Could a character remain Lawful/Neutral Good if they knowingly, but also begrudgingly...

Could a character remain Lawful/Neutral Good if they knowingly, but also begrudgingly, allow a party member to torture a captive for vital information that'll be for the greater good?

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/15/primaris-space-marines-faq-may15gw-homepage-post-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Only if the torture is emotional and based on lies.

The DM has the final word in this.

That being said, a good DM lets people roleplay their characters, not alignments. I would imagine a paladin torturing some orcs for information in a fit of rage after they raided some village and slaughtered everyone. If he was disgusted and horrified at what he did afterwards, he wouldn't fall. But that's how I usually handle alignment restrictions: if you can roleplay it well, and it makes sense in-universe, I'll allow it. Characters at their lowest point in life could make up some interesting story opportunities.

That being said #2, I really fucking hate alignments and DnD in general, and I would play a better system any day.

No. Torture doesn't even work.

Sure, why not. I would describe the torture pretty gruesomely though. Suffice to say, the captive would know nothing about what the party would want to ask him, and would piss himself and cry after the first extracted tooth or whatever else they want to do with him. That would both serve as a good roleplaying opportunity, and teach them to use the phrase "for the greater good" more carefully next time.

Probably not. If he was a real man, he'd put his foot down and make a well-reasoned argument.

It's funny how all the people who screech "TORTURE DOESN'T WORK!!!!" all happen to be opponents of torture on moral grounds too. Coincidentally, of course.

There's nothing inherently wrong with torture. Yes, it's not the noblest of deeds, but sometimes you just have to do it.

its not illegal if the law allows it

It doesn't matter what the moral grounds are or whether the stakes are high enough. It just doesn't work.

it quite often sqeezes out cofessions of guilt that are straight out not true (see witchhunting) or that torture forces victims to fabricate false information because they know jack shit

I'm pretty sure that after five minutes of me sending electric shocks throw your nipples, you'll tell me everything I want to know.

Most of the time, the tortured guys just lie because they want the torture to stop. If they indeed don't know anything, then you are also completely fucked. And an idiot.

Wrong. I'll tell you everything you want to -hear-. There's a difference.

What if I don't even know jack shit?

EXCUSE ME, but even some ancient greeks who used torture were not really that sure about its usefulness. A quote from motherfucking Aristotle, father of all sciences (except medical).

It's great how everything other people tell you just confirms your own biases, isn't it? Makes me wonder if there's a whole class of biased people who would always value their own opinions about justice rather than face the facts, especially the ones enforced by statistics.

Straight from Warhammer community itself

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/15/primaris-space-marines-faq-may15gw-homepage-post-2/

Can I field a whole army of Primaris Marines?

You totally can. From a background point of view, some Chapters, especially those decimated in the events of the Gathering Storm, now have entire companies of these new warriors. Others have incorporated squads of Primaris Space Marines into existing Battle Companies. And perhaps most excitingly, Guilliman has founded some entirely new Chapters out of these new Space Marines.

I have an army. Can I field Primaris Space Marines?

Any of the galaxy’s many hundreds of Codex Chapters can use Primaris Space Marines, along with many of the less Codex-compliant ones like Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Wolves.

Isn't it an amazing coincidence how they found all those actual real witched during the witch hunts?
Such an odd thing that way before any sort of procedure for criminal investigation were formulated, they just happened to find all the real witches just by capturing people, torturing them, and then it turns out they were the real ones because they told the torturers what they wanted to hear. Life is a mystery.

40k posting is the worst form of torture.

Thing is, this is a game. If beating information out of a guy would make for a more interesting game, then he'll tell the party what they need to know.

Whether torture actually worked in real life or not is irrelevant.

>19 posts
>8 posters

People are discussing the wrong question anyway. Being Good isn't about results. If torture worked perfectly every time it still wouldn't be a Goodly act.

Neutral yes, lawful no. Lawful would try to stop it, neutral might begrudgingly allow it to pass for the sake of good.

Not that alignments fucking matter if you're not playing with literal children who will treat it like a videogame and just be sorandum all the time anyway.

What is the definition of the word "the" ... character proceeds to turn a blind eye.

No, the whole point of good is stopping evil irregardless of consequences.

How long until the arguement about genocide kicks back up?

One act does not shift your alignment

How many acts does it take then

No. This isn't hard. Torture is evil.

I think a lot of people think otherwise just because they can't accept the fact that they are actually evil people.

That would depend upon the paladin's specific god. However, I'd probably make the paladin fall.

But in that regard, it worked exactly as intended. An excuse to fabricate information for the good of a person or organization.

A majority. If its 50/50 or less, you are neutral, or good leaning neutral.

Lawful good no, flat
Neutral good MAYBE
Chaotic Good year
Lawful Neutral yes, but only if it's legal

IF IT WORKED IT MIGHT NOT BE CONSIDERED SO FUCKING IMMORAL

nuclear bombs work and they are considered immoral.

That's why we always used them in wars after the 40-ies, right?

that wasn't the question.

The question was if it worked or not. And they do. They complete their objective too well, even.

Thus, the point that "if it worked it wouldn't be considered immoral", is patently false.

This is a whole thing is basically a huge debate but take an alternative. Cast charm person on the guy if he tries to resist threaten to torture the shit out of him, as in use an intimidate check they're are not many reason to have to go straight to torture unless you wanna start some drama or have a roleplay moment but mechanically there are plenty of alternatives

>neutral might begrudgingly allow it to pass for the sake of good.

This is the most irritating fucking mistake you people make. Neutral Good DOES NOT commit Evil to promote "good ends" or the "greater good" or some other shit. Neutral Good is the most purity and goodness looking motherfucker alive.

Neutral Good will die before it tortures someone, period, fucking full stop. Fuck all you utilitarian fucking idiots that don't understand Good.