sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
New arcanas brought us a lot of archetypes, but some things are still missing. What do you want to see in the game?
Picrelated, a blighter would be pretty swell - or maybe some kind of abberation-themed druid, that doesn't scream goody two-shoes.

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1m7nEU8eZ
arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shadow Dancer Rogue. I know you can already do it with a Monk/Rogue but Monk comes with too many abilities that don't fit.

I just want bonus action shadow-port and Sneak Attack.

Second for WotC should embrace their name and do away with martial classes.

Hoping for new items next arcana. Preferably old items updated for 5e.

Yeah I can and have been taking and updating AD&D and 3.5e shit, but trawling through pdf after pdf takes time.

>AoA

never played a lock so I dunno how AoA works

say I cast it at 4th level, took a hit that did 15 points of damage. That creature takes 20 cold damage, and then hits me again with another attack. Do they take 20 more points of damage or do they take 5?

Fixed several typos, and made nu-lay on hands only effect one spell at a time.

I'll try not to re-post until anything significant is changed.

things i'd like, anything aberration related, monstrous PC options, more uses for Int and arcane magic in general that isn't just wizards, anything psionic that makes sense.

>they were on a ledge overlooking it, on a volcano, all three of them decided to dive in.
What fucking possessed them to think that there could an illusion of a lava river, in the most likely place you'd find one?

How does this backstop sound for a semi-normie game? This is the first time I will play a PC instead of forever DM.

>Lawful Neutral Hill Dwarf Cleric of War.
>Follower of Gorm Gulthyn, and trained in one of his temples since He was 50
>Now 75.
>Dwarf Counsel of Thornhold where the temple is located feel no danger is present, and a temple of vigilant dwarfs is not worth the money, space, or special treatment.
>Forced to leave and split up
>Now wonder the real world, not sure what to do or what purpose I serve
>The priest simply told us that one day a dire need will draw us back together to protect our people
>Very protective

I just wanted to avoid edgy cliche, and also make it easy for the DM to push us all together.

They take 20 more.

What the fuck is a cantrip?

Look at this idiot, everyone!

Fuck it. I really mistyped something.

Is Alert worth it on Assassins?

A spell that also draws you a card.

It mostly matters how you conduct yourself, and how much you add to the game. There's nothing wrong with having an edgy story as long as you're not using it as a tool to be a wet towel. I've played with a super edgy backstory, but also played comedic relief on the same character.

How's that going for you?

Dead campaign. He ended up being the party leader, but the comedic parts ended up from other people's chaotic dumbass characters getting him framed for crimes and having him wrapped up in all kinds of high jinks he'd have to cluelessly stumble out of.

Reposting with previous changes.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1m7nEU8eZ

Chained Sword Changes
>Made the Grip 2/3/4 times per Day
>Removed the short rest limit on the Calamity abilities because now the Grip is per day.(Should Calamity's End be limited per short rest? Or is this okay?)

Changes to the Lightning Glaive
>Lowered the damage to 1d4 Lightning damage
>Added the saving throw for Lightning Bolt
>(Should the haste spell be non-concentration as the gem is channeling it or is that too much? )

Dual weapons changes
>They are now Shortswords
>(I still don't know if these are too strong or not, they do work separately as their own weapon requiring their own attunement slots, but they work even better together. In their current state are they too much?)

>Cantrip is a word of Scots origin to mean a magical spell of any kind,[1] or one which reads the same forwards and backwards.[2] It can also be a witch's trick, or a sham.[3] It is possibly derived from the Gaelic canntaireachd, a piper's mnemonic chant.[4]

it's an at-will spell aka doesn't cost you spell slots to use.

I was hoping to be a reasonable, and extremely careful character. Maybe even to a fault. Always looking out for trouble, and not the most trusting. Maybe even paranoid, but not like insanity.

This is what I was looking for, thanks user.

Does a bow cleric work? Does a cleric lose out on any good spells it can use because it can't be up in the enemies face? I can only really think of Spirit Guardians

That's literally from the Wikipedia article, you stupid fuck.
This is why I hand spoonfeeding.

Fuck you for perpetuating this dumb shit.

Its fine, I guess. Its just that there's not really a reason to shoot something you can burn with Sacred Flame or Guiding Bolt.

Depends on the definition of works. By nature you'll start drowning when your cantrips hit level 5, but you still have no extra attack. Spellcasting is the most important part for a Cleric, as you can probably guess.

You're basically not given any reason to do so, but you can do it.

>too stupid to look up the word "cantrip" on Wikipedia
>lol u have autism xD

So don't use any of the other things and just the shadow port. For fuck sakes people this is how bloat happens make several class with the same thing because some just can't only use the parts they want.

That boost to initiative definitely makes it worth it.

Multiclassing was grandfathered for tradition's sake. Archetypes has been this entire edition's form of multiclassing.

Yes, some would say a requirement if feats are on the table.

Neat that changes nothing about my statement.

Do you suppose 5th edition will have it's own sci-fantasy setting to counter starfinder assuming it does somewhat well?

Actually it brings to light how superfluous multiclassing is, and using it as a way to shut down archetypes is reactionary, and stupid as it's not a properly designed alternative.

What optional rules from the DMG should have been standard instead of optional? My vote goes to proficiency dice.

No I'm arguing against archetypes solely for the sake of getting specific things already in a class, because it creates fuck tons of bloat with half, if not more, of the new class being useless so you'd want to multiclass out anyway or just a copy paste from others.

Yes archetypes create bloat, but it's balanced compared to multiclassing, so I don't see where your statement "half, if not more, of the new class being useless" comes from.

So far UA is free, and optional, so I can't see why making a rogue that can teleport is so much worse than non functional mutliclassing rules.

Here's some criticism because I think this is neat! And well put-together! But you need to make clear which effects happen at each level. Players can - and should - check it. But you're making content and want it to be as good as possible, so should do it for them.

Sense Arcana - Cool effect! First, flip the magical effect and the monster orders. It makes more sense (based on the name and feel of the whole build) to list them the other way around. Furthermore, it makes more sense to put the short one first. I'd also remove the full cover issue.

Arcane Ward and Warding Hand are listed as titles, but refer incorrectly to each other. I like the effect overall! It's unique and balanced and feels cool. You definitely need to rewrite it though, it took a lot of parsing on my part to figure out what you were saying.

Nova is fine.

Censor is fine.

Aura of Protection - we're too close to Paladin's now. Make it something different.

Aura of Discovery is awesome!

Improved Arcane Nova - see Aura of Protection.

Insulating touch is nice.

Academies!

Discovery:
Thirst shouldn't include perception.

Rapid Ritual is great.

Illusions is good.

Decentralization is a little too niche. Maybe give it an additional effect.

Enlightenment is amazing. I love it.

Protection!
Ward - I think, and this probably comes down to taste, that this should be temporary hit points. This isn't a cleric class.

Arcanist's wall is amazing.

Rapid Shielding - consider including an 'errata' style note that DM's may rule not to have it work with other halving effects - evasion, etc.

Bulwark - now this is a cool effect.

Barrier - the wording here doesn't follow how temporary hitpoints in 5e. It's also insanely strong. If I go 20 Con at this level I have, on average, 214.5HP. This puts me with 419? Maybe a little much.

Nullification!
Zone is too powerful this early in the game. This fucks a lot of DMs up and is probably un-fun.

Scar, aura, mind, entity are all great.

>New arcanas brought us a lot of archetypes, but some things are still missing. What do you want to see in the game?

Damage-focused arcane half-caster

EK and AT-like archetypes for druidic magic

Animal-themed nature-y monk

Aberration-based mutation-themed sorcerer

>assuming it does somewhat well
That's a pretty huge assumption considering how crap it looks so far.

Aside from it being made by paizo what do you dislike about it? I've been jumping back and forth between here and /pfg/ and I'll admit the one thing that has me interested is that it's a setting that actually does the sci-fantasy deal which is something I've always wanted . I mean, it follows the golarion setting which I don't particularly care for but it's slightly more then what wizards has given me thus far without making it myself.

Actually so far I think that 5e has handled new Archetypes pretty well in the UA, Off the top of my head the only subclasses I'd call worthless are 4 Elements Monk, Core Beastmaster and Purple Dragon Knight. Everything else has been at least decent.

Also so far the only OP as fuck things are Treachery Paladin, Lore Master and certain Mystic builds that are easily fixed by removing Nomadic Mind.

Looking it over we have 14 classes and 110 archetypes between them. Even if we go pretty strict about what's decent maybe 10 of those are crap or have nothing better then other options you could take. Honestly this edition is already nearly at bloated level with UA and so far it's pretty well balanced.

It's probably what you want to do as a Trickery domain. You can still use ranged attacks with a heavy armor domain too, if you want.

The weapon attack gets better than cantrips once divine strike comes online for the archetypes that get it and that should stay true until level 17 for a single-classed cleric with decent strength, dexterity, or access to shillelagh for melee builds.

>Balanced compared to multiclassing

Unless your playing with optimizing power gamers multiclassing isn't an issue.

>half, if not more, of the new class being useless" comes from.

As they try to come up with new ideas instead of just bolt parts from other classes together it creates lack luster content.

>rogue that can teleport is so much worse than non functional mutliclassing rules.

But the multiclassing is functional and it's only your opinion and experience that says otherwise.

Understandable my issue still is creating a whole archetype just to get one ability ment to make another unique.

Even without Sacred Flame's doing 2d8 damage on a save while Weapons are either doing 1d8+3 or 2d6+3 at level 5. Attack Rolls can get advantage and crit so honestly I'd say that weapon Clerics are better in consistent damage for most of the game but caster Clerics will have a higher wisdom for spells. So both are pretty good.

Of course Nature Cleric says fuck you to everyone with weapon attacks based off Wisdom, which makes up for the pretty shitty Spell list.

Shadow Dancers actually had quite a few unique abilities. From memory they could teleport in shadows, hide while in plain sight and I think they had some kind of shadow clone but I might be making that last one up.

Also Shadow Sorcerers already steal the Monk teleport except better.

Responding to the previous thread
No argument there on their similarities/differences but what is Waterdeeps Citywatch response if they were to come across imprisoned lawful evil creatures such as Grung, Bullywugs, or otherwise.

Do Bullywugs have Miranda Rights?

Has anyone run a 5e west marches game? What was it like/is it worth trying? If you don't know what that is,
arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

I want to make a Bugbear Rogue because it fits their fluff so well, issue is the obvious choice with their racial abilities is Assassin and all the disguise features don't work with the fact I'm 7 feet tall and hairy.

What should I fo?

Am I stupid if I don't get why there's a a perception skill when you're supposed to use passive perception for traps, stealths and stuff

Oath of Conquest, what is the verdict on it? I was thinking about making a Fallen Aasimar or a Goliath Conquest Paladin for a backup character.

Shadow monks do that except the clone, also missed the shadow sorcerer, personally I hope it doesn't stick. They should get something to actually help them, instead of just copy another class.

Overlord/10

Going to have to split this wall into two posts.

>Arcane Ward and Warding Hand are listed as titles, but refer incorrectly to each other. I like the effect overall! It's unique and balanced and feels cool. You definitely need to rewrite it though, it took a lot of parsing on my part to figure out what you were saying.

Thank you for giving your feedback. I consider all of it, even the stuff I defend since I see the issues there.
What do you mean by this part exactly? I copy pasted the wizard Arcane Ward for 90% of the wording, then changed a thing or two since it could now apply to someone other than yourself. I'm not opposed to changing it, but what parts are not referring correctly?

>Aura of Protection - we're too close to Paladin's now. Make it something different.
Not sure what to say. I basically left it as is despite that issue. When I was starting the main design goal was "It's the same, but anything divine has to go." so it ended up not changing along side Smite, and Improved Smite. I'll probably be making a variant that has larger changes that pull it further from Paladin even more.

>Discovery: Thirst shouldn't include perception.
It is odd, but I felt like it was an ability to guarantee you get to know, or see something you really want to be a part of no matter the roll you get. I'm considering removing it, and adding the archetype bound ritual support I wanted from the start.

>Decentralization is a little too niche. Maybe give it an additional effect.
Yeah. I basically didn't add more because it got wordy.

Perception skill is actively attempting to notice things off about the environment, while passive is just when your wandering around.

The assassin's disguise-related abilities are ribbons anyway. Even human assassins frequently go a whole campaign without ever using them.

Ok how do I build the Overlord

Yes, but ill explain it anyways. Active perception is for when you are actively looking for something. Like if you were chasing a bandit, and he hid in a room it would be an active perception check to look for him because you are ACTIVELY looking for where he is.

What if cantrips didn't scale

>Ward - I think, and this probably comes down to taste, that this should be temporary hit points. This isn't a cleric class.
I'd do that if I wanted to nerf them, which I might.

>Rapid Shielding - consider including an 'errata' style note that DM's may rule not to have it work with other halving effects - evasion, etc.
Initially it let you reduce the damage to 0 on a save, but it stepped on evasion's toes. I wouldn't personally add an additional clause.

>Barrier - the wording here doesn't follow how temporary hitpoints in 5e. It's also insanely strong. If I go 20 Con at this level I have, on average, 214.5HP. This puts me with 419? Maybe a little much.
What do you mean by this first part? It's worded as adding X+20 because you only take the highest temp HP offered. Other Paladin transformations give resistance to all damage. Doubling HP is a rarer ability than resistance, but you'd have to use Stoneskin to get weapon resistance. At the end of the day it's a level 20 ability, and the game is full of silly stuff like infinite transformation AKA healing Druids.

>Zone is too powerful this early in the game. This fucks a lot of DMs up and is probably un-fun.
I considered this. Was extremely close to giving it concentration. It's a double edged sword until you can manage it with your Aura, and then theoretically enemy casters can exclude their allies if they're somehow metagaming. I still think I'll add concentration.

Thank you for giving your feedback. I consider all of it, even the things I defend since I can see the issues there.

Oath of Conquest paladin 20. There, you did it. Character creation in 5e is not rocket science.

Butt then wouldn't players say "I actively search all the time"

Then warlocks would do this.

For when the character is actively searching.
Passive perception has two uses:
1. Less importantly, if your group are metagamey assholes, it makes sure they don't know what their result is
2. More importantly, it allows perception to occur without knowledge of the characters
Active searching is a time-consuming ability that you can't do "in the background." If you walk around actively searching, you move really slow.

Casters would have to sacrifice their combat damage to maintain utility
Whether or not that's good is up for debate

Passive perception is your result when you're not actively searching.

As an example, a DM would have you roll active perception when you say, "I look for traps". If they had someone sneak up on you, they would compare the sneakers stealth roll with your passive perception. That way a successful stealth attempt means the players are unaware of the sneaker, whereas asking everyone to roll perception tells everyone there's something to perceive (Or increases paranoia).

>Nomadic Mind is OP
This being a meme is ironic, isn't it?

Probably better outside of needing to fix Warlock. Cantrips aren't important, but emphasizing the resourceless DPR of martials is pretty much a good thing.

Ok, any glaring drawbacks? Anything that it's lacking that the other Oaths have a clear advantage over? It seems fine to me, but you guys seem to find the mistakes I don't.

No. It's good. Tying your fear into your attack is good economy. The downside? Other archetypes have their own things going for them, which basically isn't a downside.

I am all knowing...

Rangers get Rogues bonus action hide, Bards get Rogues Expertise, Valor Bar's steal Eldritch Knights cast and attack, Bards in general steal other classes spells, Paladin steals Clerics channel divinity, Paladins and Rangers steal Fighting Styles and so many more cases of this.

I get what you're saying and I agree that if they make a Shadowdancer it should have it's own abilities but sometimes there's more then class or archetype that can perform the same basic task and that's alright. Even if they do give it the Shadow-port it should be different to the Monks version while still being the same basic thing.

Any proficiency as a bonus action's retarded. At that point you've completely out done every skillmonkey in the game.

Mystic's issue is that it had no identity. It can be good at everything without losing anything. It needs at least 1 weak point it can't cover like other classes.

What are some good combinations with other PCs? I know battlemasters can create Frightemed condition easily, but not much else.

Any spellcaster with Fear.

The new level 1 Cause Fear spell is 1 minute of Disadvantage if they fail a save. No way to get rid of it once it's on. So that's a good one.

All the action options and background proficiencies.

Just posting it again because the discussion from last thread involved it.

This user here has been working on a homebrew of an arcane half caster class, to help fill in the gap missing (Ranger = nature-based half caster, Paladin = divine-based half caster).

Another user had done a port of the Duskblade class from 3.5 to 5th edition, which was a type of arcane half caster in 3.5, that focused more on DPS and less on tankiness, although they could eventually become a tank in their own right due to eventual training in heavy armor.

The person who did the port focused more on the DPS aspect and less on the tankiness, but probably gave the port a bit more oomph than is needed.

In any case, here's the port for your reading/perusal, to help aid in your work towards filling that gap in 5e class options right now.

Ok, thanks for the assessment! Like I said I was thinking of going Fallen Aasimar for the mechanical benefits, but Goliath is way more fitting. I'm kind of torn.

You might be familiar with this occurence:

>DM: Alright you all try to sneak past. Roll Stealth everyone.
>Aaron: 18.
>Brian: 23.
>Charles: 14.
>Derek:...6.
>DM: They hear Derek, and now know where all of you are.
>Aaron, Brian, Charles: Fuck you Derek.

One bad roll ruins the attempt for everyone. The inverse of this scenario is the DM having a someone sneak up on the party. If you have everyone roll perception (and sometimes everyone includes hirelings, animal companions and familiars) one high roll scuppers the sneak attempt. Instead normalising with passive perception makes it more likely for a sneak attempt to succeed.

>Aaron
Where does this group live in, Utah?

This picture is on page 13 of Princes of the Apocalypse. Anyone know what it depicts? There's no caption.

Vengeance Paladin gives fear on channel divinity, Archfey can choose fear for their level 1 AoE, Battlemaster can choose fear, that level 1 spell gives fear, and I know that Mystics have a truly imbalanced fear AoE, they also have a single target fear but the AoE is really imbalanced.

I'd wager it's Feathergale Spire, given the barren environment and the face that it's a tower-like structure.

I'm this close to adding passive stealth to my game. I'd rather just tell my expertise rogues "You're fine unless you smash a vase/leave a body/run into the BBEG Druid with one million perception.".

Nah, that's this one.

Possibly two different artist's renditions?

Strahd doesn't have a consistent portayal either. I mean, how do you go from this...

...to this?

When I ask for group Stealth checks, I have a mental DC in mind and have it be more-so a group skill check, so that if one person does fail but the rest succeed then the whole group succeeds, as they are able to react in time and get the guy who flubbed the roll to stop, re-compose themselves and get back on track.

I mean... possibly, but to be honest I don't buy it.

Looks pretty similar to me.

Thinking about it, I guess it could be Scarlet Moon Hall.

Definitely not...

Are you sure about that?

How do I deal with GMs that don't want to deal with an economy?

I don't mean this in a "I'm trying to break this fantasy world's gold system", I mean it as "You make the same amount of money as an unskilled laborer each day, and all profits you earn NOT from a quest go entirely to living expenses".

I should mention that we're in a West Marches campaign, but nearly everyone is at the same point.
Right now the party is 3rd level, going on 4th, and we've barely scraped together 200 gold apiece from looting every weapon we can get our hands on, because we get nothing otherwise.

To put it into perspective, we spent two in-game days hunting down wild gnolls that were raiding farmland and stealing animals. We received a marvelous 2 GP each for our valiant efforts.
I understand that some campaign worlds have lower amounts of gold, that's fine. The problem is that they adamantly refuse to lower the cost of anything to compensate, to the point of hilarity. It took us 6 sessions before we could afford to buy ONE person A horse.
Meanwhile, they nickle-and-dime us every time we need help from an NPC. Borrowing a boat for the afternoon to murder the raiders across the way? Better cough up 8 silver for lost wages. You want directions for the nearest bar? Yeaaah, that's gonna cost you.

Basically, what the fuck do I do here? I'm not sure how to tell the DMs that their situation is unreasonable, and that a party of adventurers that can literally heal diseases three times a day, tell the future with remarkable accuracy, and outfight two men each are making the same dosh as Urist McChucklefuck in the Mines of Sorrow.

Probably the difference between non-vampire Strahd in image 1 and vampire Strahd in image 2.

>no reflection in the mirror
how do you fuck up like that rofl

user, I...

>no reflection in mirror
>how do you fuck up like that rofl
Nigga, is you serious?

>Thinking vampires have reflections

user...