Hey Veeky Forums How do you feel about fantasy tattoos IRL...

Hey Veeky Forums How do you feel about fantasy tattoos IRL? Things like Lovecraftian sigils or pulpy wizard designs that look like they belong on some stoner's van in the 70's. Hell, maybe even clockwork automaton pieces well inked into the skin! Drop your fantasy tat designs and come talk shop! pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eEiw19jqlBg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Necronomicon
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i'll dump some lovecraft for now

I seriously can't help but cringe at the mere concept of tattoos in general if you're not a gamg member or a sailor or sth.

why do you feel that tattoos are cringy? When done right, they can be very beautiful.

Do it.
youtube.com/watch?v=eEiw19jqlBg

Thats just sad for you I guess.

I was going to upload a pic of my leg but my net sucks dick. I have this without the red on it. Also its just the emblem and not a flag.

hey that looks pretty cool, whats it from?

Lovecraft is litterally the only tattoos I would ever consider getting. Tattoo a passage from the necronomicon on my back or something.

Not him, but tattoos on your body are like graffiti on a building. 99% of the time it's ugly and not worth seeing. 1% of the time, it adds something.

eh, to each their own. I can see where you are coming from; a lot of the time tattoos look like ass if done improperly.

I'm the other way on this. Most people tattoos that they paid a bunch for in a parlor to look like an art piece are boring/uninteresting to me. Home jobs, stick and pokes, etc. I find add a lot more to a body than koifish or some shit.

Ffxi, kingdom of sandoria. I played the game for 14 years it was like home to me.

It's just the thought 'i like something so i must have a lasting depiction of it on my skin' that's completely at odds with me.

Plus i have some heavily tattooed friends who i really like, but they're really impulsive and don't think much ahead (they are even regretting some of their tattoos after certain elemts of their lives changed), so tattoos always remind me of those character traits.

im actually planning on getting something Veeky Forums related that i can hide easy. i love the towergirls designs; so im thinking of getting one done of my favorite princess.

you have great taste

mans, people will probably not like it, but I think there's a certain charm to tattoos that are personal like that. If you feel differently about it later, that just adds to it. But like, I have a bunch of silly shit on me.

>I want to get a 3/4th sleeve tattoo of a knight
>one of two poses, either looking up while wearing plate or a scenery shot from below showing a spooky sky
>as a pretentious art fag I'm terrified of getting a bad tattoo
Any tips anons? I'm sure the pain is manageable, but I literally have ADHD and I don't want to Fuck it up.

my older brother has some cartoony fish, a smashed lizard on his leg (like smashed into a crater a la bugs bunny) and i think a shitty dragon. it works pretty well though. he says it reminds him of his old life and how far he came as a person.

Pop a sleeping pill beforehand. There's no problem drugs wouldn't solve.

That's the kind of tattoo I don't like too. They should mean something deeply personal, you know, because you're getting it permanently on your body. My girlfriend went through several failed suicide atempts, so after her first successful year without self-harm, she drew up her own alchemical circle and got it tattooed on her wrist. Something like that should be on your body if you want it to.

We're about to have a baby, so we've been discussing getting matching tattoos of a stylized harp (his name will be Harper).

always remember that cheap tats are shit tats. go to a place thats in your budget and see what they can work with. some designs might get changed to fit your body. and ffs dont pick at it while its healing. Use antibacterial soap, unscented, and use cocoa butter while its still raw. It's gonna hurt like a bitch, but it's worth it.

>53238271 most parlors wont service people who are drunk or on drugs. so a sleeping pill might not be a good idea.

that sounds really cool user, go for it!

I agree with this to some degree. I also find the "I have tatooed x on me to remind me of y. It is very important to me" to just be an excuse to get a tattoo while trying to look sophisticated.

As you get older your views change and you start to like different things. Even if art/concept x is the most awesome profound thing in the world right now chances are I'l find something better or care less about it in the future.
I agree that a ton of tattos look amazing but I could never decide on one thing to put on my skin and continuously like forever. That would just be forcing myself to love it despite me growing as a person.

I think the best reason to get a tattoo is simply that you like tattoos. I might never agree with getting one myself but that wouls be the reason I respect the most.

Tattoos as life process is pmuch how I think of it.

I got my friend to do a skull on my ass, basically from the old Ian Watson Space Marine novel. I like it a lot, but it is a skull on my butt.

I can respect that.

>this guy
Absolutely not.

So, if my budget was 3k to 4k, what should I expect? I want a work of art and I would expect as close to perfect as the artist could muster. I mean I'm not going to be like "I want a hawk sigil and a ghost and a starfish and an angel" but I would expect a clean, well composed drawing.

most places that are high end will do great work for you. if you have 4k to drop on a tattoo, then they will pretty much suck your dick and give you what you want. it may take a few sessions to get it all done; but it should come out great. do some research on shops in your area and go with the highest rated one.

I'm really not a tattoo kind of guy, but a summoning glyph copied from the Lesser Key of Solomon or Conan kicking the shit out of the dinosaur from Red Nails is leagues ahead of having a chinese buffet menu scrawled across your back.

I figured I would source artists and pay them to do mock ups, then pick the best ones. Would 2k still be reasonable to spend on a stellar tattoo?

Now, I have a few massive linear scars on my arms, which is part of the reason I saved so much money. Is it reasonable to ask them to tattoo over a brutal scar, or should o stick it on my "cleaner" arm?

if they are skilled they can cover a scar. I've seen people get C-section scars covered by flowers, or even self harm scars covered by something. it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Wouldn't get any theme/fandom tattoo either. Though my reasons are different. If I would ever get a tattoo, it's gonna be a mesh of arcane sigils utilizing over 90% of my bodily surface. Until that day comes, if ever, I'm not gonna waste an inch of this canvas on anything lesser.

A Lovecraftian sigil is a lot more okay than a pulpy wizard or a piece of 40k art in my mind. Tattoos should never look like an illustration that could go anywhere other than a tattoo. That's just my opinion though, and I don't really hold it against people to have stuff like that unless it looks like shit.

That as an aside, I'm actually getting my first tattoo next week and it's pretty similar to the OP.

a buddy of mine and I were thinking about getting respective marks of chaos (Nurgle and khorne), but im a little iffy about it.

>self harm scars
Ding ding ding. They're parallel and one in particular on my shoulder is really wide, so I know it's going to be a bitch. I'm just so embarrassed by them that I need something beautiful to remind me that I've grown up and survived.

>pop two just to make sure
>wash them down with beer
>wake up next morning
>somewhat dizzy and aching
>beautiful tattoo of knight on one sleeve
>beautiful tattoo of knight in the other pose on the other sleeve
>note that the work is on the house
>"Bubba was here." inkend on the inside of one buttcheek
>count marks going well into double digits inked on the other

If you're going to do that, I'd say go for simplicity or ask the tattooist (if you trust their talent) to recommend ways to spice it up. Don't just go taking the detailed versions from the codices.

That's just my preference though.

>self harm
>on the shoulder
well, that's unusual spot

see that's the kind of style i was wanting to go for, but maybe have them stylize it to look like a scar or a brand.

Maybe he was whipping himself.

my sides are in orbit

Hey, sometimes the craziest people appear absolutely normal on the outside. I'm covered in stupid scars but I was smart enough to make sure they could be hidden.

>ruining the mystique of Lovecraft's lore by depicting what's supposed to be unimaginable
Stop doing this. It's literally just as bad as midichlorians in the SW prequels.

Lovecraft himself drew some of the stuff he described though, at leas the stuff that is itself supposed to be descriptive. Like the Cthulhu statue.

>Cthulhu statue
Yeah, that's the thing. It wasn't Cthulhu, it was just the idol that the cult made.

i just posted that to keep the thread alive. besides, Lovecraft describes the "unimaginable" in damn near all of his stories.
go read The Statement of Randolph Carter, or The rats in the walls.

And those are supposed to be pages out of the Necronomicon or some other text penned by man. So I still don't see the problem.

That quote is incorrect. It's "That is not dead WHICH can eternal lie". I know I'm autistic, but holy shit I would hate to have that on my arm.

Just seeing a book who's contents are supposed to drive you mad if you read it look like bland death metal album art.

well, i look at it as a paraphrasing. and i've gotten used to it so my autism doesn't bug me about it anymore

The Necronomicon doesn't make you go crazy. Plenty of people have read it. Even people as mundane as horror authors according to the Haunter of the Dark.

I don't understand that tattoo. Is it supposed to be the shitty elder sign? Because it looks like a cross between that and a demons sigil from the Ars Goetia.

It's the Sigil of the Gate.

Also, you better be talking about the actual Elder Sign, not the stupid star with an eye bullshit.

I was calling the star with the eye shitty.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Necronomicon

Well now I look like a fool for missing a word.

Honestly though, I wish the Nazi's hadn't ruined it because the Swastika makes way more sense as the Elder Sign.

it's the sigil of the gate, or the gate of yog-sothoth. The poem around it is stupid though, the cursive font doesn't fit the theme at all, and it's basically just a pop culture lovecraft quote

yeah that's pretty much it

I just googled elder sign tattoo, and every single one was the eye with a star thing. There was even some guy with the yellow sign in sharpie on his head, but no good elder sign tattoo

>no good elder sign tattoo
It's a twig user, how you gonna make a twig look good?

you could make it more geometric, something in lines more like could be good.

Stick and poke? Embrace the bootleg quality.

I'm telling you it's a star!

TENTACLESSSS!

I have an Elder Sign on my chest. It's a fairly simple design so it doesn't lead to clutter, which is my main tattoo related complaint.

I drunkenly got this stick and poke, I also have Cthulhu on my chest. Both of them need to get touched up again as they have faded a bit.

Technically it is the idol from the story, but it is easier to say I have a Cthulhu tattoo.

I already have a Veeky Forums tattoo.

Vampire: Minds Eye Theater?
Badass.
My wife and I have matching Camarilla/Sabat Tats.

First of all check tattooists facebook/instagram accounts. Nowdays they use those as portfolios and picn one that has style suiting your taste.

Second you can have it done it several sessions. Explain the situation to the artists, they should be fine with and probably make the tattoo in a shorter sessions to prevent you to get all fidgety.

Yea covering scars is not a big deal for tattoo artist. Keep in mind that the part where scars are skin might be more tender.

>Suicidal girlfriend
>Gets her pregnant
>She likes anime

Yikes. Good luck with that.

>alchemical circles were invented by fullmetal alchemist

i don't normally write kys but today's a special occasion.

I personally feel like if you're going to get a tattoo on a limb, either get a single tattoo or get a sleeve, because the "gotta find space for this one" look is super trashy

>not Harpo
It's like you don't want him to be funny

>love the sinestro corp insignia
>don't want it on a shirt, on a ring or any part of my body because they're fucking space ISIS
Truly, this is suffering.
This, minimalist/geometric tats are my shit

has two elder sign tattoos and theyre both from the tabletop game.

I love that look. I feel like it allows for growth as one changes. A large piece locks your art into who you were at a certain time, without room for growth.

While it is true that transmutation circles are a thing of pure fiction. Alchemy circles are a thing.

Amajor portion of alchemy revolves around the circle of life and death/creation and destruction. This is most iconic in the ouroboros: either 1 dragon eating it's tail or 2 (one winged and and one not) eating each other.

Alchemical symbolism is also revolved around circles. Charts describing different quantities of material are put in circles. The sun is one of the major astral bodies in alchemy and is always the center of a circle of other symbols.

not other user, nor do I believe in alchemy, but you are in fact wrong.

Eh, that's less growth, more multiple points on a timeline instead of just one.
I think his problem was the assumption that the alchemy reference was specifically anime-related

I think I just got excited because my useless piles of knowledge on alchemy had a purpose for a second desu

True regarding the timeline, but wouldn't you rather have multiple points on a timeline?

Not really. I like a unity of design, and having aesthetically unconnected art on my body would annoy me to no end. I like it when everything is all of a piece.
Then again, I can't even look at my own sketches from a year ago without cringing and wanting to start over.

For me every body modification is gross, including pierced ears (those are mostly invisible, fortunately). It's like ear tunnels. Holy fuck, why.
Tattoo sleeves for some reason look the best, like something that belongs there. But "let's put some shit somewhere" - eugh.

I've been wanting to make viking rune tattoos or just viking tattoos on myself but not too sure about it (as I'm afraid of the idea of a full life commitment).

Also I'm afraid that people will see them as white power simbols, as the world is full cuck mode against white people.

This is the only tattoo I would ever consider getting.

I can respect that, I like disjointed and clashing design quite a lot.

I've been looking into the runes more and while the Elder Futhark are much more detailed and expansive they were actually not at all used by the vikings, who existed around the Younger Futhark's era. I'm torn, because the Elder's designs are stronger and the breadth they cover is much more fascinating.

yeah, elder futhark look good.
i was also thinking about the valknut and aegishjalmur

I mostly take a similar view, though I have an immense curiosity as to why the fuck they do it to themselves.

Valknut is a strong symbol but I don't particularly feel an attachment to the meaning, so I'm leaning more towards specific runes. Currently working to get sowilo on my finger as a physical reminder to help me through my depressive phases, and have considered raido as well. I like the aegishjalmur idea, but again, design is important to me too.

I like sowilo but I would be again afraid of the sjw scum pointing it out as the nazi SS symbol

Yeah, that's my main worry, so I'm trying to figure how to stylize it without losing the meaning. I also have a ring that can cover where it will be if need be for work purposes.

There's a girl at work, quite cute to begin with, damn good looking with her hair done up... And assorted shrapnel stuck in her every which way for no good reason whatsoever. Ear tunnels, some horseshoe looking thing under her skin below the collarbones, fucking hell girl, why?

But it ain't like she exists for me to look at, so frankly, she can do whatever the fuck she wants. Obviously didn't doom her to unemployment either.

>aegishjalmur
Because if there's one thing the old norse were known for, it's Greek loanwords. Aegis helmet, yeah right.

There, not an SS thunderbolt any more.

Or you could just draw an S instead. Same thing, different font.

>aegishjalmur
have you googled it at least? do you know what it is?

That's the design I'm currently going for, since it's most pleasing, but I'm still a bit concerned about it being mistaken.