/cyoag/ - CYOA General

Previous thread: Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

Why is magic in cyoas always stronger than muscles?

Probably Monty Cook is ghost-writing most of them.

probably because its m a g i c

Because bending reality with magic is ok but somehow grabbing a mountain And smash someone with it is too "unrealistic" so Wizards can be gods but Martials are stuck as strong people

Because when it's not user just pretends it is anyway

I remember it being distinctly worse than muscles in Eternal's Rising due to Void making you immune to clerical and magical abilities at the expense of sparkling everywhere.

Latest version of HoMM III CYOA. After a lot of experimenting I've started to understand how the layout.css works. Nothing new in terms of content but a major overhaul in layout for that HoMM a e s t h e t i c. Gonna take a break for couple days, then I'm going to start working on scenarios, appearance and units. Feel free to try out, critique or repost in the mean time.

Because muscle wizard is a old worn out meme.

So, I'm planning to try my hand at making some OC. What's a decent image page for one page of a multi-part CYOA? If it matters, I'm using Paint.

Old Men in Bath Robes controlling everything was a worn out meme when Europe discarded it after the Romans.

Blame it as much on the DnD fans as the devs. The fans often throw fits and whine about anime whenever someone suggests martials get larger than life abilities like that.

>Europe
>trades old men in toga with old men in collars and vestments

kek

>Whining about anime while flying and killing everything with beams of death
Are they retarded?

Oh the wizard players aren't the one whining about it. It's the martial players themselves. They want to be 'badass normals' in a high fantasy setting.

What.

They are retarded, user.

>Being a badass in a fantasy setting is completely counter to the lore and setting
>But raining meteors down and summoning demons is perfectly acceptable, it's just like what Gandalf did in lord of the Rings

Nothing is wrong with being a badass. The stupid part is insisting that you be a completely normal soldierman yet somehow fight equivalently with those people raining down meteors. No extra powers or abilities, no super-human feats of strength. Just soldiermanning like normal.

It's not always. I can say this because I always prefer wizards and I also like to optimize and sometimes I can't do both and it's frustrating.

They went from Bath Robes to FANCY Robes, user.
It's that layer of class that matters.

Alrighty then.
>world
Nobledark seems the most balanced in challenge and fairness. Living in a world that both needs adventurers and has a precedent for them sounds great. Knowing that I could change things is important, the others seem kind of futile.
>inherent power
Skill thief, absolutely. Take a risk, roll the dice and see what you get. The potential for growth is infinite and I could end up with powers similar to the others if I'm lucky. Might be a good source of income too, if I end up killing a bunch of oral hygienists or something.
>birthright
Marked hero gives the most freedom and provides a system of support should I need it. I could do the JRPG thing of walking into people's houses and breaking all of their pots.
>armor
Shifting rag. Makes it possible to hide from corrupt governments and pursuers should I need to, and makes certain that I'll only stand out when I want to. Could actually be overpowered if used correctly. Combines nicely with skill thief.
>weapon
Kriscarn. Concealable, boosts your mobility and can't be disarmed? I see no downside here. Maybe not as flashy as a big magic sword but the potential for *teleports behind u* and other speedy shenanigans is too strong.
Wait, I get two?
I already know how to use a bow, so Eurytus for sure. Has the benefit of being indistinct so it won't give me away while I'm in disguise. It also retains its effectiveness if I use shitty arrows. Maybe not the best for sneaky kills though, what with all the screaming and gurgling.
>mentor
Theodore will likely make me live longer. I don't know how this world's dungeons and monsters and shit work. Dying because you stepped on the wrong pile of dog shit is for jobbers.
>companions
The Aegis seems like a reliable warrior tank bro and Micaela sounds like fun to have around. Now we're a balanced and versatile party.
>mount
Cliff jackal seems sturdy, good for the long haul.
>starting location
Main bazaar offers the most freedom to start, I can go anywhere after.

Magic makes more sense because it's fucking magic, not brawn.

In most cases, swords will never match sorcery.
And it's completely logical to conclude so, even if it's entirely fictional and fantastical.

Which cyoas are angsty but not edgy?

Still could use an answer, whenever people are done arguing about DnD stuff in a CYOA thread.

The thing that really pisses me off about that is that mythological heroes are absolutely anime-tier. It's just like all those gritty, dark reboots where everyone wears brown and black. People in the past had shitty lives and they knew it, so they acted flamboyant and colorful and told stories about everything being fucking amazing, because that's fun.

This is when you include Ki or Chi or whatever in your setting and let martial artists roundhouse kick an elephant.

Do you mean like depressing?

>Roman emperors didn't have class
What the fuck am I reading.

I agree with you, definitely. Look into Cuchulain or something and his freakish fighting powers, his ability to literally flip out and turn into a monster, and the fact that his spear had magic heart-seeking powers. Cuchu wasn't just some mundane dude stabbing at you with a +1 spear.

>Ki
>Chi

Still makes more sense than supermen soldiers.
Of course nothing will ever beat the stereotypical wizard, cuz memes and magic.

Because after a certain point, muscles also become magic.
The guy who is destroying mountains with his fists is most likely just as magical as the one who does it with his mind.

Magic SHOULD be stronger than muscles.

Sorry.

That's too broad of an assumption.

Talking that kind of shit gets you punched across dimensions

no, they become mythological power, or divinity.

muscles that can punch mountains have nothing to do with spellcasting.

>mythological power, or divinity.
So magic.

Spellcasting is just one type of magic.

This image is finally relevant.

>paint
Don't bother. Use Photoshop or at the very least GIMP.

Also the question is way too broad for an answer. "What's a decent image page". I don't get it, but there are plenty of examples to look at.

If we all agreed on one cyoa and focused our autism, could we then make it real? Which cyoa should we pick?

Don't try to enforce labels on fiction as a whole.

It depends on the setting and the author.

Munchkin McBroken

Scenario
>Golden Age
Path
>Villain
Origin
>Drop-in
Civilian Identity
>No Identity
Costume
>Budget
Skills
>Hacking
>Investigation
Shard
>Foreign Element
Perks
>Second Trigger x2
>Blindspot
>Negentropy
Flaws
>Case 53 x3
Gifts
>Payoff
Powers
>Mirror Image (ST)
>Power Fluctuation
>Kingmaker (ST)
Path Specific
>Other
Perks
>N/A
Flaws
>Kill Order

So, with Kingmaker x4 from chainbuffs I can have every non-Trump power of this list. And with Shard Administration builds I can finally take second step on my Path to Power: Final Form (Power-Mimic). Assuming this works as intended, I basically win this CYOA.

Are there any worthy opponents?

No, that's inauthentic. Traditional larger-than-life abilities != spellcasting. The former is natural, the latter is supernatural.

the stored autism in Traveller will give us a big advantage.

They wore armor half the time, user; their ceremonial outfits was armor, and they were expected to appear in public wearing at least a breast piece.
Not old men in bath robes.

warriors < wizards
brawn < magic
fists < fireballs
sword < sorcery

>all magic is spellcasting
>impossible powers are not supernatural

>Nobledark
A lovely mix.
>Skill Thief.
Oh hell yes. With the life I plan to lead, I'll end up with a lot of skills, oh yes.
>Marked Hero
The one with the least responsibility. I don't really wanna be evil.
>Shifting Rag
I'd mostly use it to look as lovely as I like. Could get some laughs from pretending to be an enemy in their ranks and then causing havoc.
>Kriscarn and Kodring
Once I've mastered Kodring, I'll have a set of daggers slashing at my enemy from all directions, while Kriscarn will launch me around to do the same. Speed and overwhelming the enemy is the name of the game, here.
>Witch Allyn
Add some crystal sorcery to that. Maybe some crystal shards to go with the above to overwhelm enemies even more? Or just huge cones of it to deal with swarms.
>Actora & Micaela
Arctora will bring some muscle, and Micaela some magic. Micaela teaching me how to extend my life would be appreciated, too.
>Cliff Jackal
Most reliable. Also the cackling is cute, even if the skull isn't.
>Main Bazaar
Most freedom. I plan to start up a mercenary group and head around, dealing with monsters and bandits and everything inbetween. Skill Thief will end up giving me a wealth of abilities from the diverse amount of enemies I'll fight.

Do you really want to make that CYOA real? They people in it are just a step or two away from letting the Elder Gods in our universe again.

Powers that exist are not impossible. If of the mortal (or divine, or preternatural) spheres OTOH, they are not sorcery, by definition.

Crack open a mythology textbook user.

>magic is only sorcery
>divine is not supernatural
wew

Just ignore him, he's probably pissed that a wizard shoved a magic missile up his pee pee.

Or he just hates that magic is always better than muscles.

Stop posting this.

Why?

Because it is shit. Now stop posting it every thread we're tired of seeing it.

>we
I'm pretty sure that's just you user. I don't think I saw it in the last few threads either.

>we
No.
>it is shit
No.

>Not wanting to be a anime girl with a gun and steal banks with flatty

Gestation - 15, 15
Hero
Insert Female Adult
Bodysuit - 14, 15 (Powers don't really need anything special)

Skills:
Martial Arts - 10, 15
First Aid - 7, 15
Strategy - 2, 15
Tactics - -2, 15
Parkour - -4, 15
Banter - -5, 15

Abaddon - -8, 12

Perks and Flaws
Rough Start 3 - -2, 12
Case 53 1 - -2, 13
Worst Day Ever 3 - 4, 16
Identity Reveal - 7, 16
Slaughterhouse 9 - 11, 18
Endbringer Target - 14, 22
Humble Beginnings - 19, 27
Negentropy - 14, 22
Second Trigger 2 - 6, 16
Power Slot - 6, 15

Powers
Regeneration (Second Trigger) - 6, 5
Razor Hands (Second Trigger) - 6, 3
Peak Condition - 6, 2
Power Sight - 6, 1

Protectorate
Fan Club

Points left over, so
Stealth - 3, 1
Investigation - 1, 1
Plot Convenience - 0, 1

Payoff as Gift

I'm here. Dunno if I'd be a worthy opponent though - my plans to fight you are either sneak attack or waiting for you to die of old age. Or waiting for your fellow villains to kill you because your have a kill order on your head. Shit, even your own empowered underlings might have a swing at you once they've got powers from you. Posting my followers too.

Not him but it has been posted pretty contstantly. Not that it should matter, it's a single image you don't have to read every time it's posted. It's just a weakness of written comedy; it's never as good as the first time you read it.

I think the RWBY CYOA actually gets posted every thread though.

>Are they retarded?
do you know where you are?
autism of this magnitude is unfortunately not contained to /cyoag/ or Veeky Forums even

so the answer is "DUHHH"

Sidekick Number One
Gestation- 15, 15
Hero
Insert Female Senior
No Identity (Full-time Protectorate) - 17, 15

Costume - Armour - 12, 15

Skills
Mechanics - 10, 15
Hacking - 9, 15

Dead Shard - 9, 18

Second Trigger 2 - 1, 12

Powers
Armoured Warfare
Fortifications

Protectorate
Team Leader

I would kill for the ability to enjoy everything like it was the first time

Fuck Yeah Man, I'll be a real Cowboy.

> Companions
Flatty Mcworthless. I know a lolicon with a lot of money who would like this, could make a lot of cash real quick to introduce them.

Weird Icecream Seller. The waifu and long running quest option; I will get her to talk eventually, in the meantime, I'll call her Whis.

> Item
Egy-
> Jewish
The Bird. I'll take the other long running quest option.

Sidekick number 2
Gestation
Hero
Insert Female Teenager
High Schooler

Cape - 13, 15

Parkour - 11, 15
Banter - 10, 15

Natural Trigger - 13, 15

Second Trigger 2 - 5, 9

Powers
X-Ray Vision - 5, 8
Temporal Blast - 5, 1

The Wards
Fan Club

>not wanting to fuck flatty all night and day while making fun of her no-tits.

Her no-tits are a gift to this world they are a symbol of JUSTICE

But you can have the purest love.

>Nah, it's cool
>Flatty McWorthless
>Weird icecream seller
>Tactical minigirls

Objectively the best build.

Do cyoas ever make you feel inadequate?

Unless i am playing CYOAs and someone is looking no

Certainly not!

Yes, seeing the kind of girls anons like has confirmed that I will never ever be able to get a decent guy irl. I can't wait until 2D becomes real and I can marry one of my cyoa husbandos instead.

Yes, everyday.

post tits with imestamp and i'll hit u up baby girl

Here is some OC, my first ever CYOA. I hope you guys like it and thanks for all the adventures.

Waiting is not enough we need to prepare a long and costly ritual in a specific place and then 2D can be real

Sorry, only my husbando will see my tits on our wedding night.

Is it just the generally idealized nature of 2D waifus that gets you down, or is it a specific thing anons seem to like (cowtits, slavishly devoted women)?

>Shaping the Past

Let's not have become a NEET.

I don't understand what anchoring this moment is exactly

Thats kind of why wrote this, every option is a way out of NEEThood.

Everything. Why and how could I ever be with a guy if I know that secretly he just wants a cowtitted cyoa imouto to bully him with her horse cock? Hyperboles and cuck memes aside, let's all stick to 2D.

Shaping the past

There are some people I've hurt, and I would do anything to have prevented that

GLORIOUS MEN

WAIT!!

I just noticed the memory death part. Screw that.

I'll take Program the Present. Inferior but no memory death.

Silly girl, you can't get a husbando without showing him your tits first.

Magic itself is already extremely broad, as it can include everything from kabbalah to chinese taoists. Which most likely(but not always) is linked to the religion of the place.

Though of course that not every larger than life ability is magic. An action hero like Rambo is skilled to superhuman points however that isn't 'magic'. I think that a fair line should be around the mythological heroes.

Of course that everything that I wrote is all pointless because it literally depends on the setting.

>titlet using false advertising spotted

Put simply you gain access to all three powers, but only for a period of two years (one year before you met Rhopalocera and one year after. They are generally safer, more efficient, and more focused.

Opps posted it twice.

Memory death was necessary, because otherwise you are like two people in one body, your new self would have all sorts of regret and bad habits.

Has Pokemon Personified came out yet?

I will choose searching the future then i will go small with it and fill the blanks myself so my head wont explode

SOON another 6 months at least

The collective autism will nuke this place so bad w'll never recover.

First off, thanks for liking it!

Second off, fucked up the wording on meditation. Meant to say Meditation's Tier 1 could be used while moving, for a stealth build. Must say though, I like your way of thinking.

Only because autists will insist applying human concepts like cuckolding to a setting that is inhabited by pokemon. Different species, different values.

I'm still waiting for the option to drop the personifications so I can be and fuck actual pokemon.

Wise, in some ways its the most powerful of the powers, but you have to be really skillful with it. You also have to being willing to accept your current situation and who you are currently.