EDH/Commander General

"Heartless" Edition

Previous Thread: NEWS

>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
What are some of your heartless plays?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/damia-queen-of-the-library/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Thread question
Making this thread

Most degenerate UGx commander?

Hey guys! What do you think of my custom commander, which was recently allowed in my group?
I hope it's not too strong of a card!

As much as I like Glorybringer as a card, I really wish we could get some more EDH playable dragons. Balance them as bombs in limited, okay in Standard, and great for EDH.

>reanimating thunderblust with feldon
Does this do what I think it does? I had warstorm surge and where ancients tread out, so my buddy was less than happy, but I want to make sure I didn't gyp him.

Thrasios, no other colors needed.

This is now a terrible custom cards thread.

It doesn't. Feldon creates tokens, doesn't actually reanimate

Kill yourself, thanks.

>What are some of your heartless plays?
Recently, I won a game with Kamahl, Fist of Krosa when I used a Primal Command on turn 3 against an opponent's Chromatic Lantern and shuffled it into their deck. He was stuck on three mana with Kaalia and had a hand full of fat. Took him off mana long enough to sweep the table (other guy was on a meme deck that isn't any good, fun though).

Yes, but will the token have persist, or does it stop existing when it hits the yard? No 6/1 fuck dragon at the end of my turn?

>Tokens can gain persist, and the ability will trigger if a token is put into a graveyard. However, like all tokens, it can't return to the battlefield and will cease to exist as a state-based action before the ability would go on the stack.

This is terrible. He clearly should be named "Godfoe".

Well shit, and I thought I was pulling some spicy plays. Guess I'll go apologize, I hit him for a stupid amount of damage to pull the win out of my ass too.

Token will have persist, but will cease to exist before the persist trigger is put into stack. Tokens can't exist outside the battlefield and will cease to exist first time state-based actions are checked whenever they move zones, whether it's graveyard, library or hand or what else there is.
>being this mad

Which of these two would be best for a voltron deck?
Akiri, Line-Slinger and Tana, the Bloodsower
Gaddock Teeg

>Gaddock Teeg voltron
What the fuck am I reading?

What, are you gonna buff him through sub 4 mana auras? Sub-4 equips?

>Gaddock Teeg Voltron
u wot

Sometimes I wish PW could be Commanders.

Am I dumb? Would it ruin the format?

Yes to both

The gaps in Bolas's wings looked like tits from the thumbnail for a moment.

No, EDH is a wish fulfillment format. And yes, because they're impossible to balance around.

>what is C14

Akiri and Tana it is then

>doubling season now costs $1000

What do I build with this dude?

my play group house ruled planeswalkers are allowed to be commanders, its pretty cool honestly. the only problem is emblems cant be removed and if you play right you will guarantee ult it eventually

i still dont understand why they didnt reprint doubling season in the last MM

Vorthos tribal

I can see it.

>Dovin Baan Stax
>Tamiyo Combo
>Venser Stax
Sounds awful.

It's really degenerate, and will only get more degenerate as wizards prints more planeswalkers. Dollars to donuts they'll pretend it doesn't exist so they can forget about balancing around it.

Surely multiple instances of annihilator stack.

How would lifelink work on a creature like this?

>deals damage

I was thinking of just doing Grixis Control/politics in the flavor of Nicol Bolas' dickish manipulative nature.

The thing is it just kind of comes off as a Jevela deck without Jevela. The flavor is spot on though.

they do

>whiter and trample
>on a card with protection from everything
For what purpose?

What the fuck does Tsundere do?

Not if I stop you!

It can only attack if it was just going to attack anyway, not because you told it to. Don't act like it's doing you a favor or anything, it doesn't even like guys like you.

>It's like Lightning Helix! Except it's shit!

found the other half to this guy

good

its really not. flipping over a PW commander put a HUGE target on your back 90% of the time

Does your play group use the french/duel banlist? If so, how has it affected your games? I want to know if it's better or worse than the normal banlist.

i play french rules on some decks. it's bled over into multiplayer because games seem better that way. we often play no cmd damage 30 life or 20 life, and you'll get dirty looks for playing some stuff like sol ring and mana crypt/vault

What if everyone plays a planeswalker? Then who do you target?

That sounds legitimately terrible user.

I like the duel list because I don't like fast mana cards (which I define as producing more mana than they cost e.g. sol ring, mana crypt, grim monolith). However, we use the regular banlist, and convincing an entire store of people to change their decks for a different ban list would be a huge task.

Guy from previous thread that was wanting to get the Yidris precon

Drove around for two hours going to every walmart, gamestop, barnes and noble, target and toys r us in the Raleigh NC area, and I found every 2016 commander precon except Yidris. Leaving early tomorrow morning to try again further out.

>instead of coming to an agreement with my playgroup we're just passive aggressive
Jesus Christ how horrifying.

You gain half of everyone's life. Wanna know how infect works?

Haven't you already paid more than $10 in gas that could've been used for the shipping cost?

Should have grabbed one or two Atraxa to resell.

Did you buy a few Atraxa precons to recoup some costs then?

I don't really have any irl magic friends to sell to and I don't feel like mailing shit to people. I assume I would have a hard time breaking even through selling to the LGS? Maybe I assumed wrong.

Even if you sell the singles at below market cost you'll still get a bit of profit out of it.

go to gametheory, they have them on the shelf right now

Right on I may go back and get them tomorrow morning, thanks

Toss them up on eBay for $60-$70, make bank. I've only seen one Atraxa, and gave it to a friend for market price. Had I seen more I'd have bought and resold them for sure. All my local big box stores have is like 4 Hug Kings, a Saskia or two, and a single Breya.

also i live right by gametheory, if you come on by my place ill suck your dick

>4 player game on MODO piloting toshi
>opponents are hidetsugu player, talrand player, and tymna/ludevic pillowfort monstrosity
>talrand player rage quits when I hero's downfall his talrand in response to boots
>hidetsugu player, A, gets his commander killed twice and durdles for 8 turns
>enchantress player, B, drops turn one remora and gets it back out of the yard after some nice ramp allowing him to set up a tax rate of something like 9 mana to attack each turn
>board is stalled because player B won't play threats and I can't destroy enchantments in monoblack
>player A gets his 9th mountain and drops hidetsugu
>player B is explaining that he'll be in much better shape after a hidetsugu activation than A will be
>I give him the needed nudge and remind him he has no other play for the foreseeable future.
>A activates hidetsugu and I hit him with tainted strike
>B calls me a nigger loving faggot and rage quits

Loving every laugh.

It's so great. You still get to do stupid shit in decks that doesn't happen in other constructed formats, but the game still feels somewhat competitive.
There's a lot of passive aggressiveness, but I enjoy it.
I like the lower life total more than banlist changes, not that the multiplayer banlist isn't trash, because it feels like aggro isn't limited to voltron as much.

been a while since i posted in edhg
still playing shitty Damia discard shenanigans though i added some better control elements
Food Chain is in there for the combo as well as for those times when i end up with mountains of tokens and want to power out Sisters or Myojin
it runs pretty well at the moment but there's always room for improvement
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/damia-queen-of-the-library/

Sounds like a good format for quick commander games, but that's not why I play.

How do you gauge your spending in your meta? Do you choose not to spend too much more than enemy decks to keep it competitive?

instead of a blowjob can I just have an arcbound ravager?

How many board wipes should a control deck have?

We don't have a hard limit, but when people have decks around ~1000 dollars or so we start to ask them to tone it down. The real problem is that while dollar value is a rough estimate of a deck's power, it's not exactly one to one.

Somewhere between 2 and 99

Who's your commander?

Nicol Bolas so there's no synergy, the deck is super light on creatures

What kills your shit the most?

If you were to build a deck specifically around not being set back as much by whatever the answer to the above question is, how would you go about doing it?

I run 5. Only reason I don't have more is because my others cost way too much.

>Nicol Bolas so there's no synergy

Well, there is one synergy: Crux of Fate.

Ah yes, I am running that

By diverting resources from things that are good at safeguarding my decks against things that are not good against it due to those resources.

My group money gouges, generally not to be competitive to pimp decks or to just make their deck more streamlined i.e. Gaea's Cradle in a Rosheen Meanderer deck.

Won't spend more than $20 on a card, and I rarely spend more than $100 in single go, and I rarely spend money on singles, like every 3-4 months?

>The real problem is that while dollar value is a rough estimate of a deck's power, it's not exactly one to one.

Very true. I use money as a base specifically because of that. Generally more expensive decks are more powerful.

I like to pimp out my Johnny decks with extremely expensive, powerful cards but I'm careful not to tread into infinite combo/infinite lockdown Spike territory

>infinite combos
>spike
You're mixing them up user.

You could also go the Recoil route and do "board wipes" with mass Unsummon effects and then knock them out of their hands with Bolas.

Slamming the door in Bryan's face

I jest it was probably going all out on another player because got mana flooded and the game lasted another hour and half before I won I'm sorry Noel but I felt like you needed to know how others in our group feel

Spike is all about infinite combos if they're reliable and efficient. There's a difference between a deck that is incidentally capable of comboing off and a "combo deck".

I consider tryhard infinite and lockdown to be Spike in EDH as its the fastest most degenerate way to win while making everybody playing against you feel bad.

Like playing against a Grenzo deck that has a dozen ways to go infinite on like T4

infinite combo/lockdown (usually) = instant win (or ridiculous nearly undefeatable position
and both of those are just what spike wants

Need input. I want to make an elf deck. Should I Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, or Emmara Tandris?

Cheated out an early Mycosynth Lattice in Daretti and had enough mana to Vandalblast.

Neither. Rhys is a better elfball commander in either of those colors.

Nevermored an opponent's General and Mind Twisted him so he would literally have to sit there and do nothing for long periods of time. Then Mind Shattered him when he got back on his feet.

Yeah fuck that guy who ruined our playgroup by spending a shitload on his deck and completely taking over one game after another. We used to have fun but his version of fun was winning by throwing money at the problem. Now we rarely get together to play because no one enjoys his horseshit.

>Playing Kamahl, Fist of Krosa.
>There's a Jenara next to me who I'm bros with, the new group hug precon, and a faggy Atraxa Superfriends.
>The Superfriends player keeps saying "Once he gets Doubling Season, you're all fucked!"
>Get annoyed by this, and am planning of murdering him first.
>Jenara slams down Elesh Norn and kills most creatures, except for Kamahl, and kills the Superfriends player's Elspeth.
>The superfriends player complains about losing his tokens and only planeswalker and insists that we're all dead once Doubling Season hits field.
>My turn comes around, I look at him across the table and ask "How many lands do you have?"
>"Eight? Why?"
>"I'm going to pay eight at make your lands into 1/1s."
>"Uhhh? Okay, thanks?"
>I point at Elesh Norn, and he just looks back at me with sadness in his eyes.
>"Oh. Okay then..."
>Every time he gets a land drop, I destroy it this way.
>He scoops and storms out of the store.
>Mfw

He deserved it for playing Superfriends.

I mean they're distinctly Johnny interactions but I suppose you can define a playstyle notable for its desire to win by playing above trash-tier decks in a causal meta.

To me a Spike plays decks that win, like Food Chain Tazri and Storm.

You're a fucking moron. FCT is an infinite combo. You know what else wins? FCP, another infinite combo. CVT, another infinite combo. Go eat an ass.