How do you monk in 5e?

How do you monk in 5e?
Experienced martial artist? Wise old master? Naive prodige trying to prove himself? World Martial Arts champion trying to protect his title?
Masked vigilante trying to fight an evil corrupt organization hell bent on world domination?

Generally people just make le funny kung-fu movie references and have their character get drunk since "that's how he fights the best XD!".

Asinime/Wuxia Fighter

The only time I played monk in 5e it was a lawful evil halfing. He wanted to become the most lethal being in the world, worshipped dragons, and had an inferiority complex a mile wide. Good fun in an all evil campaign.

Pretty much Ranma Saotome.

Isn't 5e the edition where monks have what's basically a zen elementalist spec? I've always wanted to play 5e to try that.

Also, in the past I've been guilty of playing monks as masked wrestlers with lots of grappling.

High Wis, Low Int. Pretty much pic related.

Four elements monk is pretty weak compared to other archetypes

Kung-fu police officer/bounty hunter.

Being a moral compass doesn't make pic related high wis though as shown precisely in the episode from which pic related is. If she has anything high it is CHA, which is useless for a monk.

My first monk was a short (5'5'') half-elf, ex-sailor boxer with a salty tongue and a saltier attitude. Every inch of him below the neck was tattooed, he loved to get pissed, and he loved to indulge in the excesses of the flesh ;)
He was also a very disciplined person with a strong sense of professionalism and loyalty. Neutral good character with a secret heart of gold, under all those tattoos. His name was also Big Bob.

As long as you don't use weapons or magic, anything goes IMO when it comes to monk.

The last I played was just a good boxer.

Guy from a well of familly who picked up a martial arts manual when he was a kid.
He's decided to give up his part of the inheritence to his older brother for some money so he can freely travel and enjoy him self.

As for how he fights.
Accrobatic Boxer who uses magic to temper his body so his punches hurt worse than getting clubbed.

Going for this desu.

Alcoholic racist stereotype

Which would explain why she was easily beaten.
Great character, but should stick to the Bard class.

Brash youngster who offsets her own talent by being impatient and has been groomed to be the chosen one for so much of her life that it's all she has?

I've always enjoyed the "Wise old man"
and the "crazy old man" monk archetypes, bonus points if you combine them like Lu-Tze the Sweeper from Terry Pratchet's "Thief of Time"

Nah, just a cunty dyke.

Yes, but also runaway trying to learn about the world she is supposed to protect some day.

Now that Mystics are a thing I want to do either Akuma or Kureha Shinogi from Grappler Baki, or both.

Basically a fighter who uses his advanced medical knowledge to unlock the fullest extent of his physical power and hopes for a decent challenge.

He also has no problem calling big burly fighters sweet heart and sugarplum just to annoy them.