EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

All the Colors Edition

Previous Thread: NEWS

>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18
>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander
>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
How many colors do you prefer to play with in Commander?

most of my decks are 5, 1, or 0 colors. i make an exception if a certain commander seems really cool to me, but i really do like my decks to be either rainbow or monochromatic.

One or two colours is optimal. Three is slightly too janky for my tastes. I've never built a deck with more than that because I'm not rich.

0 to 3 color, 4 and 5 are for indecisive losers.

I currently have an Orzhov, Gruul, and Sultai deck. I love the flavor of the Ravnica guilds plus 2 color forces you to use interesting cards. The Sultai deck is just a goodstuff shitshow for when I want to be ""competitive"".
Not sure what I should build next. I need something janky that can play nice with newer players.

Two colors
or 5c
newly added 4c generals have been fun but limited in scope but I do play them a lot
only reason to play 3c or mono is if you have been brainwashed by the glow in the dark CIA niggers into thinking these combos are as smooth as the others
once you hit 4c you get to critical mass of multicolor ramp and tutor effects that 3c just doesnt have access to.
3c generals should be built around the general's effects if you are going to use them. I hate doing this so the only 3c deck I have is shattergang, a hold over from a thing my group does where they pick a general for you to build and you build it to about 60% power.

Don't really have an interest in monobrown or rainbow deck. My decks right now are 1 to 3.

put these in your talrand deck guy from last general

i like monobrown because it's like a deckbuilding constraint. sure, i could be playing sydri and have access to tutors and counterspells, but i'm instead playing karn and it makes games a lot more interesting and interactive

so the trick with this is to play as many lands as you need for all spells in your deck, then mill your lands/cards you dont need and then just keep topdecking spells?

That's some beautiful jank user.

go for a mana severance/charbelcher win, it'll be a blast

How many Masterpieces do you have in your decks, /edhg/?

I hate the new masterpieces

none. i take decks apart so frequently that i've never even bothered to foil one out. i haven't found that one deck that i don't get bored with yet.

None. I am a poorfag.

I've got a Godless Shrine and a Sculpting Steel.

That shit is fucking amazing in ghave

Every time I'm tempted to pick one up I'm just reminded of staples that I don't *need* but could get instead. Like why get a masterpiece sword of x and y that I already have when I could pick up something like a Doubling Season instead and be able to build a bunch of decks that I previously couldn't

Cloudstone Curio in Selvala because it's my favorite masterpiece art so far, and Smoldering Marsh in Minotaur Tribal.

Too bad the Gods and Invocations were so uninteresting, I would've loved to have a masterpiece as my commander.

How surprised are you going to be when Doubling Season is an Invocation in HoD?

I've cracked 4 masterpieces so far (Steam Vents, Mystic Gate, Horizon Canopy, Champion's Helm). I traded/sold all of them since I'm not a big fan of the ones I got.

>it'll be a blast
you cheeky unclefucker

pact of negation looked so damn hot in the case
sleeved it up
>tfw it looks like I put a card from another game in my deck as a proxie

i use blue eyes white dragon as a dragonlord ojutai proxy

In total I have around 30 masterpieces in my decks.

Depends on the art honestly. The invocation Force of Will looks like dogshit compared to the other versions, but something like the Mindtwist or Daze make me want to get them and throw them in a deck just for the art.

>tfw Daze playmat only available at SCG
>itll probably be 100$ outside of the event

>tfw your playmat is just plain black
I need to learn how to stop playing EDH like a peasant

Miku playmat.

I typically go two color. Mono-color tends to get too simple or linear and 3+-color gets a little too expensive on the manabase since I don't want to get fetches right now. It's not that I'm not interested in more than 2-color, I'm just waiting until I get better mana for it. I'm also not totally against mono-color of the deck is interesting enough

i've never owned a playmat

The madman.

I realize people are going to laugh at me because
>yugioh
But I really want to get a custom mat like this.

Im playing a Standard Cards only commander tournament in about a month. I've chosen Rashmi. I'm curious what are some good token creators in the colors, because I really want to abuse Cryptolith Rites and Paradox Engine (as well as Planar Bridge). Any ideas?

What is the point of a playmat? Your cards are already in sleeves. These things don't have a function at all. It's like buying flame stickers for your car. Except if you buy the playmat in plain black without a motive it doesn't even look cool and the flames are more useful.

Just this one in Queen Marchesa.

i use to play without playmats for a very long time, then I got one gifted. It just makes the cards slide better and you get a cool design you like, so its really up to you

the only reason I ever use a playmat is in a group that tends to encroach on your place

rogue refiner, those big value energy cards and also add aetherworks marvel

Why do I feel like any EDH deck without white in it is at a supreme disadvantage without access to Return to Dust, Swords, Sylvan Reclamation, etc?

Just feels like my blue black deck will NEVER be able to deal with shit the way my decks with even a splash of white can. Unless I just run fucktons of counterspells and never get to play anything because I'm constantly leaving mana open for their bullshit.

Fucking what do I do? Do I change my commander from Wrexial to like... Sens Triplets, just so I can have white for answers? I'm just so fucking sick of losing games simply because I don't have enchantment removal, seems like most casual games end because of powerful enchantments.

You destroy your sleeves, so you have to replace them regularly and end up spending more in the long run.
You don't drag dirt around with you on the sleeves with a mat under it, the dirt then eventually ends up inside the sleeves (and I assume you don't double sleeve, since you don't even have a mat).

Moving cards around is also far easier, less pressure needed to pick them up so you avoid bending, and you get to declare a space for your own cards on the table.

Also they look sweet. Playmats are great.

No shame.

I am also playing those. Big energy value cards being like Aethersquall Ancient, Aethrwind Basker, Confiscation Coup? I also have Emrakul and Kozelik (lol at buying Ulamog rn) in the deck. And As Foretold

It's literally just "look at my anime girls teehee I'm so cool for wasting money on nothing!!11!"

I play Kruphix with literally 0 removal problems. You just need to figure out what the good removal is in your colors. With Kruphix, I found that there are a decent number of G/U removal, but I needed to find a way to recur them as opposed to just having MORE.

yeah exactly like those. Get those and also get other "value" energy cards like servant of the conduit and energy producers in general. Also that blue/green tap for 2 colorless from amonkhet

youll want big pay offs too like the titans and gear hulks

>Acidic Slime+DEN
Feels good.

>Getting shit on your sleeves
>Shuffling that shit around

Yeah, nah. You can't trust every venue you play at to be impeccably clean.

The only time that bugs me is if they don't know the characters. A guy once had a playmat with the Ikkitousen cast showing hints of areola and he couldn't even name the series.

What the hell am I looking at? How does the archetype work?

yeah i have all of those. I also have the gearhulks and titans (again, sans Ulamog). I also want to grab a part the waterveil. I think the deck is good, but I just want to be able to do degenerate shit with Paradox Engine.

Where do you play that dirt is a problem? I play on normal wooden tables and never had problems with dirt.

U/B

and you dont have removal?

You have counterspells, creature removal, bounce, discard/wheels, graveyard recursion of both creatures and spells, cloning.

maybe add some 1cmc evasive creatures and make it a mini edric? I know about the slitherblade but im sure there are others

Infernities. They all basically have Hellbent, hence the jokes about hiding monsters in the spell/trap zones, and work by abusing extremely efficient graveyard recursion.

At a local game shop. They sell snack food, and people interchangeably put their bags on the tables or floor, so it's easy for bits of crumbs or things to end up on the tables.

pic related

I play at my LGS, I guess playing at home when you can clean off the table before starting would make a playmat less needed.

To deal with enchantments and artifacts? No, not really. I can kill all the creatures I want and still be fucking screwed, I can bounce all the enchantments I want and they can just play them again. I don't really WANT to load my deck with counterspells but I guess it's my only fucking option. Shit's bogus.

Looks damn good to me. Also got an invocation pact, it's so sexy.
I still run my original set foil pact in my pimpest deck though, since it spiked to $120 following the invocation print

It's like Hellbent - Tutors and Reanimators and Counters that only work with an empty hand. Plus Yugioh has an extra deck for your big fancy creatures, so you combo off that frequently, making it your second deck. The other part of the joke is that you can place your instants and sorceries face down, but if you've got creatures in your hand you just cheat and set them anyway.

Counter them.

Bounce, and then make them discard. Black has removal.

Not running enough? Spelltwine/steal effects from yoru opponents

That's GB though.

clumsy.
I wasnt paying attention. meant this

the pact just doesnt look enough like a magic card to me

Black borders would have fixed that.

Best inexpensive(Under $5) counterspells for EDH?

Counterspell

Counterspell.

how about rats of rath
>you never said which side of the board the artifact was on

swan song
negate
condescend
mana leak
arcane denial

Counterspell
Negate
Arcane Denial
Forbid if you draw a lot (which you probably do if you're in blue)
Guttural Response if you're a Gruulfag
Insidious Will and Rewind are both decent
Plasm Capture if you're in Simic colors

I fucking love Forbid + Land Tax.

It's so goddamn good.

>getting BTFO via swan song.

"At least you get a swan"

>mfw you swan song your opponents attempt at Return to Dusting your Humility + Moat

There are only about 10 counterspells that are really good with no support. If you have even a little support though (in the form of cost reducers) much more will start to become good. Having a Baral and jace's sanctum in play will make your opponents hate control forever.

Disdainful Stroke
Stubborn Denial

>Playing against a friend with a handful of counterspells
>Play a Demonic Tutor
>"Why would I counter your tutor? I'll just counter whatever you get with it."
>Search Cavern of Souls

Anyone else have good stories of times opponents made terrible mistakes?

Here's some C17 speculation based on popularity on EDHREC.

Very likely:
>Zombies, probably Esper considering Amonkhet's white zombie support, also allows for both Dimir and Orzhov alternate legendaries
>Goblins probably Rakdos but could get a Mardu commander based on the recent Mardu Ascendancy and Ponyback Brigade
>Elves could get Abzan or Sultai, at the very least Golgari to get some alternatives to Nath

Likely:
>Vampires need a Mardu commander because what's a vampire deck without Sorin?
>Spirits have a lot of support and there's even more spirit/arcane support but no playable commanders, either Esper for more conventional tribal or 5c for spirit/arcane synergy

Possible:
>Humans, Sigarda works but is not very interesting, could be Selesnya or possibly 5c (primarily white similar to Tazri)
>Merfolk are fine with Sygg, but they have enough tribal support that it's not unreasonable for them to get a new deck in Esper or Bant
>Snakes recently got Kaseto but it's possible for them to get a Sultai commander to squeeze in Hapatra, Pharika etc.
>Soldiers would be Boros if anything, only possible if WotC feel the need to fill a certain color quota among all four decks
>Clerics would be Orhzov for sure, they don't have a lot of support but the cards that do exist are very unique and in need of reprints, depends on whether WotC consider Ayli to be a success or a mistake

Unlikely:
>Dragons have Karrthus, Atarka, Bladewing and Scion and every color under the sun if they don't mind their commander being generic
>Slivers have enough support as-is and reprints of the must-have legendaries would shoot the expected value through the roof
>Wizards work fine with Azami, but they would also benefit a lot from reprints
>Allies and Eldrazi are both very self-contained within their two blocks and have Tazri and Titans respectively
>Angels don't have any tribal synergy whatsoever
>Elementals work fine with HoN and evoke

I doubt anything less popular than these will get a new deck.

>Elves could get Abzan or Sultai, at the very least Golgari to get some alternatives to Nath
They already have that in Rhys and Jarad.

>Angels don't have any tribal synergy whatsoever

Wouldn't this be the perfect time to introduce some?

Deck built around pic related, bouncing shit and then naming it to force discards

Too jank or a valid form of removal

you can only play the card if you can pronounce the name

I'd say it's a little too roundabout to be anything more than jank. It's a neat idea, but it potentially costs a lot of mana to remove even a single card.

>I doubt anything less popular than these will get a new deck.

To be honest, I'd kind of expect the exact opposite. I have my doubts they'd just double down on the already biggest, most supported tribes, because they've often used the Commander series to hit parts of design they felt were lacking, such as wedge legends, four color legends, and planeswalker commanders. I don't expect a Zombie deck, for instance, because it would be entirely unnecessary. There are more than enough ways to build Zombie tribal.

I'd be expecting to see them hit tribes that are popular with the players, but don't have a lot of EDH support. It could easily be something like Werewolves even.

It's really not that hard to pronounce.

i can't
is it pronounced:
ne'bu-CHAD-nez-nez?

Ne-bu-ku-nez-zar. Watch The Matrix.

>Werewolf Tribal with a proper Commander

Be still my heart, it's too soon to hope again.

Nebbuka-nezzar.

I've been meaning to run a Bant copy deck that runs all the creature copiers (Cackling Counterpart, Mimic Vat, etc) with Doubling/Parallel Lives/Anointed Procession to maximize the tokens and other blue copiers for flavor. All I need is to know what commander to run. There aren't many Bant-colored legends.

>inb4 Riku
I know about Riku but Riku can't run Anointed Procession and I like the white ETB creatures

>werewolf tribal deck, flagship commander is reprinted Ulrich.

"You'll take it, and you will like it."
-MTG R&D

okay got it:
nebbukaki my nezzer

I had almost the exact same thing happen. I needed to cast my aetherflux reservoir to win, but I knew my opponent had a counterspell.

So I demonic tutor'd, he said the same thing, and I searched for overwhelming denial. Felt pretty good.

Stop user, I can only get so erect.

Are you running creatures that ETB as a copy of another creature?
>yes, then run roon.

Other then that, i guess the dragon for lifegain off of permanents?

Why do you say things that you know will hurt me?

Man that is one fat goblin

I'd say either Roon or Derevi. Roon for abusing ETBs with his flicker and Derevi for being annoying by copying him and tapping down everything.