Game group drama

Have you had any problems with your game group? I had to kick someone out recently. Didn't feel good, but was necessary. What are you tales of game group drama? Stories of related issues welcome.

Dude kept giving bullshit reasons for not showing up, when he eventually gave 3 different answers to 3 different people in the group we just kicked him.

My groups just fall apart after ten sessions because of schedule clashes and shit. Never for any exciting reasons.

I'm going avoid giving too much detail because I know for a fact this person I am writing about, who shall remain nameless and genderless, browses Veeky Forums.

My current group are mostly friends, we hang out a lot and play vidya but have not really done any RPGing together for a while. This is largely due to the actions of a particular group member whom I shall refer to as M. M has a habit of joining RPG campaigns and being extremely disruptive. M will attempt to monopolize the DM's attention, dictate to the DM how he/she should run their game, introduce house rules that specifically benefit M's build at the expense of everyone else, try to dictate to other players how to run their characters and generally try to make the entire thing about M. When M does not get their way, M will respond by be pouting, sulking and trying to sabotage the campaign. I have seen this firsthand and other group members have confided in me that M has done the same things in their games.

I planned to start a new RPG campaign that I knew M would be interested in. However, wanting to be the adult in the room and nip this problem in the bud, I sat down with M and told M face to face that I thought it would be best if M sat the game out. I was diplomatic about it and explained my reasons. M seemed to be calm, but no sooner than the discussion was finished I learned that M had contacted all of our other group members to bitch about what a horrible person I was for doing this.

In the end, the drama got so bad that I was politely asked to refrain from discussing my campaign in our favorite hang out spot.

How did you do it? and how did he take it?

God damn. What a prick.

Why do you guys even hang out with him then?

Its a girl
That is why he specified genderless.

Because of Geek Social Fallacies 1-3.

Basically a lot of us are really sick of dealing with M, but about half the group still thinks that, as bad as M can be, trying to ostracize them would make us worse. Honestly, we'd rather avoid the drama shitstorm and civil war that would inevitability ensue.

Oh, I've dealt with one of those, for far too long due to them being a long time friend. Here are some examples I had to put up with:
He consistently waited until after the game started to tell me that he was busy...if he truly was. Even with his job, I had several windows of opportunity to run the game, yet he refused to discuss any plans.

If it wasn't that, he put the game I was running on the backburner so he could play the FF15 Japanese demo and the game on release. Not to mention that he had consistently had

Even when I had ran solo session for his character to be doing something while the actual game was going on and he could catch up, he complained that a session I had less than a fucking day to think up went "Too fast" despite being split into two separate sessions even.

He got really defensive before finally apologizing and he finally admitted he missed way too much of the game to even play anymore. Of course the campaign was fucking trashed and I had plenty to blame for it, but with some of the players I had to deal with didn't help.

Ech I have a player that joined campaign late, skipped number of games(show up for two games, skip next two, show up for one etc). He announced he will come for next one so I make some stuff to have him catch up and tell him what he missed. He comes and announces that he won't be able to play until july.

Did you ask your group why they thought ostracizing M would make things worse?

It sounds pretty bad already, if M is unwilling to cooperate with the rest of you in a game, much less in real life, then how exactly can things get worse? Will M attack you all physically? If so, M really isn't a friend of any of you- at least not anymore.

Every group I have been in an far has fractured at one point due to everyone starting to hate eachother. Though one player ive been with has stuck with me for the 4ish years of games I've had since finding my original group.

Our current group is talking less and less now, and I fear another split is upon us.

Two of our players grew up together playing at the local game shop, which had a shitty That DM owner who got his kicks by beating little kids at his games.

As a result, these two are pretty hardcore the rules in a super spergy way. Between their memory, 3.5 being complicated, and house rules they are most of the time wrong about what they're arguing, but we every often will have ten or twenty minute rule lookups in order to determine what is by and large useless and trivial shit. No one gives a shit and every time someone tries to say that we don't need to spend the time checking the books to see if shouting loudly is a constitution check they ignore it and then interrupt minutes later to stop the game and read the rules out

Other then him there's 7 people in the group, we had a group vote and 3 people wanted him out, 2 people wanted to give him another chance, the other 2 were undecided. I convinced them by saying "He'll just keep doing it if we give him another chance."

I didn't really see him outside the group anyway but I'm gonna assume he's avoiding the people in the group cause he's like that.

Yeah he's pretty much the same
I can understand when he tells me a week before he can't come cause he's gotta work and the group is too fuckhuge to reschedule, but when you tell another group member a few hours before the session that you can't come because you 'lost your wallet' then it's a bit much.

>Ban all women
>Drama-b-gone
Prove me wrong

You sexist pigs.

There are plenty of fucking manbabies who get butthurt and their fragile little egos crushed at the drop of a hat. THAT GUY threads are fucking chock full of them.

So, you're wrong.

Pigs are cute though. My dream is to adopt a piglet runt and raise him until he's a big, ugly, fat, wrinkly swine that fucks sows left and right.

I've had a few players over the years that have had specific scheduling requirements and then never showed up for the games at those times. I've had one whose inculsion meant the DM stopped giving out RP experience because he'd just give it to himself if he knew anyone else was getting some.

And I had a player who played a Kender.
Nevermind that I took the DM aside and explained everything I knew about Kender so the DM said "no Kender."
He played a Kender and called it a Halfling.

Challenge accepted.

Read your average THAT GUY thread and see all the drama caused by attention-whoring manbabies.

No other rebuttal is necessary.

The worst drama group I've been in was an all-male group.
The only time drama has happened in a group in which a girl was involved was when a GM in a campaign my GF was playing but I wasn't texted me that he had raped her.
Completely out of context.

It turned out her character had basically gone in completely alone into a den of slavers, well aware she had no rights, had no defense and they were in the worst kind of town. No one was surprised at the outcome and it was handled tastefully during the game.

But the GM was a fucking idiot for sending me that text. It was drama for less than 2 days. I found out what had happened, but the GF explained it to me and the GM allowed me one free punch for that fuck-up.

We're good friends now. Shit gets solved if people accept "Let me do this and I will forgive you".

It's not that ostracizing M would make things, worse. That's not the Geek Social Fallacy.

The problem is thus. For so many nerds, ostracizing another human being, especially a "fellow nerd" is such a horrible, unthinkable act that a significant number of people in any geeky social circle will continue to put up with unbelievably obnoxious behavior far past the point that most consider reasonable. They would rather tolerate someone who stinks of cat piss and onions and has the social graces of a randy wildebeest than ever even entertain the idea of telling someone they once considered a friend to fuck off.

That was very well put.

>trying to ostracize them would make us worse
Fuck that noise, your time and energy are just as valuable as theirs and if they're being a drain on every other person in your social circle they don't belong as a part of it. There's no need to bring moral posturing into it at all.

Everyone finds it hard to get rid of former friends, it's a pretty extreme solution and chances are there's a lot of nostalgia there
I have no idea why this was ever considered exclusive to nerds, lots of normies have at least one unstable/alcoholic friend

see, when there's an understanding in that "one free punch", it's fine since both parties are aware of and okay with it. It's much less okay when one of your players up and gut-punches you when you're hanging out away from game because you'd been having a heated argument over rules and he felt your rulings were "unfair".

had to kick the guy after that, since that kinda thing just isn't okay. he prolly should've seen it coming since he got kicked from a university anime club for the same kind of deal.

This may be me sperging, but I think that's a situation deserving much more than a kick

>Why do you guys even hang out with her then?

M is literally the only female any of them have a chance of fucking.

I gave my players three weeks to prepare for the new campaign. Contacted them near-daily. Asked them about their characters often. Talked about the setting in group chat. Built as much hype as I could.

10 minutes before the game was supposed to start, not one of them had finished their character sheets. 3 weeks. Not one of them could take 1 hour out of their "busy schedules" to prepare to play D&D with the group.

I told them to get the fuck out. I didn't run a game that night, and haven't run a game since.

There's a chance they're reading this. I hope so. I hope they realize they're all a bunch of assholes.

Some dipshits in a weeaboo sci-fi forum ar-pee kept trying to convince their GM to ban me because I was "being creepy" (read: I autojoined the chatroom for discussion of that specific plot and lurked after I stopped being active on their plot due to work). Like, they honestly thought I'd dox them or listen in on their conversations.

It was like a year of this - pinging me with "I think [PLAYER] should leave]" and variations, debates about how creepy it was I was there, me passively-aggressively changing my name to annoy them, and a failed attempt by my then-friend (yup, ~relationships on weeb forums~, etc.) to convince them that lurking wasn't a capital crime before the GM /finally/ banned me... because I made a joke he didn't take well to (I'm fairly certain everyone involved, me included, were actual spergs because the GM in question would get mad over the strangest things and would constantly talk about a book he was writing).

The funny thing is, he went through the logs and banned literally every nickchange I used... but didn't bother banning my IPs, so I'd spam the room with nickchanges on occasion. I don't think he bothered with trying to ban me because that specific plotthread died.

>ban all women
>fags like get buttflustered
>receive drama

>le greentext
>le I TROL U comment with complete lack of an argument
>le anime picture

in b4 "LE SAME POSTER", summer isn't even out yet

I know there's no perfect player, and that's fine. I'm usually good at managing or accepting my players' flaws as they usually deal with mine.
But after one year of playing and in one session, boy did they manage to hit a crescendo of shittiness. I'm done. I'm cutting the campaign about 2 months from it's end. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I'd rather play a game with NPCs only than run more session where everyone decides to shit in my Cheerios. Don't be me. Learn the warning signs and get out early.

Just don't reply.

>le
>in b4
>summer
Simmer down, Reddit.

user, step up and intervene.
If something is up, talk to people individually as a neutral party and hash it out.
>you are the problem and you know it

>texted me that he had raped her
>well, time to get the 10mm heater
Granted, I do shit like this, too, but I also realize what reaction I'm going to get.

was getting to the point of kicking a player due to arguments and lies causing other problems in the group
got lucky with his character dying and he got so buttmad that he doesnt want to come back and play with the group anymore

I usually DM for all guy groups, and I make it known at the beginning of the first session (and to any late joining players) that rule 0 is always in effect. If there are objections I make it known that after the session ends I will listen to and address them. However there are always some people who ignore this and try to disrupt the game to rules lawyer or to air a grievance. While I'll warn them twice, on the third time you're out of the game no exceptions.

that sounds a lot like the time my burnout went three-mile-island. I want to run a game but I sent a friend my homebrew to look at, merely to mark sections that are completely unreadable in marker, and after 2 weeks he hasn't started and now it's 3 weeks and I expect he hasn't done shit yet either. I think I'll never be a GM again.

there ended up not being any physical harm done, just an abrupt and unpleasant surprise. I didn't want to bother with legal bullshit, since it wasn't any major matter.

had amother instance where a player got mad after I went off on him (unfairly on my part, I'll admit) for trying to suicide his character for no reason. another (female) player went to stop him from storming off and he shoved her out of the way, which since she weighs about as much as a duck sent her flying, which gave her a concussion. he's not a bad guy, just needs his space. she should have known better than to get in his way. I had to reorganize that game minus that player.

That reorganized game fell apart because autism + sibling drama + some people can't separate in-character actions from the people playing those characters, which is why I'm never running a game for some of these people again.

I'm in need of some advice.

I'm a DM on a Nwn Server and yesterday I witnessed some things that got me worried.

One of the players involved is a 60+ years woman, whose character managed to deliver the final blow to the demon. Her character (Dwarf) was in bad shape, barely alive.

Another player started doing nasty stuff to Dwarf. Putting a rope around her neck, spitting on her, making her beg and crawl.

I know that this was all in character and this is a game, but I got the feeling that there was some kind of bullying there.

>trips that never happened

talk to him? or just say "knock it off"

Just talk to him

>One of the players involved is a 60+ years woman
>user recruited his mom to play with him

Learn to session 0 user.

>Join University TTRPG society
>No drama ever
>At worst a some people are a bit awkward
I'm scared of leaving and having to use roll20 or go to my lgs for games

This gives me hope for the potential future generations of gaming.

God damn, how new are you?

Been around long enough to recognize when someone tries way too hard to come off as a native but still bitches about anime pictures.

The correct response would've been to text her back asking if she liked it.

Well my assholes can't be bothered to read rules that concern their own characters
>playing Vampire the requiem 2ed
>Haven't read any of the disciplines they have
>Thought they work same as in Vampire the Masquarade
>Haven't read what any of the stuff vampire has does
>are surpraised when they get their asses handed to them

If you took the most disruptive member of my old group and replaced him with the girl who plays with us now, we wouldn't have had a year-long hiatus from RPGs in general while we cut the dude from our lives and dealt with the fallout.

She's a joy to have around and the group has never functioned better.

I once played ascension in a group here where a femalr player wanted to play a Sister of Battle turned Inquisitor, with PR 6, base stats of 40 each and the Radical's Handbook background package which gave free Soul Sight.

Then she found out you had to pay a Fate Point to.use the Soul Sight and threw a tantrum and tried to get me to back her up.

On the first session, she and the GM have cybersex for 3 hours and leave the rest of us hanging.

There was no second session.

I feel you, user. GSF is such a pain in the ass and you summarized it pretty well.

>Bullying
That sounds more like some kind of ERP.

Fuck those guys man, it's good that you burned bridges when you did dude.

>There was no second session.
And nothing of value was lost. Good on ya user.

I swear to God nerds are the worst when it comes to drama. I don't know if it's because they didn't get enough of it in highschool or what but Jesus tiddy fucking Christ it can get ridiculous.

I have seen entire gaming groups split apart over minor ego contests in a game. I have seen people take out personal vendettas against a store purely because they wanted to be the "leader'" of the community but did fuck all to build it up. I've been in stores where you would play a game, a guy would get up to go to the bathroom, and immediately other players would start gossipping behind his back and talking shit to stir up drama. I have seen Adepticon teams tear themselves apart over hilariously small slights because the members involved were too autistic to work out their differences. I've even see people get legitimately angry at someone for checking their codex or rulebook because they didn't just immediately take a complete stranger's word for a rule at a tournament. And God help you if a woman joins your group. She won't even need to do anything, guys will just go full retard all on their own.

I once heard of a guy get pissy he couldn't buy out half control of the FLGS, so he decided to open up his own store in another town the FLGS was planning on expanding to. The FLGS owner finds out, opens a new store within a fucking week by recruiting half the community to help him, and beats the other guy to the punch.Said FLGS is supposedly running said asshole into the ground from what last I heard.

It just blows my mind that people can be so petty in a hobby intended for "nerds". You would think for people regularly ostracized in their teenage years they would be above this kind of bullshit but no, quite the opposite.

I play these games to get away from the bullshit of day to day life, especially the drama that comes with work and college. The last fucking thing I want to deal with is nerd drama. I swear it gives teenage girls a run for their money.

I feel your pain user. I wish things weren't like this, but often people start behaving like assholes themselves once nobody's out there to get them. Don't know whether it's because of past experiences, or because most people are not so different.

>Playing Requiem

Well, that was your mistake number 1.

Aren't you exactly like the whiny nerds making a comment like this

I don't have any problems like that. We all assemble people around us that are like us

this so obviously the only girl in the group it hurts. all of your freinds who stick with her are gay

>I once heard of a guy get pissy he couldn't buy out half control of the FLGS, so he decided to open up his own store in another town the FLGS was planning on expanding to. The FLGS owner finds out, opens a new store within a fucking week by recruiting half the community to help him, and beats the other guy to the punch.Said FLGS is supposedly running said asshole into the ground from what last I heard.

This is too absurd and hardcore to be true. Anyone with that much dosh to throw around for petty revenge can't be that dumb with money.

You are not true friends
>Instead of straight up telling he is a dick and should stop being a dick and take responsibility, we just ignore & avoid him but keep him on a leash so we don't have to take responsibility for our actions as well
Straight up bullying

Not exactly relevant, but this is the closest thing to a That Guy thread that's sticking around.

I'm currently setting up for a horror campaign where a SWAT team equivalent investigates an alternate universe, the players will be keeping in touch with an NPC control team back home via wireless headsets.

How much of a dick move would it be for multiple teams from multiple universes to be investigating at the same time? (somewhat explained away by time shenanigans if they can look into it)

How much worse would it be if, part way through, comms cut out, and when they return they're actually talking to a different control team, and being referred to by an almost identical designation (for example, if the players are team Theta-13, after the switch the control team might be calling them Eta-13)?

I don't want this to come across as an ass-pull purely to fuck them over, but a fair part of their in character job is attention to detail, and that's why they specifically are being sent in.

Well, the OP DID straight up tell M to stop being a dick and her/she got punished for it by the rest of the group.

The group I'm with doesn't usually have a lot of problems, but there was a minor spat I had with a new guy who was joining us for a short 3.5e campaign intended to last three or five sessions. Things went smoothly throughout the first game and it was overall pretty fun; the party consisted of a Whisper Gnome Rogue, a Human Marshal, a Changeling Cleric, and the guy as a rather entertaining (if somewhat cliche) Half-Orc Barbarian. I was playing a Necropolitan Human Bard since I thought the idea of an undead musician would be interesting to play out as a PC and the DM gave me the go-ahead with the stipulation that I'd have a level adjustment.

Things progress nicely, but at the end, the topic of alignment came up for some reason. Around three of the players made Chaotic Good characters, so they were shocked that the Marshal was Lawful Neutral (even though we all showed our sheets to each other days in advance). It's pretty dumb on its own right, but it gets strange too -- they aren't concerned about the Lawful part like you'd expect, but rather him being Neutral. I point out that Neutral and Good aren't opposed to each other and they instantly get over it, so I'm guessing it was a kneejerk reaction or something. But in the process, I mention that my bard's True Neutral.

Hearing this, the half-orc player instantly replies, "No he's DEFINITELY Chaotic Neutral."

We hadn't dealt with any authorities in the game since we were hauling up in an abandoned tower, nobody said a word about any law, and pretty much all we did was kill some rats, loot some chests, and deal with some hostile hobgoblins scrounging around upstairs. His reasoning was that since I tried to talk to the goblins first instead of immediately charging into the room to subdue/kill them I was acting chaotically and that "True Neutral isn't something you just are" (which it is, it's the sitting-on-the-fence alignment).

Thankfully no one in the group cared enough about it so we dropped the debate.

I was thinking the same.
The pouting and staying calm in 1 on 1 convobbut right after bitch about against everyone behinds anons back, is what makes me think that.

One of the guys in the party I'm in is really bad at RP and its making the rest of the group uncomfortable.

He constantly plays girl characters and tries to do female voices but is really bad at them...

One example includes... "I looks up at him with my big bashful innocent eyes with wonder and ask him whats wrong? tee hee."

He actually said tee hee out loud...

He also tries to openly seduce/fuck the other guys characters all the time, and gets mad at us when we ask him to stop and starts pouting and being passive aggressive.

>"I looks up at him with my big bashful innocent eyes with wonder and ask him whats wrong? tee hee."
>He actually said tee hee out loud

Fucking hell

Nah, if you read through his post it sounds like they don't call M out until asking M to leave
I'm not saying that M is innocent or even that M isn't a shitty player and that the OP isn't right to get rid of M but it sounds like it could've been handled better

Stop playing with losers and random. Just make some friends and them play with them.

A lot of those guys spend however much dough on a lot of plastic crap that costs how much again?

I had a ThatKidā„¢ in a 2020 game. Felt his shit didn't stink, and would curry favor with the GMs to let his bullshit pass. It eventually devolved into his PC being shunned by the rest of the group - which in this case was fine, as it was text based I know, total plebian and the GM(s) could handle splinter factions in the game. More of an open world with players interacting the meta plot as they please.

ThatKidā„¢ essentially devolves into being a gang leader, being the king of his castle with a hefty price on his head IC - which was telegraphed to him beforehand. So we killed his character in game. He blew a gasket and came back under a different name with an additional character - his father, IRL.

We wound up killing that character, too, from a face to face dust-up IC. Same character of mine that killed his second PC.

This happened a few more times until he got the point. I'd like to state that none of us went out of our ways to goad him into it - every time, he'd puff out his ego and get smacked down for it (usually surviving, the first time). Wouldn't learn, and would come at the same PC over the same shit, and get killed in the process.

fuck you Storm, I'm glad you left the game.

>His reasoning was that since I tried to talk to the goblins first instead of immediately charging into the room to subdue/kill them I was acting chaotically
What.
Isn't that the EXACT OPPOSITE of chaotic?

Man, gotta love being in Eastern European society of players, a magical land where almost all players are fully developed adults without issues, there are next to no neckbeards (Most people actually care for their health to some degree), most of players are really knowledgeable in general topics, girls are regular sight at tables (And they are usually between 7 and 10 in looks and wits) and people realize that it is only a game, and not taking it to seriously.

Britbong here...

Is it fair to say American game groups are more likely to suffer from a "big personality" entering and messing up the group than other countries? Many Americans (of course not all or even most) I have met are sometimes brash and command a lot of attention and will overtly/covertly dominate things.

Well, you can't throw everyone into the same bag, as a saying goes, but from my personal observations on Polish Fantasy/Sci-fi enthusiasts, I can say following things:
1. They are usually a "jack of all trades" kind of hobbyists, meaning that if someone likes, lets say, RPGs, there is a pretty high chance he will have knowledge in gaming in general, movies, comics, history, literature and everything that may be associated with geeks and nerds (Since here it is one and the same thing, you can't be stupid geek, and you can't be nerd uninterested in fantasy and so on)
2. They have no problems with communicating and interacting with each other, since it is Slavic culture and you can befriend random people by offering vodka to them. (Beer, wine and vodka drinks are welcome on gaming table, and drinking at conventions is a tradition)
3. There is surprisingly large amount of females interested in topic, and damn, they are fine ladies.
4. Couples are common too and they almost never cause problems.
5. For every "weird" guy that almost no one understands, there is a guy with sick interpersonal skills that can actually understand that guy.

And that is my personal experience. I can't really talk how Americans gaming communities work, but if I were to judge by the usual comments here on Veeky Forums or some similar pages I do visit, I can see that people have kind of problems, that I personally never experienced, nor did I heard of one. (Maybe except some one in the million case, that compared to stories written here, would still be bearable)

Based Poland

Can't come Bro, there is no beer in Holy Land, and my stomach condition does not allow me to function without beer, so peace.
( This was actually an official "reason" why the polish king justified why exactly he can't attend murder-rave in Jerusalem )

Then he said, that on the other hand, he can go and crusade(and annex) those filthy pagans in his Eastern border

>Have you had any problems with your game group?

Sort of. Evidently, I was the problem

So, there's a group of people I've played with for over a decade.

When they had problems or shit happening in their lives, I made sure they stayed in our gaming group so they had somewhere to come where they could feel welcome and could have fun and let their IRL stress go for a bit. And when other group members would get upset at them for letting IRL stress influence the table, I stood up for them and made sure they could keep coming until they worked through it. I made sure people had a place where they could work through divorces, school problems, job losses...all that adult shit that takes its toll on your sanity. Without exaggerating, yeah, I was the guy people came to with their problems.

When *I* had a bad year (2015: multiple major injuries, financial and kid-related martial problems at home, finding out some really serious personal shit that my parents hid from me, and almost losing our house entirely), with no warning that this was coming, they told me that I was too depressing to have at the game table, and to leave and not contact (most) of them again, please. Please note that this shit didn't come up during the game, but only when directly asked how I'd been since the last game during pre-game social time. No warning, no nothing, just a Facebook message that, "we've decided you're no longer fit for this group". Not even anything in person.

I'm still friends with ONE of those guys (who's also on a rec sports team I play for and went out of his way to try and make what amends he could). I haven't shared a word with the rest since, and I haven't had an RPG group since.

Well, it looks like your group was a bunch of hypocritical twats, I guess...

Your example is so unfair to you. I can't even imagine.

I witnessed (wasn't really in) a group that had a similar 'problem' person, which was ironic in that the problem wasn't even at the table.

Basically her boyfriend (half the table were girls) had been through a bunch of serious falling-outs with everyone else in the group before their relationship (Not going to say anything specific for confidentiality but I know there was some sort of manipulative stuff going on). AFAIK she went into the relationship knowing this. And the group being relativly close work or school friends IRL meant here was no way she could miss any problems they had with him so she got upset and tried to lecture them on it, which slowly backfired over like 4 months before she ended up breaking up with the guy. Just couldn't take the lack of approval, but I had a hard time sympathizing because she told me (I learned most of this through her) that she knew it all before going out with him.

tl;dr your example is awful because you didn't even warrant it. At least you avoided the drama of someone knowingly risking problems, even if it didn't entirely go to shit for them

I've read a thread hijacked by a bunch of poles. There was much, much bitching about everything from original polish TTPRGs to polish community to Poland proper.
The resulting image was a far cry from what you're painting.

He got kicked from a group, therefore he's the problem. How hard is that to get? People don't just randomly kick out other people for doing the stuff they already do. Human nature doesn't work that way.

Might as well ask here in a few days I will be playing in a game for maidrpg with the gm being a player from a game I run. From what I hear about maidprg the game tends be random and all over the place sadly I don't really enjoy games where things get random just to be random but I still want to give the game a go. So my question is how should I go about this push comes to shove I just let him know that what was going on was not for me but I would like to play something for once.

lately i've been passive aggressive with them for acting like murderhobos and playing way too safe

I don't think it sounds like you're being an dick, that sounds awesome and fun to play.

Am American and don't have have these issues. But I play with friends.

Because it's obviously a girl by how they act. Getting rid of such an obnoxious guy would be easy and unanimous. By the fact that they are all friends yet split on this one person, M's actions, and the drama that would ensue means M is a girl with beta losers in her corner willing to do anything for attention.

That's pretty fukken sick actually. If you can pull off two 'similar' accents, like maybe Irish and Scottish, have the NPC team leader switch accents as well as designations.

Have you ever seen Fringe?

>murderhobos
Fine. That's not great.

>Playing way too safe
Elaborate.

Wow reading this thread makes me thankful for my group being so nontoxic. We're just a ragtag group of friends, and this is only the first/second time playing for some of us, but there's been no drama or bullshit to speak of. I guess a good DM makes a big difference.

It's 5e D&D, we're all pretty new to the game. There are four of us, all level 3, and there are two members of my party that relentlessly plan out every single fight and insist on checking every door. This doesn't sound too bad, but they get spooked when there's a room with just four orcs in it.

They don't even have a reason to play it safe like this, our DM has been throwing easy encounters at us the whole time. I tank as Paladin and I've never fallen below half HP. Our Cleric hasn't even taken damage in the past two sessions. It's frustrating the hell out of me, seeing an encounter that I could likely solo but having to wait for these two to hammer out their strategies and plan out their turns for so long.

I've tried bringing it up with them, how we're all actually really strong and the enemies haven't ever given us trouble, how each of us could probably deal with a room with 4 orcs by ourselves, but they just can't wrap their heads around the concept. It's bizarre to me how they're so invested in their characters' survival but the thought of roleplaying them beyond "I threaten the innkeeper" doesn't cross their minds.

Ah, one thing I forgot to add: They always give you input on what YOU should do. I keep quiet when other people are having their turns, but it seems like any time I'm presented with a choice they need to interject with advice (out of character, of course). Or when I'm trying to talk to an NPC while they're doing something else, they magically appear and interrupt the conversation.

Our fourth guy is great, though. He's green like the rest of us but he really gets creative with the way he uses his spells and roleplays out encounters. He's kinda inspiring with how much he genuinely has fun with the game - every session he's done something that cracked up the entire table. Really glad to have him.

Had these two players in my group, we'll call them A and B. If anybody remembers the story of a retarded warpriest charging through friendly walls of fire and then bitching that be died, that's A.

Regular DM is taking a vacation so our Pathfinder campaign is put on hold; I step up and offer to run a 4-part Call of Cthulhu game while he's away. Everyone thinks this is a cool idea, we decide to hold it at another player's house at the usual time.

Midway through the week, A says he won't be able to make it because of work. A hour before start time B texts us to say he also has to work late and can't make it. My other three players show up, we play, and I send off quick emails to A and B to fill them in on what happened.

The next week, A says he's not sure whether he can make it or not, B says work will again keep him from attending.

Week 3, we hear nothing from A or B before the game. An hour into our session, B texts the guy whose house we're at and asks for the address; he shows up a little later and plays. The about halfway through he announces that he has to leave early, and oh by the way he's joined a Pathfinder Society group that runs every other week on our game night so he can only come every other week from now on.

We hear nothing from A or B on week 4. Regular DM gets back from his vacation the following week and resumes the campaign. We hear nothing from A, and the four of us dis-invite B, since we're not prepared to put our game on hiatus every other week and he doesn't like the idea of missing the action.

Some weeks later, A sends us all an email asking what we're even playing. None of us reply.

Later still B sends us all an email announcing that his schedule has freed up (read: his PFS group crashed and burned). None of us reply to him either.

Smart money says it's an engineering college. So you don't have much hope of potential future generations.

This sort of backseat gaming is really not okay in my book.
But I'm guilty of wanting to be ultrasafe myself