgot to say that you'd do it retroactively.

It's not that hard, is it?

Well, that's how it works in canon, so there's nothing I can do about it.

Oh, thanks user.

I actually was going to make that part more clear and then kinda forgot.
What it means is that you are limited only to the Endbringer Path-Specific section at the end of the CYOA, since the rest of the panels aren't appropriate for this option.

I'm sorry, the only images I have saved are the technical things like textures and stuff. I always just google the pictures I need and don't save their originals anywhere.

Ok.

>The powers section is better though I do wish there were more options.
>137 powers
>Not enough
Damn.
>Can I combine the effects of powers? Such as using Presence to ignore line of sight limits on certain powers?
Only if it wouldn't break things too much.

I meant that in a way that you can't walk away from where you stand to do something else somewhere far away, while you also remain where you were originally at the same exact time (this limitation is removed by the Second Trigger upgrade).
It should work like Assassin's Tsubame Gaeshi from Fate. Meaning that you can swing your sword in three different directions at the same time while you stand still. Or things similar to that.

I suspected it would cause some problems, but I didn't want to separate powers for different pages. Well, it's always easy to read pretty much anything for me, so I can never know whether it will be difficult to read for others or not.

Make shitload of lewd, waifu options that give one little of a power but appeal to fantasies. It'll balance itself out when neckbeards will choose those waifu options at the price of something actually powerful.

Yes, it's half-serious answer but only _half_-serious one. Great choice of many little options make the person prioritize, not get too OP while still having fun.

>or it has to be overwhelmingly expensive one.
This is always a mistake.

Making immortality cheep or default is fine, as is making it completely unavailable. Either way takes it off the table for discussion. The CYOA then gets to focus on whatever it is it was made for and hopefully you get to see some interesting builds.

Making it debilitatingly expensive however only serves to turn it into a CYOA about "how best can I achieve immortality". This generally does not serve to create very interesting build variety or discussion unless the entire CYOA is dedicated to different methods of doing this, and that's already been done half to death.

If you are ever considering making immortality expensive, just don't put it in at all. Your CYOA will be better off without it.

Wat

>Making it debilitatingly expensive however only serves to turn it into a CYOA about "how best can I achieve immortality".
I disagree. It only depends how important immortality is in context of the CYOA. For example if in the context of the setting you constantly reincarnate or continue sme mission as sort of revenant before becoming something more/else, then immortality suddenly becomes merely an alternative, not a powerful boon.

So, "it depends on the setting" is kinda right.

Nothing. Everything. That's omnipotence, and not. It's a paradox. No matter how grand or insignificant an action is for you the opposite is as equally true and false. It's THE Mary Sue power and the end all be all. Makes me think too much to care about the facade of all this, desu.

That may not be the immortality in the traditional sense, but it's still a 'death is not the end' type of deal.

>If in the context of the setting you are already immortal, than immortality merely becomes an alternative form of immortality

On the other hand, I'll admit that in "fantasy character builder" CYOAs immortality kind of isn't important enough to get special rules. Of course if you ask me that entire "genre" doesn't serve any purpose to begin with.

No, in case of those examples it'd be very much traditional immortality - "you don't die". It's just if the CYOA assumes death is not the end, like you say - and there are many opportunities after, then immortality becomes aforementioned alternative with cons of lack of the same options dying would provide. Varied price for immortality, including it being greatly expensive is a valid design choice at times, anyway, depending on what that immortality entails and what are the alternatives. That's how balancing works.

Do Drop-Ins get the +2 character points from No Identity, or is that +2 only for Inserts who decide to take it? Basically, what I'm saying is, if I pick Drop-In, do I get +5/+3, or just +3/+3?

The problem is you cannot actually balance it. Assuming the CYOA character is yourself, the value of immortality is infinite and the cost is always finite, basically a form of Pascal's Wager at play.

No amount of giving it a higher finite point cost will ever balance against infinite value. All it ultimately does is make the choice obvious when the CYOA says "I could give you all this cool stuff, or you could be boring and choose immortality instead".

Kickass person who illustrated the CYOA about cuddling Monstergirls: If you're here, I have another short MG CYOA idea about visiting a cafe.

Who?

While the last thread was pretty fucking awful, by standards of cyoa threads is was almost civil. Have Raven of Happiness as reward.