REAL World of Darkness/Chronicle of Darkness General /wodg/

/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

No Magewankery allowed, this is a thread about THE WORLD OF DARKNESS, not about how strong your PC is and how can he destroy the universe.

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
theonyxpath.com/now-available-cursed-necropolis-rio/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/when-will-bill-rage-monday-meeting-notes/

For those who don't know, here's the information we have thus far on the 5th edition of WoD:
pastebin.com/pvAtApt1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AaFp5xuHGck?t=24s
youtube.com/watch?v=opOUwDc1O-Q
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
youtube.com/watch?v=z9qpAosKdgI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What do we know of mages in 5e?

They are still supreme power level right?

>mage supremacy
>mage supremacy
>mage supremacy

Swedish Dracula is at the helm expect some bullshit like "creating true sunlight is beyond the scope of awakened magic"

Man, the last time two thread were made at the same time, knowingly, it was when I was the big thing. Good times.
Nothing at all yet, that i know of anyway. Other than the Technos are backing the new Inquisition, so i guess they can't be dead?

how does one physically represent creating sunlight in tryingtohardtobealarp 5e more like.

As a Magefag, I unironically love these.

mages > you

If you were to change how Generation functions, how would you do it? Not the removal of Generation, but changing it from a Background to a Merit, would you divide things as Neonate/Ancilla/Elder/Methuselah?

That sounds ok, but it would require quite the spending on points to get it.

Neonate Free
Ancilla 2 Points
Elder 6 Points
Methuselah 9+ Points

There's nothing wrong with mages being better than you

S'what I was thinking. I just like the concept of paying something besides background points for your Generation.

>This is what happens
>When 2 vampires
>3 werewolves
>and a mage
>decide to stop playing
>and start living in the real world

World of Darkness "Real World"

Go to your stupid containment thread magecucks.

Thread theme.

youtu.be/AaFp5xuHGck?t=24s

Virtue: Loyal
Vice: Sadistic

Path: Thyrsus
Order: Adamantine Arrow
Legacy: Umbran Witches

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 4
Physical Attributes: Strength 4(7), Dexterity 6(9), Stamina 4(7)
Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 3, Composure 4

Mental Skills: Academics 2, Crafts 2, Computer 1, Medicine 2, Occult (Spirits) 3, Politics 1, Investigation 2, Science 1

Physical Skills: Athletics (Acrobatics) 6, Brawl 4, Drive (Motorcycle) 4, Firearms (Pistols) 4, Larceny 1, Stealth 3, Survival 2, Weaponry 4

Social Skills: Animal Ken 2, Empathy 2, Expression (Wisecracking, Dancing) 3, Intimidation (Violence) 3, Persuasion (Seduction, Taunting) 3, Socialize 3, Streetwise 2, Subterfuge 3

Merits: Area Of Expertise (Spirits), Common Sense, Danger Sense, Indomitable, Interdisciplinary Specialty (Spirits), Professional Training 5 (Umbran Witch: Athletics, Firearms, Occult), Tolerance For Biology, Trained Observer 3, Ambidextrous, Crack Driver 3, Demolisher 3, Iron Stamina 3, Parkour 3, Stunt Driver 3, Allies (Enzo, Rodin, Luka), Barfly, Closed Book 2, Iron Will, Resources 3, Pusher, Order Status (Adamantine Arrow 3), Striking Looks 2 (Slender And Curvy), Table Turner, True Friend (Jeanne), Heavy Weapons 5, Martial Arts 5, Enhanced + Imbued Item (Scarborough Fair*), High Speech, Potent Nimbus 2, Rote Mastery (Shapechanging 3, Acceleration 3, Spirit Summons 3, World Walker 3), Shadow Name 2

*The Scarborough Fair is treated as a single item modeled after Heavy Pistols. It contains the following benefits: Find The Balance, Ex Nihilo (Conjures Ammunition Only), Ephemeral Enchantment, Auto Fire, +2 Damage Bonus, +2 Durability, +10 Mana.

Health: 12
Willpower: 8
Defense: 10
Initiative: 13
Speed: 21
Wisdom: 4
Gnosis: 7
Arcana: Life 4, Spirit 4, Time 3, Forces 2, Matter 4

Rotes: Life (Honing The Form, Shapechanging), Time (Acceleration), Spirit (Know Spirit, Command Spirit, Bolster Spirit, Reaching, Spirit Summons, Twilit Body, World Walker), Matter (Shaping)

Praxes: Life (Shapechanging), Time (Acceleration), Forces (Control Gravity), Spirit (Ephemeral Shield, Reaching, Spirit Summons, World Walker), Matter (Shaping)

Dedicated Magical Tool: Umbran Watch

Thanks! I can try to write stats for other fictional characters, if anyone is interested. Do keep in mind that I am only familiar with CoD.

Father Balder would make for an intriguing Obrimos.

As I see him, Balder is indeed an Obrimos. The Angels would be powerful and arrogant spirits operating as Balder's personal Choir that takes advantage of human beliefs. The Demons would be powerful spirits as well, but they'd be the purer, no-bullshit sort that can make deals but aren't anyone's slaves, which is why Bayonetta likes them more. Her Wicked Weaves and Witch Time are part of her Legacy Attainments, so there is no danger of Dissonance/Paradox/Quiescence.

youtube.com/watch?v=opOUwDc1O-Q

Counting second game could Blader be Obrimos that ascends to archmastery but switches to Aswadim?

V5 Info, get it while it's hot!

Only 3 Attributes - Physical, Social and Mental, 1-5 dots
Specialities for these Attributes like Strength, Charisma etc (the old atts) and others that were not old Atts add one die
Skills pretty much unchanged 1-5 dots
TN nearly always 6
Difficulty is now number of succs. needed
Disciplines are activated by "Rousing the Blood"
This means you add all your (red) Hunger die to the pool (they replace ordinary die). We started with 1 die.
Hunger die only added to skill based pools (including pools that use skills for disciplines) but not others like willpower.
Hunger die track 1-5
Hunger increased during play, but it happened to me only once and I cant recall the mechanical cause
Hunger went to zero when someone fed
Victims sometimes gave a small bonus to trait rolls (eg. the homeless guy gave a die for the next stealth roll I think). This was even when partially drained.
Each 1 on Hunger die triggers a Compulsion
Compulsions are clan based and the consequences situation based and were randomly generated. Our hungry Toreador walked into a burned out haven and became entranced by the beauty of the destruction. Police then crept up on him.
Compulsions could be overcome with Composure, but this left you with less Compusure to counter with should a Frenzy occur later.
Frenzy occurred when more 1s came up together (I think)
Willpower was 1-5 and could be spent to reroll all the failed dice, so long as there was at least one success

Continued...

Humanity was in there at 1-10, but was not tested or afaik used in the beta, the focus was on other mechanics
Characters also had advantages like backgounds and merits, but these too were not a focus of play
The focus was really on how the mechanics and storytelling aspects of play integrated with one another
Im not going to give my views as I want that to brew for a while and to submit it to the offical feedback place first
The story was very dense - I dont think any table completed it in the 4 hours of play - and was a direct follow up to the events of the Enlightenment in Blood LARP which concluded the night before. The story became the first event of the new VtM metaplot.
It was set in Berlin in the current nights during an Anarch uprising that saw the final death of Breidenstein and numerous other vampires as well as follow up trouble coming from the Inquisition. We were all Camarilla neonates trying to find the vampire who had blood bonded us all. It was a clusterfuck. There were several classic moments in the story where the Hunger mechanics produced a genuine 'Vampire' moment.

I made one reporting error in my earlier post, the Anarchs are being forced out of the Camarilla, of course. But its a changed Camarilla, almost broken. The Anarchs are basically turning on a tyrannical, despotic organisation. The events in Berlin were the catalyst for a global change, as the Anarchs pulled the Camarilla to its knees here last week.
Generation was still in development but the idea talked about was that it would be less discernable and more difficult to know which generation your character or anothers actually was. Line of descent may be growing murky to the characters.

Continued...

Gehenna (the actual events of any ToJ metaplot) was not revealed but my sense is that V5 will feature a selection of elements from ToJ blended togther into a new version of Gehenna which for now we only know as the Gehenna Wars.
The two looks for vampire I mentioned are cosmetic looks, nothing more. Vampires in Elysium dress (and act) differently. This I feel is a nod to the LARPers, who like to really go to town on a look that would often shred the Masquerade on the streets. Elysium is now a place where they can let their monsters show and relax.

on combat - oh yeah! mostly between the characters as the situation was really intensive and desperate.
You could rouse the blood to increase any Attribute not just Physical. Also to heal.
Damage was really interesting, it came as either Superficial or Aggravated. Anything that could conceivably kill you was Aggravated for you. Aggravated damage was also very slow to heal.
You didnt take any penalty or injury until a certain level was reached (5 I think) then you took a nasty consequence that was dependent on the type of damage used.
The fighting was between the coterie members, the coterie and the German armed forces, the coterie and some very well equipped dudes who were likely New Inquisitors, and the coterie and some Anarchs. It worked well and was entertaining.
By the way, a little bird sitting in the middle of the nest told me that EDOM from Nights Black Agents were being ported or adapted into WoD...check out The Dracula Dossier for more on that little insight...and you'll realise this could easily be and probably will be part or even the heart of the New Inquisition.

Continued...

Does anyone have house rules they think help make the game better?

I'm looking for anything that might help make combat less wonky for changeling

Fuck it, here's a pastebin of the new V5 info.

pastebin.com/cp0r59da

>the homeless guy gave a die for the next stealth roll

& were right.

>finally getting back into these games, working my way through the nWoD 2e books
>here's what we know about 5e
fuck

2e is CofD/NWoD.
5e is OWoD.

Two entirely different game lines. You didn't miss two extra editions, dude.

I have just one question for combat: have they gotten rid of soak rolls?

How do you like your Hunter games, WoDg? Street level people trying to protect people from monsters? Modern day crusaders trying to purge the night of abominations? Government agents? Black ops? Hobo with a shotgun?

Rogue guys trying to kill supernaturals for their own reasons always sound cool to me.

All of the above!

That sounds nice, but a little bit complicated in game terms, the storyteller must prepare even the minor details this way.

Rogue as in people who left a larger group, or rogue in terms of using stealth, trickery, and cunning?

Now this is the right attitude. Got any particular cells of note you're thinking of, and does your group often mix up the backgrounds of the cellmates?

More of a combination of the two,

The only time I've ever run 'hunters' it was using the 1e NWoD blue book stuff. It was a lot of 'drawn together through fate/interactions under a governmental cover operation' deal, way before HtV was a thing.

Cool. Got any good stories of pulling one over on the creatures of the night?

It's not too different, though Hunters get risks and tactics, both of which are tons of fun.

I would've one, it was more like of a chess game against a vampire, were we ended victorious, but only half of the party survived.

A chess game? How so?

I streamline combat by taking the rolls out of damage and soak. The difficulty on those is almost always, if not always, six. As such, I assume a fifty percent success rate rounding up.

Say gangbanger X fires a special bullet that is lethal to vampires in shovelhead X He rolls to hit and gets four successes. He then adds these four successes to the gun's base damage of four and divides this number in half for a total of four levels. Shovelhead X has a Stamina of three. Divided in half, this comes to 1.5 and rounded up, it comes to Two. He therefore soaks two lethal damage and takes two lethal damage.

Powers such as potence and fortitude that allow you to burn blood for auto-successes add their full value to the calculation rather then half their value. The end result is that every action in combat is resolved with a single roll of the dice against a known difficulty of six, plus or minus any modifiers.

Caine's not actually strong at all. He just has GOD personally watching over him.

Okay dude. I am on your side, but you arent gonna win because magefags refuse to just accept there's literally no reason an archmage and caine would cross paths so they're just gonna repeat "prime sphere 6" at you till you get fed up and walk away

prime sphere 6

Ascendant >= God >= Oracle >= Celestine/Incarna >= Exemplar >= Archmage > Caine > Antediluvian > Methuselah >= Mage(Master) >= Earthbound > Mage >= Vampire(Elder) > Werewolf > Vampire > Mage(beginner) >>> Changeling

What are exemplars and oracles in Owod?

Evolved Archmages

How do I beat a Plain without getting the Consequences of Violence on me?

Is there any game that uses Storyteller/Storytelling that is not set in WoD? Some regular non-fantasy fiction.

You can use the game mechanics of most WoD games in a setting of your own creation with minimal effort, if it's the same time period/tech level.

I've only played VTM and Dark Ages. Any tip on what I should do to replace Disciplines?

You can't they're more powerful than the exarchs.

Can anyone help me brainstorm some ideas for my Mage 2e chronicle?

I'm working on a scenario right now where the PCs will be investigating Seer activity, and the hope is that they will stumble upon something that implicates members of the Consillium as being involved with the Seers. Problem is, I can't think of WHAT that something should be.

It doesn't have to be very solid evidence, and it maybe (probably) isn't even true, but it needs to be enough for the Ladder & Arrow who control the Consillium to have an excuse to crack down on the Free Council.

Any ideas?

World of Darkness Keynote 2017 - Berlin

youtube.com/watch?v=z9qpAosKdgI

>obligatory mage supremacy comment

Thanks for the link. I've been falling asleep all day, need something to keep my ass awake.

I JUST WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD WITHOUT MAGES

So why did White Wolf use its own staff as models for the Clans?

The people weren't WW or other subsidiary/licensee company staff until long after they were models. The model thing was a way to recognize the fans for V20.

>Pentex celebrates [Trump's] inauguration

Was Elricsson just a fan back then as well?

Heya folks, I'm going to run Demon: The Descent and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, figure out what exactly I should be doing when thinking up a scenario. If anyone has any experience with it or advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

God intended all of mankind to be mages. Demons state that humanity was made in his image, not in form but in soul. Many mages speculate that the true nature of avatars and ascension is that avatars are fragments of God and ascension is joining with the greater sum of God. Adam was the first mage, Lilith was the second mage as a Verbena forerunner, his second wife and Eve were the first sleepers. When God created a new wife for Adam he opted to make her a sleeper so Adam can lord over her without contest which he couldn't do with Lilith as she was a fellow mage. When Adam and Eve later ate from the Tree, God's curse was to take back his gift of default magehood that was supposed to be inherent in mankind, thus making most future humans sleepers. When Caine slew Abel he changed creation, introducing violence. God cursed him to prevent Caine from awakening and ascending as God rejected and possibly feared Caine at all possible levels. Being a vampire is literally God rejecting you.

First time story teller gonna a V20 game with my friends who have never played before.

What are some good starter ideas/stories/dilhemmas you guys have run? Looking for inspiration to switch my brain from DnD campaigns

Both the Elysium and Street styles look absolutely retarded.

Yup. He got involved officially back when CCP bought the WoD IP.

The middle one on street looks dumb, the other street ones are at least something you could pick up in a normal store.

>Pentex buys out Urban Outfitters and Hot Topic to track vampiric customers

Keynote info

* Wants to build as the 'biggest transmedia brand', with a consistent story and aspects across aspects of media
* Wants it to be a participatory entertainment
* MET Changeling the Dreaming re-interated
* They have partners in place for the WoD TV series, with a target of 2020
* Talked about being at Gencon and PDX with previews/playtests of V5 (obviously starting next year)
* No specific time for V5 playtest rules
* worldofdarkness.com will become a community portal for all methods of the game, but will start with LARP focus (something that was previewed separately was a LARP game tracker with character creation, which is part of this)
* Dhaunae is REAL lou (like, she carried without the mic, just a funny anecdote).
* Storytellers Vault will be the first user-created content section, starting with Masquerade. It'll have spots to publish fiction, supplements, etc. along with templates for use so that fan material looks like book material
* Storyteller Vault will have sections for non-English language submissions
* Apparently this is not just a 'fan share' site as well; they mentioned that you keep half of the revenue, so it looks like it'll actually be for full-on publishing of things via WW.
* Talked about the game finder aspects, and clear labeling of content/expectations in those games
* Talked about an Augmented Reality aspect of the WoD, with an 'in world' website and newsticker
* Same setting bible will be used for every piece of transmedia, which will be reflected in the material in the V5 core and the two initial setting books, Camarilla and Anarch
* Some photos are labeled Elysium and Street; it's a dichotomy between something you'd see on a runway catwalk or in a period piece production vs. modern fashion
* Reiteration of the Gehenna stuff we already had. A bit more about the Second Inquisition, in that the vampires' own attempts to use the ABC agencies of government for their own ends is what revealed them and brought about the issue.

>the Eldest, the thickest of blood, are called away
>into the east, into the places where old temples stretching tens of thousands of years tell of a time before Enoch, during the birth of the Antediluvians

Wait what?

>4th, 5th and 6th generation get pulled by the Beckoning for the Gehenna Wars

It's always been a thing in Vampire to have ancient hidden temples. This posits those as the battleground between clans under their Antediluvians in the Gehenna War.

Myself, I like the concept of the removal of high generations and giving the neonates/ancilla more play. The 'in over their head' aspect of that sounds fun.

ARGH the removal of low generations. I need to go back to bed, stupid sickness.

Jesus christ that's just embarrassing.

I don't like this because they're all about setting an ageist/classist conflict, i.e. the higher generations vs the lower ones. If the actual Elders and Methuselahs were still around, there'd be no conflict to speak of, hence the Beckoning, hence them being pulled away.

Also, this idea that the Anarch section of the new take on Kindred society uphold only the first tradition, i.e. the masquerade, is kind of retarded. What happens when these Anarchs start Embracing people left and right, when they're already being watched by the 2nd Inquisition?

I'm withholding full judgement until I see it. I was never a fan of the Anarchs myself, but vampire has always been classist/ageist, even from 1e terming the neonates as 'anarchs' within the Camarilla. There's a very 'build from aspects of 1e' angle in this version, which I'm okay with right now.

Any Ascension 5e news?

Your first example of what this is, is in the vampire mobile game. That game is all about rampant anarch embraces.

ELRICSSON TO REMOVE MAGE FOREVER

I haven't played that one. What's the game like?

Nothing. Mage is still a ways off, they said it'd be third in the group. There was something mentioned about 'how far AI has developed' and 'who controls the Technocracy' somewhere, but I don't have a source. I assume Authochthon has taken over the Technos, and the running assumption from the One World of Darkness teaser is that Mage is a very Matrix-esque conflict, with traditions terrorism vs. Technocractic Agency.

It's a shitty CYOA text game. The concept is, you're a newly Embraced vampire of really low gen (you take a couple of days to fully turn), and it's told through you interacting via text and other messages with others who were Embraced the same time as you. It's... very not good, as far as the content. But the big 'final villain' is apparently a Tremere, and there's a lot of Anarch embraces going on and talks about Elders disappearing. So it's like preview to the Anarch section, perhaps.

>really low gen

Did you mean really high gen?

Will mages still be ubermensch in 5e?

Yes. I have fucked that up EVERY TIME I have tried to type it today.

Yes, you're actually a thinblood iirc, as are most the characters.

It's insufferable, I really, really hate the protag and characters of that game and it's even worse because they're all basic bitch worthless thinbloods.

Will Mage still be the beefiest splat?

The answer is always going to be yes.

No
>Mummy masterrace

Honestly, the holy flame covered weapons and blessed armor that can turn bullets is enough for me. And hey, it looks like 2e is going to make it easier to make your own endowments anyways.

>implying Mummy will get a 5e (or would it be 3e for Mummy, then?) version

They said that the 'off culture' splats they won't do until they have someone native to those cultures and such to do them. So, no KotE or KotEK on the docket so far.

Of course, anything would be better than Animu Japan from Requiem 2e, so...

All of the other WW/OPP games. If you want regular action I'd wait for trinity continuum core book. Sounds right up your alley.