Kamigakari Thread

New thread once again.

In this thread, lets try something a bit different. If you have generic anime-style art, post it. Hopefully this'll help people get idea's for character concepts and the like. I'll post some of Rikizou's stuff as the thread goes on.

If people need the PDFs or any other part of the RAR outside of the link, i can give those separately. Just ask.

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iNefvCy70vA
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52648193/#q52685676
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Gonna start with a small art dump, to get things rollin.

Anyone have questions? Stories? idea's? Help with a theme for a campaign?

I'm curious. Are there rules for creating your own mononoke? Or do you just have to wing it if you want something that isn't a pre-generated NPC?

Y'know, thats a good question. Lemme give the book a look and get back to you on that. Thats one thing i wanted to do as a thread sometime, but hadn't looked into yet.

If there isn't yet, there probably is in one of the expansions.

Giving it a cursory glance, there doesn't appear to be anything about creating mononoke outright. However, we can make do without by using others of its type as a comparison.

I know one user wanted to make a persona themed campaign, so that may include making a lot of mononoke.

I'm still reading the game to understand it better.

I showed this game to my friends, and a couple were not a fan of the spirit pool system, in particular the fact that powers require specific rolls from your spirit pool.

People that have played this, what is your opinion on it?

Tell your friends to stop being pansies.

There are methods to manipulate the pool itself. There are classes based around it, and even talents to reduce the cost.

Its a bit taxing at first, but its by no means crippling. It only seems bad if you haven't tried it. In action its much smoother than it sounds on paper.

What kind of players are they though? If they are hardcore powergamers that don't like variability in the slightest, they may not like any system that isn't 3.PF.

I missed you

One of them really prefers roleplaying over actual mechanics as "numbers aren't his strongest suit".
The other is a mixture of roleplaying and rollplaying, and mostly plays 5e dnd with his other group.

Then huzzah, the social portions are just for them. The social stuff is mostly freeform, aided by checks and maneuvers.

The costs are not terribly hard to deal with, so far as memorization goes. Up until level 5, only half of your talents may even have a cost at all. Its easy enough to have written on a post-it note, and you only need 4 extra D6 die, which you can get at any store.

Numbers are definitely not hard to remember in this game. Most of the rolls are simply 2d6+mod, which will more often than not be written down, and not be modified by anything. if it is, its by your talents, which are really easy to math out. Simple addition at best. For rank, there's a table specifically for that, and you don't need to math out anything. just reference total rank+highest die roll, and bam. Base damage.

It is way less number heavy than it seems. At the same time, roleplay and refluffing isn't only possible, but encouraged, within logical limits. Any character they want to roleplay out, its pretty easy to do. There have been a scant few concepts we couldn't make and one of those had no abilities to speak of.

Thanks for this info, user
I will keep pushing for them to try this out!

My suggestion is to have them play a game of it, and THEN judge it.

many things sound different on paper than how they play out in reality. Whether in a good or a bad way, the only way to truly know something like this is to actually do it.

There are plenty of premades, both characters and scenario's, so if they are really apprehensive, have them try playing one of those. If they like the feel of the game, then they can worry about making a character of their own.

Don't worry. Thread misses everyone.

I'm taking a few days off between threads so user's don't get burnt out.

youtube.com/watch?v=iNefvCy70vA

I wonder if I can find a game where they run Kamigakari's system in the vein of God Eater or Code Vein.

With a few tweaks it might work.

>with a few tweaks

Dude, you probably wouldn't need to even tweak anything.

Arc slayer is basically God eater characters outright. Without the eating thing, admittedly, but you get parts from defeated stuff anyways.

Aramitama are basically aragami as well. Rather, aragami are probably a post apocalyptic take on the concept of Ara Mitama anyways.

True that, but we might have to take out the magic aspect. But those are all fluff tweaks.

Yeah, those are real easy fluff tweaks.

Hell, elder mage could just be the guns from rage burst. Digital sorcerer could be Link-Burst.

The amount of fluff that would need changed in the core book is so minimal its hilarious.

Even some of the expansion style's could be explained pretty easy, like legacy user being first or second gen god eaters, contractor and divine talker could be something with blood powers, god hand could just be a "newly made" type of weaponless god eater. All god eaters are essentially arc slayer/legion at some level, so thats super easy too. The only one that would need heavy refluffing is time wizard, and even that isn't terribly hard.

The more i think about this the more i like the idea for it.

If only we could find a group willing to run it.

Well, you could DM it yourself.

Frankly, if people in this thread saw you were gonna start one, they'd probably hop on that shit like ugly on an ape.

It would require homebrewing a lot of enemies, but thats fine.

There's no actual guidelines for mononoke creation yet, yes?

Not really. Best you got is comparison to pre-mades.

That said, one thing god eater does a lot is reskin enemies, so if you make the base enemies, you can use them like in regular kamigakari and simply add talents or abilities as needed.

In combat, when attacked, do you:

1. Roll Evasion/Resist/Insight (with possible influence dice) against Accuracy/Conjure.
2. If it's higher you dodge, and lower you get hit?
3. Then reduce damage by corresponding damage resistance stat?

1. Yes.
2. Yes, active check beats reactive on a tie. (attack beats defense)
3. gonna add a step. use half effects here. Each half further halves damage. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc.
4. Yes. Keep in mind if a talent is used that ignores armor or barrier.

His style seems to shift from pic to pic

Honestly the Human ability to manipulate the numbers seems to be the best freebie ability in the game by a mile, at least, if you're concerned about being able to toss your powers out quickly and easily.

You would think so, but its only slightly more useful than everyone's ability to do the same taking 1 turn. Many classes get abilities to alter a spirit die on a stat check (most useful is the scions appearance check one).

Frankly, while that is a good one, its not broken good. Many races get some pretty broken stuff, especially now that the expansion for it is translated. or at least mostly translated.

Nice. This can really help people out. Oversimplifying too far is a bit of an issue for the core classes, but overall this is totally correct.

I wrote this up recently as a superficial rundown of basic character choices for Players. Maybe it'll be helpful to some people.

CLASS

You want to be a Swordsman? Arc Slayer.

You want to be a Gunman? Legion.

You want to be a Brawler? God Hand.

You want to be a Bard? Divine Talker.

You want to be a Bender? Elemental Adept.

You want to be a Wizard? Elder Mage.

You want to be a Technomancer? Digital Sorcerer.

You want to be a Summoner? Contractor.

You want to be a transforming (Super-) Hero? Dragon Carrier.

You want to be the Holder of a Legendary Weapon/Item? Legacy User.

You want to be a manipulator of Time itself? Time Wizard.

RACE

You want to be a plain old Human? Human.

You want to be descended from a God? Scion.

You want to have Monster blood? Darkstalker.

You want to have a Youkai in your family tree? Hanyou.

You want to come from a long line of wizards? Magus.

You want to be a Cyborg? Cyborg.

You want to have the blood of Dragons? Dragon Lord.

You want to have strange Eye Powers? Demon-Eyed.

You want be a powerful Spirit? Divine Soul.

You want to be a famous Mythical/Historical Figure? Heroic Spirit.

You want to be a person from Another World? Marebito.

You want to be a Weird Monster? There's an untranslated Mononoke PC Race.

Had to reupload because of a typo.

@ translator
What was the Mononoke PC race called? I can't find it anymore.

Was it Nigi mitama?

I don't know, That's the problem.
Hopefully KagamiAnon can weigh in.

Or should I trawl desuarchive?

This is actually pretty useful and makes me want to know more about this game

>kagamianon

I dunno who the fuck that is. Either way, its up to you. He'll probably show up soon enough. If you can't wait too long though, feel free to go through the archives. There's only been a handful of threads in the past while, so it won't take terribly long.

Ask away if you have any questions.

It's basically Anime Shonen Series: The RPG. You play someone who has spirit powers and tries to prevent the world from being destroyed by evil, whether it be by SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY or punching it to death with your bare hands, or summoning your grandpa's 10,000 year old sword made of bullshittium.

Found it.
>>archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52648193/#q52685676

It's Sakimitama.

Or by being an adorable magical girl. Or any other which way you wanna slice it.

There's shounen, shoujo, and seinen versions of it.

You wanna go full grimdark and be guts? Go wild.

you wanna be the magical girl? Go wild.

You wanna be the superhero? Go right ahead.

Calling it anime shonen series is a bit more limiting than you'd think it is.

I knew it was one of the mitama. Couldn't remember which exactly.

Would it be a bad idea to make a character be both magic and physical based in this system?

Also if I was running a Boss, is it a good idea to give it double turns?

>is it a bad idea for both physical and magic

Not at all. I'd go so far as to say its encouraged.

>boss
Not really. Most bosses have AoE attacks, high damage, and high health. They are already well and above the party, before adding talents. If you feel a boss isn't strong enough, look through the talents for mononoke and slap one or two on

While there are no rules for creating mononoke outright, making a boss (or Aramitama) is actually outlined in the "NPC Creation" part of the GM section

I forgot to mention that a boss also gets its modifiers ON TOP OF the ones gained for being an aramitama.

Basically, to create a boss, you do it in four steps.

1. Choose a mononoke
2. Alter it into an aramitama using the set up guidelines. Alter values and add 2 talents +concept invincibility (which just makes them immune to anything civvies do)
3. Add boss modifiers on top of this. This includes more health depending on level and a specific amount of boss talents decided on by level (minimum 3)
4. Making a "Distortion" that may also help the boss if the players don't manage to seal it.

I'm here now. Stuff I saw needed answering: no, there is no method to create one's own Mononoke aside from guessing at appropriate values by comparing to equal-level enemies. (Rikizou needs something to put in R&R magazine after all.)

Sakimitama is indeed the Mononoke PC race, but it's nothing exciting or special, just literally another race like Scion or Cyborg but fluffed as a Mononoke. (Nigimitama is the other name for Divine Souls, by the way, as they are the opposite of Aramitama.)

Gonna unload some art.

Yeah. i shoulda realized Nigimitama wasn't right.

Then again, being mitama at all is pretty high up the food chain.

Well thats dark.

This kid reminds me of either kumagawa, or a kobito.

Japs love incorporating some edge into their art.

Thats not untrue.

Also, i'ma save these into a folder for future reference, in case people need a pic.

I have a ton of art so feel free. Sharing is caring and I often don't dump a lot of this since it's often too "weeb" for most people.

This one reminds me of that one chick from busou renkin.

Also, you are in good company then, friend. Weebshit belongs here, if anywhere.

I'm just dumping what I think fits the established setting, but let me know if there's a certain aesthetic I've missed.

So what kind of storylines does this system work out best with? Is it just a anime story system?

Hunting monsters is the basic setting premise. What you do with it is entirely up to you.

I've seen threads about this system before. About how difficult is it to run compared to something like shadowrun? Thinking of starting up a campaign with a few friends

Also, would it be possible/what would be the best way to go about creating a Kamen Rider/tokusatsu style character?

And that's the last of my dump. Hope it was of use.

It's been ages since I've looked at Shadowrun. I guess the only way they're similar is the huge lists of available items. From what I remember, I'd say this system is easier, but someone with more expertise can probably tell you more.

Kamen Rider is exceptionally easy. The 'Dragon Carrier' class was basically made for this.

Thanks. They can serve as good inspiration, or something to build a character from.

Lots of good stuff. Mighty fine contribution to the thread.

Shadowrun is far more difficult. From making a character to simply attacking, there's several extra steps involved, making it not for the meek.

As for dragon carrier, you are correct. It can also encompass "Modes", or different states for characters, and Magical girls especially well.

Kamigakari is way simpler than i would say most systems out there. Its easy to learn, hard to master type of deal.

Combat is super smooth, comparatively to shadowrun that has like, 12 steps in confirming a hit, 30 different ways to make a shot, etc etc.

You attack or you use an attack talent. You roll 2d6+Accuracy/conjure against their evasion/resist. Total up the damage numbers if you do hit, and deal that damage. Then they mitigate it by however much they can.

TL;DR this is WAY simpler than shadowrun.

I've been looking for a new RPG to try out with my group, and I think this might be it. Urban Fantasy is something we all like.

>Knight-Templars are a faction
I'm already seeing the full paladin party.

Deus vult, friend. Deus vult.

Deus vult, good sirs.

That damned Being X.

I look forward to see NotHakumen this saturday.

I mean. She'd fit right in round here. You are essentially killing loads of "Being X".

Now this is something i want to see done. Especially if the player can pull off a hakumen type character.

If your god ever disappoints, you should kill him too.
Reach heaven through violence.

Sounds interesting. How do the classes distinguish themselves mechanically?

Forgive her for the violence she is about to commit.

Looks like a straight-up Cyborg Arc Slayer. Maybe add some Elder Mage for the drive?

Most of them have a focus that works all to itself. Even the A/B style's have vastly different focus's.

For example, Arc slayer's A is sheer weapon offense, where-as B focus's on evasion and avoidance. Elder mage A focus's on magic damage, where-as B focus's more on support. Digital sorcerer focus's on spirit manipulation, and its A form is more offensive and its B form more defensive.

Basically, each one has special abilities that make it unique unto itself. Dark hunter is the only style able to move and make a ranged or magic action, as an example.

It comes down to the Class Talents your are able to select, and there are way too many to go into detail here. Race is the same.
Each Class also adds points to a different combination of base Stats.

I'm a bigger fan of this dude than the other player, but I'm the forever DM. I probably could,
but I think he'll give decent results.

I'll keep this in mind, I'll see what I can do.

That sounds a bit wishy-washy. How does weapon offense differ from magic damage?
And what exactly are those unique special abilities?

Do the classes have something like D&D 4e's class features that strongly influence how the class works or do these Talents follow a mechanical theme?